Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,379 members, 7,808,346 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:40 AM

2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win (12797 Views)

EFL Cup: How Nigerian Players Fared For Their Clubs / Messi Considering A Dramatic U-Turn On His Decision To Leave Barcelona / 2018 World Cup: How Super Eagles Can Lift Trophy In Russia – Amokachi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by Babygiwa(f): 5:19am On Oct 25, 2018
Rangers International FC of Enugu on Wednesday in Asaba stunned Kano Pillars in a dramatic comeback from three goals down to win the 2018 Aiteo Cup on penalties.

Rangers v Pillars in league action

The game which was played at the 25,000 capacity Stephen Keshi Stadium had ended 3-3 at regulation time, after Rangers fought gallantly from three goals deficit to level up the game.

Pillars, backed by over 400 travelling supporters, had dominated the first half of the game, with great display of soccer artistry to the cheering spectators.

The first goal of the encounter came in the 5th minute of play when Pillars old warhorse, Rabiu Ali, found space between two Rangers defenders to slot in from close range.

The early goal seemed to spur Pillars into action, as they took absolute control of the midfield, dictating the play as Rangers defenders laboured helplessly to curtail the rampaging Pillars attackers, led by Junior Lokosa.

The dominant Pillars got their second goal of the game in the 20th minute of the second half when a corner kick by Alhassan Ibrahim was parried into goal by Rangers first choice goalkeeper, Femi Thomas.

Pillars got their third goal in the 47th minute when striker Nwagua Nymar took advantage of a mixup in Rangers defence to slot home from close range.

Rangers players, however, bounced back, when midfielder Kelvin Itoya powered home a stunner from outside the 18 yard box, in what can be arguably described as the best goal of the game.

Not done yet, Rangers went on the rampage, after two Pillars players got injured in a space of 15 minutes and were stretched out of the field of play and taken in an ambulance to the hospital.

The flying antelopes got their second goal of the night in the 82nd minute, when midfielder Chidera Ezeh scored after free-flowing counter attack.

The turning point of the night came in the 92nd minute of extra time, when Ajani Ibrahim sent the entire stadium into frenzy with a clinical finish after he beat a helpless Pillars defender to leveled the game at 3-3.

The game became a physical combat as tempers flared among the players of the two teams, but referee, Adebimpe Quadiri, who stamped his authority on the game, kept the tensed nerves at bay.

The game went directly into penalties, and in the ensuing shootout, Pillars duo of Rabiu Ali and Jimoh Ismaila lost their penalties, while Rangers scored all its five penalties, ending the 5-3 to lift the trophy.

Reacting, Rangers coach, Gbenga Ogunbote said that “determination and Gov. Ugwuanyi’s presence saw us through”.

Ogunbote attributed his team’s comeback victory to determination and teamwork.

He also disclosed that the presence of Enugu State Governor, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, made a huge impact on his players as they fought back to turn the table against Kano Pillars.

“Frankly speaking, we made a huge mistake in our game tonight, we gave away possessions and that gave our opponents so many chances. But as a coach, I take blame whether we won or lost.

“However, during the first half break, we told ourselves the truth, we talked to one another and realised we could still make it. We believe in our determination to fight back and it paid off.

“But most importantly, the presence of our governor, Dr. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, who came to our dressing room to have a talk with the players made a huge difference too. He is a father figure to us.

“The governor charged the players not to lose hope in the remaining 45 minutes of play. He assured them of his support and told them to give their best in the remaining half of the game,” Ogunbote said.

On his first choice goalkeeper, Femi Thomas, who was abruptly replaced after he conceded three goals, Ogunbote said he could not single out the keeper for blame, rather he attributed his performance to ill-luck.

“Femi had a bad day today, and that is how it is in football. I can’t say he is not a good goalkeeper because he conceded three goals. Football is like that, some days are just so disappointing,” Ogunbote added.

Also, Rangers attacking midfielder, Ugonna Uzochukwu, told NAN that sheer determination saw his team come back into the game after trailing by three goals.

He said though the players felt dejected after the referee blew the whistle for half-time break because they had wanted to score before the break.

“We almost lost hope in today’s game. But during the half time break, we told ourselves that we can do it. We knew we committed a lots of mistakes.

“However, we were determined to put in our best in the remaining part of the game and that was why you saw a different Enugu Rangers with a different character in the second half,” Uzochukwu said.

The Coach and players of Kano Pillars, could not be reach for comments, as they hurriedly left the stadium after the official presentation of medals.

NAN reports that two state governors, Ifeanyi Okowa of Delta and his counterpart from Enugu, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, as well as the deputy governors of Kano and Edo states were in attendance.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/10/2018-aiteo-cup-how-rangers-stunned-pillars-in-a-dramatic-comeback-to-lift/

4 Likes

Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by Babygiwa(f): 5:20am On Oct 25, 2018
More

1 Like

Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by Babygiwa(f): 5:20am On Oct 25, 2018
More…

Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by dingbang(m): 5:28am On Oct 25, 2018
cool

Please read my signature, thanks
Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by kolafolabi(m): 5:30am On Oct 25, 2018
It was a dramatic comeback.. Last time I witnessed that was AC Milan - Liverpool 2005 Champions League Final

21 Likes

Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by chukxy44(m): 5:31am On Oct 25, 2018
Can we clips of the match. Hope NTA at least show this one live?
Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by Nobody: 5:32am On Oct 25, 2018
Rangers my Rangers.

God bless Bar Amobi Ezaku for us, his passion and commitment for Rangers no be here.

5 Likes

Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by Randy100: 5:32am On Oct 25, 2018
This is a history. Remind me of 2005 Istanbul miracle.

3 Likes

Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by Kingosytex(m): 5:41am On Oct 25, 2018
i never imagined this could happen. when rangers was two goals down in the first twenty minutes, i quickly changed the channel to mtv base to listen to good music. i refreshed my flashscore some minutes later and saw that rangers drew the game and went ahead to win on penalties

6 Likes

Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by Ziggyduben(m): 5:43am On Oct 25, 2018
Lovely spirit from Rangers. It's not over till it's over. I felt for d Pillars captain after a Wonderful game, he missed d 1st spot kick. Awesome game. Reminds me of the Damman Miracle

1 Like

Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by kanayo76: 5:43am On Oct 25, 2018
Up Rangers, the pride of Ndi Igbo!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by kokakola: 5:44am On Oct 25, 2018
It was truly a game of entertainment. Rangers really played well. It was a good match and kudos to the organizers.

1 Like

Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by Marcobos12: 5:50am On Oct 25, 2018
Babygiwa:
More

Just look at the substandard stadium ODUAGHA built for us with 16 billion. Now he his coming back to contest as a senator under the platform of APC. That APC is an association of demonic People.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by fasho01(m): 6:00am On Oct 25, 2018
Congrats to Rangers. It was a well fought victory and for we observers, a very vital lesson of life..

1 Like

Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by Nbote(m): 6:09am On Oct 25, 2018
Dat match was unbelievable... Rangers started scoring around d 78minute mark. D Pillars players cost their team d match with their players falling like flies in a bid to waste time and den it backfired .. Wen Rangers scored in d 92nd minute and Pillars missed d first penalty, it was obvious Rangers were carrying d day

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by AFONJACOW(m): 6:12am On Oct 25, 2018
femi Thomas useless AFONJA scored own Goal ,it is well

2 Likes

Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by AFONJACOW(m): 6:19am On Oct 25, 2018
kanayo76:
Up Rangers, the pride of Ndi Igbo!
sharap what of people's elephant onye wawah
Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by emperorblog(m): 6:25am On Oct 25, 2018
a very deserve victory for them

HOLY HOLY RANGERS
Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by Topmaike007(m): 6:32am On Oct 25, 2018
At least rangers gave us course to be happy after enyinmba lost to raja

2 Likes

Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by Topmaike007(m): 6:33am On Oct 25, 2018
AFONJACOW:
is it the elephant dat fell yesterday or what?

4 Likes

Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by omoregea: 6:50am On Oct 25, 2018
did i just see Gov. Okowa main bowl? nigerian politicians are funny shocked shocked shocked shocked grin

2 Likes

Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by Hopebringer: 6:55am On Oct 25, 2018
hmmm seems i missed something good, i was busy watching CNN
Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by Homeboiy: 7:00am On Oct 25, 2018
Make I quickly tune in to my dream FM radio App and listen to osondu and co

1 Like

Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by Maxiyke: 7:07am On Oct 25, 2018
Can you compare what Rangers International meant to Ndi Igbo to what Enyimba is?
The whole of Ndi Igbo identifies with Rangers, Enyimba is the pride of Aba people.
Holy! Holy!! Rangers!!!
Another Champion!

AFONJACOW:

6 Likes

Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by 8stargeneral: 7:11am On Oct 25, 2018
Really dramatic, ugwuanyi is a lucky governor.

2 Likes

Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by Nobody: 7:15am On Oct 25, 2018
it was an intriguing game to watch
I never thought rangers could come back after going behind 3-0 down
we really enjoyed the match
I am really happy to witness such a historic comeback

4 Likes

Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by mechanics(m): 7:56am On Oct 25, 2018
Congrats to them.
Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by Laurene: 8:08am On Oct 25, 2018
Maxiyke:
Can you compare what Rangers International meant to Ndi Igbo to what Enyimba is?
The whole of Ndi Igbo identifies with Rangers, Enyimba is the pride of Aba people.
Holy! Holy!! Rangers!!!
Another Champion!

oga shut up if you don't know what to say..Enyimba is bigger and has achieved more than rangers.. Has rangers carried CAF cup before? Enyimba and Kano pillars are the two biggest clubs ever in Nigerian football history.. Argue with facts..

2 Likes

Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by Folksyharry(m): 8:13am On Oct 25, 2018
Congratulations to Rangers FC. I was following the game on social media and I wish I was in the stadium to witness it.
Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by Nobody: 8:16am On Oct 25, 2018
Laurene:
oga shut up if you don't know what to say..Enyimba is bigger and has achieved more than rangers.. Has rangers carried CAF cup before? Enyimba and Kano pillars are the two biggest clubs ever in Nigerian football history.. Argue with facts..
una don start angry angry igbo ppl matter don tire me undecided everything na bragging rights dumb ass

3 Likes

Re: 2018 Aiteo Cup : How Rangers Stunned Pillars In A Dramatic Comeback To Win by kygo(m): 8:16am On Oct 25, 2018
Laurene:

don't say what you don't know

(1) (2) (Reply)

Liverpool & Portugal's Diogo Jota Will Miss The World Cup Due To Injury / Lawmakers Demand Evidence As NFF Says It Has Paid Falcons. / Fifa U-17 World Cup: Nigeria With Chile, Croatia, Usa In Group A

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.