Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,946 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:46 AM

This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) (53166 Views)

Why Do We Have To Raise Airplane Window Blinds Before Landing? / In A Plane At 30,000ft & Pilots Are Fighting Like This, What Will You Do?(Pic) / Photos Of The New Aircraft Launched By Air Peace As Nigerian Pilots Make History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by babz11(m): 11:11am On Nov 16, 2018
The white line that we see from our houses, or in fact not just from houses, but the anywhere on the ground, are not from a rocket, but from a commercial jet aircraft. These may be:

Contrails (Condensation Trails), and
Wing tip vortices
Read on to know the simple details of what they actually are.

1. Contrails: The aircraft that we see in the sky leaving that white line are in most cases, flying at an altitude of more than 25,000 feet. The atmospheric temperature drops as we go higher (The same reason that tall mountains are freezing). It is, on average, is -35 deg Celsius. Just imagine, what will happen if you put a glass of water in your refrigerator ehich has a temperature of -0.18 deg Celsius. The aircraft engines produce exhaust by burning hydrocarbon fuel (High grade kerosene) . All such fuels on burning, produce water vapours too. On getting exposed to such freezing temperatures, the hot vapours cool down and condense into water droplets or may be into ice crystals sometimes, creating thw white line effect.

2. Wing Tip Vortices: These are more of a physics thing. The very reason that the aircraft flies is responsible for these tip vortices (Singular: Vortex). The reason is lift. The wings of aircraft are subject to lower pressure on the upper surface, and high pressure on the lower surface. This causes the air from the bottom surface to leak to upper part from the end part of the wing called the wing tip. This air lelakage creates a circular cyclone like structure called a vortex (The one you might have made in a bucket using your hand by moving the water in circular fashion). These also cause resistance to aircraft forward movement and is a cause of induced drag. The pressure due to the speed of the wind in this circular structure drops to a very low level, reducing the effective dew point of that region. This causes the air, which contains water vapours, to liquify or freeze, making them visible as white lines. They may not be visible everytime, but only in favourable conditions. However, they are always present. They can be reduced by using verticle smaller wings at the tip of the wing called winglets.

Am a student pilot stop telling us sheet here
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by ayeniblessing(m): 11:12am On Nov 16, 2018
[quote author=Hotfreeze post=73014236]White clouds behind airplanes aren't fuel, don't let the OP mislead you. Op is right
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by brightalo17: 11:32am On Nov 16, 2018
So plane will open it's yansh and be dumping fuel on air ? I find this very hard to believe .

1 Like

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by esun1: 11:33am On Nov 16, 2018
why would landing weight be more than take off weight when some fuel has been burnt before the emergency landing location has been gotten to, or do passenger weight increase during the flight
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 11:38am On Nov 16, 2018
TechCapon:
ur welcome

Stop misinforming pple. D consumption of fuel by d plane's engine is enough to reduce its weight.
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by MollyBank: 11:44am On Nov 16, 2018
XD3G:
This OP should be arrested immediately for this highly misleading information.

Fuel dumping kor, Fuel wasting ni.

What is the misleading information there? You mean fuel dumping doesn't exist?
I have known about fuel dumping since I was a kid.
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 11:47am On Nov 16, 2018
IbrahimDamola:

Is it with this your empty skull that I'm going to come record track with you. You dumb no be small.
nope on urs mumu
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by poiZon: 12:02pm On Nov 16, 2018
Imortal001:
Nice lecture, now i know what fuel dumping means! Thanks!
please explain what dumping means.
u know we hv plenty buharists here.
use picture where necessary
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by ferhyntorlah(f): 12:21pm On Nov 16, 2018
Kessykelly:
I know our ladies will not read this

I'm a lady and I read it.
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by balancediet(m): 12:28pm On Nov 16, 2018
Bro. Sam der is bible study in de evening
sammysammy111:
U deserve a bottle of cold beer op. Tank u very much
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Kadri4(m): 12:42pm On Nov 16, 2018
festyese:
We learn everyday. I ask a friend of mine just last week the reason for the white smoke he said the white smoke stand for peace. He said when an aircraft is flying above a troubled state or country(country like Nigeria with boko haram wahala), they release the white smoke. Thank for this info.
The white smoke is not fuel dumping, it is called condensation trails(contrail). The main cause of this is the pressure and temperature difference between the engine exhaust and the atmospheric condition

1 Like

Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by otabaotaba: 12:56pm On Nov 16, 2018
A very great lecture I will never forget, it took 31 years of my life to understand that what we use to call ' sign that rocket has passed' when we see that white line on the sky is not but only fuel dumping. Chaiii my father where are u, u have been decieving me since.
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by odutolu1(m): 1:09pm On Nov 16, 2018
TechCapon:
TechCapon

Have you ever looked up and saw an aircraft flying with long white lines like gas behind it ? I’ve seen it many times and what the aeroplane is doing is called fuel dumping. Now you’ll be wondering why pilots will dump fuel considering the fact that aviation fuel is very expensive and also causes serious pollution to the environment. In this post techcapon be explaining to you why it is necessary for the pilots to dump fuel sometimes.

Now this also includes our local airlines in Nigeria like DANA, AERO etc. Although fuel dumping is more common with airlines that travel long distances and make international flights. Before take-off, the airline do the maths. They calculate how much fuel is needed to the aircraft to complete their journey and they fill the aircraft tanks with enough fuel to make the complete their journey. There are some terms I’ll like to explain in this post for you to understand how it works.

Dry operating weight: This is the weight of the plane without fuel, passengers or luggage.

Payload: This is the weight of the passengers and their luggage

Zero fuel weight: This is the weight of the fuel needed to reach their final destination including reserve.

Dry operating weight + Payload + Zero fuel load = Take-off weight

Take-off weight MUST always be greater than landing weight

The major reason why pilots dump fuel is because the landing weight of the plane exceeds the maximum. Inside the cockpit, pilots have a meter that tells them the weight of the aircraft at all times. For example, Boeing 747 aircrafts have a maximum landing weight of 312000kg.

Anything above that weight will cause the aircraft to suffer serious damage during landing or even crash during landing. Infact, if the maximum take-off weight is above 312000kg, the cockpit will blink red lights and give the pilots warning. The question on your mind right now will be, if the airline calculates how much fuel is needed to arrive their destination, why dump fuel before arriving ? The answer is simple.

bullshit. crap
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by majamajic(m): 1:12pm On Nov 16, 2018
the white lines are from the exhaust of the plane going through or coming out of a thick cloud, that's when u see those white lines, if a plane dumps fuel it's invisible !!!
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by skykenny: 1:20pm On Nov 16, 2018
Our local airlines will never dump their fuel for any reason. Aah! to incure loss? The pilot must land the aircraft like that o. Anything wey go happen make e happen even if it's an emergency landing. Pilot dump the fuel & pay for the lost.
Wait o. That man at the LHS of the 2nd pics, na Obama brother?
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Brainardc(m): 2:11pm On Nov 16, 2018
Quite informative....... wow! never knew about it until now #thanks
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by khalidx: 2:13pm On Nov 16, 2018
this post is totally misleading .
lalasticala
this is contrail o
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by majamajic(m): 2:25pm On Nov 16, 2018
otabaotaba:
A very great lecture I will never forget, it took 31 years of my life to understand that what we use to call ' sign that rocket has passed' when we see that white line on the sky is not but only fuel dumping. Chaiii my father where are u, u have been decieving me since.

now u are deceiving yourself , the white lines are not fuel dumping lines, instead it's when the plane exhaust pipes pass through a thick cloud on coming out u see those white lines, especially on a sunny afternoon, or if the plane is on a sunny side while u are on a bit sunsetting side ,
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by 042rep(m): 2:44pm On Nov 16, 2018
Misleading post...
GrandMufti:

Me sef surprise o. That shows you how gullible Nigerians can be

Op take this post down angry
Op please stop saying what you don't know..
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by akilo1: 3:32pm On Nov 16, 2018
What of if landing weight is still hire after dumping fuel ,what will the pilot do?to dump passenger? grin
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by DrMeroThaEmperor(m): 3:35pm On Nov 16, 2018
Pregnant women who are almost due are not allowed to board a long-distance flight.

I think this post is not well researched.
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by counta23: 4:17pm On Nov 16, 2018
dadalicious:
Ignorance is really a disease.
When I was younger, anytime I see that whitish clouds from an airplane, I always thought it was a jet moving very fast.
Thanks bro for enlightenment
You are correct. It could also be a jet.
"Jets leave white trails, or contrails, in their wakes for the same reason you can sometimes see your breath. The hot, humid exhaust from jet engines mixes with the atmosphere, which at high altitude is of much lower vapor pressure and temperature than the exhaust gas."

Source: Why do jets leave a white trail in the sky? - Scientific American
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-do-jets-leave-a-white/
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by benjanny(m): 4:31pm On Nov 16, 2018
Thank you for this,I learn a new thing today
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by olaoye15(m): 6:57pm On Nov 16, 2018
dadalicious:
When I was younger, anytime I see that whitish clouds from an airplane, I always thought it was a jet moving very fast.

You absolutely spoke my mind. Thanks for the piece OP.
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Ranchhoddas: 7:15pm On Nov 16, 2018
festyese:
We learn everyday. I ask a friend of mine just last week the reason for the white smoke he said the white smoke stand for peace. He said when an aircraft is flying above a troubled state or country(country like Nigeria with boko haram wahala), they release the white smoke. Thank for this info.
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by liyahwillie(f): 7:45pm On Nov 16, 2018
nice one I learnt something new
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Samfigo1(m): 9:07pm On Nov 16, 2018
dadalicious:

You must be from Ibadan like myself grin
dadalicious:

You must be from Ibadan like myself
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Lokoyen(m): 11:09pm On Nov 16, 2018
Hotfreeze:

Which useless post? You think pilots dump fuel indiscriminately?
I pointed out the fallacy in his post and you're talking nonsense.

The OP doesn't know Jack about aviation and he's talking arrant nonsense as far as this matter is concerned.

You on the other hand are incapable of learning anything useful.

Point me to a thread you create with facts to negate what this op posted and stop talking none sense.
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by Flypep: 11:27pm On Nov 16, 2018
This is well garnished but total crap and lies. Please get professional inputs and stop spreading falsehood. Read up wing tip vortices and cirrus clouds.
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by inereunwa1(m): 6:27am On Nov 17, 2018
overdrive:
will the pregnant woman be charged for the dumped fuel
ta who tell you?? is she not a customer?? customers are always right grin grin
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by XD3G: 9:32am On Nov 17, 2018
MollyBank:

What is the misleading information there? You mean fuel dumping doesn't exist?
I have known about fuel dumping since I was a kid.

Hi Mate, there is Fuel Dumping quite all right, but the height at which the dumping is done, it will not be visible to the eyes from ground Zero.
What is misleading here is calling ConTrail, Fuel Dumping. This information is capable of causing unnecessary panic, hence, why i suggested OP's arrest.
Good morning
Re: This Is The Major Reason Why Pilots Dump Fuel Before Landing. (PHOTOS) by XD3G: 9:35am On Nov 17, 2018
Flypep:
This is well garnished but total crap and lies. Please get professional inputs and stop spreading falsehood. Read up wing tip vortices and cirrus clouds.

It's unfortunate how easily it has become, to disseminate a false information

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Current State Of Port-Harcourt Road In Aba - Worst Road In SE / Trailer And Fuel Tanker Collide On Suleja-Minna Road (Photos) / The Beauty Of Southern Nigeria Shocked Me! (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.