Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,353 members, 7,800,703 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:33 AM

Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. (68709 Views)

Most Underdeveloped State Capitals In Nigeria / Five Northern Cities That Attract Visitors In Nigeria / Slums From World Major Cities That Shows All That Glitters Is Not Gold (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by Pharrel22(m): 10:48pm On Nov 23, 2018
OP dey funny Sha..which city is called Juventus, Juventus ko juve... anyway Juventus is just a popular football club situated at Turin...we've more popular cities like Naples
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by yarimo(m): 10:48pm On Nov 23, 2018
And the capital of IPOB is PYTHON dance
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by MYGRATEskillz(m): 10:56pm On Nov 23, 2018
Juventus is actually in turin
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by shotuns: 11:21pm On Nov 23, 2018
OP never mention washington as CAPITAL of USA but rather Washington DC. . . You can read the Write up again and this time more slowly.

peter1994:
Correction please..

The capital of USA is Washington DC and not Washington, as Washington is the name of another State in the US
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by thatigboman: 11:32pm On Nov 23, 2018
amalab30:
Bruh, shocking as it looks, you're not entirely off point or wrong, I googled and the Yamo wetin wetin is the Political Capital, Abidjan is Economic capital.

I don't know what that says. However the OP had my "like" before I even read it. Immediately I saw the heading, I was like, wow, explorers don resume from Child duty.

same like nigeria. Lagos is economic capital, while abuja is political capital
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by Ranchhoddas: 11:43pm On Nov 23, 2018
Aromi:
Like in holland people always think that Amsterdam or Roterdam is the capital but the capital is Den hague
This isn't true!
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by joepepsy(m): 12:04am On Nov 24, 2018
It's Basel not Basle...no spoil my city oo
davodyguy:
Believe it or not, this thread would shock a lot of people as i was shocked.

There are some cities that are very popular in some countries that we think they're the national capitals, whereas they're not.

Lets Start.

1. Dubai: Dubai is not a country as many people might believe. You hear people say "I'm going to Dubai'.
Dubai is a city in a country called UAE (United Arab Emirates) The capital of UAE is not Dubai, rather it is Abu Dhabi
Dubai is the largest city not a country or capital.

2. Johannesburg: Nigeria played South Africa last Saturday and i'm sure a lot of Nigerians would think Johannesburg is the capital.
Interestingly, South Africa has three capital cities, none of which are "Jo'Burg". Divided by branch of government, the capitals are: capital of the judiciary is Bloemfontein, capital of the administrative branch is Pretoria with Cape Town acting as the country's legislative capital.

3. Sydney: Since the Olympics in year 2000 (Sydney 2000) A lot of people think Sydney is the capital of Australia. It is not. Iconic though its harbor and opera house may be, it doesn't get star billing. Canberra, which is just a few years away from its centennial celebration, is actually capital of the land. It is not Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide.

4. Munich/Frankfurt: Many Nigerians would know Munich and Bayern Munich or 1860 Munich, likewise Frankfurt when JJ Okocha played in Germany. Well the Capital of Germany is Berlin.

5. Istanbul, Turkey: It may have served as capital to ancient Romans and Ottomans, but that designation is long gone for Istanbul. Ankara, a city that is perhaps most famous for its angora-producing goats, is the capital. Ankara is not the same as Aso Ebi ooo grin Many people might think the capital is 'Galatasaray' or Fenerbahçe

6. Switzerland: This country serves as HQ for many world Organizations like the UN, UNESCO etc. The capital is not Geneva, Neither this nor Zurich serve as this precise country's capital. The picturesque, tranquil, UNESCO-recognized town of Bern holds this honor. Roger Federer is from Basle, but not the capital.

7. Brazil: How many of you think the capital of Brazil is Rio? It's fun, exciting and has something for everyone, but that still doesn't make it Brazil's capital. While the city famous for the carnival used to be the capital, Brasilia now takes that position, not even São Paulo

8. Casablanca: Football fans are familiar with Raja Casablanca and tourists are familiar with Fez or Marrakesh. Not only is Casablanca not the capital of Morocco, neither are the other two top contenders, Fez or Marrakesh. Peaceful and culture-rich Rabat serves as this North African country's capital.

9. USA: In Trump's America, the Capital is not Las Vegas, California, Chicago, Florida or New York City. It is Washington DC

10. Spain: Many may think it is Barcelona, since Lionel Messi plays there. Capital is actually Madrid.

11. Côte d'Ivoire: In drogba's country, the capital is not Abidjan. It is Yamoussoukro

12. Italy: Capital is Rome not Milan or Juventus lol

13. Nigeria: Capital is Abuja not Lagos or Aba grin grin

14. State of Palestine: Capital is actually East Jerusalem and not Gaza City

You can read more on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_national_capital,_largest_and_second-largest_cities

Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by DanielOc: 12:22am On Nov 24, 2018
Los Angeles, San Francisco isn't the capital of California, but Sacramento
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by mkoabiola: 12:25am On Nov 24, 2018
ITK too plenty for this nairaland..

90%of d readers are surprize to read this info

It might av been a former capital jus like Lagos being d capital of Nigeria.

Educative info
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by 3phase(m): 12:35am On Nov 24, 2018
folake4u:
Informative thread.

Frontpage worthy!
shocked.
I'm actually surprised that Geneva is not the capital of Switzerland after all these years in secondary school.
thick thigh thin patience
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by maxwell530(m): 12:36am On Nov 24, 2018
Lol@Juventus....people like op will also think Florentina is a city
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by IBBG(m): 12:38am On Nov 24, 2018
the capital of russia is st petersberg and not moscow
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by MAYOWAAK: 12:44am On Nov 24, 2018
Pamtoye:
@ op...Yamoussoukro ain't cote d'voirs capital city.... it's Abidjan..Yamoussoukro was former capital and also Rio d jainero is Brazil's capital city.. Brasilia was former capital...

Rio De Janeiro was the former capital of Brazil. It ceded that position to Brasilia in 1960.
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by MAYOWAAK: 12:50am On Nov 24, 2018
FrankFrenzy:

What are you saying?
Chicago I know is a state in the US

Chicago is a city in the state called Illinois and capital is Springfield.
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by CarGuide: 12:56am On Nov 24, 2018
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by allytinted: 1:07am On Nov 24, 2018
Informative and educative at thesame time. Thanks op for the enlightenment. Thumbs up
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by Lxgking(m): 1:17am On Nov 24, 2018
davodyguy:

There are some cities that are very popular in some countries that we think they're the national capitals, whereas they're not.

Lets Start.

1. Dubai: Dubai is not a country as many people might believe. You hear people say "I'm going to Dubai'.
Dubai is a city in a country called UAE (United Arab Emirates) The capital of UAE is not Dubai, rather it is Abu Dhabi

2. Johannesburg: Nigeria played South Africa last Saturday and i'm sure a lot of Nigerians would think Johannesburg is the capital.
Interestingly, South Africa has three capital cities, none of which are "Jo'Burg". Divided by branch of government, the capitals are: capital of the judiciary is Bloemfontein, capital of the administrative branch is Pretoria with Cape Town acting as the country's legislative capital.

3. Sydney: Since the Olympics in year 2000 (Sydney 2000) A lot of people think Sydney is the capital of Australia. It is not. Iconic though its harbor and opera house may be, it doesn't get star billing. Canberra, which is just a few years away from its centennial celebration, is actually capital of the land. It is not Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide.

4. Munich/Frankfurt: Many Nigerians would know Munich and Bayern Munich or 1860 Munich, likewise Frankfurt when JJ Okocha played in Germany. Well the Capital of Germany is Berlin.

5. Istanbul, Turkey: It may have served as capital to ancient Romans and Ottomans, but that designation is long gone for Istanbul. Ankara, a city that is perhaps most famous for its angora-producing goats, is the capital. Ankara is not the same as Aso Ebi ooo grin Many people might think the capital is 'Galatasaray' or Fenerbahçe

6. Switzerland: This country serves as HQ for many world Organizations like the UN, UNESCO etc. The capital is not Geneva, Neither this nor Zurich serve as this precise country's capital. The picturesque, tranquil, UNESCO-recognized town of Bern holds this honor. Roger Federer is from Basle, but not the capital.

7. Brazil: How many of you think the capital of Brazil is Rio? It's fun, exciting and has something for everyone, but that still doesn't make it Brazil's capital. While the city famous for the carnival used to be the capital, Brasilia now takes that position, not even São Paulo

8. Casablanca: Football fans are familiar with Raja Casablanca and tourists are familiar with Fez or Marrakesh. Not only is Casablanca not the capital of Morocco, neither are the other two top contenders, Fez or Marrakesh. Peaceful and culture-rich Rabat serves as this North African country's capital.

9. USA: In Trump's America, the Capital is not Las Vegas, California, Chicago, Florida or New York City. It is Washington DC

10. Spain: Many may think it is Barcelona, since Lionel Messi plays there. Capital is actually Madrid.

11. Côte d'Ivoire: In drogba's country, the capital is not Abidjan. It is Yamoussoukro

You can read more on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_national_capital,_largest_and_second-largest_cities

OFF ME
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by ericmor: 2:00am On Nov 24, 2018
davodyguy:

I can bet that more than 20 million Nigerians, especially those fake 'slay queens' that form a lot and haven't been to the airport before would tell you Dubai is a country grin grin

People who are not Nigerians also think Dubai is a country. See the link below
Mynd44 Disguy Mukina2

Even some people in the USA use to think Lagos is a country. I was even surprise when a black man mentioned Lagos when he was asked to name countries he know in Africa. Even till now I know some still think Lagos is a country

[img]http://whatson.ae/dubai/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/DUBAi-13.jpg[/img]
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by ericmor: 2:05am On Nov 24, 2018
Pharrel22:
OP dey funny Sha..which city is called Juventus, Juventus ko juve... anyway Juventus is just a popular football club situated at Turin...we've more popular cities like Naples

Even dis one self na another one cus I can bet that so many people didn’t even know that Juventus is just a name of football club cus they think is like AC Milan

1 Like

Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by ericmor: 2:07am On Nov 24, 2018
davodyguy:

I can bet that more than 20 million Nigerians, especially those fake 'slay queens' that form a lot and haven't been to the airport before would tell you Dubai is a country grin grin

People who are not Nigerians also think Dubai is a country. See the link below
Mynd44 Disguy Mukina2

[img]http://whatson.ae/dubai/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/DUBAi-13.jpg[/img]
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by Ndipe(m): 2:12am On Nov 24, 2018
charliboy654:
Like seriously, I could have sworn abidjan is the capital of Ivory Coast and joburg the capital of SA

Abidjan was once the capital of Ivory Coast but their late President then made his hometown, Yamoussoukro, its state capital.
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by Ndipe(m): 2:13am On Nov 24, 2018
FrankFrenzy:

What are you saying?
Chicago I know is a state in the US

Nope, it's a city in Illinois.
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by williamdeluxe(m): 4:15am On Nov 24, 2018
Dix one just shock me...

I neva knewn dubai is nt a country
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by MaziOmenuko: 5:10am On Nov 24, 2018
Lol @Dubai being more popular than Abu Dhabi. Maybe to Nigerians shaa, becuase of Deira market were they go to do bend down select.
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by Kristokx(m): 5:25am On Nov 24, 2018
davodyguy:

Lets Start.

There’s nothing like Juventus it’s actually Turin
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by nyabinghi(m): 5:32am On Nov 24, 2018
pakistan is karachi not islamabad, india is new delhi
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by OKorowanta: 6:27am On Nov 24, 2018
One of the most informative thread ever on nairaland.
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by SalC: 6:41am On Nov 24, 2018
Pamtoye:
@ op...Yamoussoukro ain't cote d'voirs capital city.... it's Abidjan..Yamoussoukro was former capital and also Rio d jainero is Brazil's capital city.. Brasilia was former capital...
You are wrong, the OP is very correct.
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by SalC: 6:42am On Nov 24, 2018
nyabinghi:
pakistan is karachi not islamabad, india is new delhi
No, the capital of Pakistan is actually Islamabad.
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by SalC: 6:49am On Nov 24, 2018
This is one seemingly shocking revelation that didn't shock me. I already knew that. Even had to aguement on Bern being the Federal City of Switzerland with someone recently.

Thanks for the information.
Re: Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries. by SalC: 6:54am On Nov 24, 2018
optimist25:
What's the capital of qatar?
Doha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Boeing 777X: Boeing Unveils World's Longest Passenger Plane(Pics) / Lekki-Ajah Traffic: See What Residents Of Lekki-VGC-Ajah Go Through Daily (Photo / A Man & The 2 Ladies He Was Carrying Die In An Accident In Sapele, Delta (Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.