Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,846 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:18 AM

New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers (32420 Views)

Tinubu May Announce New Minimum Wage On Workers’ Day / New Minimum Wage: FG Announces Decision On Workers’ Salary / New Minimum Wage Begins Before End Of Sept ―FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by Transparent(m): 8:39am On Nov 18, 2018
The National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole, has taken a stand in the battle between Nigerian governors and labour unions over the N30,000 minimum wage.

Oshiomhole said the governors have no excuse to deny the workers the agreed minimum wage, adding that a labourer deserves to be paid as at when due.

Oshiomhole, who was the President of the Nigerian Labour Congress, NLC, told New Telegraph that delaying or refusing to pay workers hinders the economic development of any state.

The Nigerian Governors Forum, comprising the 36 states governors and the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, had after their meeting in Abuja last week, said they cannot pay the agreed N30000 minimum wage.

Oshiomhole said, “My views are clear that payment of wages is not an act of kindness for an employer to pay the employees’ wages at the end of the month.

“There are provisions in our Labour Act that says that you cannot delay the payment of salaries in excess of 30 days interval, which means salaries ought not to accumulate beyond 30 days.

“Government decides the size of its employment, but when it makes the decision to employ, it has the obligation to pay. Even the Holy Bible says that the labourer is entitled to his wages.

“I think again, this is where President Buhari stands out clearly. He has publicly asked public sector employers; how do you sleep when you have not paid your employees for one year.

“But he did not stop at lamenting, he went on to provide the much talked about bailout fund and said ‘please use this money to pay your workers and pay pension arrears.’

“And even the deductions from states that were done under the PDP in the name of settling our foreign debts, under President Buhari, despite the huge financial challenges that he faces, he decided to assist the states to meet up with their social obligations by paying what is now referred to as Paris Club refund.

“So, I am very proud that the President has conscience, he recognizes that the Nigerian worker deserves his wages and that is why he has publicly lamented that there are governors who have not paid salaries as and when due, whether they are PDP or APC is immaterial.

“And in seeking to deal with this, he has also provided support across party divide and I think that is statesmanship at its best.

“As for my views on the minimum wage, I tried to deal with it as a governor. I told my colleagues then that wage is not a burden.

“In Economics, when people work and get paid, purchasing power is enhanced and because purchasing power is enhanced, producers will respond to that by seeking to produce more goods and services. In the process, they will recruit more hands.

“But when you don’t pay wages, you create a vicious circle, nonpayment of wages leads to low purchasing power, nonpayment of rents, which compounds the problem of those who have invested in real estate thereby depressing the commercial life of the country.

“I tried to settle this question by increasing minimum wage in Edo State to N25,000 from N18,000. I remember some people calling me to ask how I will pay it. I am on record of having paid it and as we speak, my successor in office is paying it. I do not agree with those who say Nigeria cannot afford a more realistic minimum wage.

“My being in government or now chairman of a party cannot change what I believe in. I believe that no nation has enough to meet the greed of leaders, but nations have enough to meet the basic needs of their people.

“The real problem in the public sector is money being stolen in the name of salaries. I found it embarrassing when we talk about ghost workers. And I ask the question who counts ghosts? It is only in Nigeria that ghosts are known.

“The labourer deserves his wage, and the primary purpose of government is the welfare of its people. So, we must pay wages as and when due. “

https://dkmngr.com/new-minimum-wage-oshiomhole-breaks-silence-on-governors-refusal-to-workers-n30000/

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by Nobody: 8:42am On Nov 18, 2018
The only sensible thing Oshomole has said since assuming office as APC chairman.

139 Likes 13 Shares

Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by tsephanyah(f): 8:46am On Nov 18, 2018
Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say.
#oshiomoloted

42 Likes 6 Shares

Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by NaijaRoyalty(m): 8:47am On Nov 18, 2018
Still doesn't "Change" the fact that you're a thief .

23 Likes

Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by sluk(m): 8:50am On Nov 18, 2018
For the first time this man has made a sensible remark since he was made a party chairman.

24 Likes

Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by LibertyRep: 9:31am On Nov 18, 2018
Oshiomole is right.

Mr Chairman needs to heap all the praises on the president since he is the only one capable of saving his neck right now.

He should watch it not to also incur the wrath of more number of emperor governors who wouldn't like his new song about the contentious minimum wage.

My personal opinion about the minimum wage is that Labour should agitate first for the reduction in the gargantuan wastages in governance.

Force elected government officials and their appointees to cut down their allowances.

If the inflation isn't curtailed, 50k minimum will still be rendered useless in a couple of months

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by Oduwils222(m): 9:32am On Nov 18, 2018
Making top 10 of ftc. To God be the Glory
Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by globalresource: 9:32am On Nov 18, 2018
I'm not an APC fan but I think this statement is sensible coming from Oshiomole. I must say Kudos. Governors should know that the state money is not their family properties. They should learn to manage the state resources instead of spending it on frivolities. Payment of Salaries even though it is small will ensure circulation of money within the society. Bricklayers, cloth sellers etc will benefit

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by jikshane: 9:34am On Nov 18, 2018
If I sit down where osho sit so, I just dey imagine how handsome/fresh I'll be.

4 Likes

Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by divinelove(m): 9:35am On Nov 18, 2018
What is he saying self

Just beating about the bush
Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by Timolanki(m): 9:36am On Nov 18, 2018
The federal govt controls our oil money. They should increase governor's allocation and that will solve the problem. Talk to ur clueless master. I blame NLC for not embarking on strike

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by sureheaven(m): 9:37am On Nov 18, 2018
This man is a great man, a thorn and threat to PDP and enemies of nation.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by WeyreyHunter: 9:37am On Nov 18, 2018
tsephanyah:
Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say.
#oshiomoloted

5 Likes

Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by hush15: 9:39am On Nov 18, 2018
wizzyrich:
The only sensible thing Oshomole has said since assuming office as APC chairman.

But he didnt answer the question.
Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by Mankos(m): 9:39am On Nov 18, 2018
politics should be kept aside and the truth be told for once, welfarism of workers is very Paramount in a sane society. if political office holders can unified their salaries across board and positions there is no reason for not implementing workers who elect them to this offices. let's get things right for once.

1 Like

Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by EliteBeautyBlog(f): 9:39am On Nov 18, 2018
It takes some depth to understand the sense in some of Oshiomoles actions but I love this man, he get sense...

You don't know how lucky his wife is(funny, people think otherwise, ) people think he's the lucky one

SeeEBB Erotica Collection to read matured eroticas for emotional arousal.
Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by Dazaza: 9:41am On Nov 18, 2018
Well said, Almighty God will help us!
Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by kobabe(m): 9:41am On Nov 18, 2018
My man
Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by DOD88: 9:42am On Nov 18, 2018
Nice one. Though as a former NLC president, Oshiomhole is bound to support the workers agitation.

3 Likes

Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by Nobody: 9:43am On Nov 18, 2018
Well said
Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by Didi2d(m): 9:45am On Nov 18, 2018
Did Oshomole just said Edo state has been paying #25,000 minimum wage since he was the governor of the state? He even added that his predecessor still pay #25000. Like seriously

2 Likes

Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by mjabdulk: 9:46am On Nov 18, 2018
i wonder why these governors are not ready to pay the minimum wage upon all the bails out, paris club monies and monthly allocations stil some state governors are yet to pay salaries to their workers. shame to the corrupt people
Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by Topmaike007(m): 9:47am On Nov 18, 2018
osho my man
Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by abbeyty(m): 9:47am On Nov 18, 2018
They cannot pay N30000 minimum wage while they waste the money on paying the political apontiontees who majority of them do nothing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by Tekzyflex(m): 9:48am On Nov 18, 2018
They are all birds of the same feathers...Nigeria workers are still seen as slaves and servants. Seriously why are they called CIVIL SERVANT?
Can you imagine a governor promising Super Eagles $25,000 for any goal scored.
Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by vivianbelema(f): 9:48am On Nov 18, 2018
Good. next post pleaaaaaassssse
Re: New Minimum Wage: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Governors’ Refusal To Workers by DOD88: 9:48am On Nov 18, 2018
NaijaRoyalty:
Still doesn't "Change" the fact that you're a thief .
Please mind your language. It has not been proven that he stole or took bribe. All for now are mere speculations.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Meet The 16 Candidates Who Are Contesting To Be Governor Of Lagos. / Bukola Saraki Reacts To Bulkachuwa's Comment About His Wife / Seriake Dickson Leads With 25, 415 Votes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.