Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,502 members, 7,781,529 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:19 PM

500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. - Agriculture (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. (275033 Views)

Akwa Ibom Government Boosts Cocoa Farming With 500,000 Seedlings / 200 Graduates Get N74m, Free Land In Ogun / Irrigation For One Plot Of Land on Low Budget? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (127) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by OluchiDelly: 8:25pm On May 30, 2019
Yampotatocarrot:

Does murano fall under the "dark green category"?
Yes if u stake. If unstaked, there would be white patches on d sides where d fruits rest on d ground.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by OluchiDelly: 8:45pm On May 30, 2019
Prime225:
please farmers does anyone have the contact of an east west seed distributor?
Search for hybridveggies using NL search engine
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Prime225: 2:53am On Jun 01, 2019
@Mr okoroemeka. is it really important to prune cucumbers? does it affect there yield, does pruned cucumber yield more?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Prime225: 2:57am On Jun 01, 2019
OluchiDelly:
Search for hybridveggies using NL search engine
thank you
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Idemujoseph: 7:41am On Jun 01, 2019
Please what is responsible for this? I notice some of my cukes are coming out from the ground like this

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Nobody: 8:52am On Jun 01, 2019
Idemujoseph:
Please what is responsible for this? I notice some of my cukes are coming out from the ground like this

Lord! Have mercy! grin

Is it a seed? Coming out of the ground? Or dropping from the vines? Bro, you cracked me so hard with the phrase. grin

Anyway, that is not a cucumber yet, it is still a flower. What you are experiencing is flower abortion. Kinda interesting people face these challenges everytime, but there are solutions which are usually set up issues, and almost too late when farmers bring them up. All up-coming farmers asking if pruning is essential or not, you gat your answers now .

If you only prune, diseases will spread faster if already on your farm.

If you do not prune, leaves will be so much and disease spread faster too. It is why I wrote somewhere (not sure if here or on my thread) that you must give enough spacing during rainy season. I do not compromise 50cm emitter though I have enough 30cm and 40cm too.

If you do not prune, loads will be too much on your vines especially if you use high yield cultivars, or those that produce many female flowers. OP is making a trial, but from my investigation if he avoid cross pollination, earlier female flower production does not mean high yield . Lol. Go to old thread and you read the gimmicks sellers of Murano from Agritropic used. Ohm..it's 35 days bla bla bla. Many times, experienced farmers intentional delay harvest time. This is the real reason. Who does not want to go to market fast? lol. I can tell you many cultivars which are 55 days or 60 days (from north America) that if you use, you will be shocked with the success rate.

I faced this problem at my initial cucumber farming time, and I found a solution for myself:
1. Pruning well in accordance with the flowering pattern of the cultivar (I have written so much about this). If I don't want to prune, there are cultivars for that, and the style of farming is different.
2. Using special i)micro-nutrients, ii)Natural Amino Acid (not synthetic), and iii)Natural enzymes specifically chosen in accordance to the flowering pattern of the cultivar .

It is just getting started bro. More droppings (this is worse than the flowers drying up in my opinion) will occur. Rain is the main reason for your. That is sudden change of weather, and your plants are not fortified to bear the change. Your yield will be low if you do not take action fast.

Best of luck.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by FMCASH(m): 11:23am On Jun 01, 2019
I will never compromise pruning in cucumber farming if I'm not farming more then 1000 plants. First pruning, 3wks+ second pruning 5wks. Growth point are more easier cut off during early stage with your finger. It enhance air flow very well. Never joke with magnesium supplement too. With this no need of pruning leaves because you have low occurrences of yellow leaves.

Note: this applicable to predominantly female flower

Happy farming!!!
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jun 01, 2019
Interesting
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Prime225: 12:43pm On Jun 01, 2019
@ Pistotita, your response to my question I will say is neither here nor there so can you make it straight?
if pruning is the best practice but encourage the spread of diseases can you tell how it can be done without having an outbreak?
I also think the pruning methods for mo and pf cucumbers are not the same,
please a detailed response will help.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 12:50pm On Jun 01, 2019
Idemujoseph:
I think the main reason for that weak seedling is that you planted it too deep in the soil and recent heavy rains don't help newly planted seeds as it will pack more layers of soil on top of it and compact it very well.it has expended lot of energy coming out and it's already weak,the crop must have taken 6+ days to germinate and the growth will be agonizing slow, while all this is happening the biological clock is already ticking.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jun 01, 2019
Prime225:
@ Pistotita, your response to my question I will say is neither here nor there so can you make it straight?
if pruning is the best practice but encourage the spread of diseases can you tell how it can be done without having an outbreak?
I also think the pruning methods for mo and pf cucumbers are not the same,
please a detailed response will help.

Please read it again, and read OP'S previous comments.

1. When you prune, more laterals come out with some varieties, so more work. It is why I tell people to do it small, and do it well. Or get enough help.

2. when you prune, it is like you are opening wounds on the plants which disease can penetrate. YOUR WORKERS will go inside your farm with dirty clothes, dirty hands, even some after smoking enter your farm (read about TMV disease and tobacco, esp for tomatoes). So, the diseases spread like Ebola

3. You must protect your crop with the recommendation I gave you so pruning can be effective, and take sanitation serious (it includes weeding at the right time. Even weeding spread diseases too.

If you want to prune, take Precaution and do it well so you have bountiful harvest. If you do not want to prune, fine, just that your yield cannot be like pruned vined. Simple as ABC. But there are some other cultivars that manufacturers tell you never to prune.

My bro, it comes with experience. All I am saying, Cucumber farmers can relate to all.

Every technique, cultivar, farming style has got its pros and cons. I am just here to give well balanced comment . I can't say pruning is the better option for you. You must decide for yourself. But come to think of it, you are doing a small farm, what makes you not to prune? There are many styles of pruning. Umbrella style, One main stem all through, keeping laterals with node, etc. You just must know what is good for you. And use the right spraying formular. It is why I wrote somewhere that I dont spray NPK on my leaves. Why? There are other nutrients (I use more organic) that plants need. I feed all major nutrients vis root. Your style may be different. I will never condemn it. But I am talking based of many factors I considered.

To prune efficiently, you should use good staking style so you do not waste time staking. Using rope and tying plants one by one is too much of work. And remove weeding by using mulch. So, you can focus on pruning if you choose to do it..
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Youngext: 3:38pm On Jun 01, 2019
okoroemeka:
I am not saying that we have gotten that target before,but I believe we can get that yield with good agricultural practice,chia Thai is claiming that their variety will give 10-15 fruits,but we only need 8 fruits per plant to get 100 bags,current price now is #4,000 and rain is still falling,during December when the crops will come out u can imagine what it will be,NB we sell around okigwe,ekwulobia,awka,umunze and Onitsha axis.

Op, are you in anambra? If yes,
I am also in anambra
Can I have your contact details?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 5:51pm On Jun 01, 2019
Youngext:

Op, are you in anambra? If yes,
I am also in anambra
Can I have your contact details?
we are in Imo state,but close to the anambra border,08119942049 WhatsApp
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Bond27: 7:43pm On Jun 01, 2019
Bros. thanks for your wonderful and eye opening information. pls where can one source the Garden Egg seedlings for planting. I want to try it. i am really thankful.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by NLEFCC(m): 7:50pm On Jun 01, 2019
Am not sure if they are rounding off their lifespan ...or if they are having a fungal attack.
I have not used any Fungicide on the farm before.

They are now 2 months and 6 days...been Harvesting since 3 weeks.

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 8:20pm On Jun 01, 2019
Bond27:
Bros. thanks for your wonderful and eye opening information. pls where can one source the Garden Egg seedlings for planting. I want to try it. i am really thankful.
we have it cotact us at the WhatsApp no above.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 8:28pm On Jun 01, 2019
NLEFCC:
Am not sure if they are rounding off their lifespan ...or if they are having a fungal attack.
I have not used any Fungicide on the farm before.

They are now 2 months and 6 days...been Harvesting since 3 weeks.
for you to harvest that site for 3 weeks, means it has been harvested roughly 6 times without any spray,the soil is definitely fertile,as it's very obvious that you have a very poor agricultural management practice in place and despite that the crops tried,with good GAP you will surely harvest 10+ times I am sure of that,the farm is infected with Downy mildrew,don't even waste money on trying to salvage it,just leave it and and plan for a new farm to develop ,that you will manage better,and what's that variety??this is rainy season and your location is DM prone so resistant varieties are the first defense in the battle.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 8:48pm On Jun 01, 2019
Prime225:
@Mr okoroemeka. is it really important to prune cucumbers? does it affect there yield, does pruned cucumber yield more?
from my own test and experience,if you prune cucumbers u will get 30% less yield but the fruits will be of international quality and standard, because all the lateral shots that will produce substandard fruits has been removed and fruits will only form on the main stem,but if you don't prune cukes you will get a higher yield of assorted mumble and jumble fruits,we have tried it and decided to go with higher yield and mumble/jumble fruits,the customers are not complaining,and lastly try to prune 2000 cucumbers after 4-5 days you will run away,or less you will have one staff just for pruning .
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by johnnyblaze424: 9:42pm On Jun 01, 2019
okoroemeka:
from my own test and experience,if you prune cucumbers u will get 30% less yield but the fruits will be of international quality and standard, because all the lateral shots that will produce substandard fruits has been removed and fruits will only form on the main stem,but if you don't prune cukes you will get a higher yield of assorted mumble and jumble fruits,we have tried it and decided to go with higher yield and mumble/jumble fruits,the customers are not complaining,and lastly try to prune 2000 cucumbers after 4-5 days you will run away,or less you will have one staff just for pruning .

pls what's to be done when the cucumber plants have outgrown the stake/trellises.

N.B...the trellis are about 6ft tall
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by NLEFCC(m): 10:46pm On Jun 01, 2019
okoroemeka:
for you to harvest that site for 3 weeks, means it has been harvested roughly 6 times without any spray,the soil is definitely fertile,as it's very obvious that you have a very poor agricultural management practice in place and despite that the crops tried,with good GAP you will surely harvest 10+ times I am sure of that,the farm is infected with Downy mildrew,don't even waste money on trying to salvage it,just leave it and and plan for a new farm to develop ,that you will manage better,and what's that variety??this is rainy season and your location is DM prone so resistant varieties are the first defense in the battle.

Thank you very much for your response. This variety is Murano 2 F1. It's my first shot at Cucumber Farming. Hopefully I will get it better next time.

Please how early can I start applying fertilizer and Fungicide for my new farm?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 10:53pm On Jun 01, 2019
NLEFCC:

Thank you very much for your response. This variety is Murano 2 F1. It's my first shot at Cucumber Farming. Hopefully I will get it better next time.

Please how early can I start applying fertilizer and Fungicide for my new farm?
if you read the thread carefully you will know more about cucumber fertilization,get ridomil gold copper or Cabrio and start using weekly from 2 weeks old

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 10:58pm On Jun 01, 2019
johnnyblaze424:

pls what's to be done when the cucumber plants have outgrown the stake/trellises.

N.B...the trellis are about 6ft tall
even if your trellis is 15 feet cucumber plant will reach there,just bend the vine to follow the cross pole, and don't even think of cutting the growing tip or stem,you are asking for trouble,just leave the bloody thing alone.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by tunene66: 2:16pm On Jun 04, 2019
agbajesaid:
i know sir. working on Staking parts, only that it will take a longer time.

Good work brother. Keep us posted.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 12:26pm On Jun 05, 2019
Another site prepared and manure applied,we will use cu 999 only,the rainy season is much and Downy mildrew is not smiling,we are not experimenting with any unproven variety,moreover we wanted to plant mydas F1 alongside to see the performance,then we saw the cost #7,500 naira for 200 seeds +waybill,my brother,na wa ooo!

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jun 05, 2019
okoroemeka:
Another site prepared and manure applied,we will use cu 999 only,the rainy season is much and Downy mildrew is not smiling,we are not experimenting with any unproven variety,moreover we wanted to plant mydas F1 alongside to see the performance,then we saw the cost #7,500 naira for 200 seeds +waybill,my brother,na wa ooo!

Their belt alpha is around N6 000 for 100 seeds. Who will ever buy that. There is another one selling Enza beit alpha at N85,000 for 1,000 seeds. Me, buy that? God forbids. Will rather go take import permit and move my choice of seeds or seedling in legally. I will rather buy 10Kg and share among farmers later at a cheap cost than dash one seed company selling 100 seeds at N8,500. Lol. A don dey plant parthenorcarpic before they all dreamt of selling it in Nigeria. Too crazily expensive. Bro....would move in better varieties at cheaper price. Wetin dem dey sell? Just making lives hard for us all.

If it is the plot you have Monalisa and Cu999 as experiment, I have told you to forget it. You are just wasting your time with Monalisa in rainy season. If it is only monalisa you planted, it will be worse. I am telling you. Na from experience a dey tell you bro. No need for me to post pics to prove anything to anyone. I want everyone to succeed. But it is good that you are confirming my prophesy. No matter how the rain is, CU999 rocks. Cu999 can never collapse even during rainy season. It is even now thst they get big cos of enough water. And they are dam.n sweet at this period.

Also, you posted that you maintain your soil with manure and cultivate cucumber consistently, it may be another reward of not following crop rotation. The diseases got a good boost now. lol.Again, if you don't follow the rule of proper demarcation of plots on vegetable farm, you are playing with Tsunami spread of diseases. Lol. There are basic techniques no one told me, but with experience, I started seeing them. And then, when you Google later you, someone has written about it. lol.

Also, I read you keep using Rodimil Gold anyhow. Bro, I am not criticizing you, but research Matalyxl or Matafenoram (i hope I got the spelling right), return and let me know your research. Diseases build resistance to them easily. They work, but you don't use them like you use them. Wrong wrong wrong approach. I hope you take these corrections in good faith. Cos I have been corrected too, I still put myself under correction. And I always win like this.

Finally never try to plant Mydas with another variery. Never, never, never. You wanna put it with another, Mydas must be in a greenhouse or net house. Pollination with another variety must never occur, else, you have destroyed the plant system. It applies to all pathenocarpic. Even never put two pathenocarpic together. Never and never, except inside a nethouse or greenhouse where cross pollination can not occur. It is not like the Mona Lisa and CU999 you are doing. I repeat, never ever put anyhing else with a particular cultivar of pathenocarpic. Never! They are all lone rangers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 4:58pm On Jun 05, 2019
Well you have a point about pureline parthos,cross pollination with other cukes varieties can cause bitterness,but we are not interested before in the taste,what we wanted to find out is yield,but we later thought deeply about the issue,the non cross pollination factor ,the cost and also the rainy season problems made us change our mind,also about our monalisa/cu999 test,it's time will tell,we will use our own GAP and see how far it can resist DM,we don't have the luxury of huge tracts of land in the south east for planting any new batch far away from an existing farm,we have to put on our thinking caps and go inside the minds of bacteria,fungicides,virus to know how they move,we found out many things,which one is never to enter farm and touch crops until all leafs are dry,it's not all about spraying fungicides up and down,simple removal/disposal of infected leafs also helps to slow or even stop the spread of foliar diseases.lastly we can't afford ridomil gold,it's too costly,why will I buy ridomil 250 grams for #2500/3000, while I can get saaf 250grams for #1,000,we use fungicides responsibly,but what you will know is that in Nigeria there are no rules and no referee,it's free for all, do u seriously expect poultry farmers to throw away eggs that their layers lay when giving then antibiotics,NO!but on the packets of these drugs it's clearly written,the withdrawal period for eggs,milk and meat production.i have a feeling that the mydas will simply crumble under DM attack and cause colleteral damage to our cu999,so we are playing it safe,no need playing monkey post with hand grenade!!!
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jun 05, 2019
okoroemeka:
Well you have a point about pureline parthos,cross pollination with other cukes varieties can cause bitterness,but we are not interested before in the taste,what we wanted to find out is yield,but we later thought deeply about the issue,the non cross pollination factor ,the cost and also the rainy season problems made us change our mind,also about our monalisa/cu999 test,it's time will tell,we will use our own GAP and see how far it can resist DM,we don't have the luxury of huge tracts of land in the south east for planting any new batch far away from an existing farm,we have to put on our thinking caps and go inside the minds of bacteria,fungicides,virus to know how they move,we found out many things,which one is never to enter farm and touch crops until all leafs are dry,it's not all about spraying fungicides up and down,simple removal/disposal of infected leafs also helps to slow or even stop the spread of foliar diseases.lastly we can't afford ridomil gold,it's too costly,why will I buy ridomil 250 grams for #2500/3000, while I can get saaf 250grams for #1,000,we use fungicides responsibly,but what you will know is that in Nigeria there are no rules and no referee,it's free for all, do u seriously expect poultry farmers to throw away eggs that their layers lay when giving then antibiotics,NO!but on the packets of these drugs it's clearly written,the withdrawal period for eggs,milk and meat production.i have a feeling that the mydas will simply crumble under DM attack and cause colleteral damage to our cu999,so we are playing it safe,no need playing monkey post with hand grenade!!!

My last words for you again is never try it. not about taste only. Yield will be reduced drastically too. It is just a no. Period!

But if you say you wanna go ahead, all I will say is goodluck.

Again, follow crop rotation rule. By the time those pests and diseases stay permanently on your farm, it will be too late. Downy mildew is a spore, but if you allow your soil get high population cos of doing only cucumber, you will not like it. Even you put tomato, it will crush it later. you will abandon that place or do something mildew cannot affect.

This is all from me. No more words again.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 9:21pm On Jun 05, 2019
Pistotita:

My last words for you again is never try it. not about taste only. Yield will be reduced drastically too. It is just a no. Period!

But if you say you wanna go ahead, all I will say is goodluck.

Again, follow crop rotation rule. By the time those pests and diseases stay permanently on your farm, it will be too late. Downy mildew is a spore, but if you allow your soil get high population cos of doing only cucumber, you will not like it. Even you put tomato, it will crush it later. you will abandon that place or do something mildew cannot affect.

This is all from me. No more words again.
we have planted cucumbers in that same land 3 times a year for five years now and this batch we have seems to have the best performance of them all,we use more of organic manure because of close proximity to piggery farm and a big poultry farm nearby,we also treat nematodes before any batch and fumigate the soil properly,after this cucumbers crop will die off,the peppers that will replace them on the land is already waiting in the nursery.as you can see my veggies friends there is still no rest in sight for that land.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Chinatown1759: 10:14pm On Jun 07, 2019
Op can I call u
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 3:46am On Jun 08, 2019
Chinatown1759:
Op can I call u
you don't need my permission to call,you are free

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by OluchiDelly: 6:35am On Jun 08, 2019
okoroemeka:

seems there are 2 rows of the manure holes per ridge? are u sowing directly inside those those black spots(manure) or u are still going to mix them with soil?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by tpben: 2:59pm On Jun 08, 2019
@ boss Okoroemeka. What's the active ingredients of the saaf fungicide you do buy 1k for 250g?

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (127) (Reply)

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / ... / Xmas Broiler Broading In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.