Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,719 members, 7,805,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:16 AM

Nigerians React To Super Falcons' Loss To South Africa. - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerians React To Super Falcons' Loss To South Africa. (17697 Views)

Super Falcons Loss In The WAFCON What Is The Way Forward? / Asisat Oshoala Reacts To Super Falcons Loss To Norway / Nigerians React To Super Eagles 2 - 0 Loss To Croatia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians React To Super Falcons' Loss To South Africa. by oxygen247(m): 9:02am On Nov 19, 2018
Buhari should just go..
Re: Nigerians React To Super Falcons' Loss To South Africa. by alklas(m): 9:26am On Nov 19, 2018
hw e tek happen cry
Re: Nigerians React To Super Falcons' Loss To South Africa. by COOL10(m): 9:53am On Nov 19, 2018
naptu2:
Falcons complained

Bode Oguntuyi mentioned that Oparanozie and Oshoala have been complaining (see screenshot above). Well this (screenshots below) is what he was talking about (I created a thread about this in September 2017).

Since then, the full national team have only played a match against France (in which they lost 8-0) and two qualifying matches against Gambia.

Meanwhile, Ghana and South Africa have been playing against Sweden, France, Kenya, Chile and against each other.

I still don't understand how a very talented player in Sophia Omidiji didn't make the final team. Any reasonable explanation for this?
Re: Nigerians React To Super Falcons' Loss To South Africa. by abbeyty(m): 11:20am On Nov 19, 2018
I don't know if super falcon are becoming rubbish or African female football is improving cuz I still remember when falcon used to beat this African female football teams 6, 7, 8 9 goals to nothing.
Re: Nigerians React To Super Falcons' Loss To South Africa. by Ayobami7(m): 11:51am On Nov 19, 2018
转注字/轉注字
Re: Nigerians React To Super Falcons' Loss To South Africa. by naptu2: 12:51pm On Nov 19, 2018
COOL10:

I still don't understand how a very talented player in Sophia Omidiji didn't make the final team. Any reasonable explanation for this?

In my view, everything boils down to us not playing enough friendlies. Nigeria has a lot of very talented female footballers. That includes both the players that are in Ghana and those that are not in Ghana (Courtney Dike, Ini Umotong, Sophia Omidiji, Folashade Ijamilusi, etc), but you can never say if they can fit into the team properly or if they are in form unless you see them play a grade A match.

South Africa played a lot of friendlies in the last 2 years and they used a lot of players in those games. This includes their established stars and players from their junior teams. This enabled them to pick the best group of players for the tournament.

Our first team did not even play throughout 2017! In my view, we only played 3 top class games in the past 2 years, the friendly against France and the two games against Gambia. How can we succeed with that kind of preparation?
Re: Nigerians React To Super Falcons' Loss To South Africa. by COOL10(m): 2:01pm On Nov 19, 2018
naptu2:

In my view, everything boils down to us not playing enough friendlies. Nigeria has a lot of very talented female footballers. That includes both the players that are in Ghana and those that are not in Ghana (Courtney Dike, Ini Umotong, Sophia Omidiji, Folashade Ijamilusi, etc), but you can never say if they can fit into the team properly or if they are in form unless you see them play a grade A match.

South Africa played a lot of friendlies in the last 2 years and they used a lot of players in those games. This includes their established stars and players from their junior teams. This enabled them to pick the best group of players for the tournament.

Our first team did not even play throughout 2017! In my view, we only played 3 top class games in the past 2 years, the friendly against France and the two games against Gambia. How can we succeed with that kind of preparation?

True talk.
Re: Nigerians React To Super Falcons' Loss To South Africa. by naptu2: 12:13pm On Nov 20, 2018
I'm not giving up hope, because we've been here before.

We had a terrible preparation for the 1990 Nations Cup in Algeria. Back then, there was no FIFA rule that mandated clubs to release their players and so most of our foreign based professionals refused to play at the Nations Cup.

Stephen Keshi was our captain, but he was also a very important player for Anderlecht at the time. He was in a dilemma. He had an idea and he made an offer. He said that he could rent a private jet that would fly him to Algeria for the Eagles' matches and fly him back to Belgium for his club's games. Westerhof obviously rejected the offer, so Keshi was out of the squad.

We took a home based team to the Nations Cup. If I remember correctly, Andrew Uweh and Friday Elaho were the only Europe based players in our squad.

Our first match was against the hosts, Algeria. Algeria’s captain was Rabah Madjer and he was probably the biggest African superstar at that time. The Algerians trashed us 5-1. Rabah Madjer scored 2 of the goals (I still hate him till this day) and Emmanuel Okocha (Jay Jay’s elder brother) scored our only goal.

People criticised the team and Coach Westerhof (who was relatively new at that time). The team picked itself up, talked to themselves, motivated themselves and Yekini became our savour. Yekini was playing for Africa Sports of Ivory Coast at that time, so he could attend the Nations Cup.

Yekini scored the only goal as we defeated Egypt in the second match. He scored the only goal again as we defeated Ivory Coast in our third match and we thus qualified for the semi-final.

Yekini was not done. He scored again in the semi-final and Uche Okechukwu added another goal to help us defeat Zambia 0-2.

We ended up playing Algeria again in the final and we lost 1-0, but Nigerians were satisfied that the Eagles had improved greatly after the humiliation of the first game.

Hopefully, the story will be the same with the Falcons and they will overcome their poor preparation to win the tournament and qualify for the World Cup.

Algeria 1990 first match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9suU5kUILm8

Algeria 1990 final

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJiqZ5RZQZU

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo has now scored against 170 DIFFERENT teams in his career. / Nigeria Qualifies For Finals Of Men & Women's Football @ The All Africa Games / Arsenal Complete Gabriel Jesus Signing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.