Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:31 AM

Op-ed Opinion: The Problem With Nigerians And Success ( Photo ) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Op-ed Opinion: The Problem With Nigerians And Success ( Photo ) (511 Views)

What Is Bishop Oyedepo's Problem With Buhari? See This / Opinion: The South And Its Bigotry And The New DG DSS / I Have No Problem With Tinubu - Ambode Speaks On Rift (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Op-ed Opinion: The Problem With Nigerians And Success ( Photo ) by Nobody: 2:50pm On Nov 01, 2018
A Friend once said to me during lunch together

" Nigerians like to throw down the ladder to success after they have climbed rather than let others climb after them.

I was puzzled, " how do you mean" I asked. He continued.

Nigerians like to spoil the path that lead them to success so others wouldn't follow. We do this everywhere and all the time.

They wouldn't offer assistance but would rather praise their hardwork and effort forgetting how society made them get where they are.

For one, Nigerians abroad hate offering assistance to others down here. But would try to associate after you find your way down there , forgetting he/she ignored your calls and pleas for a place to stay.

Imagine our present education was brought about by the same leaders who enjoyed quality and free lunch yet never thought it sane enough to maintain that same quality or is it standards of living or electricity.

Amaka , check those government scholarship earners that where helped with tuition fees, sent abroad and are now working, making millions. How many are giving back or helping others to attain the same success they got through such aids ?

We like to complain about the quality of graduates, and skills but how many are offering training programs to help those graduate be at least employable ?
Even though most benefited from some free programs or workshop where they aquire skills, yet most wouldn't share those knowledge. Lecturers are too quick to fail students rather than teach them , or guide them to success

See that site you check all the time, Nairaland you said the owner trained himself and built the site right? you say he complains about the coding quality of Nigerians, has he ever done anything to assist those willing to learn ?

We like to feel like Elisha, like we are the only ones who can attain success , or that we are too different from everyone else hence wouldn't offer assistance to others down the ladder, but throw it down .

Last week , My proposal got denied because the CEO , who is from U of Aberdeen said they aren't quality enough, that all our Nigerian works aren't quality enough hence he would be asking people from the UK, mind you he was helped by a Nigerian philanthropist to go study there yet he ready to throw all our work away without the same compassion offered to him.

It struck me, Chinese like to gather and assist their own but successful Nigerians hate to offer assistance, look at Football few are willing to give back and help young ones.

Re: Op-ed Opinion: The Problem With Nigerians And Success ( Photo ) by GrammarNazi1(m): 4:14pm On Nov 01, 2018
Even though some Nigerians are exceptions, it's appalling that too many fall into your description.
Re: Op-ed Opinion: The Problem With Nigerians And Success ( Photo ) by Nobody: 4:47pm On Nov 01, 2018
cry
Re: Op-ed Opinion: The Problem With Nigerians And Success ( Photo ) by Zanotee: 11:42pm On Nov 01, 2018
I call it "Igberaga" Pride
Re: Op-ed Opinion: The Problem With Nigerians And Success ( Photo ) by 2buffagain(m): 3:40am On Nov 02, 2018
A lot of Nigerians have been burned sticking their neck out for fellow Nigerians.
Imagine recommending your fellow Nigerian for a job and when he enters, he starts doing "sharp guy things" in the job to perpetuate the stereotypes held about Nigerians.

I only recommend people for work when I know they have the competence and Discipline to handle it....not just because we come from the same country. Assuming the Nigerian had an acceptable level of competence that was even slightly lower than the competition, I will def pick the Nigerian because he meets the requirement to do the job. A lot of us want to help, but you have to give us something to work with.

I can hang out with anyone, but I cannot work with just anyone. 2 very different things.

Advice on ways to improve is always free though....if the fellow is actually interested in improving.
Re: Op-ed Opinion: The Problem With Nigerians And Success ( Photo ) by 2buffagain(m): 5:36am On Nov 02, 2018
I can't speak for most professions but in tech, the best way to show competence is to practice building.
And to read a lot and keep up to date with a lot of things.

There is no way someone can help you do these things.
You have to show me you have the discipline enough to study by yourself, and reach out when you have intelligent questions to ask.
Re: Op-ed Opinion: The Problem With Nigerians And Success ( Photo ) by BiafraIShere(m): 5:48am On Nov 02, 2018
Another word for it is called crab mentality, and it's common with not just Nigerians but most blacks. That is the reason why politicians will steal monies meant to be used in developing the country without conscience and many wouldn't want to help others because they don't want competition in their supposed destiny, it's a terrible situation!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Op-ed Opinion: The Problem With Nigerians And Success ( Photo ) by helinues: 7:34am On Nov 02, 2018
@ op you are right but at the same time , we Nigerians too like feeling of entitlement . We are not considerate at all. If you turned down someone you have helped several times once, you are an enemy.

I live abroad and I must say I am also guilty of it though not regretting it. Associating with Nigerians abroad is like associating with an ebola.

Recently, there were clampdown on foreigners most especially Nigerians here. Hadn't been I have been associating, I wouldn't be able to go out and do things freely. Some guys spent almost 2 hours without stepping outside. You know why? They are the type of Nigerians that spoilt our image abroad.

Not until we start behaving maturely outside Nigerians, nobody will ever take us serious.

1 Like

Re: Op-ed Opinion: The Problem With Nigerians And Success ( Photo ) by CodeTemplar: 7:50am On Nov 02, 2018
Those on top are split into two.
The ones that won't associate with those behind because they know what Nigerians are capable of and the ones who just plain wicked and insensitive. These latter is more likely spiritually inclined.
Re: Op-ed Opinion: The Problem With Nigerians And Success ( Photo ) by CodeTemplar: 8:06am On Nov 02, 2018
2buffagain:
A lot of Nigerians have been burned sticking their neck out for fellow Nigerians.
Imagine recommending your fellow Nigerian for a job and when he enters, he starts doing "sharp guy things" in the job to perpetuate the stereotypes held about Nigerians.

I only recommend people for work when I know they have the competence and Discipline to handle it....not just because we come from the same country. Assuming the Nigerian had an acceptable level of competence that was even slightly lower than the competition, I will def pick the Nigerian because he meets the requirement to do the job. A lot of us want to help, but you have to give us something to work with.

I can hang out with anyone, but I cannot work with just anyone. 2 very different things.

Advice on ways to improve is always free though....if the fellow is actually interested in improving.
You are talking bros...
Nigerians are devilish.
I once worked in a place and the people I met there colluded against me from the day I entered. They wouldn't give me passwords to sensitive server or even allow me touch the things I can do well for the fear of me looking competent. Above all the are into office clique and occult practices.
Nigerians can hardly be trusted.

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Declares State Of Emergency On Water, Sanitation / Shameless Wailer Who Is Taunting The Trader Money By Osinbajo Exposed On Twitter / Shettima Replies Jonathan, Dares Him To Publish Chibok Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.