Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,121 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:28 AM

Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' (1705 Views)

Senegal Says Its Troops Will Join Any ECOWAS Intervention In Niger / Faces Of 39 Migrants Who Froze To Death In Refrigerated Truck In U.k(Pics) / 39 Frozen Bodies Found In Refrigerated Trailer In U.K Were Chinese Migrants(Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by shukuokukobambi: 11:39am On Nov 02, 2018
“They want to throw rocks at our military, our military fights back,” Trump said. “I say, consider it a rifle.”

President Trump said Thursday that he hopes the military troops being deployed to the United States’ southwestern border will not have to fire upon any migrants attempting to enter the country through Mexico, but warned that if any rocks are thrown from across the border “we will consider that a firearm.”

“They want to throw rocks at our military, our military fights back,” Trump said. “I say, consider it a rifle.”

White House sources had told reporters that Trump would announce a new immigration policy aimed at restricting entry for asylum seekers at the southwest border in an address from the White House Thursday afternoon. But the president outlined no concrete policy changes, instead referring vaguely to plans for the construction of “massive cities of tents” to house migrants with pending asylum claims “for a long time if necessary.”

He pledged to end the “catch and release” practice of paroling refugees with credible asylum claims into the population. “We’re gonna catch, we’re not gonna release,” he said, claiming that just “3 percent” of asylum seekers return for court hearings on their claims. The actual number, according to Justice Department figures, is between 60 and 75 percent.

He said he planned to issue an executive order on the subject, but didn’t say what it would consist of.

For the most part, Trump simply amplified many of the same unsubstantiated claims that he’s been airing at rallies and on Twitter over the past two weeks about a caravan of mostly Honduran migrants slowly making its way through Mexico.

“It’s like an invasion,” Trump said, describing the thousands of migrants who, as of earlier this week, were still at least 1,000 miles away from the nearest U.S. point of entry, as a violent and imminent threat to the country.

“These are pretty tough people, and I don’t want them in our country. Women don’t want them in our country,” he said. “Women want security.”

Trump began focusing his attention on the so-called caravan last month, when a large group of migrants first departed the Honduran city of San Pedro de Sula, growing to more than 7,000 as it traveled through Guatemala and into Mexico. That first group, whose numbers have since diminished to approximately 4,000, reached the Oaxacan city of Juchitán this week, as a second, smaller caravan crossed into Mexico about 250 miles behind.

While Mexican authorities were ultimately able to impose order on what was initially a chaotic and aggressive entry by members of the first caravan nearly 12 days ago, migrants from the second group reportedly threw rocks and used sticks in a more violent confrontation with Mexican police, as they crossed the Suchiate River from Guatemala this week.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-stoking-caravan-fears-says-troops-will-fire-migrants-throw-rocks-003953495.html
Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by shukuokukobambi: 11:41am On Nov 02, 2018
Continued

“They’re throwing rocks viciously and violently,” Trump said, declaring, “This isn’t an innocent group of people, large number of people who are tough.”

Although he insisted “there’s nothing political” about his policy, Trump appeared to be talking directly to voters as he warned that the “Democratic Party’s vision is to offer [these migrants] free welfare, free health care, and even the right to vote.”

“Hard-working taxpayers will be asked to pick up the tab,” he said.

According to the Washington Post, Trump had initially planned to unveil a new immigration policy Tuesday, but postponed the announcement in the wake of the Pittsburgh synagogue massacre.

On Twitter Wednesday, Trump repeated unsubstantiated claims about those traveling in the migrant caravans coming from Honduras and El Salvador.

“We will NOT let these Caravans which are made up of some very bad thugs and gang members, into the U.S.,” he tweeted. “Our Border is sacred, must come legally. TURN AROUND.”

In fact, in order to seek asylum in the United States, an individual must first be physically present in the country. Under current law, migrants can legally pursue asylum at the border either by presenting themselves to border officials at one of the 48 official ports of entry between San Diego and Brownsville, Texas, or else by turning themselves in once they cross the border. Experts have warned that efforts to block these legal paths to entry, which are now used by the majority of Central American migrants, will not reduce the number of asylum seekers but will drive more of them to pay for the services of smugglers and put themselves in danger to cross the border without getting caught.

Trump’s remarks Thursday, just five days before next week’s midterm elections, appear to be part of an effort to encourage his supporters to turn out by stoking fears of an “invasion.”

Earlier this week, the president suggested he would move to end birthright citizenship with an executive order, falsely claiming that it is not covered by the Constitution and vowing the issue will ultimately be settled by the Supreme Court. Most legal experts scoffed at the idea, saying the 14th Amendment, which guarantees citizenship to anyone born in the United States, is settled law.

On Monday, the Trump administration announced a plan to deploy 5,200 troops to the southern border to deter the estimated 3,500 asylum seekers in the Central American migrant caravan slowly making its way north through Mexico.

As he departed for a campaign rally in Florida Wednesday, Trump told reporters that he might send up to 15,000 troops to the border. If he does, the number of troops there would outnumber American forces in Afghanistan.

“We have to have a wall of people,” Trump told ABC News on Wednesday night. “They can’t invade our country. You look at that [caravan] … it almost looks like an invasion. It’s almost does look like an invasion. … We can’t have it.”

And on Thursday morning, a video posted last night to the president’s Twitter feed compared the asylum seekers in the migrant caravan to a Mexican man who admitted killing two cops in California — a move that recalled the race-baiting “Willie Horton” ad attacking Michael Dukakis in support of George H.W. Bush in 1988.

The president’s remarks about the use of lethal force conjured up the possibility of American soldiers firing on unarmed civilians. But a spokesman for the military’s Northern Command, which has responsibility for protecting the American homeland, told Yahoo News that the troops involved in this operation are authorized the use of deadly force “only for defense purposes — we’re talking about an extreme situation.”

The military spokesman said only those troops that are involved in protecting assets like helicopters will even be armed. He stressed that they are there to free up border patrol agents by doing logistical and administrative work while the agents protect the border.
Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by bedspread: 11:51am On Nov 02, 2018
Migration is Not by Force!!

Trump Never said they will be fired!

The Migrants submerged the Mexico soilders and passed through! Trump said the Same will not happen in the USA.

15000 soldiers have been deployed to Ensure the Migrants do not Come me in dt way!!

The World Today is in Turmoil! If you don't defend your borders , it's Inviting Calamity and Castartrophe!

2 Likes

Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by FriendNG: 12:08pm On Nov 02, 2018
He actually said they will consider stones as riffles, as fire arms. You can watch the video on instablog.
Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by shukuokukobambi: 12:10pm On Nov 02, 2018
bedspread:
Migration is Not by Force!!

Trump Never said they will be fired!

The Migrants submerged the Mexico soilders and passed through! Trump said the Same will not happen in the USA.

15000 soldiers have been deployed to Ensure the Migrants do not Come me in dt way!!

The World Today is in Turmoil! If you don't defend your borders , it's Inviting Calamity and Castartrophe!

I hope you can see the parts where Trump was quoted verbatim? which I also put in bold for you?

Asked if he envisions US troops firing on anyone in the groups of migrants, Trump told reporters at the White House: "I hope not. I hope not -- but it's the military."
Related Article: Trump shocks with racist new ad days before midterms

"I hope there won't be that," Trump said, but added that anybody throwing rocks or stones at the military service members will be considered to be using a firearm, "because there's not much difference when you get hit in the face with a rock."

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2018/11/01/politics/trump-immigration-speech-asylum/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fedition.cnn.com%2F

I watched it myself yesterday when
"The lead with Jake Tapper" was interrupted to bring Trump's speech live between 9pm and 9.45pm yesterday
Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by shukuokukobambi: 12:13pm On Nov 02, 2018
FriendNG:
He actually said they will consider stones as riffles, as fire arms. You can watch the video on instablog.

Exactly. I watched it live myself
Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by dokie: 12:14pm On Nov 02, 2018
What does this have to do with us in Nigeria? Or is someone trying to equate border control with protesting Shiite members and the justification for the military shooting at them?

3 Likes

Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by 9jvirgin(m): 12:14pm On Nov 02, 2018
If that happens, that will be his end.
Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by bedspread: 12:15pm On Nov 02, 2018
shukuokukobambi:

I hope you can see the parts where Trump was quoted verbatim? which I also put in bold for you?

Asked if he envisions US troops firing on anyone in the groups of migrants, Trump told reporters at the White House: "I hope not. I hope not -- but it's the military."
Related Article: Trump shocks with racist new ad days before midterms

"I hope there won't be that," Trump said, but added that anybody throwing rocks or stones at the military service members will be considered to be using a firearm, "because there's not much difference when you get hit in the face with a rock."

I watched it myself yesterday when t
"The lead with Jake Tapper" was interrupted to bring Trump's speech live between 9pm and 9.45pm yesterday

There is nothing Racist about that!!
Those Nations have been constantly given money to put themselves in order!

There is nothing Racist about shielding your citizens and Country! Is it until another Osama strikes dt u will protect your own!
There are legal ways to go into a country! If you are not allowed you step off!!

After all Charity Begins at home!

1 Like

Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by shukuokukobambi: 12:18pm On Nov 02, 2018
dokie:
What does this have to do with us in Nigeria? Or is someone trying to equate border control with protesting Shiite members and the justification for the military shooting at them?

I assume your Trump must be a devilish dictator who will order bullets on helpless asylum seekers or that's too big for you to admit?

1 Like

Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by tochukwuifediba: 12:19pm On Nov 02, 2018
grin God Bless Okechukwu Donald Trump
Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by Blackfire(m): 12:22pm On Nov 02, 2018
Where is America?
Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by shukuokukobambi: 12:23pm On Nov 02, 2018
bedspread:
There is nothing Racist about that!!
Those Nations have been constantly given money to put themselves in order!

There is nothing Racist about shielding your citizens and Country! Is it until another Osama strikes dt u will protect your own!
There are legal ways to go into a country! If you are not allowed you step off!!

After all Charity Begins at home!

Trump can fire on helpless, poor, hungry and poor American immigrants but can't sanction his Sunni friends in the Saudi palace for the murder and disembowelment of Jamal Kashoggi?

So you also have no problem with Nigerians seeking asylum in Italy, Germany and the rest of Europe if they're to be shot for being asylum seekers?

3 Likes

Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by unohbethel(m): 12:23pm On Nov 02, 2018
dokie:
zombies can find anything to support their claims.

Wonder why dey are called zombies
Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by shukuokukobambi: 12:29pm On Nov 02, 2018
unohbethel:
zombies can find anything to support their claims.

Wonder why dey are called zombies

You're worse than a zombie.

Biafra today, atikulooter tomorrow, kanu urine licker next, Trump worshiper right after that. No ability to think for yourself on what you want exactly.

What do want exactly?

1 Like

Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by LadyExcellency: 12:30pm On Nov 02, 2018
shukuokukobambi:

I assume your Trump must be a devilish dictator who will order bullets on helpless asylum seekers or that's too big for you to admit?

These people are not asylum seekers rather economic migrants.

Mexico offered them welfare, schooling, training, healthcare and more which they blatantly refused.

You can claim to be running from oppressive regime and yet flying the flag of the same country while heading to a less loved/friendly country.

This is pure invasion.
Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by unohbethel(m): 12:31pm On Nov 02, 2018
shukuokukobambi:

u are not even ashamed of ur self..

Soldiers are trained for outside aggressions not to kill their own citizens they are sworn to protect,, which is the case here...civil cases are handled by the police unless its more than they can contain, then the army steps in...

With this ur statement, ur supporting the NA. In their killings of protesters..

1 Like

Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by shukuokukobambi: 12:34pm On Nov 02, 2018
LadyExcellency:

These people are not asylum seekers rather economic migrants.

Mexico offered them welfare, schooling, training, healthcare and more which they blatantly refused.

You can claim to be running from oppressive regime and yet flying the flag of the same country while heading to a less loved/friendly country.

This is pure invasion.

And that warrants being shot at by American soldiers as Trump promised?

2 Likes

Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by shukuokukobambi: 12:36pm On Nov 02, 2018
unohbethel:
u are not even ashamed of ur self..

Soldiers are trained for outside aggressions not to kill their own citizens they are sworn to protect,, which is the case here...civil cases are handled by the police unless its more than they can contain, then the army steps in...

With this ur statement, ur supporting the NA. In their killings of protesters..

Your dullness is horrible yet you wear it like a badge of honor.

Why then has Germany being paying reparations for Jews since 1945?

Why are American soldiers courrtmartialed for killing afghans and Iraqs which is even during a war?

If you see nothing wrong in Trump's speech, then you're indirectly supporting the crackdown on Shiites and ipob

1 Like

Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by unohbethel(m): 12:36pm On Nov 02, 2018
shukuokukobambi:

You're worse than a zombie.

Biafra today, atikulooter tomorrow, kanu urine licker next, Trump worshiper right after that. No ability to think for yourself on what you want exactly.

What do want exactly?
see this hypocritical nincompoop calling another zombie...

Maybe ur suffering from selective amnesia wen Ipob said that they won't participate in any zoo election...

Like i keep sayin yorubas are the most confused tribe,, i tot u peeps are for rationalism and restructuring, Wat happened?
Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by bedspread: 12:37pm On Nov 02, 2018
shukuokukobambi:

Trump can fire on helpless, poor, hungry and poor American immigrants but can't sanction his Sunni friends in the Saudi palace for the murder and disembowelment of Jamal Kashoggi?

So you also have no problem with Nigerians seeking asylum in Italy, Germany and the rest of Europe if they're to be shot for being asylum seekers?
you are pointless! Is Nigeria in war that you are seeking Asylum?

There is a Legal way to seek Asylum? You don't just walk into a country?
Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by LadyExcellency: 12:41pm On Nov 02, 2018
shukuokukobambi:

And that warrants being shot at by American soldiers as Trump promised?

I thought you understood your initial comment. To refresh your memory, Trumps statements are "conditional statement" "IF"

The simple truth is that nothing will happen "if" the supposed asylum seekers control themselves at the borders. They overpowered Mexican military by use of force which Trump is warning that US Soldiers wouldn't tolerate such bastardly act.

Simple logic.
Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by shukuokukobambi: 12:43pm On Nov 02, 2018
bedspread:
you are pointless! Is Nigeria in war that you are seeking Asylum?

There is a Legal way to seek Asylum? You don't just walk into a country?

All what you said are nonsense. How do they justify Trump saying his soldiers will return bullets if they get stones from asylum seekers?
Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by shukuokukobambi: 12:45pm On Nov 02, 2018
LadyExcellency:

I thought you understood your initial comment. To refresh your memory, Trumps statements are "conditional statement" "IF"

The simple truth is that nothing will happen "if" the supposed asylum seekers control themselves at the borders. They overpowered Mexican military by use of force which Trump is warning that US Soldiers wouldn't tolerate such bastardly act.

Simple logic.

You're being clever by half here.

The Nigerian army claim they were pelted with petrol bumbs, stones etc by the Shiites hence returning fire.

Now Trump, the leader of the Free world, says his soldiers will return bullets if they're pelted with rocks by migrants. Are you justifying him? Do you see nothing wrong with him saying he'll kill civilians as you've been screaming the Nigerian army did?

3 Likes

Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by shukuokukobambi: 12:48pm On Nov 02, 2018
unohbethel:
see this hypocritical nincompoop calling another zombie...

Maybe ur suffering from selective amnesia wen Ipob said that they won't participate in any zoo election...

Like i keep sayin yorubas are the most confused tribe,, i tot u peeps are for rationalism and restructuring, Wat happened?

I know you're feigning extreme stupidity so as to divert away from the discussion but I refuse to think you're that bad.

The matter is that Trump wants to shoot at unarmed civilians, why are you afraid to condemn him? Is it because he's behaving like you claim Buhari is?

1 Like

Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by bedspread: 12:48pm On Nov 02, 2018
shukuokukobambi:

All what you said are nonsense. How do they justify Trump saying his soldiers will return bullets if they get stones from asylum seekers?
My brother!! Every Nation has its Borders!
It's a Duty to Protect your Borders!

President Trump has Brought Joy to all in the States both to friends and Enemies..

After all if the USA Economy wasn't good, no one will come in!!

Go the the Right Channels! There is nothing Racist about it!

I have been rejected US visa before and it does not make me speak against them!

President Trump is doing an Awesome Job !The US Economy has not had it these good in Decades...

When you see a good job , you say it!!

CNN is feeding u with hate news and junks!!
Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by OkutaNla: 12:53pm On Nov 02, 2018
shukuokukobambi:

The Nigerian army claim they were pelted with petrol bumbs, stones etc by the Shiites hence returning fire.

Now Trump, the leader of the Free world, says his soldiers will return bullets if they're pelted with rocks by migrants. Are you justifying him? Do you see nothing wrong with him saying he'll kill civilians as you've been screaming the Nigerian army did?

Please stop wasting your time trying to reason with those hypocrites. That's classic ipob logic on display and in full glare. If they were to be alive in the days of Adolf Hilter, they would've defended him just as they're doing DT.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by LadyExcellency: 12:54pm On Nov 02, 2018
shukuokukobambi:

Please, stop comparing homeland security with foreign invasion.

The citizens pay the soldiers salaries and cater for their welfare. The citizens got every right to protest and in no way can the citizens invade their own country - the difference is too wide for comparison.
Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by shukuokukobambi: 12:56pm On Nov 02, 2018
bedspread:
My brother!! Every Nation has its Borders!
It's a Duty to Protect your Borders!

President Trump has Brought Joy to all in the States both to friends and Enemies..

After all if the USA Economy wasn't good, no one will come in!!

Go the the Right Channels! There is nothing Racist about it!

I have been rejected US visa before and it does not make me speak against them!

President Trump is doing an Awesome Job !The US Economy has not had it these good in Decades...

When you see a good job , you say it!!

Did you just learn the word 'racist'? Why this fixation on the word when my thread has nothing to do with it?

What exactly is your problem? Even in Iraq that is still war, it's a crime to shoot at civilians so why are you afraid to call Trump out?

Iis it acceptable to shoot civilian migrants? Do you see nothing wrong with it?

CNN is feeding u with hate news and junks!!

You should be more sensible than parroting what you hear some white Americans say. I quoted what Trump said in his televised speech which is the same thing those watching Fox news or other right wing channels saw. Abeg stop parroting that junk you hear

1 Like

Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by unohbethel(m): 12:57pm On Nov 02, 2018
shukuokukobambi:

I know you're feigning extreme stupidity so as to divert away from the discussion but I refuse to think you're that bad.

The matter is that Trump wants to shoot at unarmed civilians why are you afraid to condemn him? Is it because he's behaving like you claim Buhari is?
chai dis guy issa dullard oo..

Ok now,let me expose u

@ the bolded,, what is the reason Trump is taking that action
Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by shukuokukobambi: 12:58pm On Nov 02, 2018
LadyExcellency:

Please, stop comparing homeland security with foreign invasion.

The citizens pay the soldiers salaries and cater for their welfare. The citizens protest and can't invade their country - the difference is too wide for comparison.

Will the Italian coast guards too be justified if they shoot our Edo and imo brothers and sisters who land on their shores from the Mediterranean? After all it's the same kind of 'invasion' we're seeing here?
Re: Trump: Troops Will Fire On Migrants If They 'throw Rocks' by shukuokukobambi: 1:00pm On Nov 02, 2018
unohbethel:
chai dis guy issa dullard oo..

Ok now,let me expose u

@ the bolded,, what is the reason Trump is taking that action

You're worse than a dullard because that's what I've been saying since.

Trump's army will shoot civilians who are throwing rocks at the border agents.

Nigerian army is shooting civilians throwing rocks and petrol bombs.

Which of them is wrong and which is right?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yoruba In Benin Republic Protest, Call For Independence / Russia Vs Ukraine: Russian Soldiers Being Killed By Ukrainian Soldiers / Soldier Wiped Out ISIS Fighters By Calling Air-strikes On Himself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.