Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,982 members, 7,806,869 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning (16122 Views)

Melania Trump Mocked Over Her 'Creepy' Christmas White House Decorations (Photos / Donald Trump Blasts CNN On Twitter, CNN Replies With An Epic Clapback / White House, Oval Office After N1.22billion Renovations(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by chidima2019: 2:55am On Nov 21, 2018
The White House said on Monday it restored in full the media credentials of CNN reporter Jim Acosta, ending a contentious legal battle, but also warned that he may be ejected again if he fails to abide by new rules being implemented for media events with the US president.

CNN said it was dropping its lawsuit on Acosta’s access, a case that raised concerns over constitutional rights for the press.

“Today the @WhiteHouse fully restored @Acosta’s press pass,” CNN said on Twitter. “As a result, our lawsuit is no longer necessary. We look forward to continuing to cover the White House.”

The White House said it also issued new rules that call for journalists to “ask a single question” and then “yield the floor.” Follow-up questions will only be taken “at the discretion of the president or other White House official.”

“We have created these rules with a degree of regret,” White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said in a statement.

“We would have greatly preferred to continue hosting White House press conferences in reliance on a set of understood professional norms… But, given the position taken by CNN, we now feel obligated to replace previously shared practices with explicit rules.”

Sanders added that “a more elaborate and comprehensive set of rules might need to be devised” for interactions with the president outside the White House, but that it is holding back for now “in the hope that professional journalistic norms will suffice to regulate conduct in those places.”

Acosta returned to the White House on Friday following a court order from a judge hearing CNN’s lawsuit alleging that Acosta’s ejection after a heated exchange with President Donald Trump violated constitutional free press guarantees.

CNN’s suit was backed by major media organizations, including Trump favorite Fox News.

In last week’s order, US District Judge Timothy Kelly ruled that the White House must readmit Acosta because it failed to give the journalist “due process” while reserving judgment on questions of press freedom and constitutional rights.

On Friday, Trump said that “rules and regulations” were being drafted to govern news conferences, where the president or his representatives often accuse journalists — Acosta in particular — of being overly hostile.

Trump critics point out that the president frequently speaks harshly to reporters, for example, last week telling another CNN correspondent several times that her question was “stupid.”

https://www.akelicious.net/2018/11/white-house-restores-cnn-journalists.html

6 Likes

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by richidinho(m): 3:14am On Nov 21, 2018
Now that is a govt that obeys court judgement

79 Likes 3 Shares

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by iammo(m): 3:32am On Nov 21, 2018
Its wonderful to be a citizen of a county that follows the rule of law, and have respect for everyone, imagine a reporter arguing with the president of an African country or Asian and middle east

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by ViralBOY: 3:56am On Nov 21, 2018
Trump dislike the news media saying it's fake but he loves social media, now make I ask? Between CNN news and Twitter posts which one is faker..

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by CityNGR: 3:56am On Nov 21, 2018
Please don't try such with Buhari.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by Youngbbt: 4:19am On Nov 21, 2018
if it was in some country.... one minister would have be claiming them feed him with #3.5m

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by legenddimex(m): 4:58am On Nov 21, 2018

Had it been he tried this in my country, he will be cooling off in Kuje prison now eating watery Beans.
If you think say nah Lie Ask Cownu wetin Bubu do ham.

LEGEND Z HERE

6 Likes

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by CityNGR: 5:32am On Nov 21, 2018
Youngbbt:
if it was in some country.... one minister would have be claiming them feed him with #3.5m
Oil dey yer head bro

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by orisa37: 6:10am On Nov 21, 2018
richidinho:

And Democracy.

11 Likes

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by Dannieln1: 6:11am On Nov 21, 2018
ViralBOY:
Trump dislike the news media saying it's fake but he loves social media, now make I ask? Between CNN news and Twitter posts which one is faker..
Trump takes total control of his twitter account there is nothing like social media account managers, that's why he post whatever he likes and at what ever time he likes...

Unlike in one country where everything is been handled by a first class degree lier..

#TrumpLovesHisTwitter

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by Nobody: 6:11am On Nov 21, 2018
Shame on you Trump! Don't be focus on helping Nigeria uninstall lifeless Jubril,, be there arguing with kids.

9 Likes

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by Onlinealaba(m): 6:12am On Nov 21, 2018
unlike bubu that has bastardized the judiciary..CNN try here

check my siggy, get your electronics, SMART TVs, air conditioners and sound bars at affordable rate,payment on delivery, BUY4ME services available too with POD option.

2 Likes

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by yjgm(m): 6:13am On Nov 21, 2018
Trump is doing a good job trying to be despot and a tyrant. And they will claim to be the greatest democracy.

3 Likes

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by lloyds(m): 6:13am On Nov 21, 2018
Trump and CNN na cat and dog . . Them no like to see each face. Let's see who will win . .

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by babyfaceafrica: 6:13am On Nov 21, 2018
God bless Trump

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by lordkush: 6:13am On Nov 21, 2018
BlacSmit:
Shame on you Trump!
shame in buhari. unlike trump he has no regard for the judiciary

6 Likes

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by Nobody: 6:14am On Nov 21, 2018
finally

can a good Samaritan kindly explain to me what really went down between trump and cnn like the inception of their beef ,,,,

i see cnn almost erday and they are always trying to paint trump the bad guy and trump too painting them the fake news

what really happened between both of em?
thanks

3 Likes

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by babyfaceafrica: 6:15am On Nov 21, 2018
ViralBOY:
both abeg..CNN are no saints please...forget that is trump is eccentric... both CNN and not trump deserve each other

2 Likes

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by yinkus6750(m): 6:17am On Nov 21, 2018
Terror and Dictator Trump humbled, now knows White House isn't Trump Towers, and governance isn't show business.

3 Likes

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by bitcoin215: 6:18am On Nov 21, 2018
That's country where things work

Festive season is here bring your goods from China to nigeria at a very affordable rate.Bring your goods at very cheaper rate before the surge
Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by Figolouis: 6:19am On Nov 21, 2018
this @OYINBOs no dey fear o, if it was in my country that i no, hmm, i reserve my comment.
Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by itchie: 6:21am On Nov 21, 2018
That "journalist" is a disgrace

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by Valfrankie(m): 6:21am On Nov 21, 2018
A Nation that obeys the orders of her Judiciary arm, is a truly democratic and progressive Nation. In my country, the government has no respect for the law and treats her with utmost contempt when the ruling goes against their interest. Never again will the lifeless one be allowed to rule.

2 Likes

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:24am On Nov 21, 2018
In the USA a mere journalist had heated argument with the President, he was evicted, he went to court and got justice.

If it were in Nigeria, he would have been beaten and sent to prison for daring to argue with Oga.

Nigeria shall be great again!

Let's Support Atiku 4 President

10 Likes

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by sdindan: 6:25am On Nov 21, 2018
People that respects rule of law.

Not what we have in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by Flexherbal(m): 6:26am On Nov 21, 2018
It is good , that the Whitehouse listened to the court and the voices of the people.
Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by chronique(m): 6:27am On Nov 21, 2018
I watched the exchange between both and can categorically state that Acosta is a disgrace to journalism. He was intentionally trying to upset the president. He asked questions and was answered and he kept going on and on and the president asked him to put the mic down and allow someone else ask questions but he refused and kept on going at the president... Freedom of speech doesn't imply that one should be very disrespectful and totally stupid.

31 Likes 6 Shares

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by tenmariner: 6:28am On Nov 21, 2018
Youngbbt:

Try and read what actually happy. Why will they feed him..was he arrested in the first place .it was his press access credentials that was withdrawn due to non compliance with press rules at the white house..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by rhemiza(m): 6:29am On Nov 21, 2018
Total respect for rule of law... here in my country you can never win a legal battle with my government. Even international law/ judiciary we ridicule.

2 Likes

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by clemzo101(m): 6:29am On Nov 21, 2018
richidinho:
exactly. If its Nigeria now, he will be kept in DSS custody without charge

2 Likes

Re: White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning by K0y3: 6:37am On Nov 21, 2018
Same thing already happened with buhari. Remember the AIT reporter's case? Now u guys praise trump but abused buhari. Double standard, right?

CityNGR:
Please don't try such with Buhari.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse / I Hope Castro Dies Soon: John McCain / France To Close Embassies Over Cartoon Publication

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.