Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,477 members, 7,808,743 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:09 PM

University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick (41800 Views)

Curvy New Jersey Teacher Under Fire As Parents Call For Her Sack (Photos) / Cultism: Uyo High School Shut, Students Order Principal To Release Cultists / Secondary School Shut Over Strange Behavior Of Girls Shaking Their Chests.Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by Ecstasy154(m): 4:37pm On Nov 12, 2018
Academic activities at the University of Ibadan International School were Monday morning paralysed as the management of the school locked the classrooms against the students over the use of Hijab by some female Muslim students.

DAILY POST recalls that some parents under the umbrella of International School Ibadan Muslim Parents’ Forum had, in letter addressed to the principal of the school, Mrs. Phebean Olowe, a copy of which was obtained by DAILY POST, argued that “Hijab wearing for young Muslim girls, apart from the fact that it is part of their religious belief, is part of their God given fundamental human right as well as the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria”.

The parents, in the letter entitled: ‘Notification of Muslim parents’ resolution on Hijab for our Muslim girls in ISI’, signed by Alhaji Abdurrahman Balogun (Chairman) and Mrs. Bilikis Badiru (Secretary), also copied the Chancellor of the University of Ibadan and Sultan of Sokoto, Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Council, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, The Chairman, ISI Parents Teachers Association, ISI, Vice – Chancellor, University of Ibadan, Deputy Vice – Chancellor (Academic), University of Ibadan, Registrar, University of Ibadan, Chairman, University of Ibadan Muslim Community, Chief Imam, University of Ibadan Muslim Community, Minister, Federal Ministry of Education, Commissioner, Oyo State Ministry of Education, Executive Secretary, Muslim Ummah of South West Nigeria (MUSWEN), Chairman, Muslim Community of Oyo State, President, Muslim Students Society of Nigeria (MSSN), President, Muslim Lawyers Association of Nigeria (MULAN), President, Muslim Media Practitioners of Nigeria (MMPN), President, Nigeria Supreme Council of Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), President, Muslim Rights Council (MURIC) and Chairman, Hijab Advocacy Groups.

But, the morning assembly of the school, which was supposed to commence around 7:30 am and end by 8am could not hold on Monday due to the presence of the Hijab-wearing students and their parents, who were there to monitor the situation when DAILY POST visited the school Monday morning. The classes which should commence by 8am were also cancelled as entrances to the classes were put under keys by the school management.

Some of the students and teachers were seen discussing the issue at the entrance of their classes. The students, who were roaming about the school premises, told our reporter that they were ready to be taught but the classes have been shut. The classes remained locked when our correspondent left the school around 11 am.

However, when asked to speak on why the assembly was cancelled and classes remained locked, the school principal, Mrs. Phebean Olowe said she was not ready to address journalists who were at the school to get her reactions.

She declared that it was only the school management board headed by the DVC (Academic), University of Ibadan, Professor Yinka Aderinto that can speak on the matter.

The principal said, “I don’t want to talk, I am not the owner of the school. I don’t want to talk, I don’t want to see any journalist here”.

Leader of the UI security team, who led his team to the school, Mr. Muddathir Idowu, also declined comments when asked by journalists to speak. Muddashir said, “I don’t want to talk. I don’t want to hear anything, I don’t want to talk on this matter”.

However, Balogun, who spoke on behalf of the concerned parents while addressing journalists, said he was surprised that the school was shut because the Muslim female students wore Hijab to school.

Balogun, who was flanked by other parents, added that the decision of the school to cancel the assembly and classes because some female Muslim students wore the Hijab was contrary to section 7 (1-cool of the school rules and regulations which has to do with the dress code in the school.

Balogun said, “I am a parent of ISI. I am here to drop my children. We gave the school notification that in line with the constitution in all ramifications, be it the school rules and regulations, norms and constitution of Federal Republic of Nigeria, that our daughters should be made to wear Hijab.

“But, I am surprised and shocked that classes were shut and assembly was also cancelled because students wore Hijab today. I don’t know the correlation between the two, students wear Hijab and the classes were shut. We will not accept anything until our daughters are allowed to wear Hijab. I want my daughters to be wearing Hijab because there is nothing that says that they cannot wear it even the school rules and regulations. Go and check page four, section 7 (1 to cool of the ISI rules and regulations that has to do with dressing code, there is nothing there that forbids a Muslim girl from wearing the Hijab. So, wearing Hijab is in conformity with the school rules and regulations and the extant law. We are here as law abiding citizens, you can see that, this is one of the parents, these are parents, we want out daughters to be wearing Hijab”.

However, the Director of Public Communications, University of Ibadan, Toye Oladejo when asked to speak, said he was not aware of the incident.

Oladejo, in a telephone conversation with DAILY POST, added that he has been occupied with the ongoing convocation activities at the university since 8am.

http://dailypost.ng/2018/11/12/unibadan-school-shut-hijab-parents-kick-photos/amp/

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by Stanweezy(m): 6:51pm On Nov 12, 2018
So this people know the rules better than the school, don't combine school rule with Islamic rule. If the school said no wearing of hijab obey it, if u are not satisfied with that you can change your ward to another school that allows that. For Christ sake this is called school UNIFORM meaning everybody must wear this same thing.

261 Likes 17 Shares

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by NwaliE01: 7:05pm On Nov 12, 2018
Is school religious gathering or secular entity?
Is hijab part of the school uniform or religious attire?
Is the school answerable to any religion rather than her rules and regulations?
So parents should answer this questions before embarking on fruitless protest.
Religion still remains one of our greatest enemies against our growth and development in this country.

182 Likes 13 Shares

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by YUSUPH1986(m): 9:13pm On Nov 12, 2018
that shows the principal was out to act against the regulations of the law . what is wrong with student wearing hijab. After notifications and copying the necessary stakeholders. she is welcome I am more than sure that those parents are up to the task.

46 Likes 9 Shares

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by Neoguru6: 9:24pm On Nov 12, 2018
YUSUPH1986:
that shows the principal was out to act against the regulations of the law . what is wrong with student wearing hijab. After notifications and copying the necessary stakeholders. she is welcome I am more than sure that those parents are up to the task.
The question should be: is the hijab part of the school's uniform? If it is not, case closed, if you don't like the school's policy on conventional uniform the school's gate is open.

190 Likes 7 Shares

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by Julivas(m): 11:19pm On Nov 12, 2018
These muslim parents have successfully sown a seed of hatred among these innocent students. This religion should be abolished if possible, though I have so many reasonable ones among them.

101 Likes 3 Shares

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by Nobody: 11:25pm On Nov 12, 2018
I'm not trying to bring them down or denigrate them, but I just feel Muslims like to act as if they're being mistreated. I understand that they take their religion as a culture, but then again they should stop forcing their nuggets on other people, because some of us take our religions very seriously too but we know when to cut back.

A government school is not a religious school. It won't kill anyone if the girls drop their hijabs for a few hours of school. Schools don't allow Catholic kids to wear Chaplets and medals and finger Rosaries. Schools don't allow girls from other Christian denominations to cover their hair or wear Church vests to school, so why should Muslim girls be permitted to wear hijabs to government schools? Everyone should try to be more tolerant, more flexible and less over-zealous.

243 Likes 17 Shares

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by Nobody: 11:36pm On Nov 12, 2018
Julivas:
These muslim parents have successfully sown a seed of hatred among these innocent students. This religion should be abolished if possible, though I have so many reasonable ones among them.
That's too extreme na. Some Christian pastors do unspeakable and unimaginable things but do you see anyone pushing for Christianity to be abolished?

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by DammyOlu123(m): 2:35am On Nov 13, 2018
This makes me sad. This school has been standing for decades, and has not experienced such drama (to the best of my knowledge). It has consistently churned out both Muslim and Christian leaders, who have excelled in whichever field they chose. What suddenly brought attention to a subject that was previously a non-issue?

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by tayyibb(m): 4:33am On Nov 13, 2018
computergeek:
I'm not trying to bring them down or denigrate them, but I just feel Muslims like to act as if they're being mistreated. I understand that they take their religion as a culture, but then again they should stop forcing their nuggets on other people, because some of us take our religions very seriously too but we know when to cut back.

A government school is not a religious school. It won't kill anyone if the girls drop their hijabs for a few hours of school. Schools don't allow Catholic kids to wear Chaplets and medals and finger Rosaries. Schools don't allow girls from other Christian denominations to cover their hair or wear Church vests to school, so why should Muslim girls be permitted to wear hijabs to government schools? Everyone should try to be more tolerant, more flexible and less over-zealous.
And you think they are not been mistreated?
Actually they are

The foundation of Nigerian education was based on the idea of our colonial master most if not all were Christian missionaries.
Everything about the structure is in line with Christianity,that is why you can't see anything wrong in it.

We are now an independent nation,our ideology too should be independent,we know there are both Christians and Muslims in this country let accommodate both and stop hiding under secularism, Nigeria is not a secular nation except we want to deceive ourselves.

What is wrong in wearing hijab?will it affect your own dress?
Tell me.The problem stems from the fact that we claim to live together but we fail to understand eachother.
Muslim prays compulsorily 5times a day and part of the requirements is for you to cover what is necessary in your body.If Muslims are not allow to wear hijab,they won't be able to do this obligation anywhere they are whenever there is time for the prayer.

Any thing that is demanded by Muslims are called many names Islamisation, extremism, terrorism.Let stop this and reason intellectually.We are all biased in one way or the other we just don't won't to agree,give us space too what are you afraid of.

Islam is not limited to mosque,it pervades all areas of a Muslim life,he must look at everything with Islamic spectacles and act accordingly.

If it is a private enterprise u can have it in your way but for government owned we both have the right to enjoy it without infringement on our fundamental rights.

90 Likes 16 Shares

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by polite2(m): 5:13am On Nov 13, 2018
These parents can certainly look for trouble. They came and parked to monitor the enforcement. If they so want their female kids to wear hijab, they should enroll them in Islamic schools wear hijab wearing is mandatory.

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by adioolayi(m): 5:52am On Nov 13, 2018
tayyibb:

And you think they are not been mistreated?
Actually they are

The foundation of Nigerian education was based on the idea of our colonial master most if not all were Christian missionaries.
Everything about the structure is in line with Christianity,that is why you can't see anything wrong in it.

We are now an independent nation,our ideology too should be independent,we know there are both Christians and Muslims in this country let accommodate both and stop hiding under secularism, Nigeria is not a secular nation except we want to deceive ourselves.

What is wrong in wearing hijab?will it affect your own dress?
Tell me.The problem stems from the fact that we claim to live together but we fail to understand eachother.
Muslim prays compulsorily 5times a day and part of the requirements is for you to cover what is necessary in your body.If Muslims are not allow to wear hijab,they won't be able to do this obligation anywhere they are whenever there is time for the prayer.

Any thing that is demanded by Muslims are called many names Islamisation, extremism, terrorism.Let stop this and reason intellectually.We are all biased in one way or the other we just don't won't to agree,give us space too what are you afraid of.

Islam is not limited to mosque,it pervades all areas of a Muslim life,he must look at everything with Islamic spectacles and act accordingly.

If it is a private enterprise u can have it in your way but for government owned we both have the right to enjoy it without infringement on our fundamental rights.

ISI is a private run school, it is independent of FG. That being said, how will it look like if the celestials, cherubim, masquerades, Osun, sango, Obatala, Ifa and Ogun worshippers all come in their attires since we are independent nation ISI is over 50yeras old, Muslim parents should not disturb the peace of that school.

151 Likes 10 Shares

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by malikombi(m): 6:02am On Nov 13, 2018
Whenever the issue of Islam comes up, shallow minded people always have something to say.
What's the big deal in covering one's head for God sake?
Bigots won't take it easy because the easiest way to divide us in this country is using religion or religious belief.
#Mtcheww

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by malikombi(m): 6:07am On Nov 13, 2018
adioolayi:

ISI is a private run school, it is independent of FG. That being said, how will it look like if the celestials, cherubim, masquerades, Osun, sango, Obatala, Ifa and Ogun worshippers all come in their attires since we are independent nation ISI is over 50yeras old, Muslim parents should not disturb the peace of that school.
We are not talking about regalia here.
Islam is the only religion that is strictly guided in terms of dressing and despite this, millions of Muslims doesn't abide by it. Not all Muslim women wears it

17 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by ojuu4u(m): 7:14am On Nov 13, 2018
Until we learnt how to respect constituted authority ,ethics n codes govern institutions/ organizations,we will never move forward in this country, if you want your kids to wear hijab at all cost, you take her to Islamic founded schools which I biliv are many in Ibadan. That was how Sharia started before it metamophosied to Boko Haram,then they were shouting fundermental human rights. It's unfortunate that ethics n codes that made/make that school to stand tall among her peers are threatening and will soon be eroded. People hide under religions to cause problems unnecessarily,

38 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by adioolayi(m): 7:21am On Nov 13, 2018
malikombi:

We are not talking about regalia here.
Islam is the only religion that is strictly guided in terms of dressing and despite this, millions of Muslims doesn't abide by it. Not all Muslim women wears it

Who told you other religion doesnt have acceptable standard mode of dressing Most times muslims put sentiments in their arguements. Go to conservative christian churches and seee if their women are allowed not to cover their hair. ISI is a circular private school, and not a place of worship. If they want to practise their religion, they should enrol their wards at Addin college, Ahmaddiya, Isabatudeen and other muslim run private schools

96 Likes 3 Shares

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by ojuu4u(m): 7:22am On Nov 13, 2018
malikombi:
Whenever the issue of Islam comes up, shallow minded people always have something to say.
What's the big deal in covering one's head for God sake?
Bigots won't take it easy because the easiest way to divide us in this country is using religion or religious belief.
#Mtcheww
it's those who want their kids to wear hijab that want to to cause problems, must you wear hijab before you people dress decently? Why you people want to impose your ideology & belief on duo/multi-religions believed school? If you people know that wearing of hijab always cause problems, what is big deal if you take your kids to schools *government or private* that accommodate it in order to give peace a chance? Oga let me tell you bitter n naked truth, the westhern world are advanced today because they strongly obey & respect fundermental and laid down principles that guard any organization they belong to. Even in Saudi Arabia n UAE, they STRONGLY obey laid down rules . How would you feel if some parents ask private own schoool's authority that was founded base on Islamic doctrines to start praying in Christian ways on Mon n Tues? Such parents are they looking for peace or crisis? Even though fundermental human rights allow that. If you read that post critically, you would notice that majority of people who are in positions authorities in that school are muslims, yet it appears they opposed wearing of hijab. Why ? It's because some certain elements among parents just wanted to challenge FUNDERMENTAL ETTIQUET & PRINCIPLES of the insititution whc they were not happy about

41 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by lereinter(m): 7:24am On Nov 13, 2018
This Islamic religion

Any place it enters peace and tranquillity starts eroding the place

and there are so many big private muslim sch in Ibadan

what a satanic religion

61 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by felixmuyiwa: 7:44am On Nov 13, 2018
Where the muslims people sleeping when the school were busy designing the school uniform

11 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by lenghtinny(m): 7:46am On Nov 13, 2018
Imagine adults forming useless group to forment trouble.....

UI must rise up to the occasion and ensure that the bullsh*t does not stand

29 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:50am On Nov 13, 2018
Here we go again......

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by sacajawea: 7:51am On Nov 13, 2018
Lmao
Imagine living among Such People what am i saying sef I live among them grin grin

1 Like

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by mondaylove11111: 7:51am On Nov 13, 2018
university of ibadan shut down hijab over what
Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by Yankee101: 7:51am On Nov 13, 2018
I don't think a standard school is a ground for religious enforcement.

The school for decades has a standard uniform style.

Why change it or disrupt the primary reason the kids are there : education!

20 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by Racoon(m): 7:52am On Nov 13, 2018

17 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by Nobody: 7:52am On Nov 13, 2018
The jihadist are already at UI, here comes Boko haram?

May God save us from the religion of piss peace

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by Bluecurtain: 7:53am On Nov 13, 2018
Christianity and Islam are not the only religion we have around.

What if Traditionalists wake up tomorrow and decide to include their shoulder muffler,,"ose sango",, and the likes to their kids school uniform,, we'll all shout to high heavens.

What if Lord's chosen starts wearing their apron on their uniforms.

What if catholic students decides to start dressing like nuns to school

What if,,what if and what if,,, definitely there would be chaos.

We've been blinded by religion. Funny enough, these religious apparels don't in any way means morality.

We've mixed religion with everything, and it has clouded our sense of reasoning.

We are the most religious country in the whole world and yet, we are 100years behind less religious countries. What a shame.

Live and let live.

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by Edowmoyi: 7:53am On Nov 13, 2018
Good morning to all members of this Forum, pls sir/ma, i need you financial assistance to enable me complete my academic programme at university . I have tried hard to source for money on my own but all efforts proved abortive. Please i urge you that have more than enough to assist me with little. There is no small amount ooo. Muslisms, Christian and others can give to support me. I just want a cheerful giver. Thank you in anticipation. If want to assist indicate interest and i will inbox you my Account detail. God bless hundred folds as you help. God bless you all.
Re: University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick by Hoodbilonia: 7:54am On Nov 13, 2018
i.s.i that year of fun
i knw dat ugly woman called olowe
very arrogant and shiit
talking abt 97-2006
my fwend dah year who sold pies and shiit
den doh hez late
we used to call him uncle tony by old staff room
fuc
na mad schl then
when boys dey put on timbs come school

mr akintilabor...mr akintola music teacher
mrs ukoyen..english
mr osose fine arts
mrs omitoyin..agric
mr omopariola
i hated mrs olowe
if she catch u for exam
u must repeat
ppl i played wit bac then

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

University Of Ibadan Ranked Best University In Nigeria [see Top 100] / FUNAAB ALPHA Chicken Breed Developed By University Of Agriculture Abeokuta / My First April Fool By My Female Lecturer Today!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.