Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,553 members, 7,801,559 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:10 PM

George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia (54762 Views)

ASUU: Our Public Universities Are Still Unsafe For Reopening / Parents, Students Lament High ‘Acceptance Fee’ In Public Universities / ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by abbey621(m): 4:56pm On Oct 25, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Covenant Uni and Ilorin have been teaching java for ages. I remember prof Ibiyemi coming on stage in a general assembly to justify the choice of java language then.
Even architecture student in covenant switched from manual drawing in 2003 to CAD based systemof drawing. I am sure there are one or two other private schools like that also.
Don't make the mistake of throwing out the baby with the bath water.

When did Covenant start teaching Java? What's the course number? I have no doubt one or two universities might be trending in the right direction but they still pale in comparison to the rest of the advanced world. At this stage, we should be talking about JavaScript, Python and even Swift yet we are strugglong to see one or two universities spinkle in Java, anyways kudos to the universities you mentioned, back in my days na Cobol and C language we got and that was at 300 level or above....RIDICULOUS angry
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by TheVictorious(m): 7:29pm On Oct 25, 2018
abbey621:

When did Covenant start teaching Java? What's the course number? I have no doubt one or two universities might be trending in the right direction but they still pale in comparison to the rest of the advanced world. At this stage, we should be talking about JavaScript, Python and even Swift yet we are strugglong to see one or two universities spinkle in Java, anyways kudos to the universities you mentioned, back in my days na Cobol and C language we got and that was at 300 level or above....RIDICULOUS angry

Covenant University website has virtually everything you need to know about the school. Ranging from departments, course contents, brief description and objetive of courses, lecturers'profile, etc. https://covenantuniversity.edu.ng/Colleges/CST/SNAS/Computer-Information-Sciences#.W9IIkntKi00

You could download the comp. science handbook for prospective undergraduates: https://covenantuniversity.edu.ng/content/download/52559/356315/file/Computer%20Science%20Handbook.pdf
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by CodeTemplar: 7:52pm On Oct 25, 2018
@thevictorious nice post.

1 Like

Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by CodeTemplar: 7:59pm On Oct 25, 2018
abbey621:

At the end of the day, programming languages can but deceptive. What matters most are the principles of programming and Nigerian schools are doing well enough in my opinion. Content and mode of its delivery are more of lecturer attitude influenced issues. I insist uni education isn't cheap anywhere, not even in eastern Europe as people tend to argue.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by abbey621(m): 9:08pm On Oct 25, 2018
TheVictorious:

Covenant University website has virtually everything you need to know about the school. Ranging from departments, course contents, brief description and objetive of courses, lecturers'profile, etc. https://covenantuniversity.edu.ng/Colleges/CST/SNAS/Computer-Information-Sciences#.W9IIkntKi00

You could download the comp. science handbook for prospective undergraduates: https://covenantuniversity.edu.ng/content/download/52559/356315/file/Computer%20Science%20Handbook.pdf

Sorry this (CSC 313: Object-Oriented Programming: (2 Units)) is the only course that mentions Java, it's like trying to teach a kid to read a novel and starting off by reciting the alphabets. No need to argue here, clearly you are not a computer science student so it wouldn't be fair to hold you to such standards.

1 Like

Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by abbey621(m): 9:16pm On Oct 25, 2018
CodeTemplar:
At the end of the day, programming languages can but deceptive. What matters most are the principles of programming and Nigerian schools are do well enough in my opinion. content and mode of its delivery are more of lecturer attitude influenced issues. I insist uni education isn't cheap anywhere, not even in eastern Europe as people tend to argue.

Once again I disagree, when it comes to programming, you not only need the fundamentals but the practical and repetitive actions as well. Maybe it's the programmer in me talking or perhaps the auditor in me but you cannot boast of a well rounded computer science program by teaching only fundamental theories. It took me just 3 months to learn Javascript here in the U.S. whereas after 5 to 6 years of schooling, I could barely write more than a page of coding. This is why I maintain that expensive schooling does not necessarily translate into effective graduates. Don't get me wrong there are areas where we excel in Nigerian universities such as theater arts, general studies and so on but when it comes to science or engineering, we are still operating in the 80s. Covenant, Babcock, Unilag, UI and the rest are like kindagrteens compared to an ordinry technical school here in the states, a technical school that costs less than $1000 per program, now that's what I call QUALITY!
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by CodeTemplar: 9:45pm On Oct 25, 2018
abbey621:

Once again I disagree, when it comes to programming, you not only need the fundamentals but the practical and repetitive actions as well. Maybe it's the programmer in me talking or perhaps the auditor in me but you cannot boast of a well rounded computer science program by teaching only fundamental theories. It took me just 3 months to learn Javascript here in the U.S. whereas after 5 to 6 years of schooling, I could barely write more than a page of coding. This is why I maintain that expensive schooling does not necessarily translate into effective graduates. Don't get me wrong there are areas where we excel in Nigerian universities such as theater arts, general studies and so on but when it comes to science or engineering, we are still operating in the 80s. Covenant, Babcock, Unilag, UI and the rest are like kindagrteens compared to an ordinry technical school here in the states, a technical school that costs less than $1000 per program, now that's what I call QUALITY!
Do those technical schools (TEs) teach a single language or many languages?
Is it a course they take eg java programming, python or even design patterns or how are they structured?
Please give example of some of those TEs so I can grasp what you are referring to.

In the meantime I like to let you know that java programming thought in any university in the world cannot cover 15% of java language. what universities do mostly is to introduce you to relevant technical topics and course. introduction barely covers 10% of the workload most times.

2 Likes

Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by abbey621(m): 10:10pm On Oct 25, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Do those technical schools (TEs) teach a single language or many languages?
Is it a course they take eg java programming, python or even design patterns or how are they structured?
Please give example of some of those TEs so I can grasp what you are referring to.

In the meantime I like to let you know that java programming thought in any university in the world cannot cover 15% of java language. what universities do mostly is to introduce you to relevant technical topics and course. introduction barely covers 10% of the workload most times.

It's one course led by an instructor with practical applications and it varies from object oriented programming to data modeling. Each school varies but the popular ones are using Javascript or the new craze in town Ruby on Rails.

Once again you are wrong, an average computer science program in the U.S. covers more than fundamentals or introduction. For example t GTech if you are a computer science student and you chose the System Architecture path, you'll learn over 15 courses relating to programming, specifically object oriented, data models and embedded designs, here is the link https://www.cc.gatech.edu/systems-architecture.

Forget o, the world has gone far beyond our 80s syllabus being used. Don't even let me get started with what they are doing in Japan and China, those ones are operating on a different frequency....lol

1 Like

Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by CodeTemplar: 10:32pm On Oct 25, 2018
abbey621:

It's one course led by an instructor with practical applications and it varies from object oriented programming to data modeling. Each school varies but the popular ones are using Javascript or the new craze in town Ruby on Rails.

Once again you are wrong, an average computer science program in the U.S. covers more than fundamentals or introduction. For example t GTech if you are a computer science student and you chose the System Architecture path, you'll learn over 15 courses relating to programming, specifically object oriented, data models and embedded designs, here is the link https://www.cc.gatech.edu/systems-architecture.

Forget o, the world has gone far beyond our 80s syllabus being used. Don't even let me get started with what they are doing in Japan and China, those ones are operating on a different frequency....lol
From what i know some schools do decide to narrow down some courses right from first degree level. The link you provided points to a specialized form of CS.

I know some schools who also major in batch programming aspect of CS right from first degree.

What Nigerian schools teach is more of the generic CS that covers a bit of everything or introduction to courses like accounting, medical sysyem and engineering that complement CS skills.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by CodeTemplar: 10:46pm On Oct 25, 2018
@abbey621, I can't see design patterns there. That's a major aspect of CS. No RDBMS also.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by abbey621(m): 10:51pm On Oct 25, 2018
CodeTemplar:
From what i know some schools do decide to narrow down some courses right from first degree level. The link you provided points to a specialized form of CS.

I know some schools who also major in batch programming aspect of CS right from first degree.

What Nigerian schools teach is more of the generic CS that covers a bit of everything or introduction to courses like accounting, medical sysyem and engineering that complement CS skills.

Now you're talking. You're right Nigeria covers the basic fundamentals which is why most of the syllabus operates on C programming. Unfortunately in the advanced world, this is not good enough. I was laughed out of about 3 to 4 interviews before it dawned on me that my degree in computer science was subpar. I pray we get it right one day because 4 to 5 years of fundamentals is really ridiculous when other countries are achieving full knowledge integration and implementation.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by abbey621(m): 10:57pm On Oct 25, 2018
CodeTemplar:
@abbey621, I can't see design patterns there. That's a major aspect of CS. No RDBMS also.

CS 2340 Objects and Design
CS 4392 Programming Language Design,
CS 6241 Design and Implementation of Compilers,

These three courses cover design patterns and relational database management systems are covered under
CS 4400 Introduction to Database Systems (Available as an elective).
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by CodeTemplar: 11:08pm On Oct 25, 2018
abbey621:

CS 2340 Objects and Design
CS 4392 Programming Language Design,
CS 6241 Design and Implementation of Compilers,

These three courses cover design patterns and relational database management systems are covered under
CS 4400 Introduction to Database Systems (Available as an elective).
Those courses don't look like design pattern courses to me.

Object and Design is most likely to be about things like OOP and UML.
Programming Language Design is simple the design of a programming language like of I want to design my own java or python. CS 6241 is a similar to the preceding course but addresses compilers.
Design patterns like singleton, factory, decorator, observer, null, and state patterns.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by abbey621(m): 11:43pm On Oct 25, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Those courses don't look like design pattern courses to me.

Object and Design is most likely to be about things like OOP and UML.
Programming Language Design is simple the design of a programming language like of I want to design my own java or python. CS 6241 is a similar to the preceding course but addresses compilers.
Design patterns like singleton, factory, decorator, observer, null, and state patterns.

Trust me bro they are! Null and factory for example are covered briefly in each of those classes. I guess what you meant is a full class dedicated to design patterns and other data structure methodology. The closest is CS 1332 Data structures and Algorithms.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by CodeTemplar: 12:10am On Oct 26, 2018
abbey621:

Trust me bro they are! Null and factory for example are covered briefly in each of those classes. I guess what you meant is a full class dedicated to design patterns and other data structure methodology. The closest is CS 1332 Data structures and Algorithms.
I doubt it. design pattern is so broad. There appears to be nothing on enterprise programming also. This whole program is like a professional masters.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by abbey621(m): 12:18am On Oct 26, 2018
CodeTemplar:
I doubt it. design pattern is so broad. There appears to be nothing on enterprise programming also. This whole program is like a professional masters.

Yea but keep in mind this is only one path, they have like 5 different paths, I just chose the one I specialized in grin
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by CodeTemplar: 12:29am On Oct 26, 2018
abbey621:

Yea but keep in mind this is only one path, they have like 5 different paths, I just chose the one I specialized in grin
Now you are talking.
There are many aspect of CS u can major in.

I found this:
https://www.valpo.edu/computing-information-sciences/academics/undergraduate-degree-programs/areas-of-focus-in-computer-science/

are you doing masters or a degree or diploma equivalent sef?
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by abbey621(m): 12:39am On Oct 26, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Now you are talking.
There are many aspect of CS u can major in.

I found this:
https://www.valpo.edu/computing-information-sciences/academics/undergraduate-degree-programs/areas-of-focus-in-computer-science/

are you doing masters or a degree or diploma equivalent sef?

I'm no longer in school for computer science, that was for my second masters degree. Now I'm working on a Ph.D. in another field.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by CodeTemplar: 12:43am On Oct 26, 2018
abbey621:

I'm no longer in school for computer science, that was for my second masters degree. Now I'm working on a Ph.D. in another field.
ok
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by TheVictorious(m): 5:51am On Oct 26, 2018
abbey621:

Sorry this (CSC 313: Object-Oriented Programming: (2 Units)) is the only course that mentions Java, it's like trying to teach a kid to read a novel and starting off by reciting the alphabets. No need to argue here, clearly you are not a computer science student so it wouldn't be fair to hold you to such standards.

Okay. As you said, I'm not a Comp. Scientist, so not the best to clarify on that.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by TheVictorious(m): 6:00am On Oct 26, 2018
abbey621:

Hmm. Any difference between technical schools and universities?

HigherEd
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by TheVictorious(m): 6:01am On Oct 26, 2018
abbey621:

Which field are you into now sir?
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by CodeTemplar: 7:15am On Oct 26, 2018
abbey621:

Now you're talking. You're right Nigeria covers the basic fundamentals which is why most of the syllabus operates on C programming. Unfortunately in the advanced world, this is not good enough. I was laughed out of about 3 to 4 interviews before it dawned on me that my degree in computer science was subpar. I pray we get it right one day because 4 to 5 years of fundamentals is really ridiculous when other countries are achieving full knowledge integration and implementation.
C is also being used in top schools in America but they don't have backward syllabus.
They also have core versions of CS that run for four years and teach core CS concepts just like most Nigerian schools.
Most times the students are the problem. They condemn a good syllabus blindly without doing a proper background check. CS can be taught in a general way and is being taught in a general way in many USA schools. What they do in addition to that is carve out a more narrow version that addresses specific aspect of CS like OS, Architecture, Enterprise and more. Don't confuse that for being superior to the Nigerian version.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by abbey621(m): 2:46pm On Oct 26, 2018
TheVictorious:

Hmm. Any difference between technical schools and universities?

HigherEd

Technical schools are more for certificates and diplomas. They focus on getting you into your field directly and weeds out all the unneccessary theoretical aspects. Some technical schools are also universities such as Georgia Tech and M.I.T.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by abbey621(m): 2:54pm On Oct 26, 2018
CodeTemplar:

C is also being used in top schools in America but they don't have backward syllabus.
They also have core versions of CS that run for four years and teach core CS concepts just like most Nigerian schools.
Most times the students are the problem. They condemn a good syllabus blindly without doing a proper background check. CS can be taught in a general way and is being taught in a general way in many USA schools. What they do in addition to that is carve out a more narrow version that addresses specific aspect of CS like OS, Architecture, Enterprise and more. Don't confuse that for being superior to the Nigerian version.

I would like to see the syllabus of a Nigerian school that comes remotely close to that of GTech, I've seen that of Covenant and it is ridiculous! Unfortunately in this case you cannot defend the mediocrity of the Nigerian school curriculum. C language is outdated and only taught in basic or remedial classes, when you get to the 3rd and final year, it is expected that you are fully versed in a more modern programming language like Java or JavaScript, it is expected that you are versed in design, OS Architecture and so on. No computer science course in the U.S is ever taught in a general way, by the second year you are following a distinct path just like I highlighted earlier and most of these classes not only deals with theoretical aspect but extensive practicals as well. Let's call a spade a spade, if you are saying Nigerian students are the problem, how come they excel when they travel abroad? The syllabus and mode of teaching is the problem, STOP MAKING EXCUSES!
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by abbey621(m): 2:57pm On Oct 26, 2018
TheVictorious:

Which field are you into now sir?

I'm a senior I.T Auditor currently working on Ph.D in Info Technology.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by CodeTemplar: 2:59pm On Oct 26, 2018
abbey621:

I would like to see the syllabus of a Nigerian school that comes remotely close to that of GTech, I've seen that of Covenant and it is ridiculous!
Have you compared the one in the link I gave you to covenant university CS ? Please be specific with how CU's own is inferior.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by CodeTemplar: 3:14pm On Oct 26, 2018
abbey621:

C language is outdated and only taught in basic or remedial classes, when you get to the 3rd and final year, it is expected that you are fully versed in a more modern programming language like Java or JavaScript, it is expected that you are versed in design, OS Architecture and so on. !
Your falsehoods are much but I will try my best.
I gave you a link that shows they use C and teach CS in way very similar to how CU teaches theirs.
Even in you post replying thevictorious you said technical schools aren't exactly universities but can't seem to acknowledge that simple fact on your way to badmouthing Nigerian Uni CS curriculum.

JavaScript and Java is good but no one will start teaching you Java for the sake of being grounded in it. What those Technical Schools your are parading as Universities do is to adopt one major language on their way to covering a branch of CS. That doesn't make them rival either directly or indirectly to universities.

Most CS guys in Nigeria end up in financial sector and that clearly explains why the students are introduced to Financial Accounting. You clearly don't know the purposes of establishment of universities and technical schools.

Look at the link I gave you well, They have major and minor and then Core CS. check the syllabuses out and stop being emotional.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by CodeTemplar: 3:19pm On Oct 26, 2018
abbey621:

No computer science course in the U.S is ever taught in a general way, by the second year you are following a distinct path just like I highlighted earlier and most of these classes not only deals with theoretical aspect but extensive practicals as well. Let's call a spade a spade, if you are saying Nigerian students are the problem, how come they excel when they travel abroad?
Check out UI also. They have website.

If according to you the US schools follow a distinct path as from year 2 what happens to the other paths? or are you implying they have only one path or branch of CS?
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by abbey621(m): 3:20pm On Oct 26, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Have you compared the one in the link I gave you to covenant university CS ? Please be specific with how CU's own is inferior.

I used that of GTech to compare, Valpariso is not comprehensive enough as most of their courses are embedded in electives but if you click the link to the electives you would see more programming courses not offered by CU. In regards to CU, yes the entire syllabus has only three or four courses aimed at advance level computer science theories and another 4 or 5 aimed at mid-level computational theories, notice the word 'theories', lack of actual practice is what actually dooms most Nigerian graduates nowadays. For example students are just learning concepts of programming language in 400 level? This is cute, I wonder how many lines of code graduates can actually write? No doubt they've come along way, it is certainly more advanced than the rubbish I learned at OOU but this is still inadequate, our graduates can not seriously challenge for real jobs in other parts of the world with such basic knowledge, it's sad!
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by abbey621(m): 3:22pm On Oct 26, 2018
CodeTemplar:

Check out UI also. They have website.

If according to you the US schools follow a distinct path as from year 2 what happens to the other paths? or are you implying they have only one path or branch of CS?

Year one and two you are taught general fundamental concepts, year 3 and 4 you must follow a distinct path cutomized based on your interest. For me it was systems Architecture, for someone else it could me networks or mobile computing.
Re: George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia by abbey621(m): 3:25pm On Oct 26, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Your falsehoods are much but I will try my best.
I gave you a link that shows they use C and teach CS in way very similar to how CU teaches theirs.
Even in you post replying the victorious you said technical schools aren't exactly universities but can't seem to acknowledge that simple fact on your way to badmouthing Nigerian Uni CS curriculum.

JavaScript and Java is good but no one will start teaching you Java for the sake of being grounded in it. What those Technical Schools your are parading as Universities do is to adapt one major language on their way to covering a branch of CS. That doesn't make them rival either directly or indirectly to universities.

Most CS guys in Nigeria end up in financial sector and that clearly explains why the students are introduced to Financial Accounting. You clearly don't know the purposes of establishment of universities and technical schools.

Look at the link I gave you well, They have major and minor and then Core CS. check the syllabuses out and stop being emotional.

You don't know what you're talking about! No one goes to a technical school to get a degree in computer science, show me where I said that? Furthermore I went to a technical school to get comprehensive knowledge on Javascript and nothing else, for my degree I attended a university. Please stop confusing yourself!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Michael Okpara University (MOUAU) 2014/2015 postume form on sale / UNN Exam Question After 8 Months Of ASUU Strike (Pictured) / Effects Of Lamination On Certificate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.