Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,983 members, 7,806,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:33 AM

Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting (26232 Views)

We Have Rejected Femi Fani-kayode From Defecting To APC - APC governors DG / Taiwo Fatiregun's Head Broken After Defecting To Another Party. Photos / How APC Senators Were Welcomed To PDP After Defecting (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by yns4real: 6:17am On Oct 25, 2018
Olusola Fabiyi, Abuja

Telephone calls made by the National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, Prince Uche Secondus, and the presidential candidate of the party, Atiku Abubakar, to the Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Ike Ekweremadu, were said to have pacified Ekweremadu and made him drop his alleged threat to leave the party, The PUNCH learnt on Wednesday.

Ekweremadu is believed to be angry that he was not picked for the position of the running mate to Atiku in next year’s election.

As the highest political office holder in the party from the South-East where the position was zoned to Ekweremadu was believed to have positioned himself for the slot.

He was also said to have been sidelined in the decision-making that led to the picking of a former Governor of Anambra State, Mr Peter Obi, as Atiku’s running mate.

Ekweremadu was believed to have wondered what would be his position in both the party and the government if Atiku wins the presidency.

A member of the National Working Committee of the party, who spoke on condition of anonymity with our correspondent, said Ekweremadu’s fear was justified.

He said, “It is clear to us that the South-East will not produce the DSP in Atiku’s government. It will not also have any special role to play in the party as well. So, what will become of Ekweremadu? Will he return to the Senate as ordinary member?”

However, when the threat to leave the party became rife, both Secondus and Atiku were said to have made telephone calls to Ekweremadu to assure him of the party’s respect for him.

Ekweremadu is presently out of Nigeria.

“I can tell you that both Secondus and Atiku had called Ekweremadu. They had asked him not to be worried and that the party had tremendous respect for him,” the source added.

I remain a member of the PDP, says Ekweremadu

Meanwhile, Ekweremadu has debunked reports that he was headed to the ruling All Progressives Congress, noting that he remained a member of the PDP.

In a statement on his Facebook page, @iamekweremadu, on Wednesday, the senator said, “I am presently out of the country on a prescheduled engagement.

“In the past 24 hours, I have been inundated with calls from friends and political associates seeking clarification on the rumours of my departure from the PDP, which has dominated the media.

“Let it be known that my path in politics is in the hands of the Almighty God, who has indeed been very faithful and gracious to me. I’m very grateful to God for this.

“My vision in politics is a system that works for everybody, a social and political environment where everybody, every section, and every tribe not only counts but is also seen to count. As leaders, we must be mindful of this, for any system built on anything less will not endure.

“I am grateful to you – members of my family, my friends, political associates, and admirers across Nigeria and beyond – for your uncommon concern. I am indeed humbled by your kind words of solidarity and support.

“Please, rest assured that I am still in the PDP.”

Ekweremadu is PDP, body and Soul – Akobundu

Meanwhile, the National Organising Secretary of the PDP, Col. Austin Akobundu (retd.), has said that the rumoured defection of Ekweremadu to the APC was the handiwork of mischief makers who he said were worried about the rising profile of the party.

The NOS said Ekweremadu “is PDP, body and soul and he is not leaving the party to anywhere.”

Meanwhile, the Vice-Presidential candidate of the PDP, Mr Peter Obi, on Wednesday, in Abuja, met with delegations from the European Union and World Economic Forum to discuss the need to conduct free and fair elections in 2019 and how to grow the nation’s economy through collaboration.

Obi, who represented the presidential candidate of the party and former Vice-President of Nigeria, Atiku Abubakar, at the two separate meetings, told the EU delegation that efforts should be made to stop the APC from intimidating candidates of opposition political parties who, he said, now lived in fear.

He said the EU should insist on a level-playing field for all candidates and parties during elections in Nigeria because “there is a need to get the country back to its feet and make it better for our children.’’

He said that campaigns should be based on issues so that the electorate and the international community could come to grasp with the problems of the country as well as the solutions being proffered by each of the political parties and their candidates.

The former Anambra Governor said that judging from what happened during the governorship elections in Ekiti and Osun States, “INEC needs to show that it remains an unbiased umpire in future elections in the country.”

In his comments, the head of the EU delegation, Ketil Karlsen, said the election observer group had been consulting stakeholders in Nigeria to ascertain whether or not it would be necessary for the union to send a new EU election observer mission.

He said the EU mission had been operating in Nigeria since 1999 and that the union had invested over 100 million Euros in Nigeria’s election process since then.

Speaking at the meeting with officials of WEF, Obi emphasised the need for a closer working relationship with African countries, especially Nigeria, because most governments on the continent did not want to work with the forum for fear of being criticised.

He said, “A lot of work needs to be done in Africa because things are tough. Presidential and Vice-Presidential candidates of the PDP have a clear picture of what the economic priorities are and what the international community feels about the country.

“Nigeria needs to do something immediately for its economy to be put back on track and something has to done immediately.”

The leader of the WEF delegation, Nontle Kabanyane, said that the forum was ready to strengthen relationships and to implement more activities in Nigeria through a collaboration that would lead to national transformation.

https://punchng.com/defection-threat-how-atiku-secondus-telephone-calls-pacified-ekweremadu/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by Pierced(f): 6:34am On Oct 25, 2018
tongue
Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by CanineOfJackal: 6:37am On Oct 25, 2018
As long as he is Atikulating then no wahala

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by Nobody: 6:41am On Oct 25, 2018
Ordinary phone call to a whole DSP na en you cool down like hot rice wey them blow air.

angry DSP. U dun insult ur office.

15 Likes

Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by Nobody: 6:41am On Oct 25, 2018
This man cheap

If na girl e be N100 airtime for dun nack am

10 Likes

Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by JudasNaCarrot: 6:41am On Oct 25, 2018
Politics is a game of interest and one have to protect that interest.

He has proven how politically matured he is by listening to voices to shelve his intended porting to the evil party.

The evil APC is presently undergoing implosion caused by lack of internal democracy, greed,autocratic and high handed leadership, lies,deceit, mago mago and wuru wuru politics.

Atikulate Obediently!

70 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by NaijaRoyalty(m): 6:42am On Oct 25, 2018
Ekweremadu is PDP

PDP is Ekweremadu .

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by Nobody: 6:46am On Oct 25, 2018
Make una leave Ekweremadu alone o!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by Topmaike007(m): 6:53am On Oct 25, 2018
Nigeria politicians wey be like footballer, when he finally negotiate well and they both agree to good terms and conditions then he will leave

5 Likes

Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by chriskosherbal(m): 6:55am On Oct 25, 2018
Politicians hehehe
Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by hisgrace090: 7:03am On Oct 25, 2018
Now I know that politics is all about personal interest.

2 Likes

Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by Olatunji1929: 7:05am On Oct 25, 2018
Zombie, how market? The next thing is jonathan is threatning to leave PDP, BMC aka ZOMBIE may God rule your life the way buhari has been rulling Nigeria please if you are not ashame of buhari and apc say AMEN

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by AroleOduduwa(m): 7:12am On Oct 25, 2018
His market value will automatically drop the moment he decamps, just look at Akpabio, he has lost all respect he commanded while In PDP. Ekweremadu is a wise politician, just using his defection rumor to negotiate.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by GMPO(m): 7:18am On Oct 25, 2018
TRUTH BE TOLD PDP IS ONLY PAN NIGERIA POLITICAL PARTY.THE APC IS THE GATHERING OF TRIBAL WARLORDS.E.G TINUBU(YORUBA, SOUTH WEST),BUHARI(HAUSA-FULANI, NORTH EAST$ NORTH WEST),OKOROCHAS(IGBO, SOUTH EAST),OSHOMOLE(EDO ONLY)AMAECHI(RIVERS ONLY).BUT GO TO THE PDP.ATIKU(PAN NIGERIA),SARAKI(PAN NIGERIA), TAMBUWAL(PAN NIGERIA)EVEN OBJ AN EX PDP LEADER, IS ALSO PAN NIGERIA, GEJ AN EX PDP LEADER IS ALSO PAN NIGERIA.PDP IS A MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN THAN THE APC.

41 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by ivandragon: 7:23am On Oct 25, 2018
picking ekweremadu as VP would have made the atiku candidacy unsellable to neutrals who are not happy with the present state of the nation.

having Atiku with his baggage is bad enough but can still be accommodated due to the dire straits most sane Nigerians have found themselves.

but have a VP with baggage too would have shown that not only is the PDP still rewarding corrupt members, but also it is presenting a VP with no track record of solid accomplishments outside of government patronage.

obi is not without his own flaws, but he is better positioned to go toe to toe with the VP on cerebral debates.

24 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by KANUISALIVE: 7:24am On Oct 25, 2018
This man won died on top govt position, that makes a sane person to rethink if truly the have the interest of the people at heart

How many years now as a senator?? Greedy people

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by Bolusticus: 7:29am On Oct 25, 2018
Ekweremadu is of no political value to the APC, to be sincere. In fact, no Igbo politician is of any value to the APC as they cannot guarantee any meaningful vote. Rochas couldn't deliver Imo in 2015 as a sitting governor.

The DSP should stay in his party, no one wants a political liability.

5 Likes

Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by Koralords: 7:39am On Oct 25, 2018
This guy should be celebrated .i hate when Politicians decamp ..most greedy Politicians would have defected to the apc since but he stood his ground ,one of my fav Politicians despite not been fron the south east u love him a lot

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by godfatherx: 7:58am On Oct 25, 2018
Go to APC at your own peril

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by BubuZombi: 7:59am On Oct 25, 2018
We don't need you in APC...

Even if the whole SE don't vote for Buhari, PMB will Still Win The Election.

3 Likes

Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by Groovenaija360(m): 7:59am On Oct 25, 2018
cheesy
Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by zombieTRACKER: 7:59am On Oct 25, 2018
Ekweremadu is a selfish idiot

I know him too well... He is not worthy of being called a leader.... Always thinks about himself

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by AtomElect: 8:00am On Oct 25, 2018
Forget all these brouhaha from Ekweremadu. My source told me that APC reached out to him and promise him Senate presidency if they win next year.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by Bizibi(m): 8:00am On Oct 25, 2018
I knew it was a threat, if ekweremadu dump PDP then it will be then end of his political relevance because APC will make him a rag........

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by Frankyboy1(m): 8:00am On Oct 25, 2018
Who cares
Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by ComeAndobo: 8:01am On Oct 25, 2018
Politicians sef, they are like olosho looking for who pay the bills, In fact they are like football players, no loyalty, you can sign them up if you are the highest bidder cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by BruncleZuma: 8:02am On Oct 25, 2018
grin grin grin grin
Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by Phygo(m): 8:02am On Oct 25, 2018
With or without Ekweremadu, the ship must sail.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ekweremadu: Atiku, Secondus’ Telephone Calls Pacified Him From Defecting by mumisco4real(f): 8:03am On Oct 25, 2018
JudasNaCarrot:
Politics is a game of interest and one have to protect that interest.

He has proven how politically matured he is by listening to voices to shelve his intended porting to the evil party.

The evil APC is presently undergoing implosion caused by lack of internal democracy, greed,autocratic and high handed leadership, lies,deceit, mago mago and wuru wuru politics.

Atikulate Obediently!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari: Bilyaminu Usman, Adamu Ciroma Found Honourable During Military Rule / Lagos Wooden-Bridge Owners Make Millions Of Naira Daily – Investigation / BBC & DailyMail Apologize About Nigerian Restaurant Serving Human Flesh Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.