Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,211 members, 7,807,723 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:07 PM

Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) (32908 Views)

Kingpin Of Rwanda Genocide Arrested / Here Is The Real Cause Of The Rwanda Genocide / 100 Days Of Hell, Remembering The Rwanda Genocide In Harrowing Photos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Josh44s(m): 4:40pm On Nov 01, 2018
This is the path Nigeria is heading if care is not taken. Blood sucking Fulanis will soon open this kind chapter on South if nothing is done.

3 Likes

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by pawesome(m): 4:49pm On Nov 01, 2018
Can't help it embarassed
Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Nobody: 4:51pm On Nov 01, 2018
This Rwanda stopped genocide in late 1990s but today, they are better in some areas than Nigeria. Can you say genocide and Nigeria's civil war aren't similar? Why are we still on the part of war today, albeit fought tribally, politically, and religiously?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by AngelicBeing: 4:53pm On Nov 01, 2018
Very unfortunate the genocide that took place in Rwanda, but the government of Rwanda has been able to transform the war torn country to a country to be proud of, Rwanda has the best police force in Africa according to world economics forum, it occupies spot number 2 as a country that provides the ease of doing business, they have electricity and it is the cleanest country in Africa, they also have pretty women grin,

I can't wait to visit Rwanda again to relax for my vacation and complete the small vacation home that I am building their , the country is relatively safe, there is security all over the country, kudos to President Paul Kagame.

6 Likes

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by rumaabk(m): 4:55pm On Nov 01, 2018
If you want to know the truth behind Rwanda genocide watch Ghost of Rwanda.

4 Likes

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by NORSIYK(m): 4:55pm On Nov 01, 2018
And this is what buhari wants to cause in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Ugosample(m): 4:56pm On Nov 01, 2018
Mintayo:

Its unimaginable what the man must have seen, the killings, and all that. Its enough to make someone go mad. After watching hotel Rwanda and sometimes in April some years ago, i found it difficult to sleep for a long time. I just pray stuffs like this do not happen in Nigeria.

Nigeria is tending towards that direction

with so much hate in the air, and a blood thirsty terrorist as president

The drums of hate has driven so many to the edge

5 Likes

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Ugosample(m): 4:56pm On Nov 01, 2018
Josh44s:
This is the path Nigeria is heading if care is not taken. Blood sucking Fulanis will soon open this kind chapter on South if nothing is done.

that is my fear
Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Nobody: 4:58pm On Nov 01, 2018
I watched a documentary on reconstruction after the war, they said the whole professional middle class was wiped out in the Rwandan genocide.
The government still finds it hard filling up certain sectors so they need expatriates.

2 Likes

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by fk001(m): 5:00pm On Nov 01, 2018
It's so disheartening, how can people be this wicked.

My question is how did the rebel's differentiate between the tsutsi's and the other tribes?

1 Like

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Nobody: 5:01pm On Nov 01, 2018
The Rwandan genocides horror is very similar to aushwitz.
Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by elfico(m): 5:02pm On Nov 01, 2018
naptu2:

I listened to an interview that General Roméo Dallaire gave to the BBC World Service in the early 2000s.

General Dallaire was the head of the UN peacekeeping force in Rwanda before and during the genocide. He suspected that the killings were about to happen and he asked the UN for more troops (his force was pretty small) but they refused to send more troops to him. The Americans did not want to send more troops to another African country (that they did not really care about) after what happened to their troops in Somalia.

He also asked for permission to seize weapons that the Hutus were stockpiling, but his superiors in New York refused to give him permission.

Eventually he had to focus his small body of troops on parts of Kigali in which he knew that Tutsis were hiding. He eventually saved thousands of Tutsis.

Yet he had post traumatic stress disorder because of the events that he witnessed in Rwanda. He repeatedly tried to kill himself because of the psychological torture he experienced whenever he remembered what happened in Rwanda.

Its even more depressing when you think that an African man, Boutros Ghalli was the UN Secretary General at that time. We had one of our own as the UN Secretary General and Genocide took place right under his nose.

Edit: I made a mistake about Kofi Anan being the UN Secretary General as at then. It has been corrected.

1 Like

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by arabbunkum: 5:02pm On Nov 01, 2018
So terrible

3 Likes

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by ruggedtimi(m): 5:03pm On Nov 01, 2018
.\
Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Nobody: 5:04pm On Nov 01, 2018
fk001:
It's so disheartening, how can people be this wicked.

My question is how did the rebel's differentiate between the tsutsi's and the other tribes?

They used to mock each other's distinct features, like some nairalanders do. Tutsis were tall, fair, skinny wt long head (like their current president). Hutus looked more like sub Saharan Africans.

6 Likes

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by naptu2: 5:06pm On Nov 01, 2018
elfico:

Its even more depressing when you think that an African man, Kofi Annan was the UN Secretary General at that time. We had one of our own as the UN Secretary General and Genocide took place right under his nose.

Kofi Annan wasn't the secretary general at the time.

The secretary general of the UN at the time was Boutros Boutros Ghalli of Egypt.

I remember that he requested for assistance but none of the Western Powers wanted to provide assistance because of what happened to the US in Somalia.

He blamed the US while the US blamed him. He had a spat with Madeline Albright who was the US ambassador to the UN.

A secretary general usually has two terms and Boutros Ghalli was serving Africa's first term, but Madeline Albright campaigned hard to ensure that he didn't get a second term.

Kofi Annan was thus elected to continue Africa's tenure.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Saintp(m): 5:06pm On Nov 01, 2018
mynairaland2018:

They used to mock each other's distinct features, like some nairalanders do. Tutsis were tall, fair, skinny wt long head (like their current president). Hutus looked more like sub Saharan Africans.

Is their current president a tutsi?
Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Nobody: 5:09pm On Nov 01, 2018
Saintp:

Is their current president a tutsi?
Yes he is. And he really turned dt country around. Ecspecially in reconciling the tribes. He deserves kudos like Mandela.

1 Like

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by DSENATAR: 5:09pm On Nov 01, 2018
There is a rule in the jungle, " Lions don't eat each other" but with humans, the narratives changes.

I pray Nigeria never witness war again.

1 Like

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by fk001(m): 5:10pm On Nov 01, 2018
mynairaland2018:

Thanks

So the Hutus are the majority right?

Perhaps the genocide happened out of envy, maybe the Tutsi's were more progressives than the Hutus.

I will like to read the genesis of the genocide.

1 Like

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Saintp(m): 5:12pm On Nov 01, 2018
mynairaland2018:

Yes he is. And he really turned dt country around. Ecspecially in reconciling the tribes. He deserves kudos like Mandela.

Wao. That means he survived the genocide to later become president. Does it mean Hutus voted for him?
Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by jaszplus12(m): 5:13pm On Nov 01, 2018
soberdrunk:
Sad! All you 'keyboard freedom fighters' let this be a lesson to you all....... angry
Unfortunately... they're out there baying for blood!
The sound of gunfire will reset anyone's thinking...
But it's better imagined...
Let there be PEACE.... PLEASE!!!!

1 Like

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Emotionss: 5:13pm On Nov 01, 2018
With the way things are going in this country, it's just a matter of time.
Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Alwaysking: 5:15pm On Nov 01, 2018
Her story is so touching, I pray God heal her speedily!
Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Nobody: 5:17pm On Nov 01, 2018
fk001:

Thanks

So the Hutus are the majority right?

Perhaps the genocide happened out of envy, maybe the Tutsi's were more progressives than the Hutus.

I will like to read the genesis of the genocide.

The Hutus killed 70% of the Tutsi population. Almost wiped them out. Truth is dt All the tribal hatred in Africa can be traced back to colonialism. Stuffing people together and making others rule over them. It's not envy but a sense of injustice.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by kpolli(m): 5:17pm On Nov 01, 2018
Saddest story I have read

What's wrong with us? I can't even cry, I can't be angry, I can only wonder.... This was purely inhumane, we need to step up as a people.... Worst part is we are capable of doing this in Nigeria if the same situation arises
Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Saintp(m): 5:18pm On Nov 01, 2018
DSENATAR:
There is a rule in the jungle, " Lions don't eat each other" but with humans, the narratives changes.

I pray Nigeria never witness war again.

I don't think that type of genocide can happen in Nigeria because the 3 biggest tribes are roughly balanced. The type of genocide that can happen in Nigeria is systemic genocide like it is happening in the middle belt with fulani herdsman. The dangers of middle belt style is that on the surface, you think it is a minor issue but over a decade you could find out that some people and their ancestral lands are nowhere to be found.

10 Likes

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Bannylove13: 5:21pm On Nov 01, 2018
Everyone is praying Nigeria not to witness this..
But nairaland dey promote tribalism per second..
Nonbe 2019 election some tribe don dey turn am to tribal..while instigating other tribes against each other just for 2023 election.

The truth about this is that ours will be both tribal.. religious.. geographical zones..
And it will be more brutal than what we can ever imagine..

Shebi na daily we go gather for nairaland and Twitter the insults our human nature.

It will happen ..when it will happen..
If a former governor..minister .. San.. can publicly made a tribalistic statement careless..

And a sitting president can openly declare such..

Brutality and fatality is so near..

Nigerians can only wish is a joke ..but they don't know how deep it has gone across tribe regions and religion..

Na Christians I pity most..

E go soon reach us.. soon!

3 Likes

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by superlanny(m): 5:25pm On Nov 01, 2018
MARKETfund:

Ishilove abi IshiHATE you are a hypocrite and shameless!

I've watched you here in utter dismay cheer on the Nigerian Army that were gunning down unarmed citizens not because they commited any crime but because they engaged in their constitutional right of protest over what they considered the ills of the ruling party. You gleefully praise them an constantly mock a tribe over their loss even with accompannying gory pictures of these people just to sound politically right. Same goes for the unfortunate farmers who has been pillaged constantly and killed in droves by the herdsmen (the agatu masacre comes to mind). That too is akin to genocide. Did you condemn it? Kindly screenshot it and share here if you do.

Coming here now to express a farce emotions is a mockery of those who died in the hands of your FG for which your brother Osinbanjo (cos I know it's cos of him you suppressed your conscience and human empathy over those ones killed in Nigeria) is part of.

Before now I thought you are one of the highly celeberal ones in this forum whose exposures and education can NEVER allow to pander over tribal slurs and affiliations. How wrong I was! Today all your work I've read with admiration piles into a heap of disgusting rubbish after trying my best to connect them to a hate-filled educated ill-informed woman whose education is only fit to divide than to unite..

When next people with real emotions are talking, do yourself some good and keep shut cos you are no diffent from the Rwandan Armies.

Be informed that I choose mentions I respond to. Yours shall remain in the dugion of my unread mentions even if you quote to spew your garbage.
nobody here can boast that whatever he or she thinks is 100% correct, we are all prone to be emotional in our thoughts, that doesn't make us totally wrong in our judgements, I believe you need to take it easy when dishing out criticism, we are all entitled to air our minds, nothing makes your thoughts right or accurate, all am saying is that nobody holy pass, take am easy.

9 Likes

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by teelaw4life(m): 5:28pm On Nov 01, 2018
Things like this are necessary in the affairs of man. It starts from simple disagreements, then there's tension, followed by escalation and then confrontation (which is the climax) and finally a resolution (the denouement). World War II was really a water-shed moment in the history of man. It is the single most destructive war in history but it's also responsible for the relative world peace we've been able to enjoy today.

Perhaps, if what happened in Rwanda hadn't taken place, they wouldn't still have sense today. Humans never appreciate perspective. It's what drives their intolerance and it often takes jarring events, usually, at great cost for them to gain perspective -even then, perspective comes in hindsight.

There's this saying that those who refuse to learn from their history are bound to repeat them. Rwanda has a lot of monuments dedicated to rmembering the events of their genocide. Germany still has most concentration camps preserved. A timely reminder, setting them on the right path, of the grave costs of hateful and bigoted sentiments.

What has Nigeria done? The only civil war we've had in this country is being thrown into the junkyard of history? Why? Because we don't want to learn from it. Because we don't want to move forward. We want to act as if the Civil war was simply something that did not happen. Guess what? The events that led to the civil war still subsist today. Nigeria is bound to repeat history because it is unwilling to learn from it.

However unfortunate that'd be, if things are to get better, it is the only way to go... because we can not go on living as if everything is fine and dandy forever. It's not possible. Either the contraption that is Niger-Area disintegrates, or unifies and sheds all of its tribal and ethno-religion scale.

Shalom people.

30 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Gambia Army Chief Says Troops Will Not Fight Intervention / Jesse Griesel Sparks Outrage Running For Julius Malema's Party In SA (PIX) / ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.