Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,829 members, 7,806,333 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:54 PM

Why Donald Trump Is So Popular And Loved In Africa - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Why Donald Trump Is So Popular And Loved In Africa (966 Views)

Why Donald Trump Lost 2020 US Election & Why Joe Biden Won / 8 Reasons Why Donald Trump Fired Rex Tillerson After He Visited Nigeria / Amina Mohammed Shakes Donald Trump. See The Look On Melania Trump's Face (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Donald Trump Is So Popular And Loved In Africa by khalhokage(m): 1:49pm On Nov 04, 2018
Donald Trump is a man who has never had genuine sincerity for Africa. But surprisingly, he is popular in Africa. Here is why Donald Trump is popular in Africa.

If there is any president of any powerful country who has made their distaste for Africa open, it is America's president Donald Trump. Since assuming power, he has not set foot in Africa yet, and he is very blunt as regards his disapproval of the whole continent.

He infamously referred to African countries as "shithole" countries. It sparked a lot of rage, but he just seemed not to care about the fuss of it all. He once dismissed Nigerians as "hut-dwellers" and once mentioned Namibia as "Nambia." And you know, no African country is called "Nambia". Despite all of this, Donald Trump is very popular in Africa.

Donald Trump is more popular in Africa than in any other region, according to a 25-nation survey by Pew, a pollster, as cited by The Economist. The figures clearly show a good rating for Trump from the perspective of Africans. According to the research, some 59% of Nigerians and 56% of Kenyans believe Trump has a positive influence on world affairs.

South Africans are not as enthusiastic with Trump. Only 39% express their confidence in Trump, but still, it's 12 percentage points higher than the global median. These are favourable figures for Donald Trump, coming from Africa, despite his apparent dislike for the continent.

At any point, Trump is less popular than Barack Obama, whose father was Kenyan. But what makes Africans like a president who shows no regard for them, who throws around derogatory terms whenever he feels like, just to feed his egotistical whims, and who thinks "Nambia" is a country?

Ignorance could play a part. Another pollster, Ipso, found that 38% of Kenyans could not name the American president. So, how can you resent someone you have not heard of yet?

America's influence in global culture is of immense proportions. Africans like the United States of America. And perhaps, this could explain why some Africans are fond of Donald Trump. Nigerians, Kenyans and South Africans are twice as likely to hold pro-American views as the average German. Africans like all things American. "Black Panther" is trending in Africa. Hip-Hop is also trendy in Africa. Talk about fast-food joints too.

But then again, is this only the reason why Africans are willing to tolerate Trump, and to like him? Here's what Trevor Noah, a South African comedian, said in 2015, "As an African, there’s just something familiar about Trump that makes me feel at home." So somewhere in there, Africans resonate with Trump's character and behaviour, they relate to that. Trevor Noah made note of how Mr Trump boasts about his wealth, power and that his brains are similar to those of the late Ugandan dictator, Idi Amin.

On a continent that has been inundated with over-bearing and bombastic presidents, there is something in Donald Trump that Africans find familiar. The outward expression of strength. "Somali parents like to name their sons after powerful men," says Saddam Hussein Adani, a logistician from Mogadishu. "If Trump were a Muslim, I’m sure you would have a few baby Donalds today."

Then, there is also the issue of USA vs China in controlling the world. For some Kenyans, a world that is controlled by the United States is better than that controlled by China. And so for this, the only reasonable thing is to show unwavering support for Donald Trump. They praise Trump for standing up to China.

Perhaps someone informed Trump about the harshness of his impolite and crude remarks towards Africa, and of late, he has tried to adopt a conciliatory tone. "Africa is so beautiful," he gushed ahead of his wife Melania’s recent tour of the continent.

But Africans are aware that this is not Trump. They prefer the real, blunt Donald Trump who expresses what is exactly on his mind whether you like it or not. They know the conciliatory tone is just for public relations.

No insincere flattery. "He’s only saying what the others think," says Willie Wekesa, a truck driver, glancing away from the American wrestling show on the television behind him. "At least he’s honest about it."

Source: The African Exponent

1 Like

Re: Why Donald Trump Is So Popular And Loved In Africa by khalhokage(m): 2:06pm On Nov 04, 2018
Personally I think he's garbage, but that's just my opinion.

2 Likes

Re: Why Donald Trump Is So Popular And Loved In Africa by DanielOc: 2:16pm On Nov 04, 2018
He's a man that says things how they are without fear or favour, though, the Media Giants are trying to give him bad name....

I pray a bigger him....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Donald Trump Is So Popular And Loved In Africa by bedspread: 4:14pm On Nov 04, 2018
Donald Trump may not be a Saint but his Election and his acts after The Election has shown that He is a Willing tool in the Hands of The CREATOR
Re: Why Donald Trump Is So Popular And Loved In Africa by khalhokage(m): 4:31pm On Nov 04, 2018
bedspread:
Donald Trump may not be a Saint but his Election and his acts after The Election has shown that He is a Willing tool in the Hands of The CREATOR

In the hands of Putin you mean?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Donald Trump Is So Popular And Loved In Africa by bedspread: 4:38pm On Nov 04, 2018
[s]
khalhokage:

In the hands of Putin you mean?
[/s]
is putin your Creator ?
Re: Why Donald Trump Is So Popular And Loved In Africa by khalhokage(m): 4:50pm On Nov 04, 2018
bedspread:
[s][/s]
is putin your Creator ?

Putin might as well be his creator, but don't bring God into this, I don't know what type of God he would be if he supports Donald Trump, but I know it wouldn't be a good one.

3 Likes

Re: Why Donald Trump Is So Popular And Loved In Africa by bedspread: 4:54pm On Nov 04, 2018
khalhokage:

Putin might as well be his creator, but don't bring God into this, I don't know what type of God he would be if he supports Donald Trump, but I know it wouldn't be a good one.

Sooner or Later u will understand!!

President Trump is A Blessing !! A Great BLESSING !
You hate him or love him! It's your cup!!

I BLESS GOD FOR Giving The Earth a Donald Trump!!

Donald Trump is The FINGER of GOD

3 Likes

Re: Why Donald Trump Is So Popular And Loved In Africa by khalhokage(m): 4:57pm On Nov 04, 2018
bedspread:

Sooner or Later u will understand!!
President Trump is A Blessing !! A Great BLESSING ! You hate him or love him! It's your cup!!
I BLESS GOD FOR Giving The Earth a Donald Trump!!
Donald Trump is The FINGER of GOD
lol, you sound like a loon.
What the hell has he done that makes you think he's been sent by God?

2 Likes

Re: Why Donald Trump Is So Popular And Loved In Africa by bedspread: 5:01pm On Nov 04, 2018
khalhokage:

lol, you sound like a loon.

What the hell has he done that makes you think he's been sent by God?

Only a Blind fellow does not know or See Greatness and Sweetness the USA has been Under President Trump!!

When a US president decides to involve GOD ALMIGHTY, it can't be otherwise! It's Greatness Everywhere!!

After the Mid-Term Elections you will know more!!
Re: Why Donald Trump Is So Popular And Loved In Africa by khalhokage(m): 5:06pm On Nov 04, 2018
bedspread:

Only a Blind fellow does not know or See Greatness and Sweetness the USA has been Under President Trump!!

After the Mid-Term Elections you will know more!!

ugh! fine, I don't have the energy to go in an endless circle with you in an attempt to coax some semblance of a coherent argument.

In the same way Buhari has been revealed as a failure, I believe time will do the same for Trump.

2 Likes

Re: Why Donald Trump Is So Popular And Loved In Africa by bedspread: 5:07pm On Nov 04, 2018
khalhokage:

ugh! fine, I don't have the energy to go in an endless circle with you in an attempt to coax some semblance of a coherent argument.

In the same way Buhari has been revealed as a failure, I believe time will do the same for Trump.
bye
Re: Why Donald Trump Is So Popular And Loved In Africa by Aaronsrod: 11:59pm On Nov 05, 2018
khalhokage:

We love Donald Trump because he is Trump is the Lords anointed.

America is Gods country.

Re: Why Donald Trump Is So Popular And Loved In Africa by FRESHG(m): 12:35am On Nov 06, 2018
khalhokage:
Personally I think he's garbage, but that's just my opinion.
IMAM LUCASBALO AKA ABBEBAILEY IS THAT YOUgrin
Re: Why Donald Trump Is So Popular And Loved In Africa by khalhokage(m): 1:45am On Nov 06, 2018
FRESHG:
IMAM LUCASBALO AKA ABBEBAILEY IS THAT YOUgrin

What?
Re: Why Donald Trump Is So Popular And Loved In Africa by khalhokage(m): 1:48am On Nov 06, 2018
Aaronsrod:

We love Donald Trump because he is Trump is the Lords anointed.

America is Gods country.

So God anointed a thieving, lying, racist, fornicating, adulterous fraudster to lead a country you called "God's own country"?

Leave God out of human politics, it's blasphemous to throw his name about in this manner.

2 Likes

Re: Why Donald Trump Is So Popular And Loved In Africa by Caseless: 6:15am On Nov 06, 2018
The "pollsters" from Nigeria are mostly the flaatheaded drug dealers and their foot soldiers on the internet. Every little thing they face, they cry by calling "amelika". No sensible person takes the dotard seriously.

1 Like

Re: Why Donald Trump Is So Popular And Loved In Africa by khalhokage(m): 6:22am On Nov 06, 2018
Caseless:
The "pollsters" from Nigeria are mostly the flaatheaded drug dealers and their foot soldiers on the internet. Every little thing they face, they cry by calling "amelika". No sensible person takes the dotard seriously.

I'm an Igbo man and i don't like the man, so fûck off you hate filled tribalist dumbass.
Re: Why Donald Trump Is So Popular And Loved In Africa by OfficialAPCNig: 8:05am On Nov 06, 2018
Caseless:
Only yoruba moslems hate Trump. They know with Trump, there is no way for terrorists in the world, especially in the holy land.
Re: Why Donald Trump Is So Popular And Loved In Africa by Aaronsrod: 10:08am On Nov 06, 2018
khalhokage:

So God anointed a thieving, lying, racist, fornicating, adulterous fraudster to lead a country you called "God's own country"?

Leave God out of human politics, it's blasphemous to throw his name about in this manner.

I caution you.

Be careful how you speak about Gods servants.
Re: Why Donald Trump Is So Popular And Loved In Africa by Temple1288(m): 8:11am On Nov 09, 2018
Caseless:

You mean the millions of Americans that voted the man in are not sensible? Mr Sensible, if Obama did so well Hillary would've been President but he spent time creating wars. It was the only opportunity Africa had to be free from every year aid but he bleeped up. Libya is a clear example of Obama's legacy. Now, Mr Sensible you're Senseless.
Re: Why Donald Trump Is So Popular And Loved In Africa by Temple1288(m): 8:14am On Nov 09, 2018
Why won't I love the man when a certain African
privileged to be Pres. in America ravaged Libya. Didn't come to Africa with any economic policy other than telling us how gays should be accepted.

(1) (Reply)

Sky Painted In Red, Blue And White, Guns Fired As Putin Arrives In UAE / South Africans Are Not Doing Anything New:Nigeria Also Expelled Foreigners. / Obama Cheers As US $700m Spacecraft Survives Close Encounter With Pluto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.