Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,789 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:37 PM

ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday (11784 Views)

ASUU Strike: Lecturers Speak On Being Distracted By 2019 Election / ASUU Strike: Lecturers Walk Out Of Meeting With Government Delegation / ASUU Strike: Lecturers Meet FG Delegation, Fix Another Meeting For Monday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by Magichand: 8:33pm On Nov 14, 2018
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) will tomorrow (Thursday) hold the crucial meeting with the Nigerian government.

Thursday’s meeting is at the invitation of the federal government.

Confirming this development, the president of ASUU, Biodun Ogunyemi, said the lecturers are not optimistic about the outcome of the meeting which he said ”will determine the seriousness of the Nigerian government towards ending the strike.” “The government has invited us for a meeting tomorrow, we are not sure of their seriousness because we have been discussing with them for 16 months without any result,” he said.

On the readiness of the lecturers to call off the strike if tomorrow’s meeting swings in their favour, he said “after the meeting, we will tell members the outcome.
They are the only ones who can decide to call off the strike.”

The official also said he is not concerned about the formation of a parallel union by some aggrieved lecturers, ”who have kept on teaching regardless of the strike order.” Some lecturers at the Obafemi Awolowo University under a rival union, Congress of Nigerian Universities Academics have been teaching despite the strike. “ASUU is the only recognised lecturers’ body, some persons are free to show they are annoyed but truthfully, the strike is on and all lecturers have respected it,” the official said.

He also denied rumours that the lecturers have accepted government’s proposal to set up an education bank, which was one of the reasons they went on strike in the first place. “We have not accepted education banking. We were surprised on reports that we accepted it. It is a means to exploit students and make them pay tuition fee. “Some students do not get jobs even five years after graduation and they will be asked to repay a million naira. That is selling them to slavery totally,” he said.

Other demands of ASUU include improved funding of education and improved teaching and learning conditions in the universities.

More below:

https://zenithnaija.com/ASUU-strike-lecturers-to-hold-crucial-meeting-with-govt-on-thursday/

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by Ufedolove: 8:41pm On Nov 14, 2018
I don't know if I want them to call off this strike or not.
I don't want stagnation neither do I want to go through school stress this year again

5 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by niskill: 9:27pm On Nov 14, 2018
okay
Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by Elzak(m): 10:29pm On Nov 14, 2018
Ufedolove:
I don't know if I want them to call off this strike or not.
I don't want stagnation neither do I want to go through school stress this year again
dis one na lazy Igala somebody

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by justflow1(m): 12:37am On Nov 15, 2018
See as them two two they use our life take play chess..... We b pawn, anguish is next to our doorsteps... But wetin me i know for sure na him b say one day pawn go reach the other end and by one way or the other e go become one of the decision makers on the board

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by naijaguy123456(m): 9:23am On Nov 15, 2018
It must be a sin to be born in Nigeria. In many European countries, some universities offer 2 years degree. Get your GCSE , apply to your universities of choice , off you go. Finished your studies, to labor market and your first house mortgage by the time you're 26.

In Nigeria you have your O' level AAAAA then you must write jamb (a scam) then 4 years in uni + ASU strike = 5 years plus and another wasted 1 year on NYSC nonsense.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by Bossontop(m): 9:23am On Nov 15, 2018
undecided
Students ryt now for night vigil

[img]https://media./images/8529c923bcde6d6d2e3d83fb874689d6/tenor.gif[/img]

8 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by Geneeplk: 9:23am On Nov 15, 2018
Locate, Monitor & Control your vehicle 24/7 with your phone, tablet & PC.

Protect your vehicles with the latest, advanced and effective technology and experience peace of mind by knowing the real time location of your vehicle at all time.

Listen to voice conversation going on in your vehicle remotely from your phone in real time and plan your next move irrespective of the distance.

Take 100% control of your car at all time. Stop and Resume your car engine from anywhere you are when neccessary.

FOR CAR TRACKER INSTALLATION IN ABUJA, LAGOS, PORTHERCOURT, OWERRI,ILORIN, KOGI, BENIN CITY PLS CALL THE PHONE NUMBER BELOW. PRICE IS #35.000..INSTALLTION TAKES LESS THAN 30 MINUTES.
Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by lollyheart: 9:25am On Nov 15, 2018
KERO 350...HOW WILL I SURVIVE IN SKUL WITH NO MONI FOR GAS...GBESE
Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by TheMoniker: 9:25am On Nov 15, 2018
No end in sight. Buhari is an illiterate and doesn’t care about education, why is it so difficult for people to understand this fact and prepare for 2019 election. Students should vote en mass for pdp. Btw, most students got their pvc in their various campuses but will be given break during election, how will they vote? I remember I sold mine for 5k when I was in uni.

5 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by searchproject(f): 9:25am On Nov 15, 2018
ASUU:
ASUU said though Students are seriously affected by Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) action, the truth of the matter is that people need to appreciate the content of the complaint that the union is making and the issues involved in this. We can’t continue to pretend that all is well. If Nigeria were to be a poor country, we would endure the situation of things in the education sector but we all know that Nigeria is not a poor country as I had earlier said. This strike is for the good of everyone. It is not about ASUU alone. If there is good and conducive learning and hostel environment, students will be the most beneficiaries. He insisted that the strike Read More..

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by atikulated2019: 9:26am On Nov 15, 2018
sell this country on eBay and share d moni
Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by CornelG(m): 9:27am On Nov 15, 2018
All I know ASUU is a scam but I pray the meeting ends in a good note!!!

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by MAJORBANKZ(m): 9:28am On Nov 15, 2018
... and the lord hardened the heart of pharaoh. ASUU and FG should better respect their selves. majority of the student would be glad if nothing happens till December. so that by January, we'll set our minds on a full academic year

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by free2ryhme: 9:29am On Nov 15, 2018
Magichand:
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) will tomorrow (Thursday) hold the crucial meeting with the Nigerian government.

Confirming this development, the president of ASUU, Biodun Ogunyemi, said the lecturers are not optimistic about the outcome of the meeting which he said ”will determine the seriousness of the Nigerian government towards ending the strike.” “The government has invited us for a meeting tomorrow, we are not sure of their seriousness because we have been discussing with them for 16 months without any result,” he said.

On the readiness of the lecturers to call off the strike if tomorrow’s meeting swings in their favour, he said “after the meeting, we will tell members the outcome.

The official also said he is not concerned about the formation of a parallel union by some aggrieved lecturers, ”who have kept on teaching regardless of the strike order.” Some lecturers at the Obafemi Awolowo University under a rival union, Congress of Nigerian Universities Academics have been teaching despite the strike. “ASUU is the only recognised lecturers’ body, some persons are free to show they are annoyed but truthfully, the strike is on and all lecturers have respected it,” the official said.

He also denied rumours that the lecturers have accepted government’s proposal to set up an education bank, which was one of the reasons they went on strike in the first place. “We have not accepted education banking. We were surprised on reports that we accepted it. It is a means to exploit students and make them pay tuition fee. “Some students do not get jobs even five years after graduation and they will be asked to repay a million naira. That is selling them to slavery totally,” he said.

Other demands of ASUU include improved funding of education and improved teaching and learning conditions in the universities.

More below:

https://zenithnaija.com/ASUU-strike-lecturers-to-hold-crucial-meeting-with-govt-on-thursday/

pls who will help us carry bomb and detonate it in that meeting so that all this wahala will end
Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by free2ryhme: 9:30am On Nov 15, 2018
Magichand:

More below:

these people enjoy suffering Nigerian students
Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by YorubaEmir: 9:32am On Nov 15, 2018
To be honest, I want the strike to continue for another 6 months grin

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by AnanseK(m): 9:38am On Nov 15, 2018
"The Atikulate Business Theory: Sell to yourself Government assets that leaves millions in penury, to set up personal businesses that provides for a few. Atiku Abubakar didn't employ the few hundreds he employed because he likes them, he needs them to work to preserve what he took from Government.
A man who supervised sales of over 145 federal investments as a vice president, without a thought for today wants to be president.
He didnt revitalize them.
He didnt resuscitate them.
He sold them mainly to himself."
Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by tyup(m): 9:40am On Nov 15, 2018
YorubaEmir:

Lol padi mi your head dey there

me I even wish the strike extend to 8month grin
Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by Adewale1603(m): 9:41am On Nov 15, 2018
YorubaEmir:
If i bite you
Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by Pekun210(m): 9:41am On Nov 15, 2018
MAJORBANKZ:
... and the lord hardened the heart of pharaoh. ASUU and FG should better respect their selves. majority of the student would be glad if nothing happens till December. so that by January, we'll set our minds on a full academic year

some of us need to finish the the academic session this year also
Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by Kamxin(m): 9:43am On Nov 15, 2018
This is smoke screen at best.
ASUU knows that the strike have to be once and for all like 2013. So students have their destiny in their hands either to Move forward or backward.I think improving your digital skill is a bet you can take to the bank. This is the only way to remain relevant in any workspace.Very sophiscated accounting packages, biz analytics packages, advertising tools, information security in work place. Guess what?If you have bad foundation digitally you would be easily bullied out of a job you haveas dream job.Make hay while he sun shine. ASUU strike remain a cloud with golden liningOpportunities remain unlimited while ASUU stike last.for more info, field by field breakdown of It skill suitablefor each profession and where to get them.
Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by YorubaEmir: 9:44am On Nov 15, 2018
tyup:

Lol padi mi your head dey there

me I even wish the strike extend to 8month grin

Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by Adewale1603(m): 9:45am On Nov 15, 2018
YorubaEmir:
Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by qanda: 9:46am On Nov 15, 2018
Dear Undergraduates, To earn side income, you can make good money buy distributing and monetizing your study materials (Past Questions and Lecture Notes) on Q and A App. Simply download the App on Playstore, Create an Account, Start selling and make money. You can also source study materials from the App.

Download Q and A App from Google Playstore
Re: ASUU Strike: Lecturers To Meeting With Government On Thursday by SignatureNG(f): 9:46am On Nov 15, 2018
Their children school abroad so?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpAUhw6q2k4

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 5 Things To Do After Writing Post UTME / How To Become A More Successful Student / NUC Approves 29 New Programmes For Federal University, Lokoja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.