Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,605 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:04 PM

George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia (54790 Views)

ASUU: Our Public Universities Are Still Unsafe For Reopening / Parents, Students Lament High ‘Acceptance Fee’ In Public Universities / ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by CodeTemplar: 10:11pm On Oct 24, 2018
otipoju:

Higher education is free in countries like Sweden, Norway,Denmark and finland yet its till of top notch quality.

With the kind of money that Nigeria makes daily, we can have quality education at least up to Bachelors degree for free.

It can as well be adapted to " Government pays staff salaries" while students are employed in various teams to maintain facilities as a way to pay for cost of tuition.
Higher Education may be free in those countries but can you enjoy the education and just walk away like Nigerian graduates do to public uni and government ?

Can you pay less than 10% tax in those nations like Nigeria?
The simple answer is NO.

You can't copy and paste policies partially like that. It will amount to disaster.

Government needs more than free education to get value out of graduates.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by drotba(m): 10:14pm On Oct 24, 2018
HigherEd:
The trick isn't making it free but making it effective. Africa hasn't suffered from the lack of affordable universities as much as it has from innefective ones. Politicians do not tell people the truth and we the people largely misunderstand the concept of Universities.

Universities are to be solution providers, which in the process of proferring solutions produce graduates who can in turn mass produce solutions for challenges in the wider society. Therefore a university that does not produce solutions in itself is not qualified to be called an ivory tower because it would not produce relevant graduates.

The Harvard of today might be out of the reach of the poor but it has contributed to human development remarkably. As a matter of fact the expensive Harvard has helped the poor of Africa more than all the free instistutions in Africa combined...

I would rather have an expensive University that would produce drugs that would cure my poor African brethren of their ailments than the universities which gives them fake free education but shortens their life span with Stress.

While i am not against free education i am of the opinion that quality should not be sacrificed on the alter of affordability...

People like you really are educated.Very sound reasoning!
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by Johnrake69: 10:45pm On Oct 24, 2018
HigherEd:
The trick isn't making it free but making it effective. Africa hasn't suffered from the lack of affordable universities as much as it has from innefective ones. Politicians do not tell people the truth and we the people largely misunderstand the concept of Universities.

Universities are to be solution providers, which in the process of proferring solutions produce graduates who can in turn mass produce solutions for challenges in the wider society. Therefore a university that does not produce solutions in itself is not qualified to be called an ivory tower because it would not produce relevant graduates.

The Harvard of today might be out of the reach of the poor but it has contributed to human development remarkably. As a matter of fact the expensive Harvard has helped the poor of Africa more than all the free instistutions in Africa combined...

I would rather have an expensive University that would produce drugs that would cure my poor African brethren of their ailments than the universities which gives them fake free education but shortens their life span with Stress.

While i am not against free education i am of the opinion that quality should not be sacrificed on the alter of affordability...

Making schools expensive is actually not in the interest of humanity. And yes it's possible to have well trained professional at a very low cost. Fidel Castro did it with Cuba. Today, Cuba matches all the first world countries in terms of well-being, life expectancy, infant mortality rate and so on. Cuban doctors are recognised by America and yet, medical students in Cuba do not pay tuition. Instead, the school pays them stipends.

Doctor to patient ratio in Cuba is 6.7 when compared to America's 2.4. So what is the essence of making schools expensive when it leads to higher cost of living?

When we leave essential services to profiteering we will all suffer at the end. That's why we hire foreign contractors to do common road maintenance, they make profit at our expense. Because money will never be enough we go back to borrow. Roads that government can mobilise the ministry of works to do
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by Saka18(m): 10:48pm On Oct 24, 2018
HigherEd:

Uncle Higher Education thank you Sir.

You don't need expensive education to make a positive impact. So you are telling me those who made impact in life spent millions ba.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by einsteine(m): 10:52pm On Oct 24, 2018
paix:
Is it?

Yes it is free for federal universities
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by einsteine(m): 10:56pm On Oct 24, 2018
Johnrake69:

Making schools expensive is actually not in the interest of humanity. And yes it's possible to have well trained professional at a very low cost. Fidel Castro did it with Cuba. Today, Cuba matches all the first world countries in terms of well-being, life expectancy, infant mortality rate and so on. Cuban doctors are recognised by America and yet, medical students in Cuba do not pay tuition. Instead, the school pays them stipends.

Doctor to patient ratio in Cuba is 6.7 when compared to America's 2.4. So what is the essence of making schools expensive when it leads to higher cost of living?

When we leave essential services to profiteering we will all suffer at the end. That's why we hire foreign contractors to do common road maintenance, they make profit at our expense. Because money will never be enough we go back to borrow. Roads that government can mobilise the ministry of works to do

If you are giving the opportunity to emigrate to either the United States or Cuba, are you saying you would choose Cuba? Communism has failed woefully. Cuba is not a success. Do your research .
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by Johnrake69: 11:02pm On Oct 24, 2018
CodeTemplar:
You need to stop being emotional about freebies.
Govt can't sustain education subsidy at university level and oreover people enjoying these subsidies refuse to repay the system adequately so it makes sense to avoid free unconditional university education.

The logical thing to do is to make scholarship available for the brightest, make loans available for the bright one willing to work after graduation instead of training a runs girl who will end up as house wife.

The problem is not education subsidy. It's simply lack of foresight and the fact that we all lack morals and we believe in profiteering at the expense of the human race. It's not in the best interests of humanity to have expensive schools. And yes it's possible to maintain education subsidy.

Fidel Castro left that as a legacy. Medical students in Cuba don't pay tuition and the school pays them stipends. And this singular policy has transformed Cuba's public health. Cubans might not have the money to spend on luxurious goods but they have what is important... Well being! Doctors to patients ratio is 6.7 compared to America's 2.4. Cuba spends just about 10% of what it cost to train an American doctor.
Despite the frosty relationship between America and Cuba, Cuban doctors are recognised by America.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by Eagleword14(f): 11:07pm On Oct 24, 2018
Wow!
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by Johnrake69: 11:14pm On Oct 24, 2018
einsteine:

If you are giving the opportunity to emigrate to either the United States or Cuba, are you saying you would choose Cuba? Communism has failed woefully. Cuba is not a success. Do your research .

Many will choose America because they don't really understand life and what's really important. As a Cuban you're entitled to annual medical check. It's enshrined in their constitution. And coming to Communism, it didn't fail on its own. Do you have an idea about several trade embargo Cuba was slammed with?

A Cuban have more access to a doctor than an American. Infant mortality rate is lower in Cuba, while life expectancy matches that of the first world countries. So how did they fail? Because they don't have the money to buy luxurious goods they don't need to be in perfect health?
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by abbey621(m): 11:45pm On Oct 24, 2018
AdesegunSanni89:
You are a joke. So Nigerian Universities should continue to be mediocre by staying cheap? Those of you praising George Weah are free to relocate to Liberia and enjoy the free education. Let us see whether you will have anything to show after wasting your time there. Goerge Weah just took a horrible decision.

You're not making sense, no one is saying top schools must be cheap but if you think the higher the cost of education, the more quality then you are delusional! George Weah did what was best for his people, it might not wok in Nigeria but at least he did something!
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by revolt(m): 11:46pm On Oct 24, 2018
Yeeeeey destroy the countries economy like our gowon subsidized everything.....then finally deal the killer blow to your education system..FREE EDUCATION IS AND WILL NEVER BE A GOOD POLICY. Anything free looses its value. He should give scholarships on a mass level to intelligent students.

1 Like

Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by abbey621(m): 12:02am On Oct 25, 2018
jade14:

which is the cheapest public school here ( I think uniben which is 14k) go and find any good uni outside thats on par with uniben and tell me if its cheap compared to uniben..

you think schools are cheap outside majority of Americans go to uni tru scholarships, grants.... make them no deceive you

Who said schools were cheap outside? The argument here is that top education is expensive which is a fallacy! 90% of ivy league schools are expensive because of reputation and networking not necessarily their advance curriculum. I can bet my last penny that the curriculum at Georgia Tech is just as advanced as Harvard or Princeton but if you wan to be a future politician or someone great then you must attend ivy league school. Please tell me what graduates are getting by graduating from Babcock or Unilag nowadays?
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by ogorwyne(f): 3:12am On Oct 25, 2018
crea8graphix:
Lack of vision. He thinks he is doing good for his country but this action is very harmful in the long run.

My thoughts exactly. How would these schools be funded? The university is supposed to generate revenue, total dependence on the government would have a crippling effect. I nor follow people praise am for this one. University Education should be affordable not free. I fear for the Liberian school system in no distant time.

2 Likes

Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by Evangkatsoulis: 3:21am On Oct 25, 2018
annnikky:
Can such ever happen In Nigeria? I guess No undecided

Err, federal universities in Nigeria are tuition free. Tuition fee is just a small part of ya school fees.

1 Like

Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by ddeola: 3:24am On Oct 25, 2018
This na person wey get sense
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by Okpotud(m): 3:38am On Oct 25, 2018
It will never happen in my country... The only thing that unite Nigeria elites is lootin
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by Ranchhoddas: 6:22am On Oct 25, 2018
HigherEd:

Thank you!

It's a very reckless move.
Free education is hardly a good thing.

1 Like

Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by CodeTemplar: 6:25am On Oct 25, 2018
Johnrake69:

The problem is not education subsidy. It's simply lack of foresight and the fact that we all lack morals and we believe in profiteering at the expense of the human race. It's not in the best interests of humanity to have expensive schools. And yes it's possible to maintain education subsidy.

Fidel Castro left that as a legacy. Medical students in Cuba don't pay tuition and the school pays them stipends. And this singular policy has transformed Cuba's public health. Cubans might not have the money to spend on luxurious goods but they have what is important... Well being! Doctors to patients ratio is 6.7 compared to America's 2.4. Cuba spends just about 10% of what it cost to train an American doctor.
Despite the frosty relationship between America and Cuba, Cuban doctors are recognised by America.
You spoke well but forgot Cuba is a small country with less corruption and they purposely targeted health sciences related fields.

Nigerian students alone is almost the population of Cuba. How will govt then do this for everybody? A poor govt at that...
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by CodeTemplar: 6:30am On Oct 25, 2018
ddeola:
This na person wey get sense
disagree with you. university education is expensive and without a good source of huge income he will regret that move speedily.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by CodeTemplar: 6:42am On Oct 25, 2018
Saka18:

Uncle Higher Education thank you Sir.

You don't need expensive education to make a positive impact. So you are telling me those who made impact in life spent millions ba.

What he is saying is that somebody spent the millions on their behalf and they are not even aware of that. The population of Nigerian public uni students have gone up 10 times over the last 20 years and it will be bad to keep using same funding model.
What HigherEd is saying is that govt does not have to give cheap and ineffective education to satisfy peoples ego, let them give quality education first then those who were educated can provide solutions effectively. It is better to have 2000 quality mechatronics engineer each year than have 15,000 certificate holding but non practicing mechatronics engineer roaming the internet. The 2000 can set a high and productive standard for all those coming behind them and govt can then do a proper estimate of what is needed to subsidize 15,000 of them.

2 Likes

Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by CodeTemplar: 6:51am On Oct 25, 2018
Evangkatsoulis:

Err, federal universities in Nigeria are tuition free. Tuition fee is just a small part of ya school fees.
Thank you. most people don't know their 20 - 50k tuition is just a fraction of what govt pays towards their education.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by CodeTemplar: 7:00am On Oct 25, 2018
abbey621:

Who said schools were cheap outside? The argument here is that top education is expensive which is a fallacy! 90% of ivy league schools are expensive because of reputation and networking not necessarily their advance curriculum. I can bet my last penny that the curriculum at Georgia Tech is just as advanced as Harvard or Princeton but if you wan to be a future politician or someone great then you must attend ivy league school. Please tell me what graduates are getting by graduating from Babcock or Unilag nowadays?
You are very ignorant and arrogant about it.
The govt subsidizes unilag students heavily and it will be a foolish move to compare the tuition paid by Babcock student to unilag student on the surface. Going deep a little will reveal unilag gets about 300k plus per student from the government. So factor that into you argument and adjust accordingly.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by efighter: 7:15am On Oct 25, 2018
Anigreat:
shocked

Time to send a lifeless person to daura, so we can enjoy this type of thing Liberians are enjoying under president Weah.

Same way you enjoyed it under the government of the drunk fisherman from Otuoke with a fake PhD. Under Goatluck Jonaddaft's regime with Nyesom Wike the wicked as Minister of Education, Nigerian Universities were shut for about one year for lack of money while Mama Piss Sheppopo, Deizaini the executive prostitute, puffpuff cheeked World Bank fraudster Ngozi Okonjo-Iwealla, the kleptomaniac Princess Stella Oduah and other agents of the devil were looting and sharing our treasury.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by CodeTemplar: 7:21am On Oct 25, 2018
abbey621:

You're not making sense, no one is saying top schools must be cheap but if you think the higher the cost of education, the more quality then you are delusional! George Weah did what was best for his people, it might not wok in Nigeria but at least he did something!

Weah has done what he knows but Nigerian govt has been offering free education for ages. just check what govt spends on each federal uni student yearly and realize that. Tuition you guys cry about is still a fraction of the subsidy being enjoyed.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by Nobody: 7:53am On Oct 25, 2018
Biingoo:
God!!! yet I spent nothing less than 1.5m for my twin girls per annum in this useless country. May God remember us ooh! Make the Liberian breeze blow reach naija Biko!

EASY WITH THE LIES, SIR
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by Biingoo: 7:58am On Oct 25, 2018
JamaicanLove:

EASY WITH THE LIES, SIR
You're stupid. I don't know why ugly girls like you don't have respect for elders.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by Johnrake69: 8:14am On Oct 25, 2018
CodeTemplar:
You spoke well but forgot Cuba is a small country with less corruption and they purposely targeted health sciences related fields.

Nigerian students alone is almost the population of Cuba. How will govt then do this for everybody? A poor govt at that...

With a selfless leader it's possible. I refuse to see population as a problem when in fact, it should work in your advantage. Japan is currently experiencing population decline and it's a massive problem for them because at the current rate their future population can't support their economy.

I believe Fidel Castro would have succeeded with Nigeria because there was sincerity of purpose which every African leaders Rulers don't have. If you have a leader from a wealthy home, who realised that the poor farmers have been cheated and his first policy was to seize his family farm lands and share to the peasant farmers to improve productivity. Something his mother never forgave him for.

What is making us poor is not subsidy it's that profiteering mindset championed by capitalism. For every endeavour someone must make profit. That's why we will continue to have poor and substandard infrastructure. Let's take Lagos for instance, a vibrant ministry of works with sufficient work force that is paid living wage and well equipped too can fix all the roads in Lagos. Where you need expatriates you national some expatriates and add them to your work force. But no, we give out contracts with over bloated figures while government officials collect kick backs. All the professionals in our ministries are idle because using them won't provide much avenue for profiteering.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by ladyn4real(f): 8:48am On Oct 25, 2018
Chai, what a leader!
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by Nobody: 8:58am On Oct 25, 2018
Biingoo:
You're stupid. I don't know why ugly girls like you don't have respect for elders.

This just confirms it.

Cheap liar.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by Nobody: 9:06am On Oct 25, 2018
Biingoo:

Well, you don't deserve any from me.

Stupid ass
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by Biingoo: 9:19am On Oct 25, 2018
JamaicanLove:

Well, you don't deserve any from me.

Stupid ass
And who your respect help? Ugly pieces of shit!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

UNN Exam Question After 8 Months Of ASUU Strike (Pictured) / Noble Eyisi Graduates With 1st Class In The UK After Suspension From UNIZIK / 2013 Jamb Results Remarked???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.