Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,942 members, 7,806,721 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:50 PM

My Monthly Savings In Canada - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Monthly Savings In Canada (163381 Views)

With 5m Savings Which Country Is Easiest I Can Move To / How It Is Possible To Live In The Uk For 30 Years And Have Zero In Savings. / After 7 Million Naira Savings, What Is NEXT, UK Or Canada? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (42) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by Mizwisdom(f): 8:38am On Dec 15, 2018
Hmmmmm your mum, saving $54,000, seems like she should be your coach, have you considered it?

5 Likes

Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by katyamizotta: 8:54am On Dec 15, 2018
atutupoyoyo2211:
Hey, guys, received a very good news today. My mum just passed her citizenship exam, she scored 20/20. She is gonna be sworn in by February. My Mother is in her 50's. When she came to Canada 3 years ago with the intention to stay, she didn't know where to start because of her age. But she had the perseverance and drive. She worked as a dish washer for almost a year being paid $12.35 an hour, but she was not discouraged. After the first year as a dishwasher, she was able to find a job as a health care assistant, helping out seniors. It was a hectic job, and she was paid $18 an hour for the job. She took extra shifts and committed herself to saving money. She didn't have to pay for accommodation, because she stayed with a family member. Fast forward December 2018, My mum has saved $53,000 and is now a Canadian citizen. She made the best use of the last 3 years. She is now preparing to go back to Nigeria and get some really deserved rest. My mum used to work as a teacher in Nigeria earning 120,000 naira a month. She said she is not returning to teaching again.
If you believe, you can achieve, an example from a 54 year old woman.

Respect to your mum.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by iaatmguy(m): 9:07am On Dec 15, 2018
As you trolls can see
Mans. Not asking for money, you doubting thomas don't believe good things happen to others except for you
Meanwhile did you guys take into cognisance, he his busting his ... to earn that amount?
Op keep it up, congrats to your mum.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by katyamizotta: 9:22am On Dec 15, 2018
yemiosinbajo:
The only area I'm very confused about is where you said your mother earned 120K as a teacher in Nigeria, and you earned over 400K. Then you capped it up by saying that your mom, now a Canadian citizen, wants to go back to Nigeria to 'rest'.

Sometimes I wonder if it's the same Nigeria I left years ago, but someone should correct me if I'm wrong: what sort of teachers in Nigeria earned up to 120K three years ago? Was she teaching at an international school like those British Lekki school or mission schools like Loyola? If she was, then, she must be highly qualified, so how come she struggled on arriving in Canada? And now, Nigeria is a place people go to rest? You even said she informed you that she is no longer intending to go into teaching -- does this mean she's intending to go back to continue life in Nigeria or what?

And if you were earning 400K per month in Nigeria back in the day, what makes you think you are making it more in Canada now? With 400K a month in Nigeria at the time, wouldn't you be able to afford all the same luxury you have now in Canada if you had this same amount of discipline? The bulk of Nigerians you see on this travel section willing to relocate abroad are not earning anything close to 400K a month. And your mom is in her 50's, so how old are you?

Note that I'm not accusing you of lying about anything, I just got confused by these aspects of your statements, and would be a good idea if you could clarify.

My pay in a Nigerian bank was over N425,450 not including tips, medical allowance, airtime recharge, bonuses, aside deals. But I left because of my kid.
Starting college here soon.

50 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by StKizito2: 9:33am On Dec 15, 2018
yemiosinbajo:
The only area I'm very confused about is where you said your mother earned 120K as a teacher in Nigeria, and you earned over 400K. Then you capped it up by saying that your mom, now a Canadian citizen, wants to go back to Nigeria to 'rest'.

Sometimes I wonder if it's the same Nigeria I left years ago, but someone should correct me if I'm wrong: what sort of teachers in Nigeria earned up to 120K three years ago? Was she teaching at an international school like those British Lekki school or mission schools like Loyola? If she was, then, she must be highly qualified, so how come she struggled on arriving in Canada? And now, Nigeria is a place people go to rest? You even said she informed you that she is no longer intending to go into teaching -- does this mean she's intending to go back to continue life in Nigeria or what?

And if you were earning 400K per month in Nigeria back in the day, what makes you think you are making it more in Canada now? With 400K a month in Nigeria at the time, wouldn't you be able to afford all the same luxury you have now in Canada if you had this same amount of discipline? The bulk of Nigerians you see on this travel section willing to relocate abroad are not earning anything close to 400K a month. And your mom is in her 50's, so how old are you?

Note that I'm not accusing you of lying about anything, I just got confused by these aspects of your statements, and would be a good idea if you could clarify.
A level 12 and above would earn over a 100k dating back from Obansanjo era . Government school teachers earn better than private school teachers. Am a civil servant so I know.
On the age part when I am 50 my first child will be 25. My spouse is also my agemate. It's possible
Those parts of your question spoke to me, felt the need to contribute

18 Likes

Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by Nobody: 9:39am On Dec 15, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

My mum joined the teaching service when she was 18 years and now she has spent 34 years in service. She earns N135,000 monthly after all deductions. She’s a primary school teacher!

My mom retires in less than a year and she will be earning over N120,000 monthly as pension (or whatever name they call it). This answers the part of the possibility of a woman that was a teacher for donkey years going back to Nigeria to rest.

I am my moms last born child (out of three), and none of us will be 30 in two years.

My mom is a Nigerian living in Nigeria at the moment but can she become a Canadian Citizen before she clock 60? Arguably YES!

We all need to understand that our realities as people can be very different and distant. It’s fine that some things sound off, we just only need to apply our heart to wisdom.

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by Raalsalghul: 9:50am On Dec 15, 2018
atutupoyoyo2211:
I dont get offended when people post negative stuff online because when whenever we post something online we should expect both negative and positive comments. I get encouraged by the negative comments.
@opebiboy you sound like a hardworking Nigerian that is just trying to be successful like each and everyone of us. You mentioned you import cars from overseas which is an honorable business. let me tell you what i see at the site i work security. This is a 5 year construction project going on here. Every day i sign in trucks to drop off sand and gravel on the site. Now 90% of the drivers of these trucks are Indian, and what they do is that, they bring their brothers from Indian to learn truck driving under them and within 2 years, the apprentice has his own truck and then delivers on his own. Most of them then register their own company and you see the name on the truck. i am at work right now and i truck driver just came. I was registering him in the system when i asked him what company he works for, and he said the name. And i released this man, who is a born and bred Canadian is driving trucks fro and Indian immigrant. The owner of the company was still delivering today, and i talked with him,. he told me he has 3 trucks that drive for him. My bank rep once told me that, everyday she sees truck drivers and restaurant owners, who come in and they have account balances of $300k and above. Anyone in Canada can correct me if i am wrong.
The longshoremen that work on our site make $50 an hour and above. And they are unionized, so their pay always goes up. One of the longshoremen on our site drives a bentley bentayga. My own Security supervisor drives a 2013 g wagon. He is from Iran. He came to Canada and worked Security and warehouse for 6 years straight, working 16 to 18 hours a day. Right now he only works 8 hours a day and his daughter also works on site as the assistant security supervisor. she is also a workaholic getting experience to be a police office. she drives a BMW X6. When my supervisor saw i was ready to work, he always gave me shifts.
The purpose of this is to tell @opebiboy, it is not all about scam, people work hard, people toil day and night to succeed.
You keep posting links thats says "the average Canadian this, the average Canadian that', I am not an average Canadian. I am and will be a successful Canadian through hard work. The internet says Nigerians are poor but all Nigerians are not poor. Try not to be classified as part of the average.
You know you don't have to explain yourself to anybody right?

5 Likes

Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by Nig4Greatness: 10:02am On Dec 15, 2018
ontarioissauga:

Do you want him to be repeating those?
Oh in that case,I will read through the pages and thereafter make my own observations. I only commented based on his intro.
Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by TheCongo2: 10:22am On Dec 15, 2018
shina101:

Was there any form of training b4 u started driving the forklift? Did they require a certification from an external body? E.g you ve to be certified by a body b4 u can operate a crane or excavator, etc?

Yes. One would need a forklift license to operate a forklift in Canada
Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by joo2018: 10:24am On Dec 15, 2018
Love the good vibes on the thread today. Trolls, take note!

5 Likes

Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by adesbaba: 10:47am On Dec 15, 2018
A quick question

Having known that Canada rarely admits 2:2 grads for msc/MBA from the student visa thread n from those university's admission requirements page....

After Landing in Canny as a PR,can they consider taking a 2:2 grad of say 3.3cgpa for MSC/mba......cos I learnt the tuition will be paid as domestic student not international std...

Tanks for answering

1 Like

Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by Influential101: 11:08am On Dec 15, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

@ bold, how did you come to that conclusion? Smh

Many people I know including myself earn way above the stated amount, yet want to relocate.. it's really not just about the money. Plus that amount isn't big when you consider school fees, house rent and living expenses..

I don't blame you anyways, may be it's the circle of people you know.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by Mizwisdom(f): 11:58am On Dec 15, 2018
joo2018:
Love the good vibes on the thread today. Trolls, take note!

I don't think they are all trolls though. It's not easy saving abroad it's a herculean feat to even have $50,000 balance for many that's why some pips are skeptical. We don't need to insult them

3 Likes

Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by smartkester(m): 12:40pm On Dec 15, 2018
adesbaba:
A quick question

Having known that Canada rarely admits 2:2 grads for msc/MBA from the student visa thread n from those university's admission requirements page....

After Landing in Canny as a PR,can they consider taking a 2:2 grad of say 3.3cgpa for MSC/mba......cos I learnt the tuition will be paid as domestic student not international std...

Tanks for answering

do your findings well, we have schools that takes 2.2 for a masters program in Canada. It seems you are not well informed
Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by atutupoyoyo2211: 2:51pm On Dec 15, 2018
I think maybe i should. Because my intention with this thread is to explain with examples so that others can be encouraged and actually make an attempt to save and succeed.
Raalsalghul:
You know you don't have to explain yourself to anybody right?

3 Likes

Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by atutupoyoyo2211: 3:07pm On Dec 15, 2018
If you dont mind going to smaller provinces to study, i think University of Saskachewan and Memorial university of newfounland can easily admit. Also it may be wise to take some open courses from universities in Canada which can boost your GPA, then you can go ahead and apply to better universities.
adesbaba:
A quick question

Tanks for answering

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by atutupoyoyo2211: 3:13pm On Dec 15, 2018
Well, she could be. But her circumstances are different from mine because, she didn't pay for rent and probably feeding too. But i am paying for all that.
Mizwisdom:
Hmmmmm your mum, saving $54,000, seems like she should be your coach, have you considered it?

4 Likes

Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by TheCongo2: 3:15pm On Dec 15, 2018
Mizwisdom:

I don't think they are all trolls though. It's not easy saving abroad it's a herculean feat to even have $50,000 balance for many that's why some pips are skeptical. We don't need to insult them

You are right. However, anyone who had lived in North America can see that there is nothing in OP's narrative that defies logic. The story is believable.
Most of the trolls aren't based in North America. And to argue OP's story, they would come up with broad and general statement such as "Canadians can't save more than $360 per month" or "Most of Nigerians in Canada don't have saving". They seem to ignore the fact that each person is an individual and generalization are often untrue.
They have never lived or worked in Canada to understand that even though we have so much bills to pay, it is still possible to save a lot money. I, for instance, have been on that path before and this is how I was able to afford the downpayment of my house.
So my conclusion with respect to OP story is based on personal experience and not from hearsay or google search.
Those trolls have not first hand experience with Canada.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by adesbaba: 4:17pm On Dec 15, 2018
atutupoyoyo2211:
If you dont mind going to smaller provinces to study, i think University of Saskachewan and Memorial university of newfounland can easily admit. Also it may be wise to take some open courses from universities in Canada which can boost your GPA, then you can go ahead and apply to better universities.

What do u mean open courses please .....is it all those pre-masters courses..... How about if one does PGD in say Seneca or Fanshawe and then proceed for MSC with the PGD certificate....

Also,I feel Saskatchewan isn't viable for someone with a finance banking background
Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by adesbaba: 4:20pm On Dec 15, 2018
smartkester:
do your findings well, we have schools that takes 2.2 for a masters program in Canada. It seems you are not well informed

My brother,I have bn on such findings for over a year...

Can u kindly suggest one or two schools for me..I willbbe so grateful

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by Bioles1187(m): 5:40pm On Dec 15, 2018
@ atutopoyoyo I love ur story//.keep it up bro d lord is ur strength
Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by DadR: 5:00am On Dec 16, 2018
Following.... wink
Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by Evangkatsoulis: 5:03am On Dec 16, 2018
Tedpgrass:

I'm a little concerned that you're pasting your savings online...

Despite deleting some personal info... Hacking into your account will not be a great difficulty for people who are "gifted" in such areas!!

Y u dey use una hand find trouble

Definitely impossible.

7 Likes

Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by tessytessy(f): 9:06am On Dec 16, 2018
Accommodation would have taken a minimum of 45,000- 50,000 CAD in those three years. Please guide people properly.

katyamizotta:

Respect to your mum.

2 Likes

Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by Nobody: 11:55am On Dec 16, 2018
tessytessy:
Accommodation would have taken a minimum of 45,000- 50,000 CAD in those three years. Please guide people properly.

Did you read from the beginning where he mentioned her accommodation was free?

24 Likes

Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by candyce(f): 12:02pm On Dec 16, 2018
READ! READ!! READDDD!!! you people will not read. Did you read where he said his mum didn't have to pay for accommodation because she was living with a family member?undecided undecided
tessytessy:

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by ASPIREX: 12:30pm On Dec 16, 2018
Sent you a pm sir.
Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by Nobody: 12:52pm On Dec 16, 2018
candyce:
READ! READ!! READDDD!!! you people will not read. Did you read where he said his mum didn't have to pay for accommodation because she was living with a family member?undecided undecided
When Nigerians start reading the government will start being responsible. The duo go together.

25 Likes

Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by ONNYX: 12:55pm On Dec 16, 2018
atutupoyoyo2211:
Hey, guys, received a very good news today. My mum just passed her citizenship exam, she scored 20/20. She is gonna be sworn in by February. My Mother is in her 50's. When she came to Canada 3 years ago with the intention to stay, she didn't know where to start because of her age. But she had the perseverance and drive. She worked as a dish washer for almost a year being paid $12.35 an hour, but she was not discouraged. After the first year as a dishwasher, she was able to find a job as a health care assistant, helping out seniors. It was a hectic job, and she was paid $18 an hour for the job. She took extra shifts and committed herself to saving money. She didn't have to pay for accommodation, because she stayed with a family member. Fast forward December 2018, My mum has saved $53,000 and is now a Canadian citizen. She made the best use of the last 3 years. She is now preparing to go back to Nigeria and get some really deserved rest. My mum used to work as a teacher in Nigeria earning 120,000 naira a month. She said she is not returning to teaching again.
If you believe, you can achieve, an example from a 54 year old woman.

I am nudging 50 (in about 3 years time). I have been considering relocating to Canada for a few weeks now. A little research revealed that I would most likely not be qualified for the express entry format.

How did your mum do it? Under which immigration option?

And I would like to relocate the whole family.

If I could aggregate the sum of 10 Million Naira, would it cover expenses for at least 1 year while we (hubby and wife) look for some earning route?

6 Likes

Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by sunkieisland(m): 2:03pm On Dec 16, 2018
ONNYX:

I am nudging 50 (in about 3 years time). I have been considering relocating to Canada for a few weeks now. A little research revealed that I would most likely not be qualified for the express entry format.

How did your mum do it? Under which immigration option?

And I would like to relocate the whole family.

If I could aggregate the sum of 10 Million Naira, would it cover expenses for at least 1 year while we (hubby and wife) look for some earning route?

I need an answer to the same question though I'm closer to 40 not 50 but my CRS point is lower than 400.

What other route is good for the likes of us. Please let the pros and gurus help us.
Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by Nobody: 3:22pm On Dec 16, 2018
atutupoyoyo2211:
I think maybe i should. Because my intention with this thread is to explain with examples so that others can be encouraged and actually make an attempt to save and succeed.
Op please I need you to sincerely answer this my question. I got done with secondary School in the year 2008 and but i didn't further to the university because of my love for football. I really could play football and promised my late mum I was gonna make it under 4 years tops because I was that good a football player. Time went by and I didn't make it and I finally gave up my dream of been a footballer in the 2016 and mum died last year. I have no mum or dad or a child so I have no problem relocating out of Nigeria but Can I come to Canada with a savings of a million naira that I have and mind you I have just a secondary results and i didn't learn any trade but am a hustler and a tough guy. Please I need your advice. I am 26 but my passport says 20 you no football age na

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Monthly Savings In Canada by AngelicBeing: 5:08pm On Dec 16, 2018
adajiboyy:
Op please I need you to sincerely answer this my question. I got done with secondary School in the year 2008 and but i didn't further to the university because of my love for football. I really could play football and promised my late mum I was gonna make it under 4 years tops because I was that good a football player. Time went by and I didn't make it and I finally gave up my dream of been a footballer in the 2016 and mum died last year. I have no mum or dad or a child so I have no problem relocating out of Nigeria but Can I come to Canada with a savings of a million naira that I have and mind you I have just a secondary results and i didn't learn any trade but am a hustler and a tough guy. Please I need your advice. I am 26 but my passport says 20 you no football age na
Before the Op answers your questions, 1million naira is about 3000 dollars and it is insufficient for Canada trip,if you are desperate to leave Nigeria, look for a country probably within Africa where you can grow that money via small business and from there other options will open up for you

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (42) (Reply)

More Pictures Of The New Lagos Buses / Abuja City - Videos and Photos / Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.