Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,465 members, 7,808,654 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:56 PM

Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! (4925 Views)

Why Did Nairaland Programming Section Died. / Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 Results / My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by bolkay47(m): 7:16am On Nov 23, 2018
dhtml1818:
This is looking interesting still, I have a proposition to make here

Cat A - design a desktop application that can be used to access my website

Cat B - design a mobile application (native/hybrid/android/ios) that can be used to access my website

Cat C - design a user interface for my website (plus/minus functionalities) that can be used to improve what we have already

Here is my rewarding system:

[Cat A]
If your desktop application is cool, and I end up using it for my website, then you will have won 50k for yourself in addition to whatever you get for the competition

[Cat B]
If you can come up with a good mobile application that I can actually use for the website, then you will win 50k as well

[Cat C]
If you come up with a cool user-interface that I find useful, you will win 50k as well

It is called a WAGGER. If I can find people in the three categories that impress me, then 3 people are going to be winning 50k each making it a total of 150k that I am willing to give out.

Good morning!
I don't seem to understand what you mean by "access my website".
How do we get data from your website? Do you provide an API or something to aid development? If no, just data scraping?
Please can you expatiate? Thanks.
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by Nobody: 7:33am On Nov 23, 2018
bolkay47:

Good morning!
I don't seem to understand what you mean by "access my website".
How do we get data from your website? Do you provide an API or something to aid development? If no, just data scraping?
Please can you expatiate? Thanks.
thats a good question I was about to Contact him.
how do we improve your website layout? will you supply us with your original code so we can improve on it? or we create something different entirely.
as Beginners, we Cannot clone your site you know, besides its a crime
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by bolkay47(m): 7:44am On Nov 23, 2018
zerozz:

how do we improve your website layout? will you supply us with your original code so we can improve on it? or we create something different entirely.
Exactly.
I'm pretty surprised nobody has asked this question. We need this information to get started.
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by afonja112: 8:22am On Nov 23, 2018
Good morning people, I was feeling sleepy at the time. This is a very important question that we need an answer to before we proceed.
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by silento(m): 9:05am On Nov 23, 2018
I think for cat a is web scraping
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by afonja112: 9:09am On Nov 23, 2018
lordweezy:
i will sponsor the competition. message me on whatsapp +855962641465.

my terms are I want developers to target building a data recording and mining app for Nigerian government. Am tired of a country where the pvc, national id card and bvn is not merged. I want developers to merge these and let's give it to the Nigerian government free or for a royalty.

the benefits are: if these are merged, we know who is citizen, banks know when you have loan from anyone. government knows when you working or not,citizens can access loans easily, we can lobby for national health insurance for all citizens, we can also lobby for educational loan from government or banks,if more development like government transport systems comes e.g government owns the entire means of transport. simple you buy state monthly subscription and go to work daily with or without cash using this new id card.

my desire is to see a better Nigeria and technology can take us further than we can imagine.

I only sponsor good projects.
I have been looking at this stuff, it is too big to put into a simple competition like this. But let us see how the competition goes, based on the performance, we can see if we can set this one up as another competition too ----> though for intermediates (not beginners)
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by dhtml1818: 9:30am On Nov 23, 2018
Ah I forgot, there is a RESTFUL API, I just need to document it. There is even a GRAPHQL API - but let us not use that one.

Anyone can call the Restful API whether it is desktop or a mobile app. See the homepage for example, it is always updating automatically without reloading via ajax once there is new content whether post/comment.

I will finish the documentation of the API sharp sharp and communicate with you guys.
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by bolkay47(m): 9:47am On Nov 23, 2018
Thanks! cool
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by willo4eva(m): 10:00am On Nov 23, 2018
Please let it start soonest. I'm in for the Web!
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by Chatflick(m): 10:44am On Nov 23, 2018
zerozz:

You do not need his original code in order to improve on his website layout. Like he said earlier, be creative. Besides that is something you can simply look at and make do on your own.
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by dhtml1818: 10:59am On Nov 23, 2018
Wait, for the website people, what you need basically is an interface, shebi you guys use to see themes on sites like themeforest like http://preview.themeforest.net/item/tiger-social-network-theme-for-companies-professionals/full_screen_preview/16203995?_ga=2.243484813.906575571.1542905862-237061046.1542011313

I am not saying you should do this o, just do a theme. No php functionality required, just look at the website, and see how you can improve the UI.
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by 0r30: 11:33am On Nov 23, 2018
dhtml1818:
Wait, for the website people, what you need basically is an interface, shebi you guys use to see

We await the target website, and as well the REST API.
this should be interesting..

afonja112:

I have seen some !=beginner level programmers participating in this task ,
What are the policies put in place to make sure small boys like us stands a chance? cry cry
By now, we should have seen a list successfully screened of participants mentioned in the main post..
When the contest eventually kicks off, how long have we got to put our work together and submit?

If it pleases the organizers, i have this little suggestion to make;
After getting all set and done (talking about the website, and REST API), don't release it yet, lets make sure all contestants are aware of the date for commencement. this can be done by making a post mentioning successfully screened contestants and asking them to quote the post with a 'present' or 'checked in' reply(whatever works for you). because most persons are yet to know we have even gotten to this point. i would suggest it kicks off next week, so those who may not have been checking this thread daily would have more than enough time to have gotten the info and also, most of us that will have to hustle for data, PC, Electricity would have sorted ourselves out.

my2cent,
Thank you.
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by Chatflick(m): 11:41am On Nov 23, 2018
dhtml1818:
Wait, for the website people, what you need basically is an interface, shebi you guys use to see themes on sites like themeforest like http://preview.themeforest.net/item/tiger-social-network-theme-for-companies-professionals/full_screen_preview/16203995?_ga=2.243484813.906575571.1542905862-237061046.1542011313

I am not saying you should do this o, just do a theme. No php functionality required, just look at the website, and see how you can improve the UI.
Please are we to do mobile and desktop version or can we simply put it in one thereby making the UI very responsive abi?
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by dhtml1818: 11:50am On Nov 23, 2018
Let us keep it simple, a good responsive something is enough.
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by 0r30: 11:51am On Nov 23, 2018
dhtml1818:
Let us keep it simple, a good responsive something is enough.

i quoted you above sir.
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by afonja112: 11:53am On Nov 23, 2018
The competition will kick off by saturday morning 8:00 am. DHTML, please post the link to the documentation of the API by 8:00 tomorrow and give us room to ask questions in case there are issues with the API.
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by 0r30: 11:55am On Nov 23, 2018
afonja112:
The competition will kick off by saturday morning 8:00 am. DHTML, please post the link to the documentation of the API by 8:00 tomorrow and give us room to ask questions in case there are issues with the API.

Saturday?
if it pleases you, i ask you reconsider. i quoted you above, did you read the message?
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by afonja112: 12:00pm On Nov 23, 2018
wait, what are the issues?
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by 0r30: 12:03pm On Nov 23, 2018
afonja112:
wait, what are the issues?

i put this above, maybe you skipped it. it pretty much summarizes my concerns

I have seen some !=beginner level programmers participating in this task ,
What are the policies put in place to make sure small boys like us stands a chance? cry cry
By now, we should have seen a list successfully screened of participants mentioned in the main post..
When the contest eventually kicks off, how long have we got to put our work together and submit?

If it pleases the organizers, i have this little suggestion to make;
After getting all set and done (talking about the website, and REST API), don't release it yet, lets make sure all contestants are aware of the date for commencement. this can be done by making a post mentioning successfully screened contestants and asking them to quote the post with a 'present' or 'checked in' reply(whatever works for you). because most persons are yet to know we have even gotten to this point. i would suggest it kicks off next week, so those who may not have been checking this thread daily would have more than enough time to have gotten the info and also, most of us that will have to hustle for data, PC, Electricity would have sorted ourselves out.

my2cent,
Thank you.
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by willo4eva(m): 12:06pm On Nov 23, 2018
afonja112:

Waiting for Saturday then... Alarm SET
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by afonja112: 12:07pm On Nov 23, 2018
@0r30, you have made very good points indeed, let us be looking at kicking off by next week wednesday evening 8:00 pm. At least people suppose don come back from work by that time.
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by 0r30: 12:13pm On Nov 23, 2018
afonja112:
@0r30, you have made very good points indeed, let us be looking at kicking off by next week wednesday evening 8:00 pm. At least people suppose don come back from work by that time.

thank you sir, at least everyone can get a head start. also try to implement that roll call thing too.
though i was looking at Monday evening (as our blood dey hot like this, make e no die down. lol). cheesy cheesy
thanks once again. and then, let boss dhtml know so he doesn't drop the stuffs before time.
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by dhtml1818: 12:20pm On Nov 23, 2018
I am watching everything going on in 4D. And I agree with all the above, I will take time to document the API properly and provide implementation and sample codes ahead.
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by Nobody: 11:24pm On Nov 23, 2018
zerozz:

most of us are self learned. download videos and ebooks. write notes and practice. 3R - read review recall. Good luck
*modified*
I can give you a very good PDF on php pm me
Self learners everywhere grin
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by dhtml1818: 5:25am On Nov 24, 2018
Iz not a crime at all. where is that afonja sef make e come make confirmation thread.
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by Nobody: 9:43am On Nov 24, 2018
dhtml1818:
Iz not a crime at all. where is that afonja sef make e come make confirmation thread.
that is not even the problem. the question here is:
1) who is the escrow here?
2) who are the Judges?
3) where do we upload Contents?
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by viorademiju: 12:02pm On Nov 24, 2018
How are we unlooking beginners going to follow up?
Is there anyway the beginners not participating can follow up at least to learn
(I just found the thread today i would have at least tried)
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by afonja112: 12:27pm On Nov 24, 2018
I believe that since the competition has not officially kicked off, that will be wednesday, people can still join.
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by Nobody: 2:37pm On Nov 24, 2018
afonja112:
I believe that since the competition has not officially kicked off, that will be wednesday, people can still join.
Afonja answer na
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by afonja112: 3:46pm On Nov 24, 2018
Answer wetin o?
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by dhtml1818: 7:38pm On Nov 27, 2018
Our quiz people, I wish to change the question task for the web app developers:
Instead of designing UI for the website,

they are to design an interface (or theme) for a competition section of Nairaland. I want to organize competitions on Nairaland in future.
A site example will be provided tomorrow when the competition kicks off.
Re: Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! by afonja112: 8:06pm On Nov 27, 2018
Acknowledged

Let us move to the second stage of the competition - https://www.nairaland.com/4871016/nairaland-programming-competition-2018-second#73359516

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Operation Prove Your Programming Skills / Complete Array Of Countries And Nigerian States [open Source] / An Insomniac's Puzzle For Programmers.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.