Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,675 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:18 PM

Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt (2935 Views)

First U.S Moon Landing Mission In 50 Yrs Suffers Failure & Technical Issue (Pix) / NASA Announces It Has Found Water On The Moon For The First Time (Photos) / Israel's ₦36 Billion Spacecraft Crashed Into Pieces During Moon Landing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by Conspiracist: 6:26pm On Oct 28, 2018

Mankind first stepped foot on the Moon on 20 July 1969, achieving what is arguably humanity’s greatest ever feat of exploration. For two and a half hours, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin explored the lunar surface on foot while Michael Collins piloted the Apollo 11 orbiter around the Moon. That’s the history that we continue to celebrate today, nearly 50 years on from the first landing. Many of us either remember watching the landing ourselves or have heard the memories from our parents and grandparents. But did it really happened?
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by Holumhidey(m): 6:28pm On Oct 28, 2018
i no know oo

dont ask me stupid question......

1 Like

Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by Conspiracist: 6:38pm On Oct 28, 2018

Questiin #1: Wouldn’t the Van Allen belts have fried the astronauts?

Answer:

One of the most popular theories as to why the Moon landings couldn’t have happened has to do with something called the Van Allen belts . These are two huge belts of radiation that surround the Earth, shaped by Earth’s magnetic field and pounded with high-energy particles from the Sun’s wind.

It’s been claimed that humans couldn’t have passed through these belts without being fried with lethal doses of radiation.
In fact, the international scientific community was aware of the Van Allen belts thanks to the
Explorer , Pioneer , and Luna missions in the 1950s

Luckily, the timings of the Apollo launches were such that the Van Allen belts were at their lowest intensity, which fluctuates with the Sun’s activity.

Radiation sickness occurs when you have been exposed to around 200 to 1000 ‘rads’ of radiation within a few hours. The Apollo 11 crew were within the belts for less than two hours during their journey to the Moon, and so would have only been exposed to an estimated 18 rads – well within the safe limit. There can still be some adverse effects from even this level of radiation, so NASA made sure that the Apollo 11 spacecraft was well-insulated such that the average dose of radiation over the 12-day mission was just 0.18 rads, or similar to the radiation dosage from a chest X-ray.

You can work through all the maths of the estimated radiation levels, along with some helpful answers, in this NASA Education worksheet here .

Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by Conspiracist: 6:39pm On Oct 28, 2018
Holumhidey:
i no know oo

dont ask me stupid question......

oga I didn't force you to comment, you could have just kept quiet and let someone that has something to say come forward

1 Like

Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by Conspiracist: 6:42pm On Oct 28, 2018

Question #2: Why did the flag flap on the Moon?

Answer:

Another ‘giveaway’ that the landing was faked comes from the footage of the American flag that Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin placed on the Moon. From photos and video, it appears to be flapping in the wind. But hold on a minute! There’s no air on the Moon so how can it flutter?!

The truth is that the flag isn’t flapping. If you look closely at the gif to the left, the flag is in the same position between two frames as the astronaut moves. There is a horizontal rod projecting from the post at the top of the pole to hold the flag unfurled. The flag was disturbed as it was planted into the ground and kept this bent shape because of the lack of strong gravity on the Moon.

In video footage of the flag being planted into the Moon’s surface , it also appears to wave back and forth. This is because when the astronauts were planting it, they rotated it back and forth to better dig into the lunar soil, which of course made the flag ripple as it swung like a pendulum- without a breeze. There’s a huge amount of footage of the flags stood on the Moon in exactly the same position.
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by Conspiracist: 6:45pm On Oct 28, 2018

Question #3: Why can’t we see stars in the Moon landing pictures?

Speaking of the flag photographs, it’s often pointed out that there are no stars to be seen in the background! This is actually a common feature of photographs from space, where the contrast between light and dark is extreme.

The surface of the Moon reflects the strong sunlight and appears very bright in photographs. This brightness drowns out the relatively dim light from stars in the dark sky, akin to how car headlights can drown out the fainter light from nearby objects. The human eye can adjust and pick out the stars, but unless it’s set to the right settings, a camera struggles with the contrast.

Astronauts on the International Space Station today regularly take photographs of the Earth that show a completely starless background, but it’s the same problem of contrasts at work.
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by Conspiracist: 6:49pm On Oct 28, 2018
Question #4: You can tell Apollo was faked because ... only two astronauts walked on the moon at a time, yet in photographs such as this one where both are visible, there is no sign of a camera. So who took the picture?

Answer:
The fact of the matter is ... the cameras were mounted to the astronauts' chests, said astronomer Phil Plait, author of the award-winning blog Bad Astronomy and president of the James Randi Educational Foundation
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by Holumhidey(m): 6:54pm On Oct 28, 2018
Conspiracist:

oga I didn't force you to comment, you could have just kept quiet and let someone that has something to say come forward
why ask stupid questions?
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by Conspiracist: 6:57pm On Oct 28, 2018

#5 Why Are The Shadows Misaligned If There Only One Source Of Light?

Let’s talk about the shadows in photographs from the Moon. One of the subtler arguments against the Moon landings has to do with non-parallel shadows. If the Sun is the only source of light, why do some shadows appear to point in multiple directions? For example, in the picture on the left, the astronaut’s shadow matches up with the lander’s, but there seems to be another shadow from the lander foot pointing towards the astronaut. There must be additional studio lights to explain this!

Actually, a rough, uneven surface can cause all sorts of shadows at different angles, even with a single light source like the Sun. This something that can be easily experimented with at home. The combination of the Moon’s rough surface and the long shadows from a Sun low in the sky can easily create complicated shadows.

The funny shadow in the picture above is likely created by an uneven ridge that extends towards astronaut and a low-angle Sun.
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by Conspiracist: 7:03pm On Oct 28, 2018
mkmyers45 , UjSizzle , lalasticlala Seun Mynd44
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by njelrapheal: 7:29pm On Oct 28, 2018
The moon landing is a hoax. Even NASA admitted not leaving lower earth orbit. If it were to be true, then why is it that not one single photo of the earth from the moon. Mind you, all pictures put up by NASA has been proven to be fake. Even one NASA employee was caught on tape saying that it has to be Photoshopped.
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by njelrapheal: 7:31pm On Oct 28, 2018
Conspiracist:

#5 Why Are The Shadows Misaligned If There Only One Source Of Light?

Let’s talk about the shadows in photographs from the Moon. One of the subtler arguments against the Moon landings has to do with non-parallel shadows. If the Sun is the only source of light, why do some shadows appear to point in multiple directions? For example, in the picture on the left, the astronaut’s shadow matches up with the lander’s, but there seems to be another shadow from the lander foot pointing towards the astronaut. There must be additional studio lights to explain this!

Actually, a rough, uneven surface can cause all sorts of shadows at different angles, even with a single light source like the Sun. This something that can be easily experimented with at home. The combination of the Moon’s rough surface and the long shadows from a Sun low in the sky can easily create complicated shadows.

The funny shadow in the picture above is likely created by an uneven ridge that extends towards astronaut and a low-angle Sun.
you talked about the brightness of the sun contrasting the darkness and inability to see stars yet you are saying that a rough surface would produce all kinds of Shadows. Well it can but not like the ones seen on the so footage.
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by njelrapheal: 7:33pm On Oct 28, 2018
Conspiracist:
Question #4: You can tell Apollo was faked because ... only two astronauts walked on the moon at a time, yet in photographs such as this one where both are visible, there is no sign of a camera. So who took the picture?

Answer:
The fact of the matter is ... the cameras were mounted to the astronauts' chests, said astronomer Phil Plait, author of the award-winning blog Bad Astronomy and president of the James Randi Educational Foundation
so when they were mounting the flag, whose chest had the camera videoing them
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by njelrapheal: 7:39pm On Oct 28, 2018
Conspiracist:

Question #3: Why can’t we see stars in the Moon landing pictures?

Speaking of the flag photographs, it’s often pointed out that there are no stars to be seen in the background! This is actually a common feature of photographs from space, where the contrast between light and dark is extreme.

The surface of the Moon reflects the strong sunlight and appears very bright in photographs. This brightness drowns out the relatively dim light from stars in the dark sky, akin to how car headlights can drown out the fainter light from nearby objects. The human eye can adjust and pick out the stars, but unless it’s set to the right settings, a camera struggles with the contrast.

Astronauts on the International Space Station today regularly take photographs of the Earth that show a completely starless background, but it’s the same problem of contrasts at work.

there is no way that one isn't supposed to see stars on the dark side of the moon given how dark it is. One facing that dark side would definitely see the stars at least one star shining. Lol. From the photo u put up there, from the shadows, you can tell the light source. So why can't you see a single star on the other that isn't receiving the light of the sun.
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by Conspiracist: 9:01pm On Oct 28, 2018
njelrapheal:
there is no way that one isn't supposed to see stars on the dark side of the moon given how dark it is. One facing that dark side would definitely see the stars at least one star shining. Lol. From the photo u put up there, from the shadows, you can tell the light source. So why can't you see a single star on the other that isn't receiving the light of the sun.

- the moon surface reflects light and that glare would have made it difficult to see star

-Dont forget it was 1969 so the astronauts photographed their lunar adventures using fast exposure settings, not the hd camera we have now, and this would have limited incoming background light

- They were taking pictures at 1/150th or 1/250th of a second, in n that amount of time, stars just don't show up bruh.... it's impossible

I hope I cleared this question
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by Conspiracist: 9:12pm On Oct 28, 2018
njelrapheal:
so when they were mounting the flag, whose chest had the camera videoing them

Buzz Aldrin's
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by Conspiracist: 9:13pm On Oct 28, 2018
njelrapheal:
The moon landing is a hoax. Even NASA admitted not leaving lower earth orbit. If it were to be true, then why is it that not one single photo of the earth from the moon. Mind you, all pictures put up by NASA has been proven to be fake. Even one NASA employee was caught on tape saying that it has to be Photoshopped.

I would really appreciate if you can provide links for your claims
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by Tomoyayi(m): 9:14pm On Oct 28, 2018
Why have they not gone back again?

1 Like

Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by Conspiracist: 9:25pm On Oct 28, 2018
Tomoyayi:
Why have they not gone back again?

Of course theve gone nine different times since the
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by Tomoyayi(m): 9:28pm On Oct 28, 2018
Conspiracist:

Of course theve gone nine different times since the

I know, why have they not gone back since December 1972?
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by njelrapheal: 10:53pm On Oct 28, 2018
Conspiracist:

I would really appreciate if you can provide links for your claims
[url][/url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpPMoIv1lxI there are much more, I just don't have the time to bring them all here. U could look them up on YouTube.
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by njelrapheal: 11:00pm On Oct 28, 2018
Conspiracist:

- the moon surface reflects light and that glare would have made it difficult to see star

-Dont forget it was 1969 so the astronauts photographed their lunar adventures using fast exposure settings, not the hd camera we have now, and this would have limited incoming background light

- They were taking pictures at 1/150th or 1/250th of a second, in n that amount of time, stars just don't show up bruh.... it's impossible

I hope I cleared this question
you didn't clear anything. You said the moon reflects light and the glare would make it difficult to see the star. That surface u saw, does it look like it's reflective to you. You and I know how reflective surface should be to reflect such huge amount of light that travels all the way down to earth. What is the reflectivity of the moon.there simply is no way the glare would make it impossible to see the stars on the dark side. I don't know much about cameras but am sure dey had videos Right. Why are there no stars on the video too
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by njelrapheal: 11:11pm On Oct 28, 2018
Conspiracist:

Buzz Aldrin's
how ? Thought they were two people mounting the flag
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by MobileGees: 11:12pm On Oct 28, 2018
Tomoyayi:

I know, why have they not gone back since December 1972?

the finance each trip cost is too much moreover there is no productive reason to go there for now
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by njelrapheal: 11:19pm On Oct 28, 2018
MobileGees:

the finance each trip cost is too much moreover there is no productive reason to go there for now
what do u mean about finance. Do u know the annual budget of NASA. Ok no reason to go there but they purportedly sent a rover to mars. SMH. wouldn't it have been better they explore the moon in its entirety first as it's much more closer coupled with the new advanced technology. Lol
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by Conspiracist: 11:58pm On Oct 28, 2018
njelrapheal:
you didn't clear anything. You said the moon reflects light and the glare would make it difficult to see the star. That surface u saw, does it look like it's reflective to you. You and I know how reflective surface should be to reflect such huge amount of light that travels all the way down to earth. What is the reflectivity of the moon.there simply is no way the glare would make it impossible to see the stars on the dark side. I don't know much about cameras but am sure dey had videos Right. Why are there no stars on the video too

check the link below to be certain if the moon truly reflects light
https://www.livescience.com/45979-why-does-the-moon-shine.html

so to the next topic why the sky dark and not blue like earth if it's reflects light ?

With the atmosphere of the moon being times less dense than that of Earth, there is negligible
scattering , so whereas on Earth, approximately 25% of direct solar radiation is scattered around (making the sky light up and appear blue), there is no mechanism for this on the moon, and all light from the sun travels (essentially) unaffected to the surface.

And to you last question, I can't emphasize it enought

number one which I already said is the 1969 Apollo wasn't a video footage, it was camera which took pictures at 1/150th of a second and talking about cameras

a photocamera has a certain exposure time. For bright objects you choose a short exposure time, and than you will not be able to see the dimmer objects; and for dim objects you use long exposure times, and than bright objects will be overexposed. To see stars on a photograph the exposure time has to be at least a few seconds. You will need a tripod to keep the camera steady and perhaps even let the camera follow the daily movement of the stars.

On almost every picture you will find a rather bright object (Earth, ISS, Moon, etc.) with the correct exposure time -- so you should not expect to see any star at all.

That is, If the cameras were set up to capture the relatively dim stars, brighter objects in the image - such as the Earth, the spacecraft, the ISS, etc. - would be overly bright and “"wash out” the image. You simply can't capture that wide a range of brightnesses at once.

and for your info it is not literally impossible to see stars in the moon even those Apollo footages contain stars you just have to hunt for them

Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by Conspiracist: 12:04am On Oct 29, 2018
for your reference sake I decided to do some practicals, I went out this night and took a picture of the sky, did you see any stars? and I can see stars with my physical eyes

1 Like

Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by Conspiracist: 12:06am On Oct 29, 2018
lalasticlala
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by MobileGees: 12:26am On Oct 29, 2018
njelrapheal:
what do u mean about finance. Do u know the annual budget of NASA. Ok no reason to go there but they purportedly sent a rover to mars. SMH. wouldn't it have been better they explore the moon in its entirety first as it's much more closer coupled with the new advanced technology. Lol

which kind of foolish argument is this?? moon has been gone to nine times and mars that's has never been explored which do you think is more productive and sensible to go to
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by njelrapheal: 1:36am On Oct 29, 2018
Conspiracist:

check the link below to be certain if the moon truly reflects light
https://www.livescience.com/45979-why-does-the-moon-shine.html

so to the next topic why the sky dark and not blue like earth if it's reflects light ?

With the atmosphere of the moon being times less dense than that of Earth, there is negligible
scattering , so whereas on Earth, approximately 25% of direct solar radiation is scattered around (making the sky light up and appear blue), there is no mechanism for this on the moon, and all light from the sun travels (essentially) unaffected to the surface.

And to you last question, I can't emphasize it enought

number one which I already said is the 1969 Apollo wasn't a video footage, it was camera which took pictures at 1/150th of a second and talking about cameras

a photocamera has a certain exposure time. For bright objects you choose a short exposure time, and than you will not be able to see the dimmer objects; and for dim objects you use long exposure times, and than bright objects will be overexposed. To see stars on a photograph the exposure time has to be at least a few seconds. You will need a tripod to keep the camera steady and perhaps even let the camera follow the daily movement of the stars.

On almost every picture you will find a rather bright object (Earth, ISS, Moon, etc.) with the correct exposure time -- so you should not expect to see any star at all.

That is, If the cameras were set up to capture the relatively dim stars, brighter objects in the image - such as the Earth, the spacecraft, the ISS, etc. - would be overly bright and “"wash out” the image. You simply can't capture that wide a range of brightnesses at once.

and for your info it is not literally impossible to see stars in the moon even those Apollo footages contain stars you just have to hunt for them
first off. That article did not tell how the moon reflects the light from the sun especially as u have pointed out that there bus no scattering and all the light falls and the moon without looses. That should make the moon shine even brighter given the lack of absorbing medium. But as you and I can see from the pictures and from the videos , it clearly don't look that bright.
Talking about videos. Video recording has been around since 1956 or there about. I actually just watched the videos clips of the so called moon landing.
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by njelrapheal: 1:41am On Oct 29, 2018
MobileGees:

which kind of foolish argument is this?? moon has been gone to nine times and mars that's has never been explored which do you think is more productive and sensible to go to

my brother , the argument here is that the moon landing is a hoax. The annual budget of NASA is about 53 billion dollars. So finance to go to the moon isnt a problem coupled more with the available technology. Even NASA is still developing machines that can take them to the moon.[url][/url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpPMoIv1lxI
Re: Was The Moon Landing Faked? 6 Questions And Answers To Clear Your Doubt by njelrapheal: 1:44am On Oct 29, 2018
Conspiracist:
for your reference sake I decided to do some practicals, I went out this night and took a picture of the sky, did you see any stars? and I can see stars with my physical eyes
This is funny because another must have taken a photo and even video of the night sky. I could do a Google search on that and come with many results. Anyway, out there in outer space if it ever exists, there are no clouds that could obstruct the presence of stars

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built / How Do I Connect The TV In My Bedroom To The One In The Living Room / 250miles Above The Earth, A Tour Inside International Space Station(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.