Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,870 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:15 AM

The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors (9001 Views)

If You Are In Position Of Joseph, Can You Accept Mary Has Your Wife ? / 117th Posthumous Birthday Of Joseph Ayo Babalola Is Today / Pictures Of Joseph Prince $280 Million Church Building In Singapore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by myreligion77: 1:48am On Oct 28, 2018
AFTER JACOB CAME back to the land of Canaan with his eleven sons, another son was born to him, the second child of his wife Rachel, whom Jacob loved so well. But soon after the baby came, his mother Rachel died, and Jacob was filled with sorrow. Even to this day you can see the place where Rachel was buried, on the road between Jerusalem and Bethlehem. Jacob named the child whom Rachel left, Benjamin and now Jacob had twelve sons. Most of them were grown-up men but Joseph was a boy seventeen years old, and his brother Benjamin was almost a baby.

Of all his children, Jacob loved Joseph the best, because he was Rachel’s child because he was so much younger than most of his brothers and because he was good, and faithful, and thoughtful. Jacob gave to Joseph a robe or coat of bright colors, made somewhat like a long cloak with wide sleeves. This was a special mark of Jacob’s favor to Joseph, and it made his older brothers envious of him.

Then, too, Joseph did what was right, while his older brothers often did very wrong acts, of which Joseph sometimes told their father and this made them very angry at Joseph. But they hated him still more because of two strange dreams he had, and of which he told them. He said one day: “Listen to this dream that I have dreamed. I dreamed that we were out in the field binding sheaves, when suddenly my sheaf stood up, and all your sheaves came around it and bowed down to my sheaf!”

And they said scornfully, “Do you suppose that the dream means that you will some time rule over us, and that we shall bow down to you?”

Then, a few days after, Joseph said, “I have dreamed again. This time, I saw in my dream the sun, and the moon, and eleven stars, all come and bow to me!”

And his father said to him, “I do not like you to dream such dreams. Shall I, and your mother, and your brothers, come and bow down before you as if you were a king?”

His brothers hated Joseph, and would not speak kindly to him but his father thought much of what Joseph had said.

At one time, Joseph’s ten brothers were taking care of the flock in the fields near Shechem, which was nearly fifty miles from Hebron, where Jacob’s tents were spread. And Jacob wished to send a message to his sons, and he called Joseph, and said to him:

“Your brothers are near Shechem with the flock. I wish that you would go to them, and take a message, and find if they are well, and if the flocks are doing well and bring me word from them.”

That was quite an errand, for a boy to go alone over the country, and find his way, for fifty miles, and then walk home again. But Joseph was a boy who could take care of him-self, and could be trusted so he went forth on his journey, walking northward over the mountains, past Bethlehem, and Jerusalem, and Bethel — though we are not sure those cities were then built, except Jerusalem, which was already a strong city.

When Joseph reached Shechem, he could not find his brothers, for they had taken their flocks to another place. A man met Joseph wandering in the field, and asked him, “Whom are you seeking?”

Joseph said, “I am looking for my brothers, the sons of Jacob. Can you tell me where I will find them?”

And the man said, “They are at Dothan or I heard them say that they were going there.

Then Joseph walked over the hills to Dothan, which was fifteen miles further. And his brothers saw him afar off coming toward them. They Walking knew him by his bright garment and one said to another: “Look, that dreamer is coming! Come, let us kill him, and throw his body into a pit, and tell his father that some wild beast has eaten him and then we will see what becomes of his dreams.

One of his brothers, whose name was Reuben, felt more kindly toward Joseph than the others. He said:

“Let us not kill him, but let us throw him into this pit, in the wilderness, and leave him there to die.”

But Reuben intended, after they had gone away, to lift Joseph out of the pit, and take him home to his father. The brothers did as Reuben told them they threw Joseph into the pit, which was empty. He cried, and begged them to save him but they would not. They calmly sat down to eat their dinner on the grass, while their brother was calling to them from the pit.

After the dinner, Reuben chanced to go to another part of the field so that he was not at hand when a company of men passed by with their camels, going from Gilead, on the east of the river Jordan, to Egypt, to sell spices and fragrant gum from trees to the Egyptians.

Then Judah, another of Joseph’s brothers, said, “What good will it do us to kill our brother? Would it not be better for us to sell him to these men, and let them carry him away? After all, he is our brother, and we would better not kill him.”

His brothers agreed with him so they stopped the men who were passing, and drew up Joseph from the pit, and for twenty pieces of silver they sold Joseph to these men and they took him away with them down to Egypt.

After a while, Reuben came to the pit, where they had left Joseph, and looked into it but Joseph was not there. Then Reuben was in great trouble and he came back to his brothers, saying: “The boy is not there! What shall I do!”

Then his brothers told Reuben what they had done and they all agreed together to deceive their father. They killed one of the goats, and dipped Joseph’s coat in its blood and they brought it to their father, and they said to him: “We found this coat out in the wilderness. Look at it, father, and tell us if you think it was the coat of your son.”

And Jacob knew it at once. He said: “It is my son’s coat. Some wild beast has eaten him. There is no doubt that Joseph has been torn in pieces!”

And Jacob’s heart was broken over the loss of Joseph all the more because he had sent Joseph alone on the journey through the wilderness. They tried to comfort him, but he would not be comforted. He said: “I will go down to the grave mourning for my poor lost son.”

So the old man sorrowed for his son Joseph and all the time his wicked brothers knew that Joseph was not dead but they would not tell their father the dreadful deed they had done to their brother, in selling him as a slave.

Source: http://myreligion.com.ng/?p=565

5 Likes

Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:41am On Oct 28, 2018
One of the most interesting stories in the Holy Book......

When God is about to lift you up, there is nothing or anybody that can oppose that.

May God remember us for good in the days of our youth.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by YoungLionken(m): 7:41am On Oct 28, 2018
What cannot kill you, always make you stronger. Joseph's siblings thought they were doing him(Joseph), not knowing they were only doing themselves. They all later bow down to him... The administration of the current govt of the APCheat couldn't kill us, but made us stronger to get our pvc and vote them out.

12 Likes

Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by nabegibeg: 7:41am On Oct 28, 2018
Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by Mayfrank(m): 7:41am On Oct 28, 2018
Nice story
Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by cooldipo(m): 7:43am On Oct 28, 2018
Nigerian like me dont know what depression is

2 Likes

Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by easzypeaszy(m): 7:46am On Oct 28, 2018
Its so painful that most kids of nowadays don't kw much about the bible stories na to dey beat ppl collct fones for road under the name AWAWA BOYs(Agege Don Suffer) ...back den we love to go to the Sunday school and attend church programs especially for children...althgh Biscuit too is part of the motivational factor but d bibles stories till today full head...

10 Likes

Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by arantess: 7:47am On Oct 28, 2018
Joseph, faithful to a fault, God had to elevate his sons to the status of full tribes in their own right..
Let God be praised

5 Likes

Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by CuteMadridista: 7:49am On Oct 28, 2018
Ancient mythology

4 Likes

Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by Nobody: 7:50am On Oct 28, 2018
cool
Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by pussyAvenger: 7:54am On Oct 28, 2018
...my coat of many colours that my mama made for me......
singing away in dolly Parton's voice

3 Likes

Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by alabi484(m): 7:54am On Oct 28, 2018
Be careful who you share your dreams with

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by urbobo20(m): 7:57am On Oct 28, 2018
My favourite song of all time
Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by maroke1: 8:04am On Oct 28, 2018
This is the best article I have ever read in nairaland

3 Likes

Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by Nobody: 8:21am On Oct 28, 2018
cheesy
Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by Strangebuttrue(m): 8:36am On Oct 28, 2018
Joseph !
Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by Nobody: 9:25am On Oct 28, 2018
CuteMadridista:
Ancient mythology

Everything is Mythology to your dull brain.

Even your mother giving birth to you is ancient Mythology. Oponu so we nu.

Have you gone to Egypt to ask their Historians if there was no one called Joseph the Israelite as one of their rulers.

Everything about the Jews once inhabiting a part of Egypt is part of their National History. That their kids learn from generation to generstion. Go and Learn.

Senseless ppl parading themselves senselessly up and down Nairaland.

Mythology this

Mythology that.

Your dad marrying your mum too must be ancient Mythology. grin

Madness of the highest order.

You guys claim the only thing you can Believe is Science. Is Archaeology not part of Science? Why can't you honour its claims.

Do you follow Archaeological News at all? to know there are proofs of The Israelites living in Egypt sometime. You won't know, how would you, when you are busy looking up and down for facts to deny the existence of God.

Artifacts of the Red Sea Crossing found under the sea bed of the same location of the Crossing by Archaeologists that are not even Christians. It will all be fake news to guys like you living a fake life of "Freedom"

Every of such News is Fake News to a lost soul like you.

Morronn of an entity.

If you are a Mod you can click the button now and ban me.

Senseless Mofos with Atheist Tags.

It is when it concerns the confirmation of Biblical Happenings that you no longer believe in Science. But when it says you originated from monkeys you will believe. How would you not believe, when your reasoning is more or less of a monkey's IQ.

Go and do your research on Archaeological Sites and know many of the Biblical Claims that have been found to be real and evidences have been found by Science to buttress their authenticity.

Wasted Generation!

Nonsense!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by Chukazu: 9:33am On Oct 28, 2018
Joseph was also a 'type of Messianic" Christ

Joseph had 12 brothers , Christ had 12 Disciples

Joseph was sold by his brothers, Christ was sold by a Disciple

Joseph had his coat made mockery of , Christ had his Coat made mockery of by Roman Soldiers

Joseph redeemed his brothers, Christ redeemed and still redeems his brethren (His is first among many Brethren)

9 Likes

Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by InansBobo(m): 9:46am On Oct 28, 2018
Is it not same as what we read from the Bible?
Nice one sha
Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by ruzell86: 10:40am On Oct 28, 2018
tamethem:

Have you gone to Egypt to ask their Historians if there was no one called Joseph the Israelite as one of their rulers.

Everything about the Jews once inhabiting a part of Egypt is part of their National History. Go and Learn.

Mythology this

Mythology that.

You guys claim the only thing you can Believe is Science. Is Archaeology not part of Science? Why can't you honour its claims.

Do you follow Archaeological News at all to know there are proves of The Israelites living in Egypt sometime. You won't know, how would you when you are busy looking for for facts to deny the existence of God.

Artifacts of the Red Sea Crossing found under the sea bed of the same location of the Crossing by Archaeologists that are not even Christians.

Morronn of an entity.

It is when it concerns the confirmation of Biblical Happenings that you no longer believe in Science. But when it says you originated from monkeys you will believe. How would you not believe, when your reasoning is more or less of a monkey IQ.

Go and do your research on Archaeological Sites and know many of Biblical Claims are real and evidences have been found by Science to buttress their authenticity.

Wasted Generation!

Nonsense!

You sincerely nailed it.

So on point. You the man!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by Mrmrpee(m): 11:43am On Oct 28, 2018
well, this coat wouldn't be a reason to be envious of in this century cos it doesn't follow trend. as for his dreams, if he is a Nigerian I bet u the situation here can bend his dream to something else.
Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by KraticKratus: 12:17pm On Oct 28, 2018
cooldipo:
Nigerian like me dont know what depression is

But are you content?
Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by Nobody: 12:23pm On Oct 28, 2018
Only gay people wear coats of many colours these days. Who knows? Maybe Jose.....
Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by Katier00(f): 12:44pm On Oct 28, 2018
pussyAvenger:
...my coat of many colours that my mama made for me......

singing away in dolly Parton's voice
made only from Rex that I wore so proudly
Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by sKeetz(m): 2:20pm On Oct 28, 2018
tamethem:

Everything about the Jews once inhabiting a part of Egypt is part of their National History. That their kids learn from generation to generstion. Go and Learn.

Mythology this

Mythology that.

Do you follow Archaeological News at all? to know there are proofs of The Israelites living in Egypt sometime. You won't know, how would you, when you are busy looking up and down for facts to deny the existence of God.

Artifacts of the Red Sea Crossing found under the sea bed of the same location of the Crossing by Archaeologists that are not even Christians. It will all be fake news to guys like you living a fake life of "Freedom"

Morronn of an entity.

It is when it concerns the confirmation of Biblical Happenings that you no longer believe in Science. But when it says you originated from monkeys you will believe. How would you not believe, when your reasoning is more or less of a monkey's IQ.

Go and do your research on Archaeological Sites and know many of the Biblical Claims that have been found to be real and evidences have been found by Science to buttress their authenticity.

Wasted Generation!

Nonsense!

You are actually the ignorant one here. There is no archaeological evidence that shows that the Jews were ever enslaved in egypt, if there's any please post your source here. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by ephraim18(m): 2:47pm On Oct 28, 2018
some unrepented ignoramus and atheist of the highest order talking rubbish. as if they can do anything on thier own. in this life learn to believe without seen don't be a doubting thomas before its too late. repent and ask christ jesus to help u
Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by sKeetz(m): 2:52pm On Oct 28, 2018
ephraim18:
some unrepented ignoramus and atheist of the highest order talking rubbish. as if they can do anything on thier own. in this life learn to believe without seen don't be a doubting thomas before its too late. repent and ask christ jesus to help u

Bring evidence to support your ignorant beliefs, if you can't then shut the f up.
Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by Nobody: 4:23pm On Oct 28, 2018
sKeetz:

You are actually the ignorant one here. There is no archaeological evidence that shows that the Jews were ever enslaved in egypt, if there's any please post your source here. Thanks.

British Museum & Evidence of Israelite Slavery in Egypt

A mud brick with straw, stamped with a royal seal that says “House of Ramses ll,” and other cool artifacts.

The table of archaeological finds below, presented to me by Dr. John H. Taylor, the curator of the Egypt Department of the British Museum in London, reveals a mud brick with straw which is stamped with a royal seal which says: “House of Ramses ll”.

The mud brick, seen on the left side of the photo below, is one of 20 held in the basement vaults of the museum, and not exhibited to the public. The brick has been carbon dated to the Israelite period of slavery in Egypt.

Dr. Taylor states that the Israelites did not build the pyramids as is commonly thought. The pyramids were built 100 years after the Israelites left Egypt. What they did build were cities. The Bible states in Exodus 1:11-14, “So they appointed taskmasters over it (the Israelite nation) in order to afflict it with their burdens; it built storage cities for Pharaoh, Pithom and Ramses…They embittered their lives with hard work, with mortar and with bricks…” The Bible further states in Exodus, 5:10, “The taskmasters of the people and its foremen went out and spoke to the people, saying, “So said Pharaoh, I am not giving you straw. Go yourselves and take yourselves straw from whatever you find, for nothing will be reduced from your work.” In the close up photo of the brick below, one can see the straw and the seal which states, “House of Ramses ll”.

Below is a mural of slaves building a structure in Egypt dated from the Israelite period showing a pile of mud bricks similar to the brick displayed on the table above. Dr. John H. Taylor holds curatorial responsibility for ancient Egyptian funerary antiquities, amulets and jewelry. He also provides curatorial supervision for the departmental loans program. These items are sometimes loaned to outside museums and organizations.

Dr. Taylor then showed me a 12-foot iron snake staff found in a pyramid tomb. Shown below, the staff has a cobra head and is wavy and is evidence of the Egyptian magician’s staves mentioned in the Bible in Exodus, 7:11-12, “The magicians of Egypt did so with their incantations. Each one cast down his staff and they became snakes; and the staff of Aaron swallowed their staffs.”

The entire snake staff can be seen at the front of the table in the first photo above. The staff is wave like and when placed on the ground and manipulated by a magician can give the illusion of snake like movement. Egyptian magicians were known to be illusionists.

The wicker basket below is dated to the Egyptian period of the Israelites and is evidence of the use of wicker baskets as recorded in the Bible, Exodus 2: 3, “She could not hide him any longer, so she took a wicker basket and smeared it with clay and pitch; she placed the child (Moses) into it and placed it among the reeds at the bank of the River (Nile). “

The copper mirrors at the far right of the first photo above are evidence of the existence of copper mirrors used by Israelite women to beautify themselves and to entice their husbands to produce children despite the dangers of bringing children into the world amidst a slave existence. These copper mirrors are referred to in the Bible in Exodus 38:8, “He (Moses) made the wash basin of copper and its base of copper, from the mirrors of the legions who massed at the entrance of the Tent of Meeting. “ The 11 century French Biblical commentator, Rashi, comments that the Jewish women used these mirrors to beautify themselves in order to entice their husbands to produce children despite the fear of bringing children into a life of slavery. This attests to the greater faith of the Israelite women than that exhibited by the Israelite men, which faith has continued to sustain Jewish continuity.

The organizer of this private tour to the British Museum is London educator and historian, Rabbi Aryeh Forta who organizes monthly private tours of the Jewish artifacts at the British Museum. Also seen on this tour was a 3500 year old matzah with finger imprints of the matzah maker and silver wine bowls from the palace of Achashverosh mentioned in Megillas Esther.

Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by sKeetz(m): 4:28pm On Oct 28, 2018
tamethem:

British Museum & Evidence of Israelite Slavery in Egypt

A mud brick with straw, stamped with a royal seal that says “House of Ramses ll,” and other cool artifacts.

The table of archaeological finds below, presented to me by Dr. John H. Taylor, the curator of the Egypt Department of the British Museum in London, reveals a mud brick with straw which is stamped with a royal seal which says: “House of Ramses ll”.

The mud brick, seen on the left side of the photo below, is one of 20 held in the basement vaults of the museum, and not exhibited to the public. The brick has been carbon dated to the Israelite period of slavery in Egypt.

Dr. Taylor states that the Israelites did not build the pyramids as is commonly thought. The pyramids were built 100 years after the Israelites left Egypt. What they did build were cities. The Bible states in Exodus 1:11-14, “So they appointed taskmasters over it (the Israelite nation) in order to afflict it with their burdens; it built storage cities for Pharaoh, Pithom and Ramses…They embittered their lives with hard work, with mortar and with bricks…” The Bible further states in Exodus, 5:10, “The taskmasters of the people and its foremen went out and spoke to the people, saying, “So said Pharaoh, I am not giving you straw. Go yourselves and take yourselves straw from whatever you find, for nothing will be reduced from your work.” In the close up photo of the brick below, one can see the straw and the seal which states, “House of Ramses ll”.

Below is a mural of slaves building a structure in Egypt dated from the Israelite period showing a pile of mud bricks similar to the brick displayed on the table above. Dr. John H. Taylor holds curatorial responsibility for ancient Egyptian funerary antiquities, amulets and jewelry. He also provides curatorial supervision for the departmental loans program. These items are sometimes loaned to outside museums and organizations.

Dr. Taylor then showed me a 12-foot iron snake staff found in a pyramid tomb. Shown below, the staff has a cobra head and is wavy and is evidence of the Egyptian magician’s staves mentioned in the Bible in Exodus, 7:11-12, “The magicians of Egypt did so with their incantations. Each one cast down his staff and they became snakes; and the staff of Aaron swallowed their staffs.”

The entire snake staff can be seen at the front of the table in the first photo above. The staff is wave like and when placed on the ground and manipulated by a magician can give the illusion of snake like movement. Egyptian magicians were known to be illusionists.

The wicker basket below is dated to the Egyptian period of the Israelites and is evidence of the use of wicker baskets as recorded in the Bible, Exodus 2: 3, “She could not hide him any longer, so she took a wicker basket and smeared it with clay and pitch; she placed the child (Moses) into it and placed it among the reeds at the bank of the River (Nile). “

The copper mirrors at the far right of the first photo above are evidence of the existence of copper mirrors used by Israelite women to beautify themselves and to entice their husbands to produce children despite the dangers of bringing children into the world amidst a slave existence. These copper mirrors are referred to in the Bible in Exodus 38:8, “He (Moses) made the wash basin of copper and its base of copper, from the mirrors of the legions who massed at the entrance of the Tent of Meeting. “ The 11 century French Biblical commentator, Rashi, comments that the Jewish women used these mirrors to beautify themselves in order to entice their husbands to produce children despite the fear of bringing children into a life of slavery. This attests to the greater faith of the Israelite women than that exhibited by the Israelite men, which faith has continued to sustain Jewish continuity.

The organizer of this private tour to the British Museum is London educator and historian, Rabbi Aryeh Forta who organizes monthly private tours of the Jewish artifacts at the British Museum. Also seen on this tour was a 3500 year old matzah with finger imprints of the matzah maker and silver wine bowls from the palace of Achashverosh mentioned in Megillas Esther.
source?
Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by Nobody: 4:34pm On Oct 28, 2018
sKeetz:

Here is another Claim by another Professor. He claims that not all Israel lived in Egypt but the Levites . Whether is All Israel or a Quarter of Israel, the bone of contention is were the Israelite in Egypt or not.

Yes. At a recent international conference entitled “Out of Egypt” on the question of the Exodus’ historicity, one point of agreement, I believe, among most of the 45 participating scholars was that Semitic peoples, or Western Asiatics, were in fact living in Egypt and were traveling to and from there for centuries. And the evidence indicates that the smaller group among them, who were connected with the Exodus, were Levites. The Levites were members of the group associated with Moses, the Exodus, and the Sinai events depicted in the Bible. In the Torah, Moses is identified as a Levite. Also, out of all of Israel only Levites had Egyptian names: Moses, Phinehas, Hophni, and Hur are all Egyptian names. We in the United States and Canada, lands of immigrants, are especially aware of how much names reveal about people’s backgrounds. The names Friedman, Martinez, and Shaughnessy each reveal something different about where they came from. Levites have names that come from Egypt. Other Israelites don’t.
Present scholarship on the question of who wrote the Bible bolsters this picture that the Levites were the group who departed Egypt. The Five Books of Moses were not written by Moses but by authors of four main texts, known as J, E, P, and D. Three of the four texts—E, P, and D—are traced to authors who were Levite priests, and these three are the only ones telling the story of Moses, Pharaoh, and the plagues. The fourth main source, called J, the one that shows no signs of having been written by a Levite priest, makes no mention of the plagues. It just jumps from Moses’ saying “Let my people go” to the story of the event at the sea.
The Levite authors also devote more ink in Exodus, Leviticus, and Numbers to the Tabernacle—the Tent of Meeting which held the ark in the Exodus account—than they do to any other subject. The non-Levite text, J, doesn’t mention it. This is also significant because the architecture of the Tabernacle and its surrounding courtyard matches that of the battle tent of Pharaoh Rameses II, for which we have archaeological evidence, as was shown by Professor Michael Homan in a brilliant combination of archaeology and text ( To Your Tents, O Israel, 2005). Professor Sperling had emphasized in the RJ article that, archaeologically, there are no Egyptian elements in Israel’s material culture. But in the Tabernacle we do have those Egyptian elements. Egyptian culture is present, but, again, only among the Levites, not all of Israel.
Likewise, only the Levite authors emphasize that males have to be circumcised, which was an Egyptian practice. They write of God commanding Abraham to make circumcision the sign of the covenant (Genesis 17), and they include the commandment for all males of Israel to do so (Leviticus 12:3.) Only the non-Levite source, J, does not command it. Again, the connections with Egyptian culture are there—but only among the Levites.
And the Levite authors are also the ones who explicitly insist that Israel must not mistreat aliens (foreign residents). The first occurrence of the word “Torah” in the Torah, in Exodus 12, says, “You shall have one Torah for the citizen and the alien.” The Levite sources say it about 50 more times, and several times tell us why: “Because we were aliens in Egypt!”—we know how it feels. And, again, the non-Levite source, J, doesn’t command this. This most explicit reflection of the Egyptian experience in Israel’s culture occurs in all of the Levite sources and not in the non-Levite source.
So if you’re talking about the Levites rather than all of the Israelites, the argument archaeologists have made that we haven’t found evidence of Egyptian cultural influence on the Israelites is not true. It is present in the Egyptian names, circumcision practices, the teachings about aliens, and in the design of the Tabernacle.

https://reformjudaism.org/exodus-not-fiction
Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by Nobody: 4:35pm On Oct 28, 2018
Re: The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors by Jasperwhizz(m): 5:08pm On Oct 28, 2018
post=72471554:
One of the most interesting stories in the Holy Book......

When God is about to lift you up, there is nothing or anybody that can oppose that.

May God remember us for good in the days of our youth.
AMEN.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do People Deny Power Of God? / Peaceful Debate Between Theists And Atheists Holds Here / Some Occultic Signs And Symbols We Use,wear E.t.c

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.