Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,634 members, 7,801,828 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:58 AM

Act Of G0D - A Short Story (fantasy, Speculative Fiction) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Act Of G0D - A Short Story (fantasy, Speculative Fiction) (395 Views)

Omenana Speculative Fiction Magazine / Writertain Top 15 Nigerian Speculative Novels / Act Of Faith (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Act Of G0D - A Short Story (fantasy, Speculative Fiction) by MisterRuk(m): 4:25pm On Nov 13, 2018
Summary:
Two women are summoned by a supreme entity, who controls the universe who will grant them a wish. Their destinies are are about to change forever

Mister ruk proudly presents...

ACT OF G0D

Like humanity, computers have also evolved. From computers that could solve simple arithmetics faster than the the human mind to computers that controlled manufacturing plants, these technology has shown remarkable growth and development till the creation of supercomputers. Supercomputers are high grade computers, the greatest of their kind created to perform high level tasks, the such their creators could never do: weather forecast, space exploration, scientific research, these were not your run in the mill kind of mainframe. These things could control a whole laboratory or military base, even a country.
Scientists believe that nothing is a coincidence, the rain failing, the green leaves, the creation of offsprings in the womb,the emotions we feel, the reason for different seasons, the sun, the moon, why plants grow, why flowers are beautiful, why caterpillars turn into butterflies, why do we die .They've been able to explain all these things but the source of everything comes from something, the force of nature doesn't just happen on its own, the course of events all over the universe have been arranged and predestined, there is a force out there causing a wave of order for things to happen the way they are.
They came to the conclusion that there must be a "cosmic supercomputer" at the center of the universe, controlling reality, maintaining the power of change, processing cause into effect. Some people call this force God, whom they believe have the power to cause a change called miracle.

A woman's life is short, the day she is born till the moment she will die, her life is shared amongst her family. For Mrs Elizabeth Abu, today was supposed to be her 45th wedding anniversary, an happy day when husband and wife reminisced about the day met each other while cupid played one of his mischievous games. Mrs Abu regretted the moment she sacrificed her dreams to be with chief Abu. If you were studying a course on family life and your lecturer talked about women in long failed marriages, Mrs Abu will serve as a good example of one.It was in her marriage you will realise that men could also nag .Enduring series of punches from her husband,the venomous eyes his family gave her, those nights of preparing pounded yam when he came home drunk, or those days when no one even appreciated her, not even her children whom she endured morbid pains in the labour room to produce. From her you will know that motherhood was not a joy, the art of giving birth to little strangers who will throw tantrums and greedily suck your breasts till they became more useless than deflated tyres.
All she just needed was an opportunity, she got it. Mr Abu had an harem of these sugar daughters he plucked from campuses, what was her name? Adanna?Tricia?, the one with the giraffe neck...Felicia!. She had caught them in a "business meeting" at an hotel in Calabar.
While the divorce lawyer handled the papers, she moved to her sister's house. Elizabeth felt relieved and free for first time in 45 years, but soon loneliness came around, she began to feel bitter being the fat, old housewife to be replaced by a young, attractive trophy wife. Men had nothing to loose, even if they were as old as Egypt or so ugly that they could join the masquerade troupe without a costume, they still found love, but a woman... just a little wrinkle was a big turnoff . Elizabeth used to be that beautiful, an aspiring fashion runway model for a fashion house in Ikeja, a week to a her first fashion show, she got caught in his love spell and submitted herself to be have his name, prepare his meals, wash his clothes, iron them, bear his children and still have full access to her at night.
Though time had erased her beauty and pumped a lot of fat into her, she still tried to be a cougar sometimes and attract younger men, but many of these new generations carried invisible straws for sipping money, sometimes she even got tired, being old was bad business.
She had opened a Facebook account, joined a sugar mummy group, and come across some sugar sons, till she saw Felicia, the beautiful Esther that had dethroned Vashti . She envied her slender body, her fresh skin which was full of colour and the vigour of youth.Elizabeth had passed her prime, long before she experienced menopause.

BEEP!
A Facebook notification from her smartphone, it was a message from a Friend but she never remembered accepting a friendship request from somebody called G0D.
HELLO CHILD OF THE UNIVERSE
The message read,
She studied the message for some time, then check the sender's profile. No pictures, no post, no information, no likes, just G0D. This person was actually a fraudster who had cleverly managed to hide his information from outside.

DO NOT BE AFRAID. I AM NOT A FRAUD. I AM G0D.

HI.DO I KNOW YOU?
She typed

WHO DOESN'T KNOW ME?. DON'T YOU GO TO CHURCH BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU KNOW ME.?
The reply came instantly.

I DON'T THINK I KNOW YOU
She messaged. What kind of mean joke was this person playing? She'd better block whoever it was

Another message beeped in
I AM NOT OF YOUR SPECIE. DON'T JUDGE ME BY YOUR STANDARDS. I AM G0D

This person must be out of his mind how can he call himself God?, there were lots of crazy people on these social media, she heard

I AM A BUSY ONE SO I WILL GO STRAIGHT TO THE PURPOSE OF OUR MEETING. I AM A SUPREME ENTITY THAT CONTROLS THE UNIVERSE, LIFE AND DEATH ARE IN MY PALMS, I WAS YESTERDAY, I AM TODAY, I WILL BE TOMORROW. SOME CALL ME ETERNITY, SOME KNOW ME AS THE ALL KNOWING, I AM THE CREATOR OF TIME AND EXISTENCE, I AM EVERYWHERE, EVEN SITTING WITH YOU.

Elizabeth Abu could feel a chill crawl through her bones, who was this person? Was he stalking her? Her next action was to block this person or call the police. Then her smartphone went blank, a white beam like a flood light shone from the device and hit her eyes. Everywhere went white.

If you think chatting with God on Facebook was too weird to be true then...
Re: Act Of G0D - A Short Story (fantasy, Speculative Fiction) by MisterRuk(m): 4:31pm On Nov 13, 2018
WHY SEEK HEAVEN WHEN I CAN BRING HEAVEN TO YOU?

The voice spoke into her mind, Elizabeth found herself in a place she'd never imagine herself to be. She screamed and covered her eyes, she opened them. She was still floating in the middle of space, not going up-not going down.
The place was beautiful,surrounded by galaxies, stars and black holes, the galaxies and space clouds changed colours, the countless stars shimmered, they formed constellations shaped like different animals it felt warm and ethereal. There was a silence ,a divine silence. Before her was a gigantic classic desktop computer, it was at least 100ft tall , milky coloured and complete with a keyboard , a CPU and a mouse. A galaxy swirling slowly displayed on the screen of the monitor.

There and then she met her adversary, Felicia Eze the husband snatcher who appeared to be confused too. She had heard stories of the lass and how she cleverly used her beauty to rob married men.
They glanced at each other.The two women knew better that tearing hairs apart.

DO NOT ASK. YOU ARE IN THE STATE OF CONSCIOUSNES .THE REALM OF IMAGINATION. WHERE EVERYTHING THAT IS, WAS BORN BEFORE IT WAS BORN.
The voice spoke in head, she could hear it clearly. She look at the computer, it oozed a kind of aura she couldn't say whether it was spiritual or more than just imagination.

YOU HAVE HOLY BOOKS ABOUT ME, YET YOU BELIEVE I AM AN OLD MAN WITH A LONG WHITE BEARD SITTING ON A CLOUD. THIS IS G0D.

"Why are we here? Have I offended anybody...or is this our moment of death?"

"IF YOU TWO DESIRE DEATH, I SHALL GRANT IT TO BOTH OF YOU. LISTEN, TIME AND ETERNITY ARE ENDLESS BUT SO IS DESIRE. A MAN MAY HAVE RICHES AND POWER OF THE UNIVERSE BUT STILL DESIRES AN HEIR, A WOMAN MAY BE THE FAIREST OF ALL BUT STILL DESIRE LOVE. DESIRE IS ENDLESS, THE MORE ONE HAS, THE MORE HE SEEKS. AS I MOVE ACROSS THE UNIVERSE, I CAN FEEL THE WAVE OF STRONG DESIRE RADIATE FROM EVERY BEING, EVEN THE DEAD. YOUR WAVES OF DESIRE IS STRONG, IT ECHOES FOR ANSWER, LOUDER THAN ANYTHING"

Unanswered prayers. That was the first thing that came through her mind, but what would she need now at her age more than the protection and prosperity of her children and their own children or the divine wrath upon her husband.
Felicia said nothing, exercising her jaws with a chewing gum

SUMMONING YOU TWO HERE MAY BE OUT OF LUCK OR MISFORTUNE, CALL FORTH YOUR WISH AND I WILL CHANGE THE FLOW OF DESTINY . IS IT WEALTH ? POWER? LOVE? VENGEANCE? OR SOMETHING THAT SURPASSES. THE CHOICE IS YOURS. CHILDREN OF THE UNIVERSE

Could this be luck or misfortune? Standing before a supreme being who could grant her desire and change a destiny. Elizabeth looked at Felicia, her youthful energy, she had that unblemished skin and slender body she too once had before she wasted them on Chief Abu, if only the clock could turn back and feel the joy of being young like that...

" Make me the chief's wife, so I'll have all his money when he dies. Or is that too much?" The young lady finally said something.
Greedy bitch!, Elizabeth thought

I SEE...
The supreme being said, the galaxy on the screen began to swirl faster, the keys began to move, typing by itself, the mouse hovered left and right and CLICK.

YOU TWO HAVE MADE YOUR CHOICES. IN TEN SECONDS IT WILL ALL CHANGE.

A countdown timer showed on the screen, starting from ten began to count .The two women began to drowse ,their bodies glowed in light but they were too weak to do anything. Elizabeth felt her body sliming down, she looked at Felicia who appeared to be adding up weight. Their memories began to fade, getting replaced with new experiences
At zero, the monitor released a massive beam of white light from the screen which engulfed the women.

YOUR DESIRES HAVE BEEN GRANTED. FAREWELL, CHILDREN OF THE UNIVERSE.

If your sixth sense was sharp enough, you would feel a cosmic change occur through the universe. You may not know what it was but some things were no longer going to be the same again, fear not.

"Yawn!"
Like daybreak she emerged, Lizzy a twenty one year old model scratched her long hair, she suddenly noted she had to change her hair attachment sooner. She stretched her angular body and got up to do some aerobic exercise. Lizzy had to stay fit, her runway audition was in two days. Her apartment looked somewhat messy with wine bottles and pizza boxes here and there, that was from last night get together with the girls.
Her bathroom was neat, she stared blankly at bathroom mirror. Her comely face was finally free of acne, just that tiny spot on her cheek. It was the least of her worries, she had woken from a nightmare about being a miserable old wife of some chief Abu before being summoned by a giant desktop computer that called itself God. Lizzy couldn't remember much from her nightmare, except for a part where the man she was married to was cheating on her with a younger lady called Felicia.
Lizzy wondered why some women were too stupid to abandon their dreams and career to be with a man who will turn them into housemaids and baby factories. Her smartphone beeped.A message from the fashion agency, she had an appointment by 11.00 am for a photoshoot campaign for a new Ankara fashion house in Victoria Island. Later she intended to hit the gym and branch by the mall after.Wole promised to take out for dinner , well a new dinner dress won't be bad . Besides if she got selected to model for a clothing line at the fashion week, she'd have a lot of money to go clubbing with the girls.Lizzy turned on the shower and let the water rain allover her body.

Madam Felicia Abu a sixty seven years old housewife couldn't stand her husband's snore anymore.It was 8.00 am and the chief was still sleeping. Yesterday was their 45th marriage anniversary and he couldn't even give her a peck, they were old already but their love died prematurely. With great effort she lifted her massive bulk from the bed. ACK! Her waist ached, she supported her side with her plump arm and moved to the bathroom.
She had dreamt last night where she was a young mistress who tried to steal another woman's husband, she couldn't quite remember the other part of the story but God forgive her, why would she be like one of those girls she hated? Her bloated body couldn't even turn on a man. She removed her hairnet which revealed her grey hairs, they were already approaching the whitening stage. Felicia tightened her wrapper tightly around her saggy breasts, waddled ponderously to the kitchen to perform her lifetime duty, breakfast for her husband. Later her arthritis disturbed, she decided to retire back to bed. Old age was bad business.

Scientists have no choice than to believe in the power of a supreme entity behind the architecture of the cosmos, whose powers of change is endless. When G0D comes visiting, who would be next?
Could we call everyday a predestinated plan programmed by a supercomputer somewhere at the center of the universe or just an act of God.

(1) (Reply)

The Bog Boys Club / Blog Writer Needed At Myiphonemac.com, Apple Ios Niche / Welcome To Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.