Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:27 AM

7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment (22968 Views)

What Is That Diabolical Sign To Look Out For While Renting An Apartment? / Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive / Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by jetson06: 9:37am On Nov 06, 2018
Also check if they sell ganja in that area and if there are any beer parlor around the area as well.
Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by Holywizard: 9:37am On Nov 06, 2018
Secondarily...
Where young girls are around for easy access to Congo shining
Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by dangoteinlaw: 9:38am On Nov 06, 2018
Echelle:
You should also check d distance to any APC offices...
Trust me, you don't want to be associated with failures, nepotism and ofcourse lifelessness....
lmao really funny

1 Like

Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by Edoziesmart(m): 9:42am On Nov 06, 2018
iamJ:
Thread for poor people

When there is jumia food, who market epp?
does they ship perishable food from Lagos to borno? If NO then keep kwayet.
Because you reside in Lagos where jumia food is easily ship to your doorstep

1 Like

Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by nonotunmi: 9:47am On Nov 06, 2018
8..make sure its not in lagos
Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by nuttysam: 9:47am On Nov 06, 2018
Dont just rent one ,get yourself a house baby
Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by frugal(m): 9:49am On Nov 06, 2018
shakurkings:
8. ASK IF PETS ARE ALLOWED
My landlady is on my neck now because I have two dogs. We didn't agree on that before I moved in.
Probably constituting a nuisance. If your dogs are well trained and live indoors, you should have no issues. Sadly, most Nigerian dog owners don't know a thing about proper training and grooming of dogs.

I used to live in a 2 bedroom flat with two big German shepherds. 3 other tenants, including the landlady. No issues.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by kingjoe(m): 9:58am On Nov 06, 2018
five major factors considered before rent. 1 income .this has to do with sustainability .a wise man said don't pay rent that exceeds your two months income. breaking it further if u earn 200k.don't live in area where the rent exceeds 400k per annum. 2proximity to work. where do u work .are u mobile. what chunk of your income goes on transport
.security .how secured is that area..4 access. how good is the road in that area. is it Tarred.is is it affected by flood.my dear if u are rich man but too much potholes are where u live.u ate suffering and your life span is shortened. then finally services such as power etc

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by wink2015(m): 10:06am On Nov 06, 2018
daewoorazer:
1. Current state of things:
You may find it interesting to realize some residences already owe electricity bill as much as 100,000, and no!, the landlord/lady will never keep you abreast of this. In worst cases, some residences are placed and charged on commercial rates and you won’t have an idea until your first monthly electricity bill assumes 15,000. Do not wait until this time.

2. Proximity to bus stops:
your work starts 7:00am in the morning but how early should you wake up? 2 hours before because you have to walk 45 minutes to reach your bus-stop?

3. Network of roads:
for the mobile citizens, do not endanger the life of your car out of desperation. Before you pay that rent, find out if the condition of the road is a threat to your Car’s engine or not. This will definitely save you a lot from hungry roadside mechanical technicians.

4. Access to portable water:
if you are an average citizen and will probably depend on Government’s pipe borne water for survival, I think taking your time to find out if the pipes leading to your potential abode ain’t already destroyed by end-time road construction workers aint a bad idea after all.

5. Persistent disasters:
some areas are really attractive to armed robbers probably because of the success they’ve had in previous engagements in that particular area; while some area’s problem is flood, probably a water body/way is in close proximity. You don’t wanna be a victim, trust me!

6. Proximity to hospitals:
Could be a wife in Labour, a child in an emergency situation or even you, but in emergency really, why should you travel 1 hour before you could make use of a medical help?

7. Proximity to market:
Fetching raw foods and groceries can be energy intensive especially when it involves buying huge tubers of yam and bags of rice and beans this festive season. If you have a car no problem, but if you don’t, pity your wife!

Blessings as you prepare for Christmas and New Year!

Source:
https://naijacomet.com/2018/11/06/7-things-to-consider-before-renting-an-apartment/

The DOs and DON'T Landlord and landlady should make your list.

While looking for an apartment, one should consider the characters, rules and regulation of the landlord and landlady in question before taking up an apartment for rent especially residential apartment.

Although, almost all landlord and landlady have one rules or the other over their housing properties and their tenant that they rented out the apartment to.

There are some with extra judicial laws especially those that live with their tenant. As some of them breath over their tenant on a daily basis over apartment and compound issues.

These fire spitting landlord and landlady breath over their tenants over almost all issues in the compound.

They caution their tenant over almost everything in the compound or apartment.

Time to clocking in into the compound especially during night time.

The volume of music sound that should come out of your bedroom.

The category of visitors that should see you.

Some landlord and landlady do not give their house to bachelor or spinsters as some believe in married couple only.

Most landlord and landlady forbid trading or business around the premises including the rearing of poultry animals like chicken or livestocks such as goats and domestic pets such as cat, dog, parrot etc.

The security levee or watch night money to pay.

The dustbin level to pay.

The landlord or landlady regulate the time to switch off your generator set.

I am not saying this rules are wrong. They are actually right and it should be respected so long as it was given to the tenant.

But if you are the type of person that flout rules and do not want to obey rules then you the tenant will have misunderstanding with the landlord and or landlady.

Some tenants who have had this bad experience from a harsh landlord and landlady often look for houses that the owner is not staying in the very compound or close by so that they can have breathing space.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by LandOwners: 10:07am On Nov 06, 2018
Great thread but dont remain a tenant forever.
Work towards owning your own land to build a house of your own.

Check my signature for cheap lands
Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by ave4(f): 10:13am On Nov 06, 2018
You are quite right. Thieves came to where I live 2 weeks ago. I moved in about 2 months back and was relaxed until the robbery incident. I was told later by some residents that the house is prone to robbery attacks. And they have always succeeded in their mission.
Meanwhile,
the landlord still insists that such a thing has never happened! Well, I know who to believe because after the robbery I told the landlord that from the action and discussion of the robbers ,I have a feeling that the robbers were not first timers there, but he denied. I'm still moving this week by God's grace. Thanks for the post.
Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by pacespot(m): 10:18am On Nov 06, 2018
nice tips, thanks.

pls who knows the cost of a self-contain apartment with good toilet and bathroom in decent areas in Lagos
Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by timothydare(m): 10:27am On Nov 06, 2018
beta yan
Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by shakurkings(m): 10:32am On Nov 06, 2018
Bros, do not always jump into concluding people "don't know a thing about proper dog training". My Lhasa doesn't even step out of my flat unless I'm walking him. My Caucasian, according to my landlady is too big and scary. That's my dog's only offence.
frugal:

Probably constituting a nuisance. If your dogs are well trained and live indoors, you should have no issues. Sadly, most Nigerian dog owners don't know a thing about proper training and grooming of dogs.

I used to live in a 2 bedroom flat with two big German shepherds. 3 other tenants, including the landlady. No issues.
Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by shakurkings(m): 10:33am On Nov 06, 2018
I tire o [b][/b]
dangoteinlaw:
people still disapprove pets in 2018? She must be a witch to not like dogs.
Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by megareal: 10:40am On Nov 06, 2018
Most importantly, the neighborhood. We rented an apartment close to a so called local govt. Chairman. My room bordered his fence. I barely could stay there because of smoke from his kitchens even with the windows closed. . This family used firewood to cook 24/7. The earliest I could ever go to sleep in that room was 2.a.m. when they had put off their gen and gone to sleep.
I suffered ha.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by mcevans1(m): 10:43am On Nov 06, 2018
shakurkings:
My landlady is on my neck now because I have two dogs. We didn't agree on that before I moved in.

Same here but we are in good terms now
Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by Bluehill1051: 10:46am On Nov 06, 2018
shakurkings:
Stupid! U for keep 100 dogs na. Bastard!
Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by jojo1415: 10:50am On Nov 06, 2018
Proximity to Olosho quarters grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by Assassin101: 10:57am On Nov 06, 2018
proximity to a brothel
Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by izy4all(m): 11:13am On Nov 06, 2018
felixmuyiwa:
if there is church or mosque closed to the apartment

You are there..... this is number one in my checklist.
Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by seyigiggle: 11:28am On Nov 06, 2018
you may just have to solve the problem if possible.
i have lived in an apartment which was always robbed until i took it.
my first observation was on the window, i saw that it looked recently plastered and painted. so, i called the Landlord, but he denied it.
before moving in i did my personal survey of the property and realized that they was no barricade to stop anyone from going behind as that is the case. so, i blocked the passage with security wire, and after couple of months i brought in dogs.
I lived there more than 4years before moving out, and i was never robbed for once though my other neighbor were robbed before i brought in dogs.
to cut the long story short, within one week after i moved out, the robbing spree continued cheesy

ave4:
You are quite right. Thieves came to where I live 2 weeks ago. I moved in about 2 months back and was relaxed until the robbery incident. I was told later by some residents that the house is prone to robbery attacks. And they have always succeeded in their mission.
Meanwhile,
the landlord still insists that such a thing has never happened! Well, I know who to believe because after the robbery I told the landlord that from the action and discussion of the robbers ,I have a feeling that the robbers were not first timers there, but he denied. I'm still moving this week by God's grace. Thanks for the post.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by lukency(m): 11:29am On Nov 06, 2018
Availability of Otepus.
Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by EmirAbj: 11:34am On Nov 06, 2018
Closest To OLOSHO's MARKET Incase Of Emergency
Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by Edgarated(m): 11:39am On Nov 06, 2018
Not bad at all...

------
Are you in Nigeria/London But wants to get things done in London or the Uk?

kindly see this…
https://www.nairaland.com/4815910/nigeria-london-wants-get-things#7260539
Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by PHENOMCHICKSON: 11:58am On Nov 06, 2018
Enquire to know if there is huge accumulated NEPA bill by the past occupant. NEPA doesn't care if u are new or not. There bill must be paid
Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by nurez305(m): 12:47pm On Nov 06, 2018
pacespot:
nice tips, thanks.

pls who knows the cost of a self-contain apartment with good toilet and bathroom in decent areas in Lagos
for a decent mini flat In a decent around, you should budget atleast 250k... That is the minimum you will see
Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by mechanics(m): 1:18pm On Nov 06, 2018
True talk, power supply is also important.
Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by Abdulmsaidu(m): 1:20pm On Nov 06, 2018
It is also necessary to consider proper drainage system, else your area or just outside your gate will have waste water from neighbouring houses flowing across, on the ordinary ground.
Re: 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment by Kalashnikov102(m): 1:52pm On Nov 06, 2018
Let me jus add an 8.

K N O W
YOUR

FINANCIAL STATUS

Don't goan do the boys and big girls things.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Any Architects In The House? / Flood Overwhelms Asaba, Destroys Official Documents, Files, Homes / Lagos Proposes A Regional Masterplan For Ikorodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.