Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,796 members, 7,802,536 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:05 PM

What Is Western Education? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is Western Education? (3749 Views)

Western Ville University Distance Learning Program Inquiry / This Is The Senate Building Of A University In Western Nigeria. / Western Delta University Lecturer Rocks Students Wig In Class (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Western Education? by Nobody: 12:38am On Oct 30, 2018
Please folks dont be offended by my emphasis on Islam or Muslims here, I only desire to know what is western education because my understanding of education as a whole doesn't seem to give room such a term and I desire to know more.

WikiPedia defines education as : Education is the process of facilitating learning, or the acquisition of knowledge, skills, values, beliefs, and habits.

Or to put it short, What makes education a western one ?

Thanks
Re: What Is Western Education? by WetinConsignMe: 2:41am On Oct 30, 2018
CodeSapien:
Please folks dont be offended by my emphasis on Islam or Muslims here, I only desire to know what is western education because my understanding of education as a whole doesn't seem to give room such a term and I desire to know more.

WikiPedia defines education as : Education is the process of facilitating learning, or the acquisition of knowledge, skills, values, beliefs, and habits.

Or to put it short, What makes education a western one ?

Thanks

What is Islamic education or Christian education? You get the picture?
Re: What Is Western Education? by Nobody: 9:39am On Oct 30, 2018
WetinConsignMe:

What is Islamic education or Christian education? You get the picture?
Western education is a term common to Muslims/Islam. That's why O expect answers from them. Please don't confuse this for a debate or argument it is just a man trying to know more.
Re: What Is Western Education? by WetinConsignMe: 12:07pm On Oct 30, 2018
CodeSapien:
Western education is a term common to Muslims/Islam. That's why O expect answers from them. Please don't confuse this for a debate or argument it is just a man trying to know more.

Same way Islamic education lays emphasis on Islamic culture, western education lays emphasis on western culture (us, UK, western euro). Understand?
Re: What Is Western Education? by Nobody: 12:33am On Nov 07, 2018
WetinConsignMe:

Same way Islamic education lays emphasis on Islamic culture, western education lays emphasis on western culture (us, UK, western euro). Understand?
I don't see how conventional education lay emphasis on western culture though. You can enlighten me about it if you know anyway it emphasizes western culture.
Re: What Is Western Education? by WetinConsignMe: 1:49am On Nov 07, 2018
CodeSapien:
I don't see how conventional education lay emphasis on western culture though. You can enlighten me about it if you know anyway it emphasizes western culture.

Conventional education in Nigeria IS western education. The entire educational system itself is part of western culture. Just that it is so ingrained and pervasive u forget it is imported. It is predicated on western inventions, western notion of history, scientific method, western system of teaching and schooling, culture and traditions, religion, languages, etc. It will NOT teach u using Arabic or African languages, or teach u about sharia, or African native medicine and inventions, or use native African teaching and learning methods, etc.

1 Like

Re: What Is Western Education? by Nobody: 1:13am On Nov 08, 2018
WetinConsignMe:

Conventional education in Nigeria IS western education. The entire educational system itself is part of western culture. Just that it is so ingrained and pervasive u forget it is imported. It is predicated on western inventions, western notion of history, scientific method, western system of teaching and schooling, culture and traditions, religion, languages, etc. It will NOT teach u using Arabic or African languages, or teach u about sharia, or African native medicine and inventions, or use native African teaching and learning methods, etc.
That's not correct. It teaches about the best approach to science, business and arts.
That's why any Arabic invention that's superior to the ones taught deserves to be integrated into conventional education and not the total discard of researched principles and approaches like anti-western education advocates want.

If any Arabic scientist(s) has a better approach(es) to electricity why not sample such works for all human race to see? Why associate it with Arabic religion or culture when there are Arabic raised scientist in 'mainstream' science?
Re: What Is Western Education? by WetinConsignMe: 2:00am On Nov 08, 2018
CodeSapien:

That's not correct. It teaches about the best approach to science, business and arts.
That's why any Arabic invention that's superior to the ones taught deserves to be integrated into conventional education and not the total discard of researched principles and approaches like anti-western education advocates want.

If any Arabic scientist(s) has a better approach(es) to electricity why not sample such works for all human race to see? Why associate it with Arabic religion or culture when there are Arabic raised scientist in 'mainstream' science?

Wrong! It doesn't teach things like fen shui or Tai Chi or chakras nor recognize better alternatives from other cultures like acupuncture or herbal "magic". Neither does it teach in languages just as good as western languages. Neither does it recognize proven things from other cultures that logic and scientific method can't explain.
Re: What Is Western Education? by Nobody: 8:30am On Nov 08, 2018
WetinConsignMe:

Wrong! It doesn't teach things like fen shui or Tai Chi or chakras nor recognize better alternatives from other cultures like acupuncture or herbal "magic". Neither does it teach in languages just as good as western languages. Neither does it recognize proven things from other cultures that logic and scientific method can't explain.
Language of nations has always been largely determined by colonisation pattern. In Nigeria for example the southerners who accepted Christianity could have equally demanded for Hebrew or Greek as language in response to the demand of Arabic by Muslims but they easily settled for English not because English as a language has any direct connection to Christianities but because it afforded those speaking English the opportunity to reach out to a wider range of English speaking nations Like america, Canada and South Africa.

Your definition of wester education is a clear attempt at backdating the colonization of Nigeria to when Islamist first made contacts against when English men did.
Re: What Is Western Education? by Nobody: 8:41am On Nov 08, 2018
WetinConsignMe:

Wrong! It doesn't teach things like fen shui or Tai Chi or chakras nor recognize better alternatives from other cultures like acupuncture or herbal "magic".
Those things you mentioned are not yet scientifically verified and are hard to prove their effectiveness scientifically.

There are witchdoctors or babalawo scattered all over the western nations but have you seen their works in anatomy or medical science journals? You will never see them if they aren't scientifically proven. Those are the real western culture. Does western education as you tag it support exorcisms why is part of western life?
Re: What Is Western Education? by Dimahtee: 12:44pm On Nov 08, 2018
CodeSapien:

Well, to explain to someone who has not been in contact with any other form of education that education in Nigeria western will be very difficult.

It is like the only thing you know (to be right) is being questioned.

Keep an open mind, bro. You might eventually get the answers you need.
Re: What Is Western Education? by WetinConsignMe: 3:14pm On Nov 08, 2018
CodeSapien:
Those things you mentioned are not yet scientifically verified and are hard to prove their effectiveness scientifically.

There are witchdoctors or babalawo scattered all over the western nations but have you seen their works in anatomy or medical science journals? You will never see them if they aren't scientifically proven. Those are the real western culture. Does western education as you tag it support exorcisms why is part of western life?

But who defined "scientifically verified"? The West. Nothing is verifiable in this our reality because we have no way of knowing if what we are observing is what's really there. There is a very high probability that this our reality is simulated.
You have "Western education" the same way you have "French fries", "Swiss cheese", "Nigerian scam", "Belgium", "London-used", "Aba-made", "Chinese film", etc. It simply denotes where the thing initially originated from, and sometimes it doesn't even denote that - it is just a popular term that everyone uses.
I'm sure now you have been fully educated on this, your question fully answered cheesy Ciao.
Re: What Is Western Education? by Nobody: 1:28am On Nov 09, 2018
WetinConsignMe:

But who defined "scientifically verified"? The West. Nothing is verifiable in this our reality because we have no way of knowing if what we are observing is what's really there. There is a very high probability that this our reality is simulated.
You have "Western education" the same way you have "French fries", "Swiss cheese", "Nigerian scam", "Belgium", "London-used", "Aba-made", "Chinese film", etc. It simply denotes where the thing initially originated from, and sometimes it doesn't even denote that - it is just a popular term that everyone uses.
I'm sure now you have been fully educated on this, your question fully answered cheesy Ciao.
I thought the Arabs claimed they have science in their own almajiri system? Read this : https://guardian.ng/features/north-in-shadows-of-illiteracy-insurgency/

Excerpt:

Another Islamic scholar, Abduttawab Rahmani, added that Arabic syntax and morphology evolved to protect the Quran from ungrammatical utterances by foreign speakers. It should be noted that Islamic education covers other areas of study in economics social sciences, medicine, pure science, arts and law.
Prior to the arrival of the British colonialists, the almajiri system was founded to perpetuate Islamic education. Pupils lived with their parents, the schools were within their vicinity, institutional funding was provided and even an inspector reported to the emir on progress.

From the above excerpt it can be seen clearly that the call for abolition of 'western' education was is like a call for abolition of a superior form of what they claim Islamic education will offer.
What we call western education center around the idea of strong reasoning and questioning or scrutiny of ideas
Re: What Is Western Education? by Nobody: 1:30am On Nov 09, 2018
Dimahtee:

Well, to explain to someone who has not been in contact with any other form of education that education in Nigeria western will be very difficult.

It is like the only thing you know (to be right) is being questioned.

Keep an open mind, bro. You might eventually get the answers you need.

Read this:

Another Islamic scholar, Abduttawab Rahmani, added that Arabic syntax and morphology evolved to protect the Quran from ungrammatical utterances by foreign speakers. It should be noted that Islamic education covers other areas of study in economics social sciences, medicine, pure science, arts and law.
Prior to the arrival of the British colonialists, the almajiri system was founded to perpetuate Islamic education. Pupils lived with their parents, the schools were within their vicinity, institutional funding was provided and even an inspector reported to the emir on progress.

Even the Islamists grudgingly admin what 'western' education teaches are relevant.
Re: What Is Western Education? by WetinConsignMe: 3:52am On Nov 09, 2018
CodeSapien:
I thought the Arabs claimed they have science in their own almajiri system? Read this : https://guardian.ng/features/north-in-shadows-of-illiteracy-insurgency/

Excerpt:

From the above excerpt it can be seen clearly that the call for abolition of 'western' education was is like a call for abolition of a superior form of what they claim Islamic education will offer.
What we call western education center around the idea of strong reasoning and questioning or scrutiny of ideas

Now u getting it. Islamic education requires that u accept, without questioning, that the Koran are Allah's words given to Mohammed. In Western education u can argue that the Koran was made up by human beings and that there is no such Person as Allah.
Re: What Is Western Education? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Nov 16, 2018
WetinConsignMe:

Now u getting it. Islamic education requires that u accept, without questioning, that the Koran are Allah's words given to Mohammed. In Western education u can argue that the Koran was made up by human beings and that there is no such Person as Allah.
That's the opposite of rationalism. it is like zombiism. Why cant I weight some thing I will spend the rest of my life doing?

(1) (Reply)

30 More Photos To Restore Your Faith In Humanity 4 / NÀÌJÁ THROWBACK: The Asaba – Onitsha Crossing, 1959 & Now / Loans For University & Polytechnic Students in Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.