Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,951 members, 7,806,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:38 PM

Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis (31893 Views)

Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis / Hijab Controversy: UI School Board Retains Dress Code / University Of Ibadan International School Hijab Ban An Invitation To Chaos-MURIC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by ugo4u: 3:06am On Nov 22, 2018
The protesters

Ademola Babalola, Ibadan

The hijab crisis at the University of Ibadan International School took a new twist on Wednesday as Christian, traditional religion and some Muslim pupils’ parents stormed the office of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academics) of the institution, Prof. Adeyinka Aderinto, to register their displeasure against the Muslim Parents Forum.

The forum had been championing the wearing of hijab by female Muslim pupils.

Members of the Muslim Parents Forum had twice in the last 10 days distributed hijab to their female pupils against the school’s prescribed dress code.

The Muslim parents had written a letter to the school management and governing board, stating that their female pupils must be allowed to wear hijab on their school uniforms. The letter was entitled: ‘Notification of Muslim Parents’ Resolution on Hijab for our Muslim Girls in ISI’.

Their agitation and the attendant threat to peace led to the indefinite shutdown of the school on Monday. Series of meetings, including that of the Parent-Teacher Association, which the Muslim parents attended but left midway following irreconcilable differences with the school management and other stakeholders, could not douse the tension in the ISI.

On Wednesday, many placard-carrying parents, including an Ifa priest and researcher, who is also the father of two pupils in the school, Awosanmi Abe, condemned the approach of the Muslim parents to the issue of hijab.

The protesting parents said wearing of hijab in the 55-year-old school was capable of dividing the students along religious lines.

Aside Abe, other leaders of the protesters were Olalekan Thani, a lawyer, and Olusola Aleshin.

They argued that the school was an indivisible entity, which no one or group should be allowed to divide for any reason.

The protesters described as dangerous a situation where little children were being made to discriminate against each other along religious, ethnic and other sentiments instead of emerging as global citizens.

In their letter entitled, ‘Clamour for the introduction of religious emblem for our children in the International School, University of Ibadan’, the parents urged the school’s board, which is headed by the DVC, to ensure that the rules and regulations guiding the institution, and to which all parents signed to uphold, reigned supreme.

They insisted that the pupils were friends and colleagues as well as their parents, stressing that any attempt by some Muslim parents to divide them should not be allowed to succeed.

Some of the inscriptions on the placards read: ‘No to religious discrimination in ISI’, ‘Say yes to peaceful co-existence in ISI’, ‘Stop!! Don’t divide our children’, ‘No to religious crisis’, and ‘Let our uniform be uniform’.

In a letter signed by the trio of Thanni, Abe and Aleshinloye, and addressed to the Vice-Chancellor, UI; the principal and the PTA Chairman, ISI, the parents said they received the news of the second closure of the school in the space of two weeks with serious pain and trauma.

The parents said, “We want to use this medium to inform the management that the school is not only populated by the two dominant religions, but also has traditional believers. These groups have vowed to enforce their rights in line with their Muslim counterparts’ claim to the right to use of their religious emblem in hijab wearing.

“A scenario in which armlets and Ifa traditional beads are freely used as religious symbols in the school will not be funny. What will then become of the uniformity concept of the uniform when the school environment can be taken as a market place of sorts, where a rainbow of apparels is the order of the day? May the day never come when the ISI becomes the example of what a school environment should not be.”

They noted that the ISI Muslim Parents Forum’s position was an attempt to disrupt the academic milieu as well as the atmosphere of love and unity already entrenched among the pupils.

They insisted that the rules and regulations of the school must be binding on all consenting parents and their wards, and that the choice of language and procedure adopted by the Muslim parents in their letter dated November 9, 2018 to the school principal and copied to the Chairman of the Board of Governors was both derogatory and an usurpation of the powers of the board.

They accused the Muslim parents of attempting to disrupt the school’s academic activities as well as the love and unity already existing among the pupils, who do not see religious barriers among themselves.
https://punchng.com/christian-parents-ifa-priest-protest-against-ui-schools-hijab-crisis/

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by ugo4u: 3:07am On Nov 22, 2018
Right before our very own eyes gradually but steady we are witnessing the Somalialization of Yoruba land. So much for a region that is known for "Religious Tolerance". If not for hypocrisy I wonder why any religion will insist on altering the dress-code of any institution when they can easily locate a missionary school that suits their lifestyle.
The Muslims are fond of imposing there way of life in any circular setting, if you try to correct or make them see reasons why religious insignia should restricted in a very diverse society they will begin to protest and destroy properties after which their attack dogs (MUMURIC) will swing into action. But in most schools in the north e.g Ramat Poly in Borno(Government owned institution) forces all female students whether Christians, Idol worshipers etc to wear head-scarfs/ jalabiya, and people comply even though it is owned by a state government that have Indigenous Christians yet nobody raises dust, but muslims will be the first to shout when asked to dress uniformly and decently with their fellow compatriots. The irony of everything is that most of this religious chauvinist especially the ones with very thick black spot in the middle of their forehead cannot live in a total sharia complaint country such as Saudi-Arabia, Pakistan,Yemen etc they prefer to live in the Christian West where they begin to clamor for sharia because of the freedom they enjoy in those countries. Can anyone point to any core Islamic country that will allow the practice of any other religion apart from Islam freely? I have nothing against muslims the right thing must be done, just like I always condemn the apparent fraud/commercialization in some Christian denomination so will I condemn the obvious lack of tolerance from some of our Muslim friends.
PS: I have noticed overtime that it is the poor and wretched people that carry this hijab issue on their head like Sachet water hawkers while the elite and educated amongst them live their lives to the fullest.

268 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by delishpot: 3:10am On Nov 22, 2018
Organized Religion.... The bane of a sane society

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Vicolan: 3:25am On Nov 22, 2018
Why are we always having issues on Religion in Nigeria? This suck.. And we ain't that righteous thou....

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by aolawale025: 3:31am On Nov 22, 2018
Something ain't right

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by bankyblue(m): 5:00am On Nov 22, 2018
Sometimes I just wonder!

Will the hijab give them knowledge?
Will the hijab make them stop doing bad thing?

What religion as done to us in this country can never be mention.....later u will tell me is peace you guys seek!
Always want to dominate where they are.

109 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Nobody: 5:48am On Nov 22, 2018
sad Even though I'm a born again Christian, i think Muslims are been marginalized and their rights are trampled upon in most Southern schools. We Christians should better realize that Nigeria is a secular country dominated by Muslims wether we like it or not. Most schools pray the Christian way without considering the faith of Muslims and yet we Christians still refuse to let Muslims wear an harmless Hijab I hope Muric and other Muslim groups reject this open hypocrisy of we Christians sad

36 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Sikay19(m): 7:05am On Nov 22, 2018
ugo4u:
Right before our very own eyes gradually but steady we are witnessing the Somalialization of Yoruba land. So much for a region that is known for "Religious Tolerance". If not for hypocrisy I wonder why any religion will insist on altering the dress-code of any institution when they can easily locate a missionary school that suits their lifestyle.
The Muslims are fond of imposing there way of life in any circular setting, if you try to correct or make them see reasons why religious insignia should restricted in a very diverse society they will begin to protest and destroy properties after which their attack dogs (MUMURIC) will swing into action. But in most schools in the north e.g Ramat Poly in Borno(Government owned institution) forces all female students whether Christians, Idol worshipers etc to wear head-scarfs/ jalabiya, and people comply even though it is owned by a state government that have Indigenous Christians yet nobody raises dust, but muslims will be the first to shout when asked to dress uniformly and decently with their fellow compatriots. The irony of everything is that most of this religious chauvinist especially the ones with very thick black spot in the middle of their forehead cannot live in a total sharia complaint country such as Saudi-Arabia, Pakistan,Yemen etc they prefer to live in the Christian West where they begin to clamor for sharia because of the freedom they enjoy in those countries. Can anyone point to any core Islamic country that will allow the practice of any other religion apart from Islam freely? I have nothing against muslims the right thing must be done, just like I always condemn the apparent fraud/commercialization in some Christian denomination so will I condemn the obvious lack of tolerance from some of our Muslim friends.
PS: I have noticed overtime that it is the poor and wretched people that carry this hijab issue on their head like Sachet water hawkers while the elite and educated amongst them live their lives to the fullest.
I don't know your age or your status but your opinion is very crass... Comparing Nigeria which is a secular state to core Islamic countries is unreasonable... this is Nigeria where you are allowed to practice religion of your choice. As muslims we have no problem with any forms of dressing every others wears. but Hijab is our identity and we shall not compromise on this... what I don't understand is why are you feeling insecure about this.. inferiority complex is the order of the day.

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by sunnymix: 7:12am On Nov 22, 2018
ugo4u:

The protesters

Ademola Babalola, Ibadan

The hijab crisis at the University of Ibadan International School took a new twist on Wednesday as Christian, traditional religion and some Muslim pupils’ parents stormed the office of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academics) of the institution, Prof. Adeyinka Aderinto, to register their displeasure against the Muslim Parents Forum.

The forum had been championing the wearing of hijab by female Muslim pupils.

Members of the Muslim Parents Forum had twice in the last 10 days distributed hijab to their female pupils against the school’s prescribed dress code.

The Muslim parents had written a letter to the school management and governing board, stating that their female pupils must be allowed to wear hijab on their school uniforms. The letter was entitled: ‘Notification of Muslim Parents’ Resolution on Hijab for our Muslim Girls in ISI’.

Their agitation and the attendant threat to peace led to the indefinite shutdown of the school on Monday. Series of meetings, including that of the Parent-Teacher Association, which the Muslim parents attended but left midway following irreconcilable differences with the school management and other stakeholders, could not douse the tension in the ISI.

On Wednesday, many placard-carrying parents, including an Ifa priest and researcher, who is also the father of two pupils in the school, Awosanmi Abe, condemned the approach of the Muslim parents to the issue of hijab.

The protesting parents said wearing of hijab in the 55-year-old school was capable of dividing the students along religious lines.

Aside Abe, other leaders of the protesters were Olalekan Thani, a lawyer, and Olusola Aleshin.

They argued that the school was an indivisible entity, which no one or group should be allowed to divide for any reason.

The protesters described as dangerous a situation where little children were being made to discriminate against each other along religious, ethnic and other sentiments instead of emerging as global citizens.

In their letter entitled, ‘Clamour for the introduction of religious emblem for our children in the International School, University of Ibadan’, the parents urged the school’s board, which is headed by the DVC, to ensure that the rules and regulations guiding the institution, and to which all parents signed to uphold, reigned supreme.

They insisted that the pupils were friends and colleagues as well as their parents, stressing that any attempt by some Muslim parents to divide them should not be allowed to succeed.

Some of the inscriptions on the placards read: ‘No to religious discrimination in ISI’, ‘Say yes to peaceful co-existence in ISI’, ‘Stop!! Don’t divide our children’, ‘No to religious crisis’, and ‘Let our uniform be uniform’.

In a letter signed by the trio of Thanni, Abe and Aleshinloye, and addressed to the Vice-Chancellor, UI; the principal and the PTA Chairman, ISI, the parents said they received the news of the second closure of the school in the space of two weeks with serious pain and trauma.

The parents said, “We want to use this medium to inform the management that the school is not only populated by the two dominant religions, but also has traditional believers. These groups have vowed to enforce their rights in line with their Muslim counterparts’ claim to the right to use of their religious emblem in hijab wearing.

“A scenario in which armlets and Ifa traditional beads are freely used as religious symbols in the school will not be funny. What will then become of the uniformity concept of the uniform when the school environment can be taken as a market place of sorts, where a rainbow of apparels is the order of the day? May the day never come when the ISI becomes the example of what a school environment should not be.”

They noted that the ISI Muslim Parents Forum’s position was an attempt to disrupt the academic milieu as well as the atmosphere of love and unity already entrenched among the pupils.

They insisted that the rules and regulations of the school must be binding on all consenting parents and their wards, and that the choice of language and procedure adopted by the Muslim parents in their letter dated November 9, 2018 to the school principal and copied to the Chairman of the Board of Governors was both derogatory and an usurpation of the powers of the board.

They accused the Muslim parents of attempting to disrupt the school’s academic activities as well as the love and unity already existing among the pupils, who do not see religious barriers among themselves.
https://punchng.com/christian-parents-ifa-priest-protest-against-ui-schools-hijab-crisis/
Say no to Religion biogtry ..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Promismike(m): 7:21am On Nov 22, 2018
I still wonder what is peaceful about Islam.

Every little misunderstanding calls for crisis, killing and destruction.

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Riversides2003(m): 7:21am On Nov 22, 2018
If am an idol worshipper hope I will be allowed to wear my own religious attire to school sha.

7 Likes

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Auladimeji1: 7:22am On Nov 22, 2018
Muslim thinks they are the only one that can protest, they're learners

78 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by SimplePlan34: 7:23am On Nov 22, 2018
Why is Dat every where in d world Muslims are allowed to disregard d law and get away with it. If u want d school to allow hijab then go through all management avenues including parents teachers association. Not forcefully distributing hijab. I just pity we the yoruba non Muslims in a few years time we would be slaves to the emirate.

Anybody who says this is not a religious matter should jump into the nearest Lagoon.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Nobody: 7:23am On Nov 22, 2018
Sikay19:

I don't know your age or your status but your opinion is very crass... Comparing Nigeria which is a secular state to core Islamic countries is unreasonable... this is Nigeria where you are allowed to practice religion of your choice. As muslims we have no problem with any forms of dressing every others wears. but Hijab is our identity and we shall not compromise on this... what I don't understand is why are you feeling insecure about this.. inferiority complex is the order of the day.

You think you're the only one that knows how to protest undecided take your children to Muslim school and leave the secular schools if you don't want to abide by the school's laid down code of dressing.

Btw you should remove the hijab/turban from your head to allow your brain receive sense since you don't know what inferiority complex means undecided

171 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by holuphisayor(m): 7:23am On Nov 22, 2018
Wetin we no see for this shithole?

That was how I saw a bus with this inscription "Association of Yoruba Imams" grin

Everything now na association.

20 Likes

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by paulchineduN(m): 7:24am On Nov 22, 2018
Sikay19:

U are the one religiously blinded to the extent that u forgot that there is something called emancipation of mind which comes with sound education. Did u read the submission of students' parents who are also Muslims but not fanatical like u? Are u aware that even Ifa priests lend credence to the assertion that bringing religious colouration to the school will divide their children along religious lines? It's unfortunate that Mumuric, peopled by ur likes has refused to see beyond religious fanaticism

109 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by otswag(m): 7:24am On Nov 22, 2018
Smh

1 Like

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Akinola2543(m): 7:24am On Nov 22, 2018
religion has taken so much from us in this country than any deadly diseases. smh

3 Likes

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Komolafe89: 7:24am On Nov 22, 2018
bankyblue:
Sometimes I just wonder!

What religion as done to us in this country can never be mention.....later u will tell me is peace you guys seek!
animal will the hijab affecting you ? Do they force you to to use it or what affects you there

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by pawesome(m): 7:25am On Nov 22, 2018
Where that yeye muric

This AFONJA Muslims no go allow person rest abi

3 Likes

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by LisaAnne(f): 7:25am On Nov 22, 2018
Sikay19:

y'all are the insecure ones

59 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by flyca: 7:26am On Nov 22, 2018
Komolafe89:
animal will the hijab affecting you ? Do they force you to to use it or what affects you there
Whaaaaat
Tell me why you should compel a young teenage girl to wear an hijab in this tropical region full of heat! Because of your insecurities right?

How can a sane man, look at a kid that age with lust in his eyes? Plus all the attrocities committed by your religious leaders on young ones. Does hijab stop your kinsmen from marrying pre-puberty kids?

Now tell me who is the animal? undecided

83 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by ololadeking(m): 7:26am On Nov 22, 2018
Sikay19:

I don't know your age or your status but
you are a very big fool

87 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by pawesome(m): 7:26am On Nov 22, 2018
bankyblue:
Sometimes I just wonder!

if only you know what goes on under d hijab grin

15 Likes

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Baddiezz(f): 7:26am On Nov 22, 2018
Komolafe89:

75 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by gratiaeo(m): 7:26am On Nov 22, 2018
Muslims are worst set of people in the world.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by nawtyme: 7:26am On Nov 22, 2018
Are there no Islamic schools in the state? Those who value hijab more than education should go to the Islamic schools in the state.

If this trend continues, they will soon enroll in catholic schools and insist they be allowed to wear hijab.

If they are allowed to wear hijab today, who knows what they will demand tomorrow? Maybe forcefull conversion as usual.

Crazy people

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Neimar: 7:26am On Nov 22, 2018
I must fuuuccccck a Muslim pussy

12 Likes

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Magalan: 7:27am On Nov 22, 2018
The school has been co-existing peacefully for 55 years, generations have come and gone with notable figures across all divides, now religion wants to ruin it.

20 Likes

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by herkeem: 7:27am On Nov 22, 2018
The International School Ibadan (ISI) and the Hijab Ban.

ISI is a secondary school under the control of the management of University of Ibadan. The school has been in the news in the last few days for its refusal to allow willing female Muslim students use Hijab on their uniform. The situation has degenerated to the extent that the Muslim students were shut out of the school among other unwarranted actions of the school as represented by the Principal, one Mrs Phebean Olowe.

I have read and listened to different opinions on the development and I am not sorry for the positions I take on the matter. Before I conclude with my positions however, I have a few questions for the Principal in question as well as anyone with position same as or similar to that of the school management:

1. Does the wearing of Hijab by the willing female Muslim students portend any danger/evil for their colleagues (who don't), the school or anyone for that matter?

2. Is it against the law of the land for the students of such a 'public' school to wear Hijab?

3. Does their observance of that aspect of their constitutional rights rub or deny anyone of his?

If the genuine answers to the above questions are NO, then I am of the opinion that the assertion that the school's reactions are borne out of hatred for Islam and the Muslims must be very true and this has to stop and stop NOW.

And for those who might be asking, does their not wearing Hijab portend any danger? Yes, it does and contrary to the opinions of those that know not, not wearing Hijab makes female muslims less Muslims because it's not a flexible commandment. If your wish is really not to make them non-Muslims, let them use what makes them the Muslims that they are.

I call on all the concerned stakeholders and well meaning people of the society to intervene in good time to allow our female Muslim students join their colleagues without any further victimization, molestation, discrimination or disdainful treatment of any kind.

Leyin aponle, abuku lo Ku o........... Tori a ko le wa sa fun keke lo kolu moto.....

Adesanjo Oyejide.

12 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

How To Increase Your Vocabulary Skills / ASUU: NANS Rejects FG's Black Market Judgement / Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.