Stats: 3,150,504 members, 7,808,855 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:00 PM

Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register (2508 Views)

Guber Poll: Voters’ Register Fraud Rocks Bayelsa / INEC Wants To Disenfranchise Us, Christians In Bauchi Cry Out / PDP Sues INEC Over Voters Register (2) (3) (4)

Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by asha80(m): 10:29pm On Jul 22, 2010
The commission’s chairperson, Attahiru Jega.

INEC wants ₦55b for voters register

July 22, 2010 03:18PM
print email

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) said it will require ₦55.1 billion to organise a “substantially more credible” voters register ahead of the 2011 general election.

The commission’s chairperson, Attahiru Jega, told a delegation of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), which paid him a courtesy visit earlier today that, “We can use ₦55 billion as the cost of equipment alone if we buy directly from the manufacturers since it will cost 2,000 dollars per unit.

He explained that the equipment “will be a laptop-based unit plus the accessories for finger printing and a high resolution camera that can capture the pictures and complete the entire exercise within a maximum of 15 to 20 minutes.” He however noted that a review of the procurement process will save about ₦16 billion. He noted the problems that bedevilled the process in 2006, “As soon as the contract was signed with credible partners, they were abandoned and fake equipment was purchased, some with expired licences and that was what affected the voter registration exercise in 2006”.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5597615-146/inec_wants_55b_for_voters_register.csp
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by DisGuy: 10:35pm On Jul 22, 2010
Well if you want new register before January you have to pay for it, why isnt anyone asking question about the previous one? Why cant Omatek and Zenox*e manufacture one anyway?
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by SkyBlue1: 10:38pm On Jul 22, 2010
If that is what it would take then so be it. The federal government should get on this, I am sure it is not hard to 'find' 55billion naira. Whatever needs to be done to avoid any excuses next year, that is my own.
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by presido1: 10:43pm On Jul 22, 2010
^^ If you like give the 55 trillion Nigeria election is Nigeria election. I wonder how people still have hope in Nigeria when thieves are in charge.
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by Kobojunkie: 10:44pm On Jul 22, 2010
So the initial report that he OK'ed Iwu's voters register is wrong?
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jul 22, 2010
He explained that the equipment “will be a laptop-based unit plus the accessories for finger printing and a high resolution camera that can capture the pictures and complete the entire exercise within a maximum of 15 to 20 minutes.” He however noted that a review of the procurement process will save about ₦16 billion. He noted the problems that bedevilled the process in 2006, “As soon as the contract was signed with credible partners, they were abandoned and fake equipment was purchased, some with expired licences and that was what affected the voter registration exercise in 2006”.

Absoute rubbish. angry angry angry .those equipment were purchased and were not used and billions of naira went down the drain,yet nobody is behind bars.it is totally unnecessary at this period to start a project that doesnt look feasible .the whole idea may just be disenfranchise people from voting and squander the billions of naira involved in the project grin grin
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by Cohomology: 11:03pm On Jul 22, 2010
There is no country with a more useless government and a more docile/ignorant populace than Nigeria!
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by SkyBlue1: 11:45pm On Jul 22, 2010
presido1:

^^ If you like give the 55 trillion Nigeria election is Nigeria election. I wonder how people still have hope in Nigeria when thieves are in charge.

Look, how much money is squandered on absolute nonsense in Nigeria yearly? Does spending 55billion naira mean we will have credible elections? Not necessarily. However what I would find most irritating is if this whole issue is ignored then next year we are told after yet another decrepit electoral experience that this issue right here, was the reason we did not have free and fair elections. If the government/INEC is going to be insulting enough to lie to me I rather they actually put some effort in it. On the flip side and considering how much money is wasted yearly in the country anyway, I would say even if it would take 100billion naira and we have the possibility of getting free and fair elections based on a credible electoral register then so be it, whatever needs to be done, let the people be given a choice for once to choose who they want and have the leaders on all levels they want. 55billion naira spent in Nigeria for an action that could possibly lead to more credible elections? I say spend it.
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by Becomrich0: 11:46pm On Jul 22, 2010
What nonsense Omatek and Zenox are you talking about , they steal from nigeria.   what happen to the laptop IWU collected money for. Do you have to buy laptop every 4 years. Ole people. you dont need a laptop.

why do they need computers, they dont need computer to have true poll.

Even in canada , they do not use laptop to conduct election.   Even if you need ID for people get a  shot with a camera with the person holding the detail of thier names and other information and finger print.  And give them the ID there.  

Force all state to get state ID and let people use it.

Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by TewMuch: 11:53pm On Jul 22, 2010
N55bn for what! Its high time Nigerians stop awarding contracts for everything and maybe having the EFCC or Ribadu buy these types of things. Am sure the contractor and Jega are making about N20bn or more from this. The way they call billion, billion these days na wa oh. These people are shameless. When will Nigerians say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH? It doesnt even seem worth fighting for them. It seems like its best for them to suffer. Jega is ridiculous to have come out with such numbers. What a fraud. Nairalanders please let us look for the price of voting machines for the Nigerian government, since they cant seem to get anything right. Please post price quotes for them. grin
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by Nobody: 12:00am On Jul 23, 2010
Cohomology:

There is no country with a more useless government and a more docile/ignorant populace than Nigeria!

what is that supposed to mean ? shocked shocked what happened to previous wasted fund on this same project cry cry ? wth angry angry
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by TewMuch: 12:02am On Jul 23, 2010
Goodluck and his staff should contact these people for prices. They will get better stuff for less than N20bn as long as they dont mention they work for the Nigerian Government. cool

http://www.essvote.com/HTML/home.html

Nairalanders please help the stupid government do their home work. Always inflating contracts shamelessly.
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by Kobojunkie: 12:02am On Jul 23, 2010
I happen to know that some of the old computers from the last purchase are stored in Inec offices around the country and being sold off one by one by Inec officials for private pocket money. Has Jega taken inventory of what is already available to ensure there is real need to spend Naira 55 billion more?
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by Nobody: 12:14am On Jul 23, 2010
TewMuch:

Goodluck and his staff should contact these people for prices. They will get better stuff for less than N20bn as long as they dont mention they work for the Nigerian Government. cool

Nairalanders please help the silly government do their home work. Always inflating contracts shamelessly.
sorry,nigeria government dont patronise ordinary citizens except pdp starlwarts and ''friends of the government'' embarassed embarassed
Kobojunkie:

I happen to know that some of the old computers from the last purchase are stored in Inec offices around the country and being sold off one by one by Inec officials for private pocket money. Has Jega taken inventory of what is already available to ensure there is real need to spend Naira 55 billion more?
how will he make money if he doesnt award ghost projects to himself >
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by Becomrich0: 12:22am On Jul 23, 2010
I know where every town and villages is. I have study the satellite pictures. I know more than all of this people. Look go and ask pastor Adeboye, his wife brother wife assistant pastor ( former) use to be my classmate. I did project on this things in nigeria.
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by DisGuy: 12:26am On Jul 23, 2010
TewMuch:

Nairalanders please help the silly government do their home work. Always inflating contracts shamelessly.

Do you know how many we will need? and we will need them all before January, we will need about 36 of their consultant for a months training, we will ne about 36 of the Engineers for repairs and servicing, we back up services and warranty all before December this year- im very certain companies like these will not keep 727 of these locked up in Canada hoping some Africans come for them
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by Becomrich0: 12:29am On Jul 23, 2010
you dont need that, You need me to write you a fraudless software which I can do free and everybody can vote free.
You dont need that nonsense equipment.

You also can use cell phone to vote. All you need is the phone company use thier front end on a member group of cell phone to be used for election. and people go in and the result is withing less than 1 hour.
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by PapaBrowne(m): 12:29am On Jul 23, 2010
Everything is in billion [/b]these days. Me sef, I need me some billions to get me a new ride and some more[b] billions to change my wardrobe and a few other billions for dinner. It's all gots to be in billions these days.

55 Billion For voters register alone?? Abeg make them go buy exercise book! How much will the whole elections cost if they are to spend 55 billion on voters register?? Abeg we can do without elections.

Who even wants free and fair elections sef?? I don't care about free and fair elections, all I want  is a good economy. Afterall there are countries thriving successfully despite never having elections.
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by DisGuy: 12:35am On Jul 23, 2010
Becomrich0:

you dont need that, You need me to write you a fraudless software which I can do free and everybody can vote free.
You dont need that nonsense equipment.

You also can use cell phone to vote. All you need is the phone company use thier front end on a member group of cell phone to be used for election. and people go in and the result is withing less than 1 hour.

And what if the phone companies don't want to cos they have other things to do or they simply aint interested in some dodgy elections
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by Becomrich0: 12:35am On Jul 23, 2010
I would host a website free and all nigerian can vote there. and it would be free. I have 24 hour electricty in canada.

Every nigerian goes to the website on election day and vote with an ID. And that all.

You can use Iphone at poll booth. and vote , and the result would be out in less than 1 hour after election .
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by TewMuch: 12:36am On Jul 23, 2010
Dis Guy:

Do you know how many we will need? and we will need them all before January, we will need about 36 of their consultant for a months training, we will ne about 36 of the Engineers for repairs and servicing, we back up services and warranty all before December this year- im very certain companies like these will not keep 727 of these locked up in Canada hoping some Africans come for them

Is it not the same thing  with what ever N55bn will buy? or because it is more expensive it will work all by itself with no employees needed? Same difference, ess is just cheaper. If that is your argument then the election should be moved back 6 months so Nigerians are well prepared. What is the rush? oh i forgot, rigging the elections.
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by Becomrich0: 12:39am On Jul 23, 2010
Are you offering me to train nigeria engineers in canada on satellite pictures and election. Is that what you are doing.
You funny email you nigeriamail@hotmail.com
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by DisGuy: 12:44am On Jul 23, 2010
^^^

There's no rush, what's the rush with implementing Mallam Uwais election report?
What the rush in constitutional review when you dont really want to follow a set date!!

I don't mind moving the election dates but telling someone to conduct election with a new voters registry within months and not expecting a huge bill is laughable

you've criticized the previous board and system, what makes you think the new one will just fall in place free of charge
in a matter of months, changing the Head of iNEC is not the only solution to a credible elections
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by DisGuy: 12:47am On Jul 23, 2010
Becomrich0:

Are you offering me to train nigeria engineers in canada on satellite pictures and election. Is that what you are doing.
You funny email you  nigeriamail@hotmail.com

Have you spoken or met anyone from Nairaland? Im still trying found out if you real!

sometimes, i feel you live in a spaceshuttle with a huge camera or something
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by Becomrich0: 12:58am On Jul 23, 2010
no. But I notice that nairaland is droping too fast on alexa rating. Which look very odd. There is some scam involve. When you look at the number of hits or page view on nairaland. It is so small. even if you add them together. It does not make up for the alexa rating it is getting.

Even website which is world wide know with millions of user. Which even I met people on those site. real people i mean. Do not have that alexa rating.  The page view is too low for the alexa rating it is getting. So scam is involve. What I think from a technical point of view. Is that website is using another website stats to boost its alexa rating. I would not buy nairaland or invest in it for this fear.
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by chidichris(m): 7:39am On Jul 23, 2010
i still remember vividly that some of the then inec machines were found in the house of late adedidbu, i hope he handed them over before his died?
on the other hand, why N55b? he shld be talking about N200B.
as long as it is pdp, i don't expect anything better. they must end up in a way morris iwu will later be seen as a hero and a righteous man.
by the why, the Nigerian Triburne of today said, Inec needs N72b for voters' register.
the simpliest way out is divission.
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by MMCL: 11:24am On Jul 23, 2010
They should just implement this SIM CARD REGISTRATION and use that for electronic VOTING. IT will not cost anything just to build a simple database that will link all the telecoms databases so you can vote from home using your phone. E.g TEXT GOODLUCK to 456888, That will cut cost.

Cheers.
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by Emestico: 1:26pm On Jul 23, 2010
billions has been their goodmorning, handicapped country like nigeria, where leaders are inefficient,useless,heartless,hardened criminals, Bleep nigeria, a place where no child has no hope of the future,
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by NaijaNaWaa: 6:41pm On Jul 23, 2010
I'm now convinced that Jega is a bigger thief than Iwu.
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by Boboribo: 6:43pm On Jul 23, 2010
Here we go again.  N55B just register voters?  How much to conduct the entire elections?  Iwu will soon be a saint
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by hackney(m): 7:09pm On Jul 23, 2010
N5bn for Oga.
Then the remaining round figure can be looted further down.
very convinient.
Re: Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register by NaijaNaWaa: 7:10pm On Jul 23, 2010
MMCL:

They should just implement this SIM CARD REGISTRATION and use that for electronic VOTING. IT will not cost anything just to build a simple database that will link all the telecoms databases so you can vote from home using your phone. E.g TEXT GOODLUCK to 456888, That will cut cost.

Cheers.

A perfect and brilliant idea. You deserve a national award/honor for thinking along this line. Now let's task ourselves on how to articulate this idea and pass it on to the authorities and our citizens. It will work and will guarantee a truly free and fair election. All that is needed is to quickly conclude the GSM registration process. To ensure that no one registers twice, the GSM registration must be biometric. Then a person is tied to a phone so that you cannot register two lines using different names. And to avoid network congestion, the election of say the president, can extend up to 30 days. Or certain range of numbers are to vote on certain days. etc.

Well, it needs to be worked out properly. Here's confering on you the national honours of GCFR. If Patricia Etteh and the members of the Abuja looting club can be confered with CON for looting how much more a man of ideas like u.

Diya And Adisa, 2 Yoruba Generals Called A Major Master And Bowed For Him / Rochas Okorocha The Governor Of Imo State Ate His Lunch By Wrestling....... / Lagos Hawker: I Am Running Because I Could not Speak Yoruba

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57