Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,885 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:36 AM

15 Things You Can Do When Stuck In Lagos Traffic - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 15 Things You Can Do When Stuck In Lagos Traffic (23633 Views)

15 Things To Know About The Admiralty Toll Gate, Lekki / 15 Things To Know About The Third-mainland Bridge / 15 Things To Know About The Third-mainland Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 15 Things You Can Do When Stuck In Lagos Traffic by Josh44s(m): 9:22pm On Nov 04, 2018
Elayna:
I feel like the next time am coming to Lagos
I should carry my own road

Include your own LASMA.

1 Like

Re: 15 Things You Can Do When Stuck In Lagos Traffic by sirusX(m): 9:34pm On Nov 04, 2018
leonard002

You forgot to write....snacking your meals (gala and it's partner) as you might get tired when you arrive home
Re: 15 Things You Can Do When Stuck In Lagos Traffic by firestar(f): 9:34pm On Nov 04, 2018
leonard002:
It’s no news that Lagosians spend countless hours in traffic, and some are avoidable if you plan yourself well, others, however you cannot avoid. Some spend up to 5 hours or more in traffic everyday commuting to and from their place of work.
Here are some possible things to do when you’re stuck in traffic, when either you’re driving your own car, or you’re in a commercial vehicle.

1. LISTEN TO AUDIO BOOKS
Audio books are one of the best things that happened to us in recent times in terms of how much we can learn and the flexibility of learning it. You could find good websites that give free audio books, or you could buy the audiobooks from Amazon. There are hundreds of thousands of audiobooks right there filled with knowledge from all fields of life, including your very field waiting to be downloaded. If you visit YouTube, you could find lots of them there too.
The good thing about listening to audio books is that you can do it while driving. Driving is a subconscious activity and imagine how much you could learn in those hours while in commute.

2. READ DIGITAL BOOKS (E-BOOKS)
The world is changing. Hard cover books are great, but they are gradually becoming obsolete. Do you know that a mere 10MB of memory space could give you between 10 to 50 e-books in epub, pdf, txt or mobi formats right there in your smartphone? Digital books are more flexible and easier to read as you can do so with any mobile devices you carry.
So, instead of waiting in traffic doing nothing, you could download e-books of your choice genre and start reading. If you like novels, there are millions of them online to download and read from. There are also a plethora of apps on the play store that give the reading much ease and flexibility. These apps even save your progress, and some of them even utilize the Text To Speech properties on your phone to read the novels or books aloud for you. This is especially useful if you’re on the wheels and hence can’t take your eyes off the road to read e-books.
No need to waste your time in traffic. With all those time, you can read and expand your horizon. Personally, within 3 weeks, I have read a complete 4 e-books and counting. I am expanding my knowledge base, and I think you should too!

3. LISTEN TO MUSIC
We all know that traffic can be exhausting and frustrating, so, don’t make it harder on yourself. Music is known universally to soothe our nerves and make us feel good. If you’re stuck in traffic. Listening to your favourite music can help you relax. You could even in your spare time create a playlist of music you can play in traffic that will relax you and make you happy while you get to your destination.

4. LISTEN TO THE RADIO
Well, every device or car has an F.M Radio, and Lagos has lots of good stations to listen to. So, to get informed, educated and entertained while in traffic, you can listen to your favourite F.M radio stations for good music, news and other interesting programs.

5. READ NAIRALAND
Well, Nairaland, without doubt is a very interesting forum. Loads of information right here if you know where to look. Most of us make the mistake of reading only front page and trending posts. I should tell you that there are dozens of other posts which don’t make it to front page but which are packed with fun, entertaining and interesting facts. What you need to do is to go to the section of your choice and browse, you’ll definitely see interesting stuff to read. Be sure to add discretion to what you read. Forget that a lot of members of the forum are tribalistic and insulting, but lots more are nice, warm and intelligent.
That is what you get in a faceless forum. Just ignore anyone you see that lacks courtesy even if they quote you. Don’t reply their quotes as some of them cannot even talk to you in real life. Of course, reading Nairaland is only possible if you’re in a public transport. Don’t read while driving as you need to pay attention to the road. Expand your knowledge by reading Nairaland articles, like this one grin

6. PRAY
Well, lots of Nigerians are very religious. If you’re stuck in traffic, you could gently bend down and pray. If you’re in your own car, you can pray as you want, but still pay attention to where you’re going. If you’re in a public transport, don’t be a nuisance to others, you can pray gently, in your mind. Prayer has been scientifically proven to give perspective and peace of mind. So, if you’re stuck in traffic, you can pray. Remember to pray for your country too!

7. CALL YOUR FRIENDS AND LOVED ONES
When you’re stuck in traffic, you can use that opportunity to make some calls to your friends and loved ones that you’ve not called for a long time. People appreciate it when you call them, even if it’s for less than a minute. Your friends and loved ones can also make you happy when you talk with them. Make the calls, create new connections and strengthen already existing ones. If you’re in your own vehicle it would be ideal as you won’t be disturbing anyone. Make sure you use loudspeaker though.

8. CHAT WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY
On WhatsApp and other platforms, you can spend some time when stuck in traffic to chat with people you love. Chat with the witty and funny ones who can make you smile and temporarily ease the stress of the traffic. This would be useful if you’re not driving.

9. MAKE NEW FRIENDS
Connections are very important. You never know who’s in that bus with you. They could be the person that gives you the information or assists you to achieve success in life. So if you can, start a conversation with the person sitting close to you. Try and be friendly, nice and warm. You could even meet your life partner in Lagos traffic. Lolz. That would be a great story on its own!

10. ADMIRE THE CITY
You’ve got to admit, Lagos is a very beautiful city. Well, some parts of it anyway. If you’re working in the Island and living in the mainland, you could take some time to admire all the fine skyscrapers and other stunning structures around you. Admire the exquisite cars that people are driving around you. Admire the gorgeous and beautiful dudes and ladies around you. Looking is free, they say, so look around and admire the city, the life, and the people.

11. PLAN YOUR LIFE
Some of us don’t really have our lives planned out. Life is short you know. Living from paycheck to paycheck isn’t an ideal way of living. You need to sit down sometimes and write down a plan for your life on paper. It’s sad that a lot of people have plans on everything else in their lives including what to buy and cook for the next pot of soup, but really don’t have plans for their lives. Time is going. The years are strolling by. Before you know it, you’ll be 30, 35, 50, etc.

What are you going to do to secure you future? Are you going back to school? Are you saving enough money to venture into business? What kind of business? Do you want to climb the professional ladder? When are you getting married? When are you going to build your own house, and where? How many kids will you have, and where do you want to train them?

Don’t just let life wheeze by. Use the time you have in traffic to plan. I’m not saying you should worry. I’m saying you should plan. He who fails to plan, has planned to fail. I’ll admit that sometimes, our plans change, but you should have something to lean on in the first place.

12. WATCH COMEDY ONLINE
On a lighter note though, Lagos traffic can be exhausting and frustrating. Instead of just sitting there, you could go to YouTube and watch some funny videos, comedy and the like. These can lighten your mood and make the traffic easier to bear. Laughing is good medicine. I’m sure you know.

13. WATCH A GOOD MOVIE
Some of us don’t have any time anymore for ourselves. It’s all work, work, work. When stuck in traffic, you could watch a good movie that you’ve downloaded but haven’t had the time to watch. If the movie is interesting enough, you won’t even know when the time passed and you’ll be home in no time. Of course, this is for those in public transport. Be vigilant though. Don’t pass your bus stop, and be careful of phone thieves! This na Lagos oh.

14. WRITE A GOOD ARTICLE
If you’re a writer, you could take the opportunity of being stuck in traffic to write a good article, especially that one you’ve been postponing. Maybe you’ve had it as a goal to set up a blog. Use the time you have in traffic to do so. I understand that you may be too exhausted to do anything creative, but even if it’s a few lines you manage to write, it is something.

15. ADVERTISE YOUR BUSINESS
I’m sure you must have a side hustle in addition to your normal day job. If you don’t please go find one like right away. Depending on where you work, your monthly salary alone can never sustain you in Lagos, not to talk of saving.
When stuck in traffic, use the opportunity to advertise your business online, on Facebook, Instagram and Nairaland. If nobody knows you, nobody will patronize your business. If it comes to it, pay some money to get your business known by a lot of people. In the long run, you’ll recover the money and make some profit.

These are 15 things you could do when stuck in Lagos traffic?

Written by Toochukwu Leonard.
Image credit: Pixabay

Do you have any other ideas? Let’s hear them.

Do an online course.
With the way traffic is legendary in Lagos, you could graduate �‍� with honours before you reach your destination.
I kid you not.
Re: 15 Things You Can Do When Stuck In Lagos Traffic by hahn(m): 10:07pm On Nov 04, 2018
youngsahito:
such traffic must last for a whole day 4 u to achieve all this in traffic

That's Lagos traffic for you cheesy grin
Re: 15 Things You Can Do When Stuck In Lagos Traffic by calliope(f): 10:18pm On Nov 04, 2018
Put on your earphones and blast away some loud music whilst reading a book .. works every time for me.
Re: 15 Things You Can Do When Stuck In Lagos Traffic by leonard002(m): 10:58pm On Nov 04, 2018
don4real18:

How? @the bolded
when you've perfected driving, you don't need a lot of mental effort to drive and hence you can comfortably do any mental activity like reading with ease
Re: 15 Things You Can Do When Stuck In Lagos Traffic by leonard002(m): 11:01pm On Nov 04, 2018
Ibukune:

Pls can u recommend an app that can be used for no 2. I mean d one that saves nd monitor reading progress. Thanks

try WPS office or my favorite, e-reader prestigio
Re: 15 Things You Can Do When Stuck In Lagos Traffic by flexerking(m): 12:04am On Nov 05, 2018
leonard002:
It’s no news that Lagosians spend countless hours in traffic, and some are avoidable if you plan yourself well, others, however you cannot avoid. Some spend up to 5 hours or more in traffic everyday commuting to and from their place of work.
Here are some possible things to do when you’re stuck in traffic, when either you’re driving your own car, or you’re in a commercial vehicle.

1. LISTEN TO AUDIO BOOKS
Audio books are one of the best things that happened to us in recent times in terms of how much we can learn and the flexibility of learning it. You could find good websites that give free audio books, or you could buy the audiobooks from Amazon. There are hundreds of thousands of audiobooks right there filled with knowledge from all fields of life, including your very field waiting to be downloaded. If you visit YouTube, you could find lots of them there too.
The good thing about listening to audio books is that you can do it while driving. Driving is a subconscious activity and imagine how much you could learn in those hours while in commute.

2. READ DIGITAL BOOKS (E-BOOKS)
The world is changing. Hard cover books are great, but they are gradually becoming obsolete. Do you know that a mere 10MB of memory space could give you between 10 to 50 e-books in epub, pdf, txt or mobi formats right there in your smartphone? Digital books are more flexible and easier to read as you can do so with any mobile devices you carry.
So, instead of waiting in traffic doing nothing, you could download e-books of your choice genre and start reading. If you like novels, there are millions of them online to download and read from. There are also a plethora of apps on the play store that give the reading much ease and flexibility. These apps even save your progress, and some of them even utilize the Text To Speech properties on your phone to read the novels or books aloud for you. This is especially useful if you’re on the wheels and hence can’t take your eyes off the road to read e-books.
No need to waste your time in traffic. With all those time, you can read and expand your horizon. Personally, within 3 weeks, I have read a complete 4 e-books and counting. I am expanding my knowledge base, and I think you should too!

3. LISTEN TO MUSIC
We all know that traffic can be exhausting and frustrating, so, don’t make it harder on yourself. Music is known universally to soothe our nerves and make us feel good. If you’re stuck in traffic. Listening to your favourite music can help you relax. You could even in your spare time create a playlist of music you can play in traffic that will relax you and make you happy while you get to your destination.

4. LISTEN TO THE RADIO
Well, every device or car has an F.M Radio, and Lagos has lots of good stations to listen to. So, to get informed, educated and entertained while in traffic, you can listen to your favourite F.M radio stations for good music, news and other interesting programs.

5. READ NAIRALAND
Well, Nairaland, without doubt is a very interesting forum. Loads of information right here if you know where to look. Most of us make the mistake of reading only front page and trending posts. I should tell you that there are dozens of other posts which don’t make it to front page but which are packed with fun, entertaining and interesting facts. What you need to do is to go to the section of your choice and browse, you’ll definitely see interesting stuff to read. Be sure to add discretion to what you read. Forget that a lot of members of the forum are tribalistic and insulting, but lots more are nice, warm and intelligent.
That is what you get in a faceless forum. Just ignore anyone you see that lacks courtesy even if they quote you. Don’t reply their quotes as some of them cannot even talk to you in real life. Of course, reading Nairaland is only possible if you’re in a public transport. Don’t read while driving as you need to pay attention to the road. Expand your knowledge by reading Nairaland articles, like this one grin

6. PRAY
Well, lots of Nigerians are very religious. If you’re stuck in traffic, you could gently bend down and pray. If you’re in your own car, you can pray as you want, but still pay attention to where you’re going. If you’re in a public transport, don’t be a nuisance to others, you can pray gently, in your mind. Prayer has been scientifically proven to give perspective and peace of mind. So, if you’re stuck in traffic, you can pray. Remember to pray for your country too!

7. CALL YOUR FRIENDS AND LOVED ONES
When you’re stuck in traffic, you can use that opportunity to make some calls to your friends and loved ones that you’ve not called for a long time. People appreciate it when you call them, even if it’s for less than a minute. Your friends and loved ones can also make you happy when you talk with them. Make the calls, create new connections and strengthen already existing ones. If you’re in your own vehicle it would be ideal as you won’t be disturbing anyone. Make sure you use loudspeaker though.

8. CHAT WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY
On WhatsApp and other platforms, you can spend some time when stuck in traffic to chat with people you love. Chat with the witty and funny ones who can make you smile and temporarily ease the stress of the traffic. This would be useful if you’re not driving.

9. MAKE NEW FRIENDS
Connections are very important. You never know who’s in that bus with you. They could be the person that gives you the information or assists you to achieve success in life. So if you can, start a conversation with the person sitting close to you. Try and be friendly, nice and warm. You could even meet your life partner in Lagos traffic. Lolz. That would be a great story on its own!

10. ADMIRE THE CITY
You’ve got to admit, Lagos is a very beautiful city. Well, some parts of it anyway. If you’re working in the Island and living in the mainland, you could take some time to admire all the fine skyscrapers and other stunning structures around you. Admire the exquisite cars that people are driving around you. Admire the gorgeous and beautiful dudes and ladies around you. Looking is free, they say, so look around and admire the city, the life, and the people.

11. PLAN YOUR LIFE
Some of us don’t really have our lives planned out. Life is short you know. Living from paycheck to paycheck isn’t an ideal way of living. You need to sit down sometimes and write down a plan for your life on paper. It’s sad that a lot of people have plans on everything else in their lives including what to buy and cook for the next pot of soup, but really don’t have plans for their lives. Time is going. The years are strolling by. Before you know it, you’ll be 30, 35, 50, etc.

What are you going to do to secure you future? Are you going back to school? Are you saving enough money to venture into business? What kind of business? Do you want to climb the professional ladder? When are you getting married? When are you going to build your own house, and where? How many kids will you have, and where do you want to train them?

Don’t just let life wheeze by. Use the time you have in traffic to plan. I’m not saying you should worry. I’m saying you should plan. He who fails to plan, has planned to fail. I’ll admit that sometimes, our plans change, but you should have something to lean on in the first place.

12. WATCH COMEDY ONLINE
On a lighter note though, Lagos traffic can be exhausting and frustrating. Instead of just sitting there, you could go to YouTube and watch some funny videos, comedy and the like. These can lighten your mood and make the traffic easier to bear. Laughing is good medicine. I’m sure you know.

13. WATCH A GOOD MOVIE
Some of us don’t have any time anymore for ourselves. It’s all work, work, work. When stuck in traffic, you could watch a good movie that you’ve downloaded but haven’t had the time to watch. If the movie is interesting enough, you won’t even know when the time passed and you’ll be home in no time. Of course, this is for those in public transport. Be vigilant though. Don’t pass your bus stop, and be careful of phone thieves! This na Lagos oh.

14. WRITE A GOOD ARTICLE
If you’re a writer, you could take the opportunity of being stuck in traffic to write a good article, especially that one you’ve been postponing. Maybe you’ve had it as a goal to set up a blog. Use the time you have in traffic to do so. I understand that you may be too exhausted to do anything creative, but even if it’s a few lines you manage to write, it is something.

15. ADVERTISE YOUR BUSINESS
I’m sure you must have a side hustle in addition to your normal day job. If you don’t please go find one like right away. Depending on where you work, your monthly salary alone can never sustain you in Lagos, not to talk of saving.
When stuck in traffic, use the opportunity to advertise your business online, on Facebook, Instagram and Nairaland. If nobody knows you, nobody will patronize your business. If it comes to it, pay some money to get your business known by a lot of people. In the long run, you’ll recover the money and make some profit.

These are 15 things you could do when stuck in Lagos traffic?

Written by Toochukwu Leonard.
Image credit: Pixabay

Do you have any other ideas? Let’s hear them.
guy forget all these ones jare.if u are not the person driving just start one heavy deep sleep
Re: 15 Things You Can Do When Stuck In Lagos Traffic by shadeze: 2:41am On Nov 05, 2018
You can also buy gala
Re: 15 Things You Can Do When Stuck In Lagos Traffic by Btruth: 5:03am On Nov 05, 2018
NLModsAreStupud:
Sleep small

sleep & snore small. grin grin
Re: 15 Things You Can Do When Stuck In Lagos Traffic by Thukzee01(m): 6:13am On Nov 05, 2018
hammyjoe:
Imagine being stuck in traffic and you are inside a danfo bus, sandwiched in between two fat and sweaty market women who are just coming from mile 12 market and the whole bus is smelling ponmo, iru, tomatoes, pepper and onion etc....... shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked cry��

I can relate ���
Re: 15 Things You Can Do When Stuck In Lagos Traffic by OgahBohz: 7:06am On Nov 05, 2018
NLModsAreStupud:
Sleep small
very important..
jst make sure you phone is safe first
Re: 15 Things You Can Do When Stuck In Lagos Traffic by incomeboostng: 10:00am On Nov 05, 2018
Cool... wink

You can as well check the progress of your online businesses (for those that know what I mean) like earnings, necessary adjustments you can do while on the go, reply a few mails or attend to some support ticket issues, check analytics, draft an idea or strategy to implement when you leave the traffic..., and a lot more
Re: 15 Things You Can Do When Stuck In Lagos Traffic by incomeboostng: 10:02am On Nov 05, 2018
flexerking:
guy forget all these ones jare.if u are not the person driving just start one heavy deep sleep

grin
Re: 15 Things You Can Do When Stuck In Lagos Traffic by Ivorianaija(f): 4:29pm On Nov 05, 2018
Or you may participate in the ever-lasting Nigerian tradition of cursing any person that does stupid nonsense until they want to fight you.
Re: 15 Things You Can Do When Stuck In Lagos Traffic by Basher8583: 10:55pm On Nov 13, 2018
Elayna:
I feel like the next time am coming to Lagos
I should carry my own road
Please stay in your Potor Republic of Biafra. No one needs you

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Trip To Kentucky Bourbon Trail | Louisville, KY / Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa / Lead City University Final Year Student Dies In Car Accident In Ibadan (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.