Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:30 AM

High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? (14300 Views)

Manager In A Hotel Or State Internal Revenue Job? / Edo State Civil Service Commission Massive Job Recruitment (37 Positions) / Ascon (Ogun State Civil Service Commission) Form Is OUT..!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by emedy(m): 8:04am On Nov 05, 2018
henrygale:
The government job is like being in a comfortable zone where you just take whatever is brought to coz u know u r secured somehow.........spate of unpaid salaries, under utilisation etc.
The contract job is dope bro.....u will task ur brain and even get paid for it. U live a better life and have enough to save up for better things even when the contract terminates.
Just have a good plan when going into the contract job.....like a 2-3year plan and target both financially and career wise.
Don't pick the government job except if it's with the federal govt, at that sef, I will still pick the contract job.
Presently, I'm almost concluding plans and process of leaving my state govt job for one of such jobs u mentioned!
Just be smart and have a target/plan.
There’s sth call secondment. Have you thought of that?

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by Dalvic(m): 8:06am On Nov 05, 2018
Guy, hope the contract job is directly to the multinational not a contractor staff or via out sourcing firm. If you have a direct engagement and you analyse your passion to self drive. Then go for your passion.

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by nonyjay(m): 8:07am On Nov 05, 2018
can you do both...?

I have 12 years experience working with multinationals.. call me08099501323 I can mentor you or help you find a mentor.... Provided you are a good listener..

What you (and other youths) need is good mentors in your field/dream field...

Mentorship is critical ingredient in youth development... lack of it affected many...
Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by ItzNas(m): 8:08am On Nov 05, 2018
I was in exactly the same situation earlier this year and I chose the contract job.

I felt the contract job would be a platform to gain valuable experience which will be a launch pad to greater things while earning mad salary.

A govt job only guarantees you highest 60k monthly for a graduate and then what??

You could alternatively accept the govt job and take a leave without pay. That will allow you to go for the contract job while still retaining the govt work. Only that years spent on leave without pay won't be eligible for promotion. I have colleagues who chose this option.

All the best!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by emedy(m): 8:15am On Nov 05, 2018
Only Lazy minds feel that Multi-nationals are short termed, Once you’re in, you have gone beyond entry level and your experience will matter a lot. That’s where you get rewarded for your results. You’ll have a chance to build capacity which will become invaluable in the near future. Pick the Contract Job, have a saving plan which will be quite easier given the plenty allowances you’d receiving. Finally, advance your career as fast as possible and create a track road for yourself, be known for results. Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by oyejideogunjumo: 8:17am On Nov 05, 2018
arsenalman:
I will try to be brief.

I finished my youth service about two years ago and since then I have been underemployed. God in his infinite goodness gave me a dream job 2 weeks ago. The problem is that the job is a contract job with a big company which will last for about 3 to 5 years with possibility of an extension.

Today I also got news that I have been employed by my state civil service commission.

Now this is where I have a problem. The state job is secure but the salary is far below that of the contract job. The contract job's pay is about 3 times the pay of the government job but it might not last as long as the government job. I will also have opportunities of meeting many high level people and gain valuable experience while doing the contract job which might help me secure bigger jobs later.

My parents and uncles have adviced me to take the government job since there is job security and promotion but my friends and senior colleagues say I should go for the job with the multinational company because I can save up to either relocate out of the country to practice my profession or set up a business in Nigeria plus I will have good connections.

Please fam I'm confused. Every suggestion and advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Life itself is a risk. Take the contract job ONLY if u are not lazy and short minded. From the multiple pay,have a Target and focus on re investment and probably be self employed. Have a Target of two years and what you can save and also. Besides the high caliber people u will meet is another added advantage. BT if u are d complacent type and easy going settle down for covil service and continue managing your life. BT left for me o WL take the contract job and invest it's proceeds somewhere else to fall back to incase it ends abruptly. Sorry if am harsh
Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by MyMouth(m): 8:18am On Nov 05, 2018
I know someone that took a 3years contrast job with possibility of extension with one of them INGOs in the northeast at the expense of a job with the fed civil service, the amount the guy earns in a month covers what he would have earn for 5 months in the civil service, not to talk of the exposure and connection he has made. Go for the contract job!!!!!
Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by Rubbiish(m): 8:22am On Nov 05, 2018
XaviDayo:
Go and start the one that has given you appointment letter and leave us alone abeg.

Buhari must go
Lolzzz...this guy is funny
Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by Gokoyer0(m): 8:24am On Nov 05, 2018
Since you mentioned you finished your NYSC about 2 years ago, that means you may not entering the state govt job with MSc degree. So, your monthly salary can't be that much with a state govt in Nigeria. Thus, your contract job's salary can't be more than 300k naira since you said it's 3 times more than the state govt job's salary. In this case, you are still young and if you are a risk-taker, ambitious, intelligent and above all, not-so-much family members depend on you, I will advice that you go for the contract job. On the other hand, if you are afraid of the future and so much is expected of you among your family members, please stick with govt job while you go for your MSc degree, or professional certification, or much-needed skills to have an edge in labour market and keep on looking for better job. You are still single but your decision today will affect your tomorrow!
arsenalman:
I will try to be brief.

I finished my youth service about two years ago and since then I have been underemployed. God in his infinite goodness gave me a dream job 2 weeks ago. The problem is that the job is a contract job with a big company which will last for about 3 to 5 years with possibility of an extension.

Today I also got news that I have been employed by my state civil service commission.

Now this is where I have a problem. The state job is secure but the salary is far below that of the contract job. The contract job's pay is about 3 times the pay of the government job but it might not last as long as the government job. I will also have opportunities of meeting many high level people and gain valuable experience while doing the contract job which might help me secure bigger jobs later.

My parents and uncles have adviced me to take the government job since there is job security and promotion but my friends and senior colleagues say I should go for the job with the multinational company because I can save up to either relocate out of the country to practice my profession or set up a business in Nigeria plus I will have good connections.

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by CodeTemplar: 8:25am On Nov 05, 2018
if in OP shoes I will go for the contract job because it pays better and can be extended. State job will likely have you looking up to your pension.
Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by mimimile93: 8:26am On Nov 05, 2018
XaviDayo:
Go and start the one that has given you appointment letter and leave us alone abeg.

Buhari must go

Frustrated jobless dude spotted
Meanwhile

Sai baba till 2023
Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by slap1(m): 8:26am On Nov 05, 2018
Forget the government job, bros. It will limit your scope of career expansion. And if you earn more from the contract job, you might establish your own business before it ends.

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by divinelove(m): 8:32am On Nov 05, 2018
ote author=arsenalman post=72675873]I will try to be brief.

Please fam I'm confused. Every suggestion and advice is appreciated. Thank you.[/quote]

It depends on the state here if it is one of the viable states like Enugu that pays salaries as and when due then take the state job but if it is a state like Abia owing 9 months salary then take the contract job

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by goshen26: 8:32am On Nov 05, 2018
F the state is Lagos/Rivers/Taraba pls take the govt job with the plan of doing other runs behind, because you will have time for the other runs.

If the state is any of those states that depend on federal govt to pay salary then pick the contract job, save enough money from it, try to do professional courses that will turn you to guru after the contract....best of luck

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by Xmen149(m): 8:32am On Nov 05, 2018
Bro, Go for the contract job, State Government job has no job security dis days. I remembered about 8 years ago a friend of my left his job for osun state government job, barely few months a new government came in and sacked all the newly employees employed by immediate past government.

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by pawsofdikeje(m): 8:34am On Nov 05, 2018
Go for the state job and start thinking of becoming a politician even at the state job level.

Think job security boss

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by Chookym(m): 8:41am On Nov 05, 2018
Go for the contract and save up to owning your own biz . Thats a better way of planning for the future

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by GreatMahmud: 8:41am On Nov 05, 2018
What if the contract job doesn't last up to the speculated 3years. I have worked in such multinationals before. We were told 2years and after 1year, the contract staff were laid off with peanuts. Oga think well anyway before you jump into the river.

2 Likes

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by Nobody: 8:42am On Nov 05, 2018
Are you planning to live a routine boring life?
Do you want to be owed your pension after stresing for 30 years?
Pick the Government Job...

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by frozen70(f): 8:47am On Nov 05, 2018
If you have options, go for contract job

State government job is for those that doesn't have options

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by frozen70(f): 8:50am On Nov 05, 2018
If you have options, go for contract job

State government job is not really advisable, there is no prospect there and you can't go beyond your state

Besides you are still young to be kept in a particular place

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by iSpread(m): 9:01am On Nov 05, 2018
SPOILT9JAOLOSHO:

Its really a tough one, but I can relate to this with someone's experience. u can mail me for more candid opinion if u want.
I have sent you an email. thanks
Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by tjskii(f): 9:03am On Nov 05, 2018
High paying contract job,the civil service will kill ur spirit ambition and drive.

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by TGM2015: 9:07am On Nov 05, 2018
arsenalman:
I will try to be brief.

Go for the contract job and work like your pay is that of the Government job. Save the differential increase (2/3) of the pay for the 3-5 years. Put the savings after 6 months into fixed deposits. Gains the experience and leverage on your contacts in the contract job, you will be happy to have taken that decision in the next 3 to 5 years. Always take the job that aligned with your interest and dream even if the pay is less or is of shorter period of time, it increases you chances in getting a better offer due to "relevant/direct working experiences" you must have gathered. Professional wise, the average trends of workers working for a company is around 5 years, so when you spent 3 to 5 years in an organisation you should be aiming for other company except your current employer has given a clear career paths of professional progression into management level for you and it is working/reliable.

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by engrsyer(m): 9:09am On Nov 05, 2018
arsenalman:
I will try to be brief.

my brother go after that multinational company. QED

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by ajayiopy: 9:11am On Nov 05, 2018
PERSONALLY , I DONT Believe working for an establishment for very long time. so guy do not hesitate to go for contract Job

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by IbrahimDamola: 9:14am On Nov 05, 2018
If you are yoruba take the civil service job, if you are Igbo take the contract job.

Only those who know what I mean, know what I mean.

2 Likes

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by IbrahimDamola: 9:26am On Nov 05, 2018
nonyjay:
can you do both...?

I have 12 years experience working with multinationals.. call me08099501323 I can mentor you or help you find a mentor.... Provided you are a good listener..

What you (and other youths) need is good mentors in your field/dream field...

Mentorship is critical ingredient in youth development... lack of it affected many...

How much will you collect for the 'mentorship'? Because I know that nothing goes for nothing in nigeria.
Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by eddieo(m): 9:42am On Nov 05, 2018
arsenalman:
I will try to be brief.

State jobs do not pay anything reasonable and you might be owed for months. If is an FG job you can take it but state, NO. take the contract job if it pays at least 190k per month. This implies that you must start investing from day one you started the contract job.
There is no reasonable growth in state civil service job. i doubt if you will collect more than 52k per month. The only advantage you have is that you can easily access different loans from different financial institutions.
Go for the contract job and be smart. You can later revert to an FG job later which i doubt you will do when you start touching huge funds in multinational Corps. The good thing about such jobs is that you can easily switch with your experience into similar corporations.
If you are scared of taking the risk, then take the state civil service job (wont advize), finish your documentation and apply for a Leave of Absence (without pay), then go for the contract job. But mind you as you will loose your promotion in the civil service.
I have a very good paying FG job my my eyes are keenly on moving into the big multinationals. I just need less than 10 years in a multinational corporation and i can comfortably set up a company of mine. Dig deep most guys in the big multinational have businesses/companies they've set up. This is the best advice i can give. All the best.

2 Likes

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by lenghtinny(m): 9:48am On Nov 05, 2018
If you love yourself, go for the contract job, plan ahead, establish yourself with whatever you get out of it...

Do you think government workers are called servants for fun ( forget about the civil in front of it). Does it makes sense to work for 35 years and still go back to beg for crumbs in the name of pension after retiring? That's not a good life no matter how you look at it....

I understand your family's view on security but in this era of economic woes, the state government salaries isn't really secured anymore......The state governors are often reluctant to promote civil servants because of the salary increase....

Plan very well, don't live above your means and make the best out of every opportunity the contract job presents to you....

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by AbbeyLinkoln92(m): 9:50am On Nov 05, 2018
confused bawo?, pls go for contract job and earn big money to either find your way or establish your self after 5 yrs, a company you work for, for about 5 yrs , you can even build your connection from there. but if you think you are going to be placed high level position in govt job and you would have access to embezzle money or award contract to contractors where you can as well earn money too, you can go for govt but if not, pls i use God beg you go for contract.
arsenalman:
I will try to be brief.

1 Like

Re: High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? by gost: 9:58am On Nov 05, 2018
in today's 21st century, financial security is far better than job security.
as a contract staff in a multinational company my self I can assure you the possibilities are endless. great Pay, good working environment free of government witch hunting and unmotivational environment.
is true that as a contract staff you may suffer stagnation in terms of promotion, but if you really want to know what stagnation is try state government jobs in Nigeria.
if I were you, I will take the contract job, and save about 70% of my pay for the first 3 years without thinking about marriage while observing what the future will look like.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless / Why The Rush In Military Applicants? / How To Get Paid 100k Monthly Teaching A Subject Without Leaving Your Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.