Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,867 members, 7,798,892 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:50 AM

Chinese Employers Sack Nigerian Employees Over Refusal To Practice Buddhism - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Chinese Employers Sack Nigerian Employees Over Refusal To Practice Buddhism (281 Views)

Refusal To Obey Court Order Is Corruption – Emir Of Gummi / Offa Robbery: Bank Sacks Employees Over CCTV Footage Leakage / "My Refusal To Have Sex Landed Me In Kirikiri"; Lady Arrested By Police. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Chinese Employers Sack Nigerian Employees Over Refusal To Practice Buddhism by highyo: 7:45am On Nov 09, 2018
Employees of a Chinese firm, Yiwu Baolian Import and Export Company Limited, have accused the chief executive officer, Fanni Lijuan, of sacking some of their colleagues who refused to practise Buddhism.

The employees told PUNCH Metro that Lijuan, who introduced Buddhism at the company’s office on Irede Road, Abule Osun, in the Ojo Local Government Area of Lagos State, allegedly compelled them to bow to worship her Buddha, adding that those who refused were being sacked.

One of the employees, who identified himself simply as Olaniyi, alleged that the ‘strange’ instruction of the CEO was meant to convert them to Buddhism, adding that two staff members who refused to comply had already been sacked.

He said, “The issue is that Fanni Lijuan brought Buddhism to the office; she puts us in front of a projector that showed us how to practise Buddhism and we were asked to bow to the teacher. They also read some books to us, but before reading, we were asked to bow three times.

“Employees who refused to bow have been sacked; in fact, last week Monday, they sacked two people and the company’s excuse was that it was restructuring and it did not need the affected workers’ services anymore. The workers were sacked because they refused to bow down; and after the company sacked them, the management threatened other employees that if we did not bow to the teacher, we would be similarly sacked.”

Peter added, “She (Lijuan) usually says bowing is a sign of respect and the practise is for us to be good persons. But does it mean that the people they employed don’t have respect before now? Is it that adults who have graduated from the university do not have respect? She’s trying to convert us to Buddhism; this is wrong and against our religions and traditions in Nigeria, where freedom of worship is guaranteed.

“For instance, when we were in school, they would tell us to join social clubs and before you know it, you are into cultism; that’s exactly what she is doing and we are trying to avoid it. Even the manager, who is supposed to stand up for us, gave in because she threatened to sack him.”

PUNCH Metro learnt that some of the workers, out of fear of losing their jobs, had started bowing, while those who refused were allegedly being sacked.

One of the sacked employees, who asked to remain anonymous, alleged that Lijuan introduced Buddhism in 2017.

The former employee said, “Our madam started this Buddhism practise in the office last year; she started by giving us lectures and asked us to be taking notes. We also listened to voices we didn’t know. Recently, she got to the stage of asking us to bow, but I refused. So, she gave me one month’s salary and sacked me and some others.

“When they laid me off, I was not bothered because I am not ready to bow to anything other than God. Even if she didn’t sack me, I would have quit. But the danger is that some workers have already compromised; they have bowed because they don’t want to be sacked; and now, they are working in fear.

“This is bad; we can’t be in our country and be treated like that. In Nigeria, nobody can force you to worship their gods. It is only in Nigeria that a foreigner will come to do something like that. The reason you still have some people in that company is because there are no jobs outside there; we are suffering.”

Another sacked employee, Raphael Ewiri, said Lijuan got angry with him when every effort to cajole him to adopt the practise of bowing proved abortive.

The former storekeeper of the company said, “Mrs Fanni Lijuan told everyone of us that there was a new way of showing humility according to the Chinese tradition and that we had to bow three times before and after lectures in appreciation of the Chinese sages that brought about the wisdom that had been in existence for 4,000 to 5,000 years. I felt like why should I bow three times before and after lectures?

“She feels not bowing is a sign of pride; she called me to her office one day and asked why we were not bowing. She was trying to cajole me that it was not religious, but a sign of humility.

“One day, Mrs Lijuan brought me out in front of everybody; the auditor said we should all bow to the ancient, saying she was expecting me to bow. I didn’t because I never promised her that i would bow. So, when she took the first bow, she was surprised that I didn’t bow; she was very annoyed.”

The Delta State indigene, who charged the government to investigate the matter, said Lijuan knew he was supposed to go on leave but postponed it and eventually sacked him.

When PUNCH Metro visited Yiwu Baolian Import and Export Company Limited, on Plot 36 Irede Road, Abule Osun, Ojo, Lagos, Lijuan denied introducing Buddhism in the company, adding that she wanted the employees to bow as a sign of humility, because they were arrogant.

She stated that she never sacked anyone because of religion, adding that she had fostered harmony among different religions.

Lijuan said, “I never introduced Buddhism; they are just lying. What I observed is that some of the workers are very arrogant; even their body language shows that they are not respectful. So, we are learning some ways of living; humility and respect; and what I want them to do is a sign of humility – bow your body and stop being arrogant.

“I did not sack anyone because they did not bow; it is totally wrong. I never told anyone to leave Christianity or Islam to practise any other religion. We have Christians and Muslims in the company; I am a Buddhist and I want to create harmony among the different religions; that’s what I want to do in this company.”

source
http://abujareporters.com.ng/chinese-employers-sack-nigerian-employees-over-refusal-to-practice-buddhism/
Re: Chinese Employers Sack Nigerian Employees Over Refusal To Practice Buddhism by tsephanyah(f): 7:50am On Nov 09, 2018
China making bold moves, US is not bullying them enough
Re: Chinese Employers Sack Nigerian Employees Over Refusal To Practice Buddhism by Nbote(m): 7:50am On Nov 09, 2018
Jus imagine... D excesses of most of these expatriates is becoming insulting..
Re: Chinese Employers Sack Nigerian Employees Over Refusal To Practice Buddhism by Mynd44: 7:51am On Nov 09, 2018

(1)

Photo: 80-year-old American Woman Arrested For Allegedly Conspiring With Her Nig / 62-year Old Woman Roasts Her Granddaughter’s Hand For Stealing Meat In Ghana / Police Punish 28 Officers, Nab 124 Suspected Cultists In Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.