Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:19 AM

High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? (14297 Views)

Manager In A Hotel Or State Internal Revenue Job? / Edo State Civil Service Commission Massive Job Recruitment (37 Positions) / Ascon (Ogun State Civil Service Commission) Form Is OUT..!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by Mcval(m): 7:18am On Nov 05, 2018
You better go for the contract job and forget the state civil service job. Job security my foot! That is how they've been deceiving people with the 'job security slogan'. Nothing there is secured when even your future/life after retirement is not even secured. Salaries are being owed and pensions are not even regular talk less of gratuities. I had to resign from the state civil service where I was retained after my service year to join the private sector. Today I run my own distribution company to the Glory of God.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by henrygale(m): 7:18am On Nov 05, 2018
The government job is like being in a comfortable zone where you just take whatever is brought to coz u know u r secured somehow.........spate of unpaid salaries, under utilisation etc.
The contract job is dope bro.....u will task ur brain and even get paid for it. U live a better life and have enough to save up for better things even when the contract terminates.
Just have a good plan when going into the contract job.....like a 2-3year plan and target both financially and career wise.
Don't pick the government job except if it's with the federal govt, at that sef, I will still pick the contract job.
Presently, I'm almost concluding plans and process of leaving my state govt job for one of such jobs u mentioned!
Just be smart and have a target/plan.

3 Likes

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by izuvin(m): 7:18am On Nov 05, 2018
Finest777:
money is important bt I think d job security is importanter...........

Even very importantest lolz
Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by SAMBARRY: 7:19am On Nov 05, 2018
Go for the one with higher salary. After your contract is over use the money to establish a business and be self employed. I don't see to all these 9-5 jobs jare

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by naijanative: 7:19am On Nov 05, 2018
Don't accept government offer. Unless you are shortsighted. Normal hustlers won't take govt job even for free, it's a distraction. Unless you want to live later in life either struggling financially or by taking bribes etc. The ball is at your court

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by Dex4(m): 7:22am On Nov 05, 2018
If you are the lazy type who don't mind cooling off at the office and doing eye service, govt job is good. Nobody will sack you and you grow in corrupt practices.

But if you are the field type(engineer) and you wanna own your company someday, take job with multinational with this goals in mind; 'You are working for the 3years to write certifications, gather experience and make sure you use your money well'.

You still have to decide bro Coz if e red, na u go still bear the brunt!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by anonymuz(m): 7:22am On Nov 05, 2018
Bro high paying contract job is far better. You can build a better future with it if you know what you are doing. Civil service is good. But isn't reliable this days.
Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by anonymuz(m): 7:24am On Nov 05, 2018
Mcval:
You better go for the contract job and forget the state civil service job. Job security my foot! That is how they've been deceiving people with the 'job security slogan'. Nothing there is secured when even your future/life after retirement is not even secured. Salaries are being owed and pensions are not even regular talk less of gratuities. I had to resign from the state civil service where I was retained after my service year to join the private sector. Today I run my own distribution company to the Glory of God.
you deserve a very chilled beer but it's too early... Bro you just said it all

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by duduade: 7:25am On Nov 05, 2018
Lool

Our parents and family members who belong to the old school generation will say take the Government job because of job security and co

We the younger generation will say take the contract job because of what you have highlighted above

Do what you want. You an adult now.. So you must learn to make your decisions and face the consequences if the need arises

2 Likes

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by tayo60(f): 7:25am On Nov 05, 2018
Better pick d contract job. If d civil service job is federal now ,it would have been a best choice for you but state, that won't pay you salary for many months. Abeg, leave d state work and go for d one with high payment with a lot of experiences and connection.

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by Dumetroniks: 7:25am On Nov 05, 2018
Whichever way someone's else's prayer is about to be answered cos this is a mutually exclusive event. You must take one and leave one for your fellow Nigerian which isn't bad if u ask me...

Nontheless I'll say u look at the contract job with multinational. The moment some prospective employers see a big multinational name in ur CV they begin to develop more interest in u cos of your previous work background and experience.

You will never grow fast in a state civil service in terms of career and experience coupled with the nonchalance tolerated towards work and the rest. Nothing to motivate u to work more or be focused. At the budding phase of ur career u need better motivation and push.

In the end ..ask God for directions and better decisions. Youread definitely going to have a job and bless ur naija brother with one.

My 2 cents.

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by mudiana(m): 7:29am On Nov 05, 2018
Take charge of your life. With the contract job, u ll thrive to do better to get an extension, DAT way ur life will be interesting and fun. With the government job, you will be doing every day routine, feeling comfortable complaining about the government, fighting for allowances, managing resources cos ur salary finishes in every two weeks of the month. You will be attending boring events like funerals, naming ceremony and donating ur small salary to those getting married.

7 Likes

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by Iruosonobrugwhe: 7:30am On Nov 05, 2018
what if the contract job that is planned for 3-5 yrs ends in 6 months? .....yes it can happen, it has has happened,it does happen.

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by ifexezim(m): 7:31am On Nov 05, 2018
Go for the contract Job please, state worker's are feeding from hand to mouth except those corrupt staff.
We in monetary economy.
And if you want to build a career flee from the state work.
I am telling you this from experience

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by Tobyarab(m): 7:37am On Nov 05, 2018
Obviously you are someone who is inexperienced in life to be asking such crass question. How can you even think twice, people are looking to work and save up enough money to leave Nigeria. how is such a thought not in your mind.how long would you work for a state government firm that you can save enough to even buy a car.upwardly mobile people get through to financial success. you must be ambitious in this life. state government employees usually lack ambition in life. work in an environment with people that will inspire you daily.

2 Likes

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by holuphisayor(m): 7:40am On Nov 05, 2018
I hope your state isn't owing 11months salary. Maybe that will help your decision making.

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by atiku4President(m): 7:42am On Nov 05, 2018
High paying contract job, say 700k to 900k per month if the contract is more than 5 years.

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by SPOILT9JAOLOSHO(m): 7:44am On Nov 05, 2018
arsenalman:
I will try to be brief.

I finished my youth service about two years ago and since then I have been underemployed. God in his infinite goodness gave me a dream job 2 weeks ago. The problem is that the job is a contract job with a big company which will last for about 3 to 5 years with possibility of an extension.

Today I also got news that I have been employed by my state civil service commission.

Now this is where I have a problem. The state job is secure but the salary is far below that of the contract job. The contract job's pay is about 3 times the pay of the government job but it might not last as long as the government job. I will also have opportunities of meeting many high level people and gain valuable experience while doing the contract job which might help me secure bigger jobs later.

My parents and uncles have adviced me to take the government job since there is job security and promotion but my friends and senior colleagues say I should go for the job with the multinational company because I can save up to either relocate out of the country to practice my profession or set up a business in Nigeria plus I will have good connections.

Please fam I'm confused. Every suggestion and advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Its really a tough one, but I can relate to this with someone's experience. u can mail me for more candid opinion if u want.

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by Nobody: 7:46am On Nov 05, 2018
State jobs kill people dreams, Only business men enjoy it

unless you have some business aside & don't like distraction from ur boss, state job is cool

But if you are unemployed, contract job is bae

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by Deeldorado: 7:46am On Nov 05, 2018
Do not stifle your career by becoming a civil servant. Go for the contract job.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by Yankee101: 7:48am On Nov 05, 2018
How much are both salaries?
Which state is the govt job?
Which state is the contract job?
Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by Nobody: 7:48am On Nov 05, 2018
mudiana:
Take charge of your life. With the contract job, u ll thrive to do better to get an extension, DAT way ur life will be interesting and fun. With the government job, you will be doing every day routine, feeling comfortable complaining about the government, fighting for allowances, managing resources cos ur salary finishes in every two weeks of the month. You will be attending boring events like funerals, naming ceremony and donating ur small salary to those getting married.

lol, guys are not smiling, but the funny thing is you just described the life of a working class married adult grin

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by cenaman(m): 7:49am On Nov 05, 2018
u say the pay of the contract job is 3times better than the civil service job and it will last for 3 to 5, with terms of extention for and year? don't u know that the salary for the contract work for five years is equivilent to 15yrs salary in the civil service? take the contract work and make enough saving and start a good business.

2 Likes

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by rOsy247(f): 7:49am On Nov 05, 2018
Take the two. Find a way to hold down the civil service job if you know what I mean. There's always a way to go around it. After 5 years of good savings, start a good business that will fetch you huge sums. Then chill with the civil service job.

2 Likes

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by Lucifer66(m): 7:51am On Nov 05, 2018
Contract job man don't make the mistake of going for government.
They are known to owe salary. If you perform well am sure the company will extend your contract!

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by gentle007(m): 7:52am On Nov 05, 2018
If the contract job is 150k per month, brother forget am. Wetin you go save? I guess you are just starting life. You will want to live as a young man, prepare to get married. And you may want to do these things as the money comes in. Before you know it, fifth year is in front of you and you have maybe, just maybe, around 500k in your bank account with a wife and a baby. REALITY BRO.

Unless the contract job gives a return of 300k, brother, my candid input is for you to stick with the state. You can do some side gigs with your time as it will give you more time to try other things.It will help you to streamline your expenses according to your 'meagre' income. The last time I checked, those state civil servants are not as poor as we depict them. They even live better than most people in private sector.

3 Likes

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by reiddecuti: 8:01am On Nov 05, 2018
greatiyk4u:
Option A......contract job
Advantages.... High pay Quick and better experience High possibility of getting connection Better working environment
Disadvantage No job security Lower possibility of corruption

Option B Advantages Job security assured High possibility of getting corruption money Possibility of growing to director and permanent secretary position Will give u opportunity to do business Will give load easy and sure access to loan

Disadvantage Lower salary You forget including owing of salary by state government The possibility of not getting your gratuity and pension is very high. Trust Nigerian government, the worst government to do business with. They don't honor contract or agreement.
Now, make your choice wisely
Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by Peteryt01: 8:01am On Nov 05, 2018
If d pay of contract job is 3 times civil service, it means u'll spend 15 YEARS trying to Garner wat the contract job will give u in 5 years.

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by sect(m): 8:01am On Nov 05, 2018
arsenalman:
I will try to be brief.

I finished my youth service about two years ago and since then I have been underemployed. God in his infinite goodness gave me a dream job 2 weeks ago. The problem is that the job is a contract job with a big company which will last for about 3 to 5 years with possibility of an extension.

Today I also got news that I have been employed by my state civil service commission.

Now this is where I have a problem. The state job is secure but the salary is far below that of the contract job. The contract job's pay is about 3 times the pay of the government job but it might not last as long as the government job. I will also have opportunities of meeting many high level people and gain valuable experience while doing the contract job which might help me secure bigger jobs later.

My parents and uncles have adviced me to take the government job since there is job security and promotion but my friends and senior colleagues say I should go for the job with the multinational company because I can save up to either relocate out of the country to practice my profession or set up a business in Nigeria plus I will have good connections.

Please fam I'm confused. Every suggestion and advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Be ambitious.
Have faith.
Build your dreams.
Dont depend on the government but your ability.
Choose contract job ASAP.

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by reiddecuti: 8:02am On Nov 05, 2018
greatiyk4u:
Advantages.... High pay Quick and better experience High possibility of getting connection Better working environment

Option B Advantages Job security assured High possibility of getting corruption money Possibility of growing to director and permanent secretary position Will give u opportunity to do business Will give load easy and sure access to loan

Disadvantage Lower salary You forget including owing of salary by state government The possibility of not getting your gratuity and pension is very high. Trust Nigerian government, the worst government to do business with. They don't honor contract or agreement.
Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by reiddecuti: 8:02am On Nov 05, 2018
greatiyk4u:

Disadvantage Lower salary
You forget including owing of salary by state government The possibility of not getting your gratuity and pension is very high. Trust Nigerian government, the worst government to do business with. They don't honor contract or agreement.
Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by Peteryt01: 8:03am On Nov 05, 2018
If d pay of contract job is 3 times civil service, it means u'll spend 15 YEARS trying to Garner wat the contract job will give u in 5 years.

Pray about it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Are These Real Or Should I Continue With My Job Search? / 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless / How To Get Paid 100k Monthly Teaching A Subject Without Leaving Your Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.