Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,540 members, 7,808,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:41 PM

For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? (2252 Views)

So I Was Just Exploiting The Capabilities Of Cloud Computing And C++ / Will There Still Be A Need For Programmers In The Future? / See Money Making Programmers In Nairalans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? by sparkle6(m): 4:02pm On Nov 07, 2018
Me first.
I think the ASUU strike is quite cool. Am exploiting this lil oppurtunity that ASUU Caused to learn some new things before school resumes proper.
Have already booked a space in a betting shop with constant electricity so that i can polish my coding skills a little. Am getting to learn php and mysql, i want more langs in my arsenal.
How about you?
*NB* Dont get me wrong, we are not praying for strikes but when one comes, we got to make good use of it.
Cc lalasticlala
cc seun
cc javanian

1 Like

Re: For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? by ogunsinamayowa(m): 10:34pm On Nov 07, 2018
sparkle6:
Me first.
I think the ASUU strike is quite cool. Am exploiting this lil oppurtunity that ASUU Caused to learn some new things before school resumes proper.
Have already booked a space in a betting shop with constant electricity so that i can polish my coding skills a little. Am getting to learn php and mysql, i want more langs in my arsenal.
How about you?
*NB* Dont get me wrong, we are not praying for strikes but when one comes, we got to make good use of it.
Cc lalasticlala
cc seun
cc javanian

Using the period to start a web application with django.
Re: For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? by akvocalz: 11:02pm On Nov 07, 2018
am keeping my self busy with python...
Re: For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? by Codedboy95(m): 8:14am On Nov 08, 2018
using the time to learn some frameworks and build my portfolio. cheesy
Re: For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? by Kamxin(m): 12:01pm On Nov 09, 2018
Do you live in Alimosho LGA: Ikotun, Idimu, Ijegun, Egbeda, Iyana-Ipaja?
Is your school on strike?
Learn Programming, Web, Graphics, Networking at the most affordable price.
@ 3 Webs Communication plc
Grin Grin us on 08027886496
Discount valid while the offer last.
Re: For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? by GreatAchiever1: 8:23pm On Nov 09, 2018
Learning scratch to gain knowledge of some programming logic cheesy...

Although done learning html nd css. Will start learning javascript nd jquery soon

1 Like

Re: For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? by TheManofTomorrow(m): 10:11pm On Nov 09, 2018
I really wish to advance my programming career but my system(dell) back up is bad. Can't do much without electricity. I will really appreciate it, ifsomeone can help me out sad

I pray the strike is not more than 2weeks tho
Re: For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? by Kamxin(m): 6:03am On Nov 10, 2018
TheManofTomorrow:
I really wish to advance my programming career but my system(dell) back up is bad. Can't do much without electricity. I will really appreciate it, ifsomeone can help me out sad

I pray the strike is not more than 2weeks tho

ASUU strike two weeks?
It takes 3 months for negotiation to start.
The negotiation and resolution takes nothing less than a month.

BTW you can use your phone to advance on Wordpress or other CMS.
Infact you have laptop, you can still achieve a lot.
Re: For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? by TheManofTomorrow(m): 9:57am On Nov 10, 2018
Kamxin:

ASUU strike two weeks?
It takes 3 months for negotiation to start.
The negotiation and resolution takes nothing less than a month.

BTW you can use your phone to advance on Wordpress or other CMS.
Infact you have laptop, you can still achieve a lot.
Is WordPress also a programing language. Started Python before we resumed. I will like to continue the path. BTW, what language are u learning or u already learnt?
Re: For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? by CodeTemplar: 3:35pm On Nov 10, 2018
The best use of this strike is to study some of your course works ahead of you. Any other use is secondary.
Re: For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? by Kamxin(m): 8:45pm On Nov 10, 2018
TheManofTomorrow:
Is WordPress also a programing language. Started Python before we resumed. I will like to continue the path. BTW, what language are u learning or u already learnt?

Wordpress is a content management system designed with php. purely for web. But python is a typical 21st century programming language. I have python, C#, VB, Java under my belt, but exploring some of the latest web technology from node.js to Google ads.
Life is sweet.
Re: For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? by Kamxin(m): 8:49pm On Nov 10, 2018
CodeTemplar:
The best use of this strike is to study some of your course works ahead of you. Any other use is secondary.

Correct, but man shall not live by study alone. Move into your field and start something practical, which is exactly how google and facebook was created.
Re: For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? by CodeTemplar: 9:07pm On Nov 10, 2018
Kamxin:

Correct, but man shall not live by study alone. Move into your field and start something practical, which is exactly how google and facebook was created.

That's why it is best to do something practical and related to your field of study. Like a Comp Science student study a language that's part of his syllabus.
Re: For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? by sparkle6(m): 3:36pm On Nov 11, 2018
CodeTemplar:

That's why it is best to do something practical and related to your field of study. Like a Comp Science student study a language that's part of his syllabus.
Am just tired of the damn syllabus filled with extinct langs. We still learning fotran while there are latest tech of p.langs. When our courses and its languages are just outdated what do you expect.
Javascript is the future,
Swift is the tomorrow,
Python is the present, Java is the past,
Lisp is the yesterday,
C++ is the midevial age.
1000 lines of Java vs 200 lines of python to make a simple tic tac toe game with no significant difference in processing speed.
To hell with java 11.
Just to pass exams sha. After that am ditching them.

1 Like

Re: For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? by GreatAchiever1: 4:18pm On Nov 11, 2018
sparkle6:

Am just tired of the damn syllabus filled with extinct langs. We still learning fotran while there are latest tech of p.langs. When our courses and its languages are just outdated what do you expect.
Swift is the tomorrow,
Lisp is the yesterday,
C++ is the midevial age.
1000 lines of Java vs 200 lines of python to make a simple tic tac toe game with no significant difference in processing speed.
To hell with java 11.

I thought I was the only one who doesn't like Java cheesy
c++ is still a powerful language tho especially in the AAA gaming sector
Re: For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? by YorubaEmir: 3:25pm On Nov 12, 2018
CodeTemplar:

And when you graduate with 2:2 , 2:1 , first class, what next?

The mistake we all made (excluding myself) was reading as if there is no life after school and "believing" we will get our dream job as soon as we are done with school. But the question remains, "what if the dream Job is not coming "? Do I posses any skill to put food on my table? For how long will I depend on my parents for money?

My bro, learning a skill to is not secondary.... It shows you're mature enough to face the reality of life! And the reality of life is that you might never get a white collar job grin And you parents will not always be there

Currently running a masters degree.... And guess what? I'm sponsoring myself... From a white collar? Hello no! But with my programming skills.
What am I currently doing with the ASUU break? Investing more time on my programming skills and living a life like a boss

3 Likes

Re: For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? by CodeTemplar: 3:44pm On Nov 12, 2018
YorubaEmir:

And when you graduate with 2:2 , 2:1 , first class, what next?

The mistake we all made (excluding myself) was reading as if there is no life after school and "believing" we will get our dream job as soon as we are done with school. But the question remains, "what if the dream Job is not coming "? Do I posses any skill to put food on my table? For how long will I depend on my parents for money?

My bro, learning a skill to is not secondary.... It shows you're mature enough to face the reality of life! And the reality of life is that you might never get a white collar job grin And you parents will not always be there

Currently running a masters degree.... And guess what? I'm sponsoring myself... From a white collar? Hello no! But with my programming skills.
What am I currently doing with the ASUU break? Investing more time on my programming skills and living a life like a boss
Who did you send as your errand boy to create jobs for you?
Was government there when your father and mother were fighting kung fu nakéd?
If truly you earned that degree you won't need to depend on anyone for a job. Except few folks who read courses like history and inter relations most degree holders can afford to go into a venture with their skilled acquired.
Re: For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? by YorubaEmir: 4:52pm On Nov 12, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Who did you send as your errand boy to create jobs for you?
Was government there when your father and mother were fighting kung fu nakéd?
If truly you earned that degree you won't need to depend on anyone for a job. Except few folks who read courses like history and inter relations most degree holders can afford to go into a venture with their skilled acquired.

I can tell you as an electrical engineer who studied in one of the most prestigious universities in Nigeria and graduated with a nice grade, I wasn't taught any skill in the four walls of the university. I was only taught mathematics and how to crack stubborn equations. I wasn't shown the real life application. Was I taught how to solder components? Write computer machine codes, robotics, facial and voice and recognition, design inverters, biometric sensors, cells and mobile communication? was I taught how to use softwares and different integrated circuits to design real life gadgets? These are things "study hard and cover the course outlines " couldn't teach us. These were regarded as secondary when some of us went outside the school curriculum to learn. Some of us missed classes to learn basic hardware simulation while our mates were trying to impress the university with good grades grin

I remember how I used to help final year students with high CGPA with their projects while I was in second year. Some of them have graduated with a B. Eng and are still looking for employment while myself on the other hand have graduated and have become employer of labour even before I graduated. My children will start learning programming as soon as they start talking grin

5 Likes

Re: For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? by Vichin: 9:54am On Nov 14, 2018
sparkle6:

Swift is the tomorrow,
Lisp is the yesterday,
C++ is the midevial age.
To hell with java 11.
I feel your pain bro...How can a university still be teaching qbasic and Fortran
Re: For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? by asalimpo(m): 2:44pm On Mar 13, 2019
sparkle6:

Swift is the tomorrow,
Lisp is the yesterday,
C++ is the midevial age.
To hell with java 11.
if they teach u java,then, u hav nothing to gripe about. Your school curriculum is still modern.
Re: For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? by asalimpo(m): 2:51pm On Mar 13, 2019
YorubaEmir:

I can tell you as an electrical engineer who studied in one of the most prestigious universities in Nigeria and graduated with a nice grade, I wasn't taught any skill in the four walls of the university. I was only taught mathematics and how to crack stubborn equations. I wasn't shown the real life application. Was I taught how to solder components? Write computer machine codes, robotics, facial and voice and recognition, design inverters, biometric sensors, cells and mobile communication? was I taught how to use softwares and different integrated circuits to design real life gadgets? These are things "study hard and cover the course outlines " couldn't teach us. These were regarded as secondary when some of us went outside the school curriculum to learn. Some of us missed classes to learn basic hardware simulation while our mates were trying to impress the university with good grades grin

I remember how I used to help final year students with high CGPA with their projects while I was in second year. Some of them have graduated with a B. Eng and are still looking for employment while myself on the other hand have graduated and have become employer of labour even before I graduated. My children will start learning programming as soon as they start talking grin
are u telling me that a reputed ee program cant teach you how to create basic electronic compinents inspite of the years so invested? Can u create an inverter! Man,you the bomb! Can some1 teach himself those stuffz without going to uni? I know one can self study programming.
Re: For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? by asalimpo(m): 2:57pm On Mar 13, 2019
GreatAchiever1:

I thought I was the only one who doesn't like Java cheesy
c++ is still a powerful language tho especially in the AAA gaming sector
i swear by java,i'm suprised it gets so much hate. What's it about d lang that trips ppl up? I find it very well designed nd thought out. Maybe worse (python) really is better in d software world
Re: For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? by GreatAchiever1: 9:11pm On Mar 20, 2019
asalimpo:

i swear by java,i'm suprised it gets so much hate. What's it about d lang that trips ppl up? I find it very well designed nd thought out. Maybe worse (python) really is better in d software world

Lol.. Java is a really amazing language, I might still learn it very well in d future. God willing

(1) (Reply)

Remitly Review - Can I Use It? / Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 Results / Help...my Facebook Account Keeps Saying This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.