Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,841 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:47 PM

This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) (53174 Views)

Why Do We Have To Raise Airplane Window Blinds Before Landing? / In A Plane At 30,000ft & Pilots Are Fighting Like This, What Will You Do?(Pic) / Photos Of The New Aircraft Launched By Air Peace As Nigerian Pilots Make History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by lightblazingnow(m): 9:16am On Nov 16, 2018
Hotfreeze:
White clouds behind airplanes aren't fuel, don't let the OP mislead you.

Those white streaks planes leave behind are actually artificial clouds. They're called contrails, which is a shortened version of the phrase “condensation trail." Airplane engines produce exhaust, just like car engines do. As hot exhaust gases escape from a plane, the water vapor in the fumes hits the air.

TechCapon, stick to your tech blogging about chargers and earpieces and stop misleading people. You think pilots dump fuel indiscriminately? Nigger thinks aviation fuel is tap water.

You should be ashamed of your crazy mind.

Fuel dumping (or a fuel jettison) is a procedure used by aircraft in certain emergency situations before a return to the airport shortly after takeoff, or before landing short of its intended destination (emergency landing) to reduce the aircraft's weight.
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by ogunsbanjul(m): 9:16am On Nov 16, 2018
I love the lecture like kilodeeeeeeee. Thanks for the tip
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by forghon: 9:18am On Nov 16, 2018
That's contrails Contrails (/ˈkɒntreɪlz/; short for "condensation trails"wink are line-shaped cloudsproduced by aircraft engine exhaust or changes in air pressure, typically at aircraft cruise altitudes several miles above the Earth's surface. Contrails are composed primarily of water, in the form of ice crystals. The combination of water vapor in aircraft engine exhaust and the low ambient temperatures that exist at high altitudes allows the formation of the trails. Impurities in the engine exhaust from the fuel, including sulfur compounds (0.05% by weight in jet fuel) provide some of the particles that can serve as sites for water droplet growth in the exhaust and, if water droplets form, they might freeze to form ice particles that compose a contrail.[1] Their formation can also be triggered by changes in air pressure in wingtip vortices or in the air over the entire wing surface.[2] Contrails, and other clouds directly resulting from human activity, are collectively named homogenitus.[3]

2 Likes

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by McEphiks(m): 9:19am On Nov 16, 2018
obailala:

OP's post isn't wrong (cos fuel dump also creates white trails), but it's very misleading. That is because 90% of the times you see those white trails, it's actually contrails and not fuel dumping; fuel dumping happens only very rarely.

I quickly confirmed online before I commented. Even the bible says after hearing "they continued examining the scirptures daily as to whether the things are true".

1 Like

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by forghon: 9:19am On Nov 16, 2018
Hotfreeze:

Those white streaks planes leave behind are actually artificial clouds. They're called contrails, which is a shortened version of the phrase “condensation trail." Airplane engines produce exhaust, just like car engines do. As hot exhaust gases escape from a plane, the water vapor in the fumes hits the air.

TechCapon, stick to your tech blogging about chargers and earpieces and stop misleading people. You think pilots dump fuel indiscriminately? Nigger thinks aviation fuel is tap water.
yes sir that's nt fuel it contrails

1 Like

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by TechCapon(m): 9:19am On Nov 16, 2018
stankezzy:
As an engineer , there are some parts that does not add up in the write up , if he said the maximum take off weight is 312000kg and the maximum landing weight is also 312000kg , and that any over weight will indicate , it then mean that the air craft can't take off with weight exceeding the maximum so why dump expensive fuel if u take off with maximum and will land with same maximum , abi plane de add weight for air or some passengers go enter for cloud?
I never said maximum take off weight is 312000kg. That's the maximum landing weight of a Boeing 747. Different aircraft has different landing weights. The take off weight is always heavier than the landing weight. Sometimes above 420,000kg.
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by SarkinYarki: 9:20am On Nov 16, 2018
TechCapon:
I know what contrail is. Stop making fool of yourself. Are you saying that fuel dumping never occurs or what?

Oga fuel dumping occurs and it's done in a controlled pattern from nozzles at the wing tip and you can never see it from the ground , it will take a very eagle eyed passenger around the wing area to see it ...Please let's stop all this ignorant misinformation and please never argue about planes with me ..I hope you know not all commercial planes can even dump fuel e.g the Boeing 737 doesnt dump and must do a burnout if it must shed fuel weight for safety...Nigerians are the only people who don't know something be arguing witgose that thoroughly thoroughly know it ..I thoroughly know planes so better take my advice sir

8 Likes

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Hotfreeze: 9:22am On Nov 16, 2018
lightblazingnow:

Fuel dumping (or a fuel jettison) is a procedure used by aircraft in certain emergency situations before a return to the airport shortly after takeoff, or before landing short of its intended destination (emergency landing) to reduce the aircraft's weight.

You're an unenlightened twerp and you wear your ignorance like a badge of honour.

How many times have you seen this procedure with your own eyes?
You think aircraft dump fuel indiscriminately that you'll see it while eating leftover rice in your kitchen?
Funny clown.

Go and read the OP's conclusion about the white trails we see behind airplanes every time and stop advertising your foolishness here.

3 Likes

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by winniecurtis: 9:23am On Nov 16, 2018
Wow.....Thanks a bullion+
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by blesssingtime(m): 9:25am On Nov 16, 2018
Hotfreeze:

This gat me laughing real hard

5 Likes

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by obailala(m): 9:26am On Nov 16, 2018
McEphiks:

I quickly confirmed online before I commented. Even the bible says after hearing "they continued examining the scirptures daily as to whether the things are true".
Yeah... it's always good to confirm, but hope you also tried to confirm what I said too about contrails being the more prevalent reason behind those white trails and not fuel dumping which happens very rarely (mainly during emergencies)?

2 Likes

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by richiepolymer(m): 9:26am On Nov 16, 2018
smiley
Another reason for fuel dumping is engine failure. If a 4 engine aircraft loses an engine mid flight, the earlier calculations made will be altered hence dumping off some fuel will be necessary.

TechCapon:
TechCapon

EMERGENCY

For example, a plane that’s suppose to fly from Lagos to New York city loads enough fuel to reach their destination. Everything is going fine then suddenly a pregnant woman who is on board goes into labor. If there’s no nurse on board and the flight attendants cannot handle the issue, the only choice will be to make an emergency landing.

The flight crew will alert the pilots on the situation and the pilots will have to land in the nearest airport. The first thing the pilots will check is the weight of the aircraft. For an aircraft that has enough fuel to reach New York, of course the landing weight will be far above normal. In this scenario, the pilot must dump enough fuel in order to reduce the weight of the aircraft before landing.

The pilots have no choice. There are 3 things that add weight to an aircraft. Passengers, luggage and fuel. Obviously the pilots cannot dump passengers. Neither can they dump cargo (except in very rare cases), the only option is to dump fuel.

The pilot will dump the fuel, make the emergency landing in order to get the pregnant woman to the hospital, refuel before they can continue the journey. Of course dumping fuel is a big loss to the airline companies. They lose big money anytime these things occur but it’s better to dump fuel than land an overweight aircraft thereby damaging the aircraft or jeopardizing the lives of everyone on board.

SOURCE:https://techcapon.com/this-is-the-major-reason-why-pilots-dump-fuel-before-landing/

lalasticlala
mynd44
dominique
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Beetunez44(m): 9:27am On Nov 16, 2018
festyese:
We learn everyday. I ask a friend of mine just last week the reason for the white smoke he said the white smoke stand for peace. He said when an aircraft is flying above a troubled state or country(country like Nigeria with boko haram wahala), they release the white smoke. Thank for this info.
PEACE!!! ?
you don't mean it
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by booblacain(m): 9:30am On Nov 16, 2018
festyese:
We learn everyday. I ask a friend of mine just last week the reason for the white smoke he said the white smoke stand for peace. He said when an aircraft is flying above a troubled state or country(country like Nigeria with boko haram wahala), they release the white smoke. Thank for this info.
chai, that guy is not your friend, flee from him.

1 Like

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by vislabraye(m): 9:30am On Nov 16, 2018
TechCapon:
TechCapon

EMERGENCY

For example, a plane that’s suppose to fly from Lagos to New York city loads enough fuel to reach their destination. Everything is going fine then suddenly a pregnant woman who is on board goes into labor. If there’s no nurse on board and the flight attendants cannot handle the issue, the only choice will be to make an emergency landing.

The flight crew will alert the pilots on the situation and the pilots will have to land in the nearest airport. The first thing the pilots will check is the weight of the aircraft. For an aircraft that has enough fuel to reach New York, of course the landing weight will be far above normal. In this scenario, the pilot must dump enough fuel in order to reduce the weight of the aircraft before landing.

The pilots have no choice. There are 3 things that add weight to an aircraft. Passengers, luggage and fuel. Obviously the pilots cannot dump passengers. Neither can they dump cargo (except in very rare cases), the only option is to dump fuel.

The pilot will dump the fuel, make the emergency landing in order to get the pregnant woman to the hospital, refuel before they can continue the journey. Of course dumping fuel is a big loss to the airline companies. They lose big money anytime these things occur but it’s better to dump fuel than land an overweight aircraft thereby damaging the aircraft or jeopardizing the lives of everyone on board.

SOURCE:https://techcapon.com/this-is-the-major-reason-why-pilots-dump-fuel-before-landing/

lalasticlala
mynd44
dominique

This is one of the most enlightening post o have read on NL. Good work.
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by McEphiks(m): 9:31am On Nov 16, 2018
obailala:
Yeah... it's always good to confirm, but hope you also tried to confirm what I said too about contrails being the more prevalent reason behind those white trails and not fuel dumping which happens very rarely (mainly during emergencies)?

Yes, I did. Three reasons were stated as to why contrails are been left behind by aircrafts including the OP's reason. It will suffice to say this piece is educative.
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by McEphiks(m): 9:32am On Nov 16, 2018
obailala:

Yes I did, so it will suffice to say this peice is educative.
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by TechCapon(m): 9:33am On Nov 16, 2018
vislabraye:

This is one of the most enlightening post o have read on NL. Good work.
thanks for the compliment
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Josh2x: 9:34am On Nov 16, 2018
festyese:

That your friend is a mad person grin grin

1 Like

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Passionate888: 9:34am On Nov 16, 2018
dadalicious:
Ignorance is really a disease.
When I wa younger, anytime I see that whitish clouds from an airplane, I always thought it was a jet moving very fast.
Thank bro for enlightenment
I always thought it was the fumes from the jet
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by TechCapon(m): 9:38am On Nov 16, 2018
lightblazingnow:

bros don't waste your time arguing with them. An ignorant person will always be an ignorant person. Even Jesus cannot convince everyone.
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by blessedmeme: 9:39am On Nov 16, 2018
somto10:
I never enter plane b4 na
hw i go take kno?

Don't worry some day you will. God will definitely pick your call. Believe me

1 Like

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Viking007(m): 9:39am On Nov 16, 2018
festyese:
OMG LMAO! cheesy cheesy

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by TechCapon(m): 9:39am On Nov 16, 2018
McEphiks:

OP is right. I just confirmed on Wikipedia.

Thumbs up OP, thanks for the enlightenment.
thanks
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Fadanath: 9:40am On Nov 16, 2018
Ur definition for Zero Fuel Weight(ZFW) is wrong.
*ZFW is the actual weight of an aircraft + Passengers weight + Baggage weight(that is payload) WITHOUT FUEL
that makes it Zero Fuel as its name implies.
* Dry operating weight + Payload + Zero fuel load = Take off weight THIS IS WRONG!
Thr is noting lyk Zero fuel load. wht ll gv u Take off weight is:
Dry Operating weight + Payload + Take Off Fuel= Take Off Weight
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by agarawu23(m): 9:43am On Nov 16, 2018
When I was young, when we see that line, we conclude that the plane is lost and it's sending signal for them to know they are lost. grin

1 Like

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Jetland(m): 9:44am On Nov 16, 2018
dadalicious:
Ignorance is really a disease.
When I wa younger, anytime I see that whitish clouds from an airplane, I always thought it was a jet moving very fast.
Thank bro for enlightenment
Yours is even better. Until now, I thought it was smoke coming from the exhauster (silencer) of the aeroplane just as smoke is emitted from motorcycle exhauster. In fact, ignorance is a disease.

2 Likes

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by gcof(m): 9:45am On Nov 16, 2018
Op so all the plane stops we see very high in the sky with those trail are about to land?

1 Like

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by luluosas(m): 9:45am On Nov 16, 2018
But I do see this white smoke in my village when aircraft are not preparing to land
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by herbbiordun2(m): 9:46am On Nov 16, 2018
What exactly is the white we see coming off an airplane in the sky. Sometimes in the summer you can lookup and see many streaks in the sky. They are much longer and last longer in the summer than winter. Please tell me what causes this and why they last longer in the summer.
The white streaks you see coming off airplanes are called contrails, which is short for condensation trail. Contrails are actually clouds made by the airplanes. There are two types of contrails.
Most contrails people see are caused by a jet's exhaust. The exhaust has some water vapor in it which mixes with the air when it leaves the jet's engine. Sometimes this mixture has too much water vapor for the air to hold and it condenses into a cloud. This is the most common kind of contrail and it lasts the longest.
The other kind of contrails are form by an airplane's wing. Air moves over the wings really fast and cools because of the low pressure. The cool air can't hold as much water so some of it has to condense. This kind of contrail isn't as long-lived as the other kind. The picture to the left is an example of this kind of contrail.
Contrails last longer when there is a greater amount of water in the air. During the summer, the air generally has more water vapor in it than during the winter. You might notice that it's usually more humid in the summer. Because it's more humid in the summer, contrails take longer to evaporate. That's why they last longer than in the winter.
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by gcof(m): 9:49am On Nov 16, 2018
Lokoyen:

U people av serious problems! Why not come up with your counter claims instead of trying to rubbish another man's post.
didnt you read his own explanation?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Driver,11 Passengers Dead As Young Shall Grow Bus Crashes Into A Truck(pics) / Ikorodu Pedestrian Bridge Collapses (Pictures) / Trailer And Fuel Tanker Collide On Suleja-Minna Road (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.