Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,954 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:11 AM

George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia (54773 Views)

ASUU: Our Public Universities Are Still Unsafe For Reopening / Parents, Students Lament High ‘Acceptance Fee’ In Public Universities / ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by Nobody: 8:12pm On Oct 24, 2018
CodeTemplar:
You need to stop being emotional about freebies.
Govt can't sustain education subsidy at university level and oreover people enjoying these subsidies refuse to repay the system adequately so it makes sense to avoid free unconditional university education.

The logical thing to do is to make scholarship available for the brightest, make loans available for the bright one willing to work after graduation instead of training a runs girl who will end up as house wife.

one of the sensible one we have here, please tell them how difficult it is for government to fund public uni despite the tons of billion pumped into them.

then one illiterate would be saying covenant and co should be free or cheap as if its Their blood line the owner would use to do rituals to fund thier school

2 Likes

Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by AdesegunSanni89: 8:16pm On Oct 24, 2018
pat077:
Everyone has the right to be stupid, but you’re abusing the privilege. It's time to go back to ur cage.
You too go back to your coffin. Oku (you) kin ba alaye (me) rojo.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by 36pripa(m): 8:16pm On Oct 24, 2018
I think tuition is free already in federal universities here in Nigeria. What people pay for are auxiliary fees like hostel fee and the rest.

Even in the state university I know of, the part of school fees dedicated for "tuition" is only 10k per session.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by Nobody: 8:17pm On Oct 24, 2018
abbey621:

Hahaha....So top ivy league schools are comparable to Nigerian universities? This is comedy grin grin grin grin. The best universities in Nigeria are on par with some of the lowest ranked universities in the USA, come on now let's not expose ourselves here o grin grin grin

which is the cheapest public school here ( I think uniben which is 14k) go and find any good uni outside thats on par with uniben and tell me if its cheap compared to uniben..

you think schools are cheap outside majority of Americans go to uni tru scholarships, grants.... make them no deceive you

1 Like

Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by Hardeysolution(m): 8:18pm On Oct 24, 2018
Is it not free in Nigeria too? We only pay obligatory fees which I don't know why.. they call it levy. Tution fees being free doesn't mean you wouldn't pay anything... It should be declared free totally!
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by pat077: 8:23pm On Oct 24, 2018
AdesegunSanni89:
You too go back to your coffin. Oku (you) kin ba alaye (me) rojo.
I believe ur existence is an accident. U must Ve been born on an highway cos that's where accidents happens the most. Dickhead

1 Like

Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by INTEGRITYA1(m): 8:29pm On Oct 24, 2018
Great news
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by AdesegunSanni89: 8:39pm On Oct 24, 2018
pat077:
I believe ur existence is an accident. U must Ve been born on an highway cos that's where accidents happens the most. Dickhead
E pain am. Rest on my friend. say hello to Ojukwu.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by InansBobo(m): 8:39pm On Oct 24, 2018
obaataaokpaewu:
Nigerian public (federal) universities have been enjoying FREE TUITION since time immemorial nah
I was surprised at all the comments before yours oo, I knew the reason why private universities are very expensive is because of the tuition they pay that public universities' students don't..
Thank you jare
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by TruthinAction: 8:42pm On Oct 24, 2018
If Nigeria can't do it, education should be subsidized. What is destroying our nation is selfishness and greed and mumu followers who will still prefer to vote leaders that are destroying the nation.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by pat077: 8:45pm On Oct 24, 2018
AdesegunSanni89:
E pain am. Rest on my friend. say hello to Ojukwu.
ur ass must be jealous of the amount of shit that comes out from your mouth. Ur fellow animals beckons.... Go meet them thier cage... It's late already.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by emperorblog(m): 8:46pm On Oct 24, 2018
meanwhile somewhere in nigeria
they are increasing fee by 300 percent
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by AdesegunSanni89: 8:49pm On Oct 24, 2018
pat077:
ur ass must be jealous of the amount of shit that comes out from your mouth. Ur fellow animals beckons.... Go meet them thier cage... It's late already.
A living animal is more useful than a dead man like you. Adieu boy. Greet Abacha and Ojukwu.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by pat077: 8:58pm On Oct 24, 2018
AdesegunSanni89:
A living animal is more useful than a dead man like you. Adieu boy. Greet Abacha and Ojukwu.
glad u know u are an animal. Sorry for being harsh on u... Cos that's an abuse on ur fundamental animal rights.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by alexvatt(m): 9:00pm On Oct 24, 2018
HigherEd:
The trick isn't making it free but making it effective. Africa hasn't suffered from the lack of affordable universities as much as it has from innefective ones. Politicians do not tell people the truth and we the people largely misunderstand the concept of Universities.

Universities are to be solution providers, which in the process of proferring solutions produce graduates who can in turn mass produce solutions for challenges in the wider society. Therefore a university that does not produce solutions in itself is not qualified to be called an ivory tower because it would not produce relevant graduates.

The Harvard of today might be out of the reach of the poor but it has contributed to human development remarkably. As a matter of fact the expensive Harvard has helped the poor of Africa more than all the free instistutions in Africa combined...

I would rather have an expensive University that would produce drugs that would cure my poor African brethren of their ailments than the universities which gives them fake free education but shortens their life span with Stress.

While i am not against free education i am of the opinion that quality should not be sacrificed on the alter of affordability...

Fool, the ones in Nigeria u are paying huge amount for, what solutions are they providing?
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by AdesegunSanni89: 9:02pm On Oct 24, 2018
pat077:
glad u know u are an animal. Sorry for being harsh on u... Cos that's an abuse on ur fundamental animal rights.
slowpoke, aren't you also an animal. But sadly you are a dead animal. keep resting in peace boy
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by causimalbarka(m): 9:03pm On Oct 24, 2018
brother nice one..
u really made a very good point.
God bless u.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by Topmaike007(m): 9:04pm On Oct 24, 2018
Ogaga87:
When men understand this line of Dube's song, EDUCATION IS THE DA KEY.... Not this mumu in our country that does know the value.. ALMAJIRI.COM
wetin obj,yaradua and Gej do during their tenure pls leave the old man alone, some of you can't even rule your home talk of a whole community. shocked

1 Like

Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by HigherEd: 9:06pm On Oct 24, 2018
alexvatt:
Fool, the ones in Nigeria u are paying huge amount for, what solutions are they providing?
You are indeed the fool if you fail to realise that much of this universities are very young. But they are in fact best placed to be centers of excellence in the future.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by alexvatt(m): 9:07pm On Oct 24, 2018
HigherEd:

Please i hope you realise that Liberia's best university doesn't rank top 18,000 in the world university rankings. Despite a poor representation by private unis, the University of Liberia and other public schools are not even indexed at all. So if they did this badly with tuition fees, how would they fair without tuition?

A university ranked 18,000 below is definitely not doing any research, not even inferior one.
What then is the point of education if it isn't worth more than the paper it was printed on.

My advise to Liberia is for them to focus free qualititative education for primary and secondary schools while permitting people to work good jobs with their High School Certificate(e.g Banking, Telecoms etc) This would disincentive too many people from going to universities which would then allow them to provide top notch education for bright individuals to service specific professional sectors(e.g Medicine, Pharmacy, Engineering, Law)

Some people can be foolish. So u are still waiting for the world for ur success. Big fool

Lalasticlala codetemplar
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by nextstep(m): 9:09pm On Oct 24, 2018
In other news... educational standards in Liberia have fallen, teachers on strike for not being paid, facilities unmaintained. I can't even say it's a "good gesture" because it's so obvious where this is going to end.

We discussed this recently in https://www.nairaland.com/4793900/fayemi-declares-free-education-less
No plans for improving revenue, but already adding liabilities.

HigherEd:

My advise to Liberia is for them to focus free qualititative education for primary and secondary schools while permitting people to work good jobs with their High School Certificate(e.g Banking, Telecoms etc) This would disincentive too many people from going to universities which would then allow them to provide top notch education for bright individuals to service specific professional sectors(e.g Medicine, Pharmacy, Engineering, Law)

Very well said.

2 Likes

Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by annnikky(f): 9:09pm On Oct 24, 2018
SilentWisper:
nothing is free even in free town.dem go still pay ,but it won't be that expensive
One way or the other they'll pay.. Lol
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by Sike(m): 9:11pm On Oct 24, 2018
This is great
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by annnikky(f): 9:11pm On Oct 24, 2018
agoro2u:

Read & understand the phrase "TUITION" , all Nigerian Federal university are tuition free if you doubt check their school fee receipt
cheesy cheesy I dey hail oo mr tuition free man tongue
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by annnikky(f): 9:12pm On Oct 24, 2018
mimimile93:
Yes it can happen. And it will happen once PMB is sworn into office for second term.
shocked cheesy cheesy story for the amadioha undecided
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by pat077: 9:12pm On Oct 24, 2018
AdesegunSanni89:
slowpoke, aren't you also an animal. But sadly you are a dead animal. keep resting in peace boy
who let this dog out??
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by bilulu(m): 9:36pm On Oct 24, 2018
AdesegunSanni89:
But you don't mind spending 6 million Naira for one-year masters program in a third-tier university in England abi? hypocrite
wat has he even done to stop people seeking education in oversea? Don't u think if he should borrow a leaf from Weah our educational system might b better? it's not always about fight n politics but about how Nigeria will be better.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by DonCortino: 9:44pm On Oct 24, 2018
Ventura1:
In Nigerian, gullible citizen will be the one to defend their leaders when they increase school fees.

Which one does buhari have?
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by otipoju(m): 9:44pm On Oct 24, 2018
HigherEd:
The trick isn't making it free but making it effective. Africa hasn't suffered from the lack of affordable universities as much as it has from innefective ones. Politicians do not tell people the truth and we the people largely misunderstand the concept of Universities.

Universities are to be solution providers, which in the process of proferring solutions produce graduates who can in turn mass produce solutions for challenges in the wider society. Therefore a university that does not produce solutions in itself is not qualified to be called an ivory tower because it would not produce relevant graduates.

The Harvard of today might be out of the reach of the poor but it has contributed to human development remarkably. As a matter of fact the expensive Harvard has helped the poor of Africa more than all the free instistutions in Africa combined...

I would rather have an expensive University that would produce drugs that would cure my poor African brethren of their ailments than the universities which gives them fake free education but shortens their life span with Stress.

While i am not against free education i am of the opinion that quality should not be sacrificed on the alter of affordability...

Higher education is free in countries like Sweden, Norway,Denmark and finland yet its till of top notch quality.

With the kind of money that Nigeria makes daily, we can have quality education at least up to Bachelors degree for free.

It can as well be adapted to " Government pays staff salaries" while students are employed in various teams to maintain facilities as a way to pay for cost of tuition.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by 360command: 9:58pm On Oct 24, 2018
HigherEd:

Please i hope you realise that Liberia's best university doesn't rank top 18,000 in the world university rankings. Despite a poor representation by prie unis, the University of Liberia and other public schools are not even indexed at all. So if they did this badly with tuition fees, how would they fair without tuition?

A university ranked 18,000 below is definitely not doing any research, not even inferior one.
What then is the point of education if it isn't worth more than the paper it was printed on.

Lalasticlala codetemplar
Mr, go and use your uni graduates to solve the light problem, Insecurity problem..

You rely on economic romantism to tell you the ranking of the best universities.. He who waits on "white men" to do d ranking for u, will fail 10 out of 10times..
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by nkemjacob2(m): 10:01pm On Oct 24, 2018
How he has a means of sustaining and generating funds from it
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by CodeTemplar: 10:06pm On Oct 24, 2018
360command:
Mr, go and use your uni graduates to solve the light problem, Insecurity problem..

You rely on economic romantism to tell you the ranking of the best universities.. He who waits on "white men" to do d ranking for u, will fail 10 out of 10times..
It does not work out like that man. Solutions are provided but may not be adopted for some strange purposes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Michael Okpara University (MOUAU) 2014/2015 postume form on sale / UNN Exam Question After 8 Months Of ASUU Strike (Pictured) / Noble Eyisi Graduates With 1st Class In The UK After Suspension From UNIZIK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.