Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,385 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:18 AM

ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman (11422 Views)

Strike: ASUU Accuses FG Of Deceit As Minister Explains Payment Delay / ASUU Accuses AGF Of Imposing IPPIS On Varsities / ASUU Accuses Kogi Gov. Recruiting NCE Teachers To Replace Sacked Lecturers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by MeanChris(m): 7:36pm On Nov 11, 2018
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) at the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University (ATBU) and Bauchi State University, Gadau, have decried the detention of ATBU chapter Chairman, Adamu Babayo, by the State Security Services (SSS, also called DSS).

The Vice Chairman of the association, Ibrahim Maina, condemned the action at a joint press conference on Sunday in Bauchi.

Mr Maina alleged that Mr Babayo was detained by the SSS operatives on Sunday, when he was invited to the department’s headquarters in Bauchi.

He said: “the ASUU Chairman, Adamu Babayo was invited through a Short Service Message (SMS) which is not a formal way of invitation.

“On Friday he received a text message requesting him to report to the DSS office in Bauchi on Sunday. He went to the office together with some of the executives of the association.

“The DSS operatives requested other members of his entourage to leave and detained him in their office,” he said.

Mr Maina said that the action was a violation of fundamental human rights and queried the SSS to explain the reasons behind the arrest.

“Let them explain to us why he was detained. That will give us the idea of what needs to be done.

“If the detention is in connection with the ongoing strike; it is a nationwide strike embarked on by the universities in the country and not a peculiar or personal problem.

“What wrong have we done by pressing for our rights through the strike,” he queried.

Mr Maina maintained that industrial action is the rights of a worker as enshrined in the civil service act, which enable workers to press home their demands.

However, an SSS official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, denied the allegation, insisting that Mr Babayo was not detained but invited to answer some questions.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that ASUU had on November 5 embarked on an indefinite strike to press for implementation of the agreement reached with federal government in 2017.
(NAN)

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/nnorth-east/295166-ASUU-accuses-sss-of-arresting-chapter-chairman.html

1 Like

Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by MeanChris(m): 7:36pm On Nov 11, 2018
And the impunity continues

10 Likes

Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by Nobody: 7:38pm On Nov 11, 2018
cool

He was among those shouting that I should provide my waec certificate. I am only trying to show him how powerful my Honorary Waec certificate is. What is the essence of having too much certificate and all you can be is just a lecturer?

~ProsidentBuhari

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by momodub: 7:39pm On Nov 11, 2018
Hummm sad which way
Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by tkshittu1: 7:41pm On Nov 11, 2018
this is nigeria
Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by Nobody: 7:41pm On Nov 11, 2018
Let them call off this strike now. I need to start and finish my exam.
Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by clefstone(m): 7:42pm On Nov 11, 2018
am sure Mr Babayo until now was a Sai Babarian, he and his likes should enjoy d change

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by patogist: 7:42pm On Nov 11, 2018
E b like this strike go tey wella
Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by mrman401: 7:42pm On Nov 11, 2018
impunity under this government is too much

9 Likes

Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by Jaynom029(m): 7:43pm On Nov 11, 2018
And just make sure u dont end d strike till afta new year am enjoyin d strike

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by visijo(m): 7:44pm On Nov 11, 2018
ASUU abeg just suspend this strike...
Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by nathsucs: 7:47pm On Nov 11, 2018
kennygee:
tell me your school.Pleeasss
Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by Nobody: 7:50pm On Nov 11, 2018
nathsucs:
tell me your school.Pleeasss

Why?
Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by ivandragon: 7:51pm On Nov 11, 2018
sooner than later, one of the conscienceless buharists will come to defend this & tell us how past administrations did same.

the numskulls are so lost in their stup!d!ty that they forget that administrations are supposed to get better... not commit the same atrocities & do even worse...

8 Likes

Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by computerglobal(m): 7:51pm On Nov 11, 2018
shocked shocked
Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by OzziOhinoyi(m): 7:54pm On Nov 11, 2018
Buck passing.
Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by lastmessenger: 7:58pm On Nov 11, 2018
I heard sarkki and butterflyleo discussing how corrupt the man is.
Please who can confirm this news grin

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by Kingspin(m): 7:58pm On Nov 11, 2018
What kind of country is this? Lunatic and Disease country !

You can send SSS or DSS to harass anybody dead or alive, even woman selling Akara is not spared.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by nathsucs: 8:05pm On Nov 11, 2018
Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by nathsucs: 8:07pm On Nov 11, 2018
kennygee:

Why?
Because i want us to be friends. Weird right? Disappoint me by refusing the urge to say "No thanks"
Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by slickbak(m): 8:09pm On Nov 11, 2018
ASUU must initiate every generation into the high potential dream killer Nigeria is. Bad politics and governance the key reason. It will be resolved let them just shake down FG for Xmas chop chop. Labour chop. Na ASUU no go buy Xmas cloth?
Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by dobiee(f): 8:19pm On Nov 11, 2018
kennygee:
you're not the only one same here
Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by Amah70: 8:24pm On Nov 11, 2018
SSS or DSS has now replaced dialogue in N9igeria. Once a Nigerian talks or acts contrary to what the president wants, SSS or DSS comes calling for arrest.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by Nwakannaya1: 8:31pm On Nov 11, 2018
Hmmmm
Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by jmaine: 8:46pm On Nov 11, 2018
APC are just Shameless lots.
Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by DerscomTQJ: 9:22pm On Nov 11, 2018
Buhari is a tyrant!
Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by cooldipo(m): 10:49pm On Nov 11, 2018
Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by Nobody: 12:15am On Nov 12, 2018
nathsucs:
Because i want us to be friends.
Weird right?
Disappoint me by refusing the urge to say "No thanks"
Ashawo grin

1 Like

Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by KangaIye: 2:13am On Nov 12, 2018
The battle line has been frawn grin
Re: ASUU Accuses SSS Of Arresting Chapter Chairman by israelmao(m): 5:34am On Nov 12, 2018
The same ASUU embarked on series of genuine and sponsored strikes when GEJ was in power without single arrest.

(1) (2) (Reply)

List Of Cheapest Universities In Canada / Unn Admission List Is Out / Nigerian Police Academy Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.