Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,263 members, 7,780,591 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:05 PM

New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC (16383 Views)

Imo: NLC Vows To Go Ahead With Strike, Despite Court Order / Why We Called Off Election Boycott- IPOB / New Minimum Wage: FG Announces Decision On Workers’ Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by 19Ebisco: 7:37am On Nov 08, 2018
Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) in Enugu State, Comrade Virginius Nwobodo, has explained why labour halted the planned strike despite non immediate implementation of the new minimum wage.

Nwobodo in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday also spoke on labour’s plan to ensure states pay whatever is implemented by the federal government.

He said: “I must also commend the National leaders of NLC for deciding to suspend the strike since the tripartite committee had shown interest in convening and concluding their report.

“The decision to suspend the strike was the best thing the NLC leadership did because what is the essence of the strike again when our demand that prompted the planned strike had been met.

“If we had gone ahead with the strike pending the time the wage would be implemented, Nigerians will see us as insensitive to national issues and causing economic sabotage.”

Nwobodo said he was optimistic that the minimum wage would be fully implemented before the end of the month if the government was really sincere and interested in redeeming its image.

He urged that the speed with which the government had employed in addressing the issue should be maintained until its full implementation.

The Chairman said there would be mechanisms to ensure full enforcement and compliance at the state level if the minimum wage should be eventually implemented.

“There will be no sacred cow when it comes to the implementation of the new minimum wage regardless of whether the state governors agree or not,” he said.

He allayed the fears of those that are skeptical that such benefit was meant for the federal workers only and not the state since the governors had proposed a different amount.

“I assure you that nothing of such will happen. All workers in Nigeria will be beneficiaries of the new minimum wage and anything aside that will be resisted,” Nwobodo said.

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/11/new-minimum-wage-why-we-called-off.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by iamvictorbassey: 7:41am On Nov 08, 2018
At a time like this I feel confused on what to say as to who is supposed to shift grounds.

Why increase minimum wage, then increase everything alongside? Like Driver's license, tax, plate numbers, import duty etc thus making the money meaningless.

I would have wished for the government to rather add value to the money, (maybe $1=#100).So that #18,000 would be worth present day #64,800. But not in this country. If we wait for that people would have died already.

Senators and governors salary plus allowances in Nigeria aren't known. They're only speculated. Let's assume a senator earns 20M monthly and allowances up to 5M. That'll be 25M.

Which means if you work as an #18,000 recipient all your life, you would have only ended up earning a total of #21,600,000 (100years which is impossible). Not up to a senator's 1 month take home.

If you divide 25M by #18000 that is 1,389 peoples salary. Multiplied by over 100 senators, 200 H of Rep Members, and 36 Governors. That's about 466,666people's salary. Haba!

We're our own problem. We vote rogues to represent us, while professors observe as collating officers.

We can't sow yam and expect beans.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:42am On Nov 08, 2018
HOW THE COUNTRY CAN PAY MINIMUM WAGE COMFORTABLY..........

1. Abolish SECURITY VOTE in NIGERIA. Nigeria will pay N45,000 minimum wage comfortably.

2. a) Abolish CONSTITUENCY PROJECT FUNDS
b) Reduce no of ADVISERS to SENATE PRES(2), HOUSE SPEAKER(2), GOVs(4), PRESIDENT(5), VP(2)
c) Reduce current ALL Political Office Holders PAY CHEQUES by 51.5%, without exception
d) Do away with special remuneration to POLITICAL ADVISERS & PUBLIC SERVANTS eg; Purchase of Private Vehicles, Houses, granting Govt paid Vacations, paying for 1st & Business Class Transportations, etc, etc...
e) Abolish payment of OVERSEAS MEDICAL BILLS for Political Office Holders
f) Eliminate PRIVATE PRACTICE in public workforce
g) Eliminate participation of Public Workforce in Partisan Politics
h) Institute EMPLOYMENT BY MERIT, and eliminate UNDEREMPLOYMENT
i) Review and eliminate allocation of Govt paid POLITICAL AIDES & SUPPORT STAFF to Political Office Holders.

With (1) + (2) Nigeria would pay a minimum wage of N65,000 comfortably

3. Move Nigeria MORE to Private Sector Driven Economy
a) Privatise ALL of Federal Govt PARASTATALS & reduce Federal Direct Funded AGENCIES to 68% of the present.
b) Privatise ALL of STATE Govt PARASTATALS & reduce State Direct Funded AGENCIES to 19% of the present.
c) Reduce current DIRECT LABOUR JOB participation by 49%
d) Encourage more Working Hours until Nigerian economic stabilizes
e) Discourage UNIONISM in Public Workforce

With (1) + (2) + (3), Nigeria would pay a minimum wage of N101,500 comfortably.

4) Institute DEATH PENALTY to proven THEFT OF PUBLIC FUNDS no matter how little, and LIFE Jail Sentences for COLLABORATORS.

With (1) + (2) + (3) & (4), Nigeria would pay a minimum wage of N203,500 comfortably.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by itiswellandwell: 7:42am On Nov 08, 2018
Hmm
Re: New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by promisious: 7:42am On Nov 08, 2018
H
Re: New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by Jh0wsef(m): 7:42am On Nov 08, 2018
Re: New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by slawomir: 7:43am On Nov 08, 2018
Isoright
Re: New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by laidian(m): 7:44am On Nov 08, 2018
ok
Re: New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by baliyubla: 7:46am On Nov 08, 2018
Una no well. Watch how everyone ignores the useless labour when they threaten another strike, over the dullards refusal to pay 30k. This dumb NLC just sold itself.

4 Likes

Re: New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by Cloud007: 7:46am On Nov 08, 2018
how so called wise old people go con plenty and mumu together.....all at once ohhh shocked.

you have been scammed angry

you surrendered your power when you called off the strike.

1 Like

Re: New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by rrikado(m): 7:46am On Nov 08, 2018
Shame to ipob nd God bless pmb

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by princeade86(m): 7:48am On Nov 08, 2018
toothless lion
Re: New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by Datdeltagirl(f): 7:49am On Nov 08, 2018
Ok

Re: New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by Racoon(m): 7:53am On Nov 08, 2018
Once beaten twice shy.Labour is yet to learn from the inconsistency of the APC government as far as keeping to promise is concern.

1 Like

Re: New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by Roadto2019: 7:54am On Nov 08, 2018
post=72779899:

1. Abolish SECURITY VOTE in NIGERIA. Nigeria will pay N45,000 minimum wage comfortably.

b) Reduce no of ADVISERS to SENATE PRES(2), HOUSE SPEAKER(2), GOVs(4), PRESIDENT(5), VP(2)
c) Reduce current ALL Political Office Holders PAY CHEQUES by 51.5%, without exception
d) Do away with special remuneration to POLITICAL ADVISERS & PUBLIC SERVANTS eg; Purchase of Private Vehicles, Houses, granting Govt paid Vacations, paying for 1st & Business Class Transportations, etc, etc...
i) Review and eliminate allocation of Govt paid POLITICAL AIDES & SUPPORT STAFF to Political Office Holders.

a) Privatise ALL of Federal Govt PARASTATALS & reduce Federal Direct Funded AGENCIES to 68% of the present.
b) Privatise ALL of STATE Govt PARASTATALS & reduce State Direct Funded AGENCIES to 19% of the present.

4) Institute DEATH PENALTY to proven THEFT OF PUBLIC FUNDS no matter how little, and LIFE Jail Sentences for COLLABORATORS.

With (1) + (2) + (3) & (4), Nigeria would pay a minimum wage of N203,500 comfortably.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA
This is the only Buharists I like. He sometimes make sense. Bro,keep it up. I think Christian Buharists do use their brain.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by CJAYseven: 7:55am On Nov 08, 2018
I'm other words envelope changed hands
Re: New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by sambrow(m): 7:58am On Nov 08, 2018
Very correct
post=72779899:

GOD BLESS NIGERIA

2 Likes

Re: New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by Bambambiglo: 8:04am On Nov 08, 2018
Incompetent labour union.. mtcheww

1 Like

Re: New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by Talknochip(m): 8:10am On Nov 08, 2018
Roadto2019:

This is the only Buharists I like. He sometimes make sense. Bro,keep it up. I think Christian Buharists do use their brain.
True! This one has small conscience
Re: New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:17am On Nov 08, 2018
Roadto2019:

Thanks for the heads up.
Anyone that support Buhari makes sense to us tho.

A better Nigeria is all we pray for.
Stay blessed bro.
sambrow:
Very correct
Good to know you reason with it also.
Roadto2019:

Not all. Some supported Ganduje but I noticed you didn't. Keep up the good works. Can I get free BBQ?
We will never support any corrupt politician, no matter the party they are!

About Free Barbecue? Anytime bro!  wink
Re: New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by Talknochip(m): 8:17am On Nov 08, 2018
The APC leadership has been using 'Taqiya' on Nigerians since inception! God save Us... NLC fall mugu sha..... No one will take them serious again
Re: New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:18am On Nov 08, 2018
Talknochip:
True! This one has small conscience
Lol cheesy wink grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by OBAGADAFFI: 8:23am On Nov 08, 2018
grin
Re: New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by Nobody: 8:25am On Nov 08, 2018
iamvictorbassey:
At a time like this I feel confused on what to say as to who is supposed to shift grounds.

Why increase minimum wage, then increase everything alongside? Like Driver's license, tax, plate numbers, import duty etc thus making the money meaningless.

I would have wished for the government to rather add value to the money, (maybe $1=#100).So that #18,000 would be worth present day #64,800. But not in this country. If we wait for that people would have died already.

Senators and governors salary plus allowances in Nigeria aren't known. They're only speculated. Let's assume a senator earns 20M monthly and allowances up to 5M. That'll be 25M.

Which means if you work as an #18,000 recipient all your life, you would have only ended up earning a total of #21,600,000 (100years which is impossible). Not up to a senator's 1 month take home.

If you divide 25M by #18000 that is 1,389 peoples salary. Multiplied by over 100 senators, 200 H of Rep Members, and 36 Governors. That's about 466,666people's salary. Haba!

We're our own problem. We vote rogues to represent us, while professors observe as collating officers.

We can't sow yam and expect beans.

Many people can't see this and it makes me sad. The money would further be devalued and it's multiplier effect is inflation and many won't be able to travel abroad.

2 Likes

Re: New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by Roadto2019: 8:27am On Nov 08, 2018
post=72780937:

Thanks for the heads up.
Anyone that support Buhari makes sense to us tho.

A better Nigeria is all we pray for.
Stay blessed bro.

Good to know you reason with it also.
Not all. Some supported Ganduje but I noticed you didn't. Keep up the good works. Can I get free BBQ?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG Pays ASUU Half Salary For October / Governor Shettima Honours Bola Tinubu With A State Dinner In Borno (Photos) / Tinubu Blasts PDP, Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.