Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,869 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:07 AM

Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? (100984 Views)

Winners Chapel, Canaanland - The Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? (Pics, Video) / Bride-To-Be Swept Away By Flood In Anambra Catholic Church (Photos) / See The Most Beautiful Church In Azia Ihiala Lga Anambra State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by FrankFrenzy(m): 9:11am On Nov 12, 2018
Is This The Most Beautiful Church Building In Nigeria?

CHURCH OF THE TRANSFIGURATION LEKKI LAGOS, NIGERIA

Even though the design proposal may seem unconventional to the untrained eye, it is actually based on traditional principles of Catholic Church design: The main congregation Hall features a Latin cross above the Organ and altar; The hall has a nave and two aisles at each side which are all coincident with the main axis of the Church; we have placed a Latin Cross on the highest point of the Church’s structure, which will become an icon for the city of Lekki and Lagos as a whole.

The project consists of an organic skin which, in one single gesture, becomes the roof and external walls of the Church, enveloping and protecting the Congregation within. The main access is placed in the narrowest and lowest part of the building and leads into a spectacular entrance foyer, from which the visitor has views and clear access to both floors of the Church. The main staircase in the entrance foyer divides the Church into two halves which are visually linked by the large atrium that traverses the building. The funnel effect within the entrance foyer moreover reinforces the huge and spectacular scale of the main Congregation Hall and the Chapel of Perpetual Adoration to either side.

The architectural concept and structural form are integral, with a series of arches of varying heights producing the sculptural form of the building as a whole. Arches are one of the oldest and most efficient forms of structure, utilizing the full height of the building to provide stiffness resulting in a relatively slender structure. Fabricated steel arches are positioned at 4m centres along the length of the building, with cold‐formed steel purlins spanning between the arches supporting the roof finishes and ceiling within. These arches are supported on each side of the building by a series of piled foundations taking vertical loads into the ground beneath. The horizontal thrust which results from the arching action is resisted by a reinforced concrete ground slab which ties the two bases of the arch together.

The main spaces for prayer have been designed to be peaceful, awe inspiring, and full of joy whilst also allowing the worshippers full and uninterrupted views of the Altar. The impressive glazed facades on both the East and western axis of the Church provide natural lighting and emphasize the height and scale of both areas of worship. The interior of the Church is very simple, pure and full of spirituality. The outside is elegant, timeless and will stand as a true Icon for the Catholic community of Lagos and Nigeria as a whole.

Client: Catholic Church of the Transfiguration
Designer: DOS Architects Ltd
Floor area ‐ sq metres 3,275sqm (Gross internal Area).
2000 seating capacity.
2 Floors
Budget ‐ $14,000,000

So my question remains, with all these specifications and huge budget for this relatively small structure, can we now say that aesthetically, this is the most beautiful church auditorium in the country.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by friendlyadvice: 9:13am On Nov 12, 2018
I was going to pay for the whole thing but I don't donate chump change like 14million dollars, it is an insult to me

18 Likes

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by FrankFrenzy(m): 9:14am On Nov 12, 2018
More photos

4 Likes

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by FrankFrenzy(m): 9:16am On Nov 12, 2018
friendlyadvice:
I was going to pay for the whole thing but I don't donate chump change like 14million dollars, it is an insult to me

werey..
I will be like you some day when i grow up

13 Likes

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by Blakjewelry(m): 9:50am On Nov 12, 2018
cool only if Nigeria religious lot will sanitize their mind the way they do their place of worship

64 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by FrankFrenzy(m): 2:27pm On Nov 12, 2018
Blakjewelry:
cool only if Nigeria religious lot will sanitize their mind the way they do their place of worship

my position as well

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by FrankFrenzy(m): 7:41pm On Nov 13, 2018
Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by bodee(m): 9:32pm On Nov 13, 2018
waste of resources. I believe the money could be channeled to productive sectors.

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by HigherEd: 9:36pm On Nov 13, 2018
This is good. The church always upping the ante when it comes to the construction/real estate sector.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by HigherEd: 9:36pm On Nov 13, 2018
Lalasticlala
Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by dust144(m): 9:43pm On Nov 13, 2018
No, the most beautiful church is in your heart.

171 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by InansBobo(m): 9:43pm On Nov 13, 2018
Is this not architectural design? Is this the real camera snapshot?

The cost is too much for a just 2k seater capacity

Damoxy:

Can't you read ni
Sorry, I didn't care to read the details at first. I followed the topic

5 Likes

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by EliteBeautyBlog(f): 9:44pm On Nov 13, 2018
Yes it is one of the most beautiful Churches in Nigeria

A very nice investment.... Can't wait to build mine.

You can make your bikini area as fair as your thighs.... Follow these Natural Ways To Lighten Your Bikini Line

3 Likes

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by Damoxy(m): 9:44pm On Nov 13, 2018
I love the interior

1 Like

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by Damoxy(m): 9:44pm On Nov 13, 2018
InansBobo:
Is this not architectural design? Is this the real camera snapshot?

Can't you read ni

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by atikulated2019: 9:44pm On Nov 13, 2018
kk
Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by emeijeh(m): 9:45pm On Nov 13, 2018
Pictures are not even real.

Hiss

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Nov 13, 2018
Church Building you mean? Yes, it may be the finest yet.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by martineverest(m): 9:45pm On Nov 13, 2018
mtchewww.... most beautiful church with little or no moral impact on members?

men of God should focus more on the message and it's impact on members than the beauty of the cathedral

5 Likes

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by fishmillan: 9:45pm On Nov 13, 2018
This is good ,and don't forget it was done during buhari regime....

Sai baba 2023

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by Gangster1ms: 9:45pm On Nov 13, 2018
Proudly Catholic cool

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by Lexusgs430: 9:46pm On Nov 13, 2018
Let's keep building churches, while the rest of the sane world are building industries.........

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by Meren1: 9:46pm On Nov 13, 2018
nonye6194:
Not bad

but I can't get over the goose bumps I had bypassing this one months ago on the island.

vintage masterpiece

I was in awe of the building that I didn't even take any pictures. Had to screen grab later from IG.

This should be a landmark tho

Lai Mohammed

2 Likes

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by InansBobo(m): 9:46pm On Nov 13, 2018
bodee:
waste of resources. I believe the money could be channeled to productive sectors.
u can solicit for funds to channel to the productive sectors naa?

2 Likes

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by ekestic1976(f): 9:47pm On Nov 13, 2018
It looks very much like an extended and modernised version of the Chapel of the Resurrection, University of Ibadan.

4 Likes

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by nonye6194: 9:47pm On Nov 13, 2018
Not bad

but I can't get over the goose bumps I had bypassing this one months ago on the island.

vintage masterpiece

I was in awe of the building that I didn't even take any pictures. Had to screen grab later from IG.

This should be a landmark tho

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by Sweetcollins: 9:47pm On Nov 13, 2018
Magnificent

2 Likes

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Nov 13, 2018
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by Trexnemesis(m): 9:49pm On Nov 13, 2018
FrankFrenzy:

werey..
I will be like you some day when i grow up

That means you will become werey too. grin
Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by gaby(m): 9:49pm On Nov 13, 2018
They sure as heck transfigured the church building.

Kudos to the transfigurers.
Re: Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? by ekestic1976(f): 9:49pm On Nov 13, 2018
Jesse01:
Not hospital or schools but church ? undecided we are doomed.

Say, You're doomed; not "we"!

19 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Inside The Glory Dome, Dunamis Abuja, World’s Largest Church Auditorium / 3 Men Carrying Sacrifice In Ikorodu, Forced To Eat It (Photos) / Bishop Oyedepo Asks Lady To Return To The Altar After Her Testimony At Shiloh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.