Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,809 members, 7,806,263 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:42 PM

Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech (2580 Views)

Tope Aluko Escape DSS Arrest As Channels TV Staff Helps Him / Buhari Defies Rain In Cross River, Shuns Helicopter / President Buhari Visits Cross River State (Live Updates) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by Nobody: 1:56am On Jul 22, 2010
[size=18pt]IBM helps Cross River varsity on modern tech
[/size]

Having worked through the months to successfully complete another program of corporate citizenship activity in Nigeria aimed at helping Cross River State compete in a global marketplace, IBM consultants have helped the Cross River State University of Technology in the implementation of modern processes and technologies to ensure the effective running of the university and to train staff in the latest IT based approaches including database management and open source software.

However, over the past months, twelve IBM consultants from nine different countries have worked along side with the Cross River State Government and the state owned University of Technology to support local organizations and government departments with implementing new processes and technologies and developing skills.

Similarly, following on the work started by a previous IBM CSC team, IBM consultants have helped the Cross River State ICT Development Department create an information technology framework to better manage the state computer network so that eighteen different government departments can collaborate more effectively. IBM’s consultants also supported with the training of the department’s staff.

“IBM is well known for helping public and private sector organizations and companies around the world to leverage technology to drive innovation and do things smarter,” Remi Abere

Corporate Citizenship & Corporate Affairs Manager, IBM West Africa, told IT journalists last week in a ceremony to take stock of their experiences during the time in question.

“In bringing the Corporate Service Corps Program to Nigeria we have been able to offer our wealth of skills and experience to benefit local communities so that they can grow, prosper and compete in a global economy. IBM also benefits from the experience by growing its next generation of leaders with the skills required to lead in a globally integrated world.”

“The IBM teams have had a profound impact on the region by bringing highly valued skills on local projects and helping to transfer those skills to emerging centers of business across Africa,” Deidre White, president of the CDC Development Solutions, the Washington-based Organization which has partnered with IBM for this initiative across Africa said, adding that , “The result has been to significantly advance projects that will have a sustained impact in the community and help lay the foundations for a 21st century global enterprise.”

The Nigerian initiative is part of a program of African activity during which IBM has deployed teams of its employees to South Africa, Tanzania and Ghana as well as Nigeria.

For one thing, the Corporate Service Corps (CSC) is global IBM initiative designed to provide small businesses, educational institutions and non_profit organizations in growth markets with sophisticated business consulting and skills development to help improve local conditions and foster job creation.

IBM deploys teams of top employees from around the world representing IT, research, marketing, finance, and business development to growth markets for a period of one month.

The employees work pro bono with local organizations and businesses on projects that intersect business, technology and society.

This current activity is part of a program which began eleven_months ago and during which IBM has deployed over forty consultants to work on twenty-three projects in areas key to the development of Cross River State including: Information and Communication Technology (ICT), Social Welfare, Public Transportation, Agriculture, Tourism, Forestry, Finance, Academia, Investment Promotion and Health. Together, the projects represent approximately 7500 hours of business and IT advisory services delivered by IBM in Cross River State during this period.

Meanwhile, the most recent IBM teams in Cross River State have worked on the following projects:

Cross River State Ministry of Agriculture:

IBM CSC consultants have worked to strengthen the strategy and processes of the Planning, Research and Statistics (PRS) Department. One of the areas looked at was the use of modern technologies to assist in the generation, analysis and storage of data to enable the ministry to make fact_based decisions. The IBM team also made recommendations about the use of wireless, hand_held devices by field officers to help with the accurate and timely input of agricultural data.

Cross River State Ministry of Finance:

IBM CSC consultants have worked closely with the Ministry of Finance to help apply the latest technologies to help transform the ministry, increasing transparency, improving accountability and ensuring the equitable distribution of financial resources.

Cross River State Forestry Commission :

Following on the work started by a previous IBM CSC team, IBM consultants have helped pave the way to digitize the Forestry Commission’s communication and data systems to help better map and manage forest reserves in Cross River State.

Cross River State Department of Public Transportation:

Following on the work started by a previous IBM CSC team, IBM consultants have worked with the Department of Public Transportation Management and Operations to use information technologies to help lay the foundations for an efficient Public Transportation System. One of the areas explored was the use of internet based technologies to create transportation maps that can aid the running and marketing of the system.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/jul/21/301.html
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by dayokanu(m): 4:10am On Jul 22, 2010
Pls whats with the threads you keep opening every minute even mamagee wasnt this bad angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by CyberG: 4:19am On Jul 22, 2010
@Forum, apologies for this minor distraction of the thread but. . .

Ileke, I have been looking for FL Gators on this NL for a while now but she seems to have disappeared? Are you she or should I wait for another?  grin grin Your style of posting seems so similar but I'd like to know and if the change of ID is part of some "covert operation", you can let me know by email.
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by dayokanu(m): 4:25am On Jul 22, 2010
Look at the yansh in the profile pic and you would see the similarity
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by bawomolo(m): 4:59am On Jul 22, 2010
^^

i see nothing
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by Nobody: 5:01am On Jul 22, 2010
cant believe that out of 4 responses, none addressed the topic. 

#cyberg
I dont know a FL Gators
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by canuck(m): 5:46am On Jul 22, 2010
@CyberG

With over 54 posts a day, Ileke-Idi is definitely a NL 'old wine in new wineskin' - Newbies don't post with such ferocity!

@Topic

Very commendable, but IBM does not stand for International Boyscouts of Mugus! smiley They are probably charging Cross River State Government outrageous amounts for a managed services contract, IBM's bread and butter.

At least, they feel obliged to give something back to the community!
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by CyberG: 5:46am On Jul 22, 2010
dayokanu:

Dayo, thanks jare. . .they definitely are the same but since she denies, nothing doing! Oja oyingbo. . .
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by canuck(m): 5:49am On Jul 22, 2010
And this topic is worthy of the front page
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by Nobody: 5:54am On Jul 22, 2010
canuck:

And this topic is worthy of the front page
Obviously. . . . do you decide what goes on the front page?
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by Nobody: 8:46am On Jul 22, 2010
dayokanu:

all i see is fl going downtown
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by mrperfect(m): 9:46am On Jul 22, 2010
This is a welcome development.
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by oluagness(m): 10:13am On Jul 22, 2010
Good
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by JUO(m): 11:16am On Jul 22, 2010
good news but who will be the contractor black or white where money no go borrow leg?
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by canuck(m): 1:43pm On Jul 22, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Obviously. . . . do you decide what goes on the front page?

Abi o! Don't mind Canuck jare smiley
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by oludimuni: 1:55pm On Jul 22, 2010
Kind gesture. I hope afterall, this effort will improve the standards of living of people.
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jul 22, 2010
oyb:

all i see is fl going downtown
You no dey disappoint. ah ahn! How did I know you'd show up here?
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by toluxa1(m): 2:58pm On Jul 22, 2010
Na wa for this poster o. 55 post per day shocked shocked shocked
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by kcblast(m): 3:33pm On Jul 22, 2010
no matter what shocked, that monster(ibb) shouldn"t be in dat seat again angry angry angry angry
nooooooooooooooooooonsense angry
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by kcblast(m): 3:35pm On Jul 22, 2010
no matter what shocked, that monster(ibb) shouldn"t be in dat seat again angry angry angry angry
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by Da360: 3:39pm On Jul 22, 2010
just 2day, this motherfuckin goddamned ibb was being campaigned 4 in onitsha. i can"t even believe ma eye!
whewww!! embarassed embarassed
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by lekside44(m): 4:58pm On Jul 22, 2010
this is good news 4 nigeria. we are gradually moving into the digital divide age
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jul 22, 2010
kc-blast:

Da_360:

just 2day, this motherfuckin goddamned ibb was being campaigned 4 in onitsha. i can"t even believe ma eye!
whewww!! embarassed embarassed

Oh my!!!

Did you guys read the article at all?

IBM is NOT IBB.
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by denzel2009: 6:35pm On Jul 22, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Oh my!!!

Did you guys read the article at all?

IBM is NOT IBB.
Whats the difference? They are both manipulators cheesy
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jul 22, 2010
denzel2009:

Whats the difference? They are both manipulators cheesy
LOL. . . . I'd take IBM over IBB anytime anyday.
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by denzel2009: 6:38pm On Jul 22, 2010
^^^I will take Ibb cos I will be able to buy multiple IBMs
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jul 22, 2010
LOL Future OLE of nIgeria. Carry on grin
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by denzel2009: 6:53pm On Jul 22, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

LOL Future OLE of nIgeria. Carry on grin

I will award you multi-million dollar contracts to supply ileke to all the opekes in Nigeria so that we can have abundant bum shakers cheesy
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jul 22, 2010
lol you're not serious
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by ikenwan: 7:03pm On Jul 22, 2010
This is pretty good news. If Nigerian companies can produce these technologies, using Nigerian minerals, we could build whole industries within the country based on them. Maybe, even export them, similar to China. This is very good news. Of course, now, it all depends on the students retaining what they've learned and developing the hacker mindset.
Re: Ibm Helps Cross River Varsity On Modern Tech by mamagee3(f): 8:40pm On Jul 22, 2010
dayokanu:

Pls whats with the threads you keep opening every minute even mamagee wasnt this bad angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Must you call me? angry angry angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Saharareporters: Picture Of Children Registering In Kano / Tinubu Urges Us To Assist Nigeria’s Anti-terrorism War / Enugu, Anambra At War Over Oil Blocs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.