Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,497 members, 7,808,843 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:48 PM

Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum (3429 Views)

Top 20 Nigerian Internet Discussion Forum / Creating The Perfect Robots.txt For Your Wordpress Powered Blog / Website / A Fun And Easy Guide To Creating The Next Great Facebook App! And Make Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by Seun(m): 7:46pm On Apr 11, 2007
Hello,

I've decided to create the discussion forum to end all forums. A Nairaland for 'Web 2.0'.

- Like Youtube, Flicr and Del.Icio.us, it will use tagging for dynamic categorization.

- Like Gmail, it will use a statistical text categorizer for automatic spam detection and elimination.

- Like Nairaland, it will be a broad forum that covers every topic under the sun.

- Unlike Nairaland, it will strive to be a resource rather than a community. Communities are stressful.

- Like Google, it will rely on privately-developed web applications written with the Python language.

- Like Yahoo Mail, it will be free for all to use and supported with advertisements.

If I am lucky, it will be the most popular African website in 2 or 3 years. If not, it will at least break even.

I thought you should know. wink

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by akinalabi(m): 10:58am On Apr 12, 2007
Go on mate.

I wish you the best.

The sky is the begining.

Akin Alabi
http://www.ecashnigeria.com

=
=
Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by Tmoni(m): 12:37pm On Apr 12, 2007
i am not really a techie but with what i have gained, learned and laughed at on nairaland,

i definitely support your the new resource and wish all the best

GOD SPEED
Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by canachy(m): 3:35pm On Apr 12, 2007
@seun

You have got my full support. But you really need to work with a team that knows how to give result. All the same, more power to your elbow.
Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by webguru(m): 3:41pm On Apr 12, 2007
could u explain what tagging means
Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by Seun(m): 2:27pm On Apr 13, 2007
webguru:

Could you explain what tagging means?
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_%28metadata%29#Tagging_example]Tagging[/url], for the sake of this discussion, means organizing the forum with user-defined keywords, as used on the website del.icio.us. I like the fact that it allows one thread to be assigned to multiple categories if applicable. For example, instead of having to choose whether to file our current topic under "Webmasters", "Nairaland", or "Business", tagging allows the topic to be filed under all three, which makes it easier to find. The weakness of tagging if the keywords are not predefined is that one might end up with a very biased set of keywords. For example, most of the keywords on the home page del.icio.us are only interesting to web designers. That is good for a community with a narrow focus, such as a website for web designers, but potentially bad for the general-purpose forum I'm planning.
Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by ibkn(m): 7:13pm On Apr 13, 2007
@ seun
keep it up and keep us updated. if u need futher advise from people u can always ask we nairalanders to assist and chip in. ps at least u can give us info and aw we can invest in your dream working in conjunction with you. if its financial or what tell us. we pray and we will support you.

UP OSEWA
Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by naijaguru(m): 11:49pm On Apr 16, 2007
Seun,

What happens to the existing database of users and posts! You have a rich resource with you already, if you are redeveloping an application, please center ur DB design around the existing one on SMF. And do somethin with the fabulous posts too.

Cheers.

www.codixel.com
Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by Seun(m): 8:40am On Apr 17, 2007
@akinlabi, Tmoni, canarchy, ibkn, naijaguru: thanks, guys, for your support.

My the results of my experiments on the SQL requirements of tagging have been encouraging. I can generate tags related to a topic, topics related to a tag, and tags related to another tag, very easily.

One idea - allowing people to post without registration - seems to be the right way forward for various reasons, but I'm finding it hard to decide on whether to make anonymity compulsory or merely to require it.

Anyway, I'll be borrowing ideas from Joel Spolsky's Building Communities With Software article (his results).

1 Like

Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by freelance(m): 3:10pm On Apr 24, 2007
Nice one Seun! wink wink

The vision keeps getting bigger and bigger and things can only keep getting better.

Wish you all the best!! You be the man!! grin

Godspeed!!
Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by Seun(m): 4:58am On Apr 28, 2007
Some further research has led to the conclusion that what I'm seeking to build is not one giant community but a collection of communities. I've also discovered that tagging, while good for organizing posts within a particular community, is not ideal for organizing a collection of communities. I'm currently working on that collection.
Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by Seun(m): 1:50am On May 05, 2007
Coming up with an exhaustive or comprehensive collection of topics for my forum has proven to be an impossible task. Also, the fact that each topic needs to become a community with leaders requires some design changes. I have to allow people to start their own adhoc communities within the federation and maintain control over them.

This is the model followed by communities like tribe.net, yahoo groups, google groups 2, proboards.com, etc. wink
Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by mambenanje(m): 9:28am On May 07, 2007
@seun
you have said it all and I think it is a nice approach to innovation, but there is one thing that goes "if it is not broke dont fix it", and so I want to know the pros to that move and why u think it will be better. for the tagging stuff i think it is a nice solution but it might also get too bulky and difficult to maintain and also difficult to navigate, on google groups I always have difficulty in using it cos if I have a problem I must search for the group that can handle my problem and the next day I might forget the group.
Kudos!!
Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by mambenanje(m): 9:46am On May 07, 2007
one more thing, I was thinking that nairaland 2.0 might get closer to something like myspace.com where users can have profiles, and their pictures and music online, and when in the forums u can get to know who u are talking to better by visiting their profiles, listening to their songs or watch their videos if they got some, that way many things will be arround nairaland and guys like me might come there to see some beautiful girls, check their ideas, see their pics and invite them out
just a suggestion
Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by Seun(m): 1:29am On May 11, 2007
I appreciate your support, guys. I'll look into all your suggestions.

My research has led me into the world of "structured" forums. These are forums that don't present themselves as web forums but provide forums integrated into their interface. An example is Amazon.com which can be considered as a forum for discussing products or Imdb.com which can be considered as a forum for discussing movies. I like structured forums because one doesn't have to arbitrarily divide them into subsections. The data that is being discussed (products for sale, movies) creates virtual sub-forums forum up in a natural way. I'm interested in that approach.
Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by loungr(m): 12:02pm On Jul 28, 2007
Slowly Slowly u are inevitably moving into Wiki territory
Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by opensource(m): 10:49am On Aug 07, 2007
good work seun, Also consider how to make returns to enable you pay server fees and some other administratives charges

could you need any help just give me a knock
Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by xanadu: 11:51am On Aug 07, 2007
Never thought the day would come when I would have to say this, but then you have to recognise vision when you see it. And finally I see it in Seun's new plans for Nairaland.
Seun, this is a great vision - I wish you all the best. May your sight (pardon the pun!) never grow dim! smiley
Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by Seun(m): 12:58pm On Aug 07, 2007
I over-analyzed this project and it collapsed around me. I will end up with a normal discussion forum!

1 Like

Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by smartsoft(m): 12:48am On Aug 08, 2007
Funny boy !
Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by Seun(m): 10:27pm On Aug 15, 2007
Eureka, I've found it! I've discovered a user-interfact that can be used to create an infinitely scalable discussion forum. I discovered it on the following website: www.43things.com and my dream of "Nairaland 2.0" is alive again!

1 Like

Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by Annnonymous: 1:40pm On May 15, 2018
Seun:
Hello,

I've decided to create the discussion forum to end all forums. A Nairaland for 'Web 2.0'.

- Like Youtube, Flicr and Del.Icio.us, it will use tagging for dynamic categorization.

- Like Gmail, it will use a statistical text categorizer for automatic spam detection and elimination.

- Like Nairaland, it will be a broad forum that covers every topic under the sun.

- Unlike Nairaland, it will strive to be a resource rather than a community. Communities are stressful.

- Like Google, it will rely on privately-developed web applications written with the Python language.

- Like Yahoo Mail, it will be free for all to use and supported with advertisements.

If I am lucky, it will be the most popular African website in 2 or 3 years. If not, it will at least break even.

So what happened to this idea?
Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by Bigajeff(m): 9:15pm On May 15, 2018
All I see is a creative mind and futurecaster . shoot your shot geek, if you can think it, you can do it.
Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by Nobody: 1:39am On May 16, 2018
Your ifa priest tried.
Seun:
Hello,

Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by Soul47(m): 10:14pm On Jun 23, 2019
There is still hope
Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by Buhari5: 11:34pm On Jun 23, 2019
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Creating The Ultimate Discussion Forum by hassinho707(m): 9:20pm On Jun 24, 2019
Seun:
Hello,

Bros, you are a man of vision. It has truly become African most popular website. I swear, you don try, and I want to say well-done

(1) (Reply)

Google Analytics: Is A High Bounce Rate Bad? / Shop Admin [www.spamming-bank.ru] Selling : Smtp, Mailer, Rdp, Cpanel, Webmail / New Iptv In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.