Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,385 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:18 AM

For Parents-to-be: Why Your Baby Cries Like He/she Is In So Much Pains - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / For Parents-to-be: Why Your Baby Cries Like He/she Is In So Much Pains (441 Views)

When Your Newborn Baby Cries / Please Help,i Feel So Much Pains In My Stomach / Florida Man With The Largest Feet Reveals It Feels Like He’s ‘walking On Glass’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

For Parents-to-be: Why Your Baby Cries Like He/she Is In So Much Pains by HealthFixHub: 4:57am On Nov 16, 2018

Purple Crying Period in Infants

Really, what came to your mind when you first encountered the phrase “purple crying period in infants”? A while ago, before the cries of my aunt’s baby accompanied with an expression that made it seem like she was going through so much pain got me really worried, I used to think the phrase was just coined from a cartoon where a baby turned purple when he/she cried – probably from Shrek.

Contrarily to all that, purple crying period in infants simply refers to a period when babies cry excessively. And more often than not, they cry for no obvious reasons, resisting all attempts to be soothed. This period often gets a lot of parents worried as they fear that something is wrong with their baby. However, after each visit to the doctor, they get the very same response, “There’s absolutely nothing wrong, you have a healthy baby.”

The purple crying period in infants is simply a developmental stage which is very normal for babies to go through. It begins when the baby is about 2 weeks and continues until the baby is about 3-4 months of age.

“It was all so scary,” said one mum. “Our baby giggles and smiles throughout the day, but from 6 pm, he starts crying. If she is so healthy, why does she cry and look like she is in so much pain?" It is very easy for parents to get worried during ‘this’ purple crying period in infants because:

#1 The baby cries more and more as the week goes by, the most in month 2.
#2 The crying comes and goes without any noticeable provocation.
#3 He/she resists soothing no matter what you try.
#4 The baby wears a pain-like expression while crying (even when they are not).
#5 Sometimes, the crying spans 5 hours a day or even more.
#6 More often, the baby cries more in the late afternoon and evening

You may be glad to know, (I was) that the term “PURPLE“ in the phrase Purple crying period in infants is an acronym. The acronym was formed by Dr. Ronald Barr, a developmental pediatrician whose probably done the most studies on infant crying than anyone else. His reason for creating the acronym was to explain to parents of new babies that the purple crying period in infants is normal and to also let them know that it would come to an end.

Here’s what the acronym PURPLE stands for.

True, the period of purple crying in infants can be very frustrating for parents even though it is normal. Trying to give each other as much support as you can, will help greatly. You can also read this helpful article that teaches a secret trick to instantly stop babies from crying.

After I learned all of this, I thought I should share the information with parents and everyone else. I hope it helps parents worry less about their babies during the purple crying period. Perhaps, it will also help people who like I once did, think the purple crying period in infants is just a term coined from a cartoon-like Shrek.

Have you in any way experienced the purple crying period in infants? Share your experiences via the comment session below.
You may follow the link to see an educative video.

Source: https://www.healthfixhub.com/2018/10/29/purple-crying-period-in-infants/

_Lalasticlala
_Sissy3
_dominique
_Mynd44
_Obinoscopy

1 Like

Re: For Parents-to-be: Why Your Baby Cries Like He/she Is In So Much Pains by hopeforcharles(m): 5:09am On Nov 16, 2018
Nice information

(1) (Reply)

Very Fat People Let's Meet Here Pls. / Tips To Help You Stay Healthy This Harmattan Season / Facts About Breast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.