Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:33 PM

You Can Now Go To Jail For Sending These Social Media Messages - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / You Can Now Go To Jail For Sending These Social Media Messages (4765 Views)

What's A Good App For Sending Money In ECOWAS Countries? / Whatsapp Group Admin Lands In Jail For Spreading Fake News. / How To Retract Whatsapp Messages At Anytime Even After A Week! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Can Now Go To Jail For Sending These Social Media Messages by BrandSpurNG: 9:20am On Nov 17, 2018
According to the Businesstech website, "while the majority of the Bill focuses on criminalising the theft and interference of data, it has also introduced new laws surrounding any ‘malicious’ electronic communication."

The South African government recently criminalised malicious communications in South Africa, setting out a number of vague new messaging rules which could see you facing a hefty amount of jail time and/or a fine – even if your message is private.

The Cybercrime and Cybersecurity Bill which will be entered into the parliamentary discussion in the coming weeks has been introduced to bring South Africa in line with other countries’ cyber laws as well as the ever-growing threat of cybercrime.

While the majority of the Bill focuses on criminalising the theft and interference of data, it has also introduced new laws surrounding any ‘malicious’ electronic communication.

Your message could result in jail time of up to 3 years and/or a fine if:

- It incites the causing of any damage to any property belonging to, or violence against, a person or a group of persons;
- It intimidates, encourages or harasses a person to harm himself or herself or any other person;
- It is inherently false in nature and it is aimed at causing mental, psychological, physical or economic harm to a specific person or a group of persons;
- It is intimate in nature (aka nudity), and is distributed without the consent of the person involved.

In addition, the Bill compels all banking institutions, ISPs and cellular companies to assist in an investigation – allowing the government to access any pertinent private information stored on you as evidence.

However, deputy minister of justice and constitutional development, John Jeffery has insisted that the new bill is not an extension of government’s surveillance powers.

“Data is merely a means to commit offences such as fraud, damage of programmes and computer systems, extortion, forgery and uttering. It can also be used to commit murder by remotely switching of a respiratory system or terrorism by overloading the centrifuges of a nuclear station or remotely opening the sluices of a dam which causes large-scale flooding,” he said.

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/you-can-now-go-to-jail-for-sending-these-social-media-messages/

2 Likes

Re: You Can Now Go To Jail For Sending These Social Media Messages by OgogoroFreak(m): 9:33am On Nov 17, 2018
Are you okay? This is Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: You Can Now Go To Jail For Sending These Social Media Messages by Xisnin(m): 9:47am On Nov 17, 2018
Op, you should be sent to jail for spreading fake news.
Re: You Can Now Go To Jail For Sending These Social Media Messages by Born2Breed(f): 10:04am On Nov 17, 2018

Re: You Can Now Go To Jail For Sending These Social Media Messages by benzene00: 11:25am On Nov 17, 2018
Re: You Can Now Go To Jail For Sending These Social Media Messages by rodeo0070(m): 11:33am On Nov 17, 2018
Thanks OP for sharing this!. This is well received.

For those yelling this is Nigeria or Fake news, wait till you get arrested when you are in South Africa for committing any of the "crimes" above before you learn a lesson. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can Now Go To Jail For Sending These Social Media Messages by Mimienudles(f): 2:25pm On Nov 17, 2018
People go plenty ehn grin

1 Like

Re: You Can Now Go To Jail For Sending These Social Media Messages by Mimienudles(f): 2:26pm On Nov 17, 2018
Xisnin:
Op, you should be sent to jail for spreading fake news.
Yea, he should be used as an example

1 Like

Re: You Can Now Go To Jail For Sending These Social Media Messages by olucomf: 2:37pm On Nov 17, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Screen 4 Sale 25k. 09081590182
Re: You Can Now Go To Jail For Sending These Social Media Messages by dangoteinlaw: 3:31pm On Nov 17, 2018
Hmm

Re: You Can Now Go To Jail For Sending These Social Media Messages by flexerking(m): 4:27pm On Nov 17, 2018
rodeo0070:
Thanks OP for sharing this!. This is well received.

For those yelling this is Nigeria or Fake news, wait till you get arrested when you are in South Africa for committing any of the "crimes" above before you learn a lesson. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse...
hmm and hw many ppl here actually see dem going to Sa one day ?

ignoramus tongue
Re: You Can Now Go To Jail For Sending These Social Media Messages by Oluwasaeon(m): 4:45pm On Nov 17, 2018
We need the law here for our hungry bloggers
Re: You Can Now Go To Jail For Sending These Social Media Messages by Bouncingbabyboy(m): 5:41pm On Nov 17, 2018
BrandSpurNG:
According to the Businesstech website, "while the majority of the Bill focuses on criminalising the theft and interference of data, it has also introduced new laws surrounding any ‘malicious’ electronic communication."

The South African government recently criminalised malicious communications in South Africa, setting out a number of vague new messaging rules which could see you facing a hefty amount of jail time and/or a fine – even if your message is private.

The Cybercrime and Cybersecurity Bill which will be entered into the parliamentary discussion in the coming weeks has been introduced to bring South Africa in line with other countries’ cyber laws as well as the ever-growing threat of cybercrime.

While the majority of the Bill focuses on criminalising the theft and interference of data, it has also introduced new laws surrounding any ‘malicious’ electronic communication.

Your message could result in jail time of up to 3 years and/or a fine if:

- It incites the causing of any damage to any property belonging to, or violence against, a person or a group of persons;
- It intimidates, encourages or harasses a person to harm himself or herself or any other person;
- It is inherently false in nature and it is aimed at causing mental, psychological, physical or economic harm to a specific person or a group of persons;
- It is intimate in nature (aka nudity), and is distributed without the consent of the person involved.

In addition, the Bill compels all banking institutions, ISPs and cellular companies to assist in an investigation – allowing the government to access any pertinent private information stored on you as evidence.

However, deputy minister of justice and constitutional development, John Jeffery has insisted that the new bill is not an extension of government’s surveillance powers.

“Data is merely a means to commit offences such as fraud, damage of programmes and computer systems, extortion, forgery and uttering. It can also be used to commit murder by remotely switching of a respiratory system or terrorism by overloading the centrifuges of a nuclear station or remotely opening the sluices of a dam which causes large-scale flooding,” he said.

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/you-can-now-go-to-jail-for-sending-these-social-media-messages/
Buhari should be in jail for being the forefather of such
Re: You Can Now Go To Jail For Sending These Social Media Messages by oshe111(m): 5:45pm On Nov 17, 2018
How many jail them don jail those Ugly Xenophobic bastards?
Re: You Can Now Go To Jail For Sending These Social Media Messages by Finero1(m): 5:57pm On Nov 17, 2018
Hahahahahah smiley smiley
Re: You Can Now Go To Jail For Sending These Social Media Messages by islandmoon: 7:48pm On Nov 17, 2018
Buhari dissapoint me
O tiyeneke confusion
Buhari dissapoint me
Nyom kem dissapointment o
Buhari dissapoint me
Nyom kem confusion
Buhari dissapoint me
O tiyeneke dissapointment o
I don wait you sotey I don dey lose weight o

1 Like

Re: You Can Now Go To Jail For Sending These Social Media Messages by GiditechDOTtk(m): 8:18pm On Nov 17, 2018
islandmoon:
Buhari dissapoint me O tiyeneke confusion Buhari dissapoint me Nyom kem dissapointment o Buhari dissapoint me Nyom kem confusion Buhari dissapoint me O tiyeneke dissapointment o I don wait you sotey I don dey lose weight o

Lazy youth
Re: You Can Now Go To Jail For Sending These Social Media Messages by Viking007(m): 5:49am On Nov 18, 2018
Implementing such a law in Nigeria will go a long way in curbing the social media craze we are experiencing today.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can Now Go To Jail For Sending These Social Media Messages by Justmeal: 2:05pm On Dec 17, 2018
Mimienudles:

Yea, he should be used as an example
Gi is longing.
No means of communication except this platform.
It isn't easy.

Where the heck tha relief's gonna come from?

I miss you like heaven
Re: You Can Now Go To Jail For Sending These Social Media Messages by Mimienudles(f): 2:42pm On Dec 17, 2018
Justmeal:

Gi is longing.
No means of communication except this platform.
It isn't easy.

Where the heck tha relief's gonna come from?

I miss you like heaven

Olammmmmmmmmmmmi kiss kiss
Re: You Can Now Go To Jail For Sending These Social Media Messages by Justmeal: 3:30pm On Dec 17, 2018
Mimienudles:

Olammmmmmmmmmmmi kiss kiss
My Completeness
Re: You Can Now Go To Jail For Sending These Social Media Messages by jakandeola(m): 4:39pm On Jan 25, 2019
oshe111:
How many jail them don jail those Ugly Xenophobic bastards?
xhosanostra

(1) (Reply)

This phone has the longest battery Life / Who Else Got D GLO PAYU 100gb Data / Glo Don't Want Me To Subscribe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.