Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,815 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:01 AM

Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black (79635 Views)

Igbo Church Weddings With Isiagu New Trend / The New Trend Of Bridesmaids Rocking Sneakers On A Wedding Train / The Newest Trend Of Brides Rocking Trouser-like Outfits For Their Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by booblacain(m): 8:04am On Nov 20, 2018

Blackfishing explained
Various European and American social media influencers have been accused of practising a new-age form of blackface.
Swedish teen Emma Hallberg is among the many Instagram users who have been accused of starting and unashamedly taking part in a new phenomenon that has been dubbed “blackfishing” or “n****rfishing.”

Swedish teen Emma Hallberg has been accused of presenting herself as a racially ambiguous women to win more social media followers.

What is blackfishing?
Blackfishing refers to the practice of a white person presenting themselves as mixed race or racially ambiguous on social media to pander to a particular aesthetic, and therefore gaining more followers.

It has been viewed as a modern incarnation of blackface – the theatrical makeup used predominantly by non-black performers to represent a caricature of a black person. It is and has been considered a racially insensitive representation of blackness by black people all over the world.

There is no confirmation about who the first culprit of the new wave is or when they were identified but more social media users have been outed as being guilty of this practice in recent days.

The girls in the photos posted and shared numerous times online are significantly darker than they were in old photos, which have been dug up and used as a comparison.

Some of the girls in the photos can also be seen sporting traditionally black hairstyles such as dreadlocks and braids – a practice that has often been dubbed cultural appropriation.

Photos of these girls have been reposted numerous times on accounts aimed at celebrating black women and their hairstyles or makeup looks.

According to their followers, they have never corrected these pages for sharing their images and labelling them black women.

Fans have expressed their disappointment since finding out that their “faves” are not what they have been presenting themselves as. Some even reached out to Hallberg to ask her about her true ethnic background.

Hallberg has denied presenting herself as anything other than white Swedish teen Emma Hallberg has been accused of presenting herself as a racially ambiguous women to win more social media followers.and has claimed the before and after photos of her were merely taken during different times of the year.

When quizzed about her complexion by Buzzfeed, Hallberg attributed her look to “a deep tan naturally from the sun”.

The general consensus about the phenomenon seems to be disappointment in those found guilty of this practice, as many feel they are commodifying blackness as a means of personal gain.

This is due to the fact that the girls identified in the pictures are influencers and performers and earn a living from their appearances and social media feeds.

In addition, they are cashing in on sporting features that naturally occur among black women but are not met with the same level of admiration and enthusiasm.

While there are a few who have come to Hallberg’s defence, the overall consensus is she was wrong and she either needs to stop or face the backlash of a boycott on her social media accounts.

https://citizen.co.za/news/news-eish/2036408/blackfishing-explained/

Forward

3 Likes

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by cescky(m): 8:30am On Nov 20, 2018
Black man get problem oo

They abuse blacks due to skin color na problem

They act and tan skin to be like blacks problem..

Dont call us blacks call us African American....etc

Omo black man get wahala

215 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by SEGLIZ: 9:06am On Nov 20, 2018
this where we stand. the uniqueness in our blackness is just the reason they discriminate against us. since they've tried but couldn't beat to our God given endowment, the few bold ones are coming out to claim the blackness that our fellow blacks are trying to bleach out.
I'm proud to be black and would always be.

115 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by booblacain(m): 9:06am On Nov 20, 2018
cescky:
Black man get problem oo

They abuse blacks due to skin color na problem

They act and tan skin to be like blacks problem..

Dont call us blacks call us African American....etc

Omo black man get wahala

"black people" are angry about it because this was the same practice used by "white people" to exploite them during the slave trade era.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by cescky(m): 12:12pm On Nov 20, 2018
booblacain:

"black people" are angry about it because this was the same practice used by "white people" to exploite them during the slave trade era.

Let them keep getting angry..

The same way the word nigger was used to degrade a black man.. musicians removed the sting from it...and it's cool to call your guy nigga...even white call them selves "nigga"

My point is if you abuse me..it will only pain me if I pay attention to you..if I ignore you ud get tired and let me be...

What we give attention to expands

131 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by booblacain(m): 1:11pm On Nov 20, 2018
cescky:

Let them keep getting angry..

The same way the word nigger was used to degrade a black man.. musicians removed the sting from it...and it's cool to call your guy nigga...even white call them selves "nigga"

My point is if you abuse me..it will only pain me if I pay attention to you..if I ignore you ud get tired and let me be...

What we give attention to expands

I agree with you 100% on that, however, the issue of blackfishing as it is seen now goes beyond racial insults, it is about racial profiteering and exploitation. Most of the "white people" that are being accused of blackfishing are Instagram influencers and so is obvious that they do it to profit from it. So, "black people" are thinking, ok, you built your society by exploiting the strenght of our bodies, now you want to build your acceptance and bank accounts by exploiting our cultural identity and essence, the same cultural identity that you intentionally denigrated and dragged in the gutters for 100s of years.

92 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by lilmax(m): 1:33pm On Nov 20, 2018
people that have eaten and belleful grin

I'll pass

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by booblacain(m): 1:59pm On Nov 20, 2018
The underlying issue here is that black beauty is trending and some "white people" wants to not just identify with it but to cash in on it as well.

3 Likes

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Houseofglam7(f): 2:55pm On Nov 20, 2018
We so fuqin blessed.
We can switch from black to white and back to black if we wanna.
grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Mulatta(m): 3:51pm On Nov 20, 2018
If blacks can bleach to look white, theyre free to look black

30 Likes

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Nobody: 3:52pm On Nov 20, 2018
There’s something very exotic about black beauty, white beauty is very plain and unexciting

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by CivilzedTyger(m): 3:55pm On Nov 20, 2018
Being black is a honor, we stem from greatness. T.H.U.G

1 Like

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by musicwriter(m): 6:55pm On Nov 20, 2018
This is to give you an incling that when we get our acts right and we rule the world, white people would be painting their skin black.

10 Likes

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by naijaboiy: 7:18pm On Nov 20, 2018
They are trying to steal our identity too? grin

1 Like

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by jetz(m): 7:19pm On Nov 20, 2018
Another one
Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Uglymind: 7:20pm On Nov 20, 2018
And yet our stupid girls keep bleaching

But why?

11 Likes

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Nobody: 7:21pm On Nov 20, 2018
This is Weird!

2 Likes

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Seahawk: 7:21pm On Nov 20, 2018
No they are not
Mulatta:
If blacks can bleach to look white, theyre free to look black

3 Likes

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by ibrutex(m): 7:21pm On Nov 20, 2018
how does this provide job for our lazy youth ?

3 Likes

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by latsy: 7:22pm On Nov 20, 2018
booblacain:

I agree with you 100% on that, however, the issue of blackfishing as it is seen now goes beyond racial insults, it is about racial profiteering and exploitation. Most of the "white people" that are being accused of blackfishing are Instagram influencers and so is obvious that they do it to profit from it. So, "black people" are thinking, ok, you built your society by exploiting the strenght of our bodies, now you want to build your acceptance and bank accounts by exploiting our cultural identity and essence, the same cultural identity that you intentionally denigrated and dragged in the gutters for 100s of years.
Those giving them attention are the real problems.
If a black person can get arrested and get shot for being black,
I see no point in fighting these internet entrepreneurs for wanting
to look black and enjoy black privilege.

Moreover, this is the age of feeling. If someone feels like black,
they should be left alone.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by oluwasegun007(m): 7:22pm On Nov 20, 2018
Dey want to be black chyna
Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Uglymugg: 7:22pm On Nov 20, 2018
They look beautiful

1 Like

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by goshen26: 7:23pm On Nov 20, 2018
Hmmmmmm!....

Irony of life, the black wanna become white while while wanna become black

1 Like

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by NessaBoo(f): 7:23pm On Nov 20, 2018
booblacain:

A thousand likes!

8 Likes

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Kenmatt(m): 7:23pm On Nov 20, 2018
I do not need to read this post down, just read my comment on Paul Pogba with Chimp.

Black is Beauty and Beauty itself is Abstract
Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by itiswellandwell: 7:25pm On Nov 20, 2018
Hmm
Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by Enemyofpeace: 7:25pm On Nov 20, 2018
They are retaliating because we've been doing whitefishing since 100 AD

My kogi girlfriend caught me with another girl yesterday only for me to hear that she went to her village this morning. I think my life is one minute remaining

7 Likes

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by WeyreyHunter: 7:26pm On Nov 20, 2018
ok
Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by liyahwillie(f): 7:27pm On Nov 20, 2018
I'M A STRONG,BLACK,AFRICAN WOMAN....DE WHITE FOLK SHOULD FORK TO HELL...ASK DE WHITE BAES WHY THEY LOVE AFRICAN MEN....DE KARDASIANS CAN GIVE U DE REASON....MTCHEW DE WHITE FOLK LOVE OUR COLOUR AND RACE,THEY JUST CANT HELP IT.
#PROUDLY AFRICAN

5 Likes

Re: Blackfishing: The new trend of White People Trying To look Black by madridsta007(m): 7:27pm On Nov 20, 2018
booblacain:

Don’t mind the fellow.
Extremely ignorant.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pictures Of Ladies That Slayed While Wearing A Kimono / What Type Of Perfume Do You Use? / These Photos Of A 7-year-old Nigerian Model Have Got Everyone Talking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.