Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,678 members, 7,801,955 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:52 AM

Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts (29401 Views)

Why It Is Dangerous To Give An Accident Victim Water To Drink - Expert / Why It’s Dangerous To Start Having Sex Before 16 / Why Sleep Deprivation Is Dangerous To Your Health (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by ikorodureporta: 5:56pm On Nov 22, 2018
There is increasing evidence that when we eat, what we eat and how much we eat are important. In this report by Sade Oguntola, experts urge individuals to consider adjusting their dinner time because eating too late may lead to high blood pressure and prediabetes.

People that skip meals, eat dinner later than 6pm, haphazardly, or one meal a day are less healthy than people who have regular sit-down meals with others.

Analysis into the nutritional effects of eating habits has established the effects of irregular meal times on the likelihood of poor health from some diseases.

In a new population-based study, researchers found that everyday eating habits like late night meals is associated with reduced blood sugar control and higher chances of developing prediabetes and hypertension.

People who consumed at least 30 per cent of their food after 6 pm had 23 per cent higher risk of hypertension and 19 per cent higher risk of prediabetes compared with those who ate less in the evening. These associations were especially common in women.

They also had a higher level of fasting blood glucose, insulin resistance as well as blood pressure. A high level of fasting blood glucose is indicative of diabetes. The study was presented during the 2018 American Heart Association’s Scientific Sessions.

Insulin allows body cells to store glucose as fuel. Obesity can build up resistance to insulin, which the body then tries to counter by producing more insulin, which leads to high levels of blood sugar and Type 2 diabetes.

A high fasting blood sugar level can be considered a sign of prediabetes. Prediabetes means that a person’s blood sugar levels are abnormally high, but not high enough to be considered diabetes. Seventy per cent of people with prediabetes go on to develop type 2 diabetes, which is a risk factor for heart disease.

The researchers evaluated 12,708 participants Hispanics and Latinos with an age range of 18 to 76 years. None of the participants had cancer or diabetes. They recorded their blood glucose levels, blood pressure, meal timing and daily caloric intake, specifically observing the amount of calories they consumed after 6 p.m.

Of these participants, the average daily energy was 35.7 per cent after 6 pm, and more than half reported eating at least 30 per cent of energy after 6 pm.

Increasingly, people in Nigeria, like other parts of the world, now go to sleep later at night and get fewer hours of sleep. And with that delayed lifestyle, are higher rates of late-night eating.

Amazingly, such unhealthy eating pattern such as eating late meals is overlooked even though it can predispose to diabetes, heart disease and other cardiovascular diseases

Paradoxically, “every unhealthy lifestyle such as eating very late, eating one meal a day, eating haphazardly and skipping breakfast, can all increase chances of an individual developing diabetes” said Professor Olufemi Fasanmade, a consultant endocrinologist, Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), Lagos.

Basically, meal times are supposed to be regular. Breakfast, the first meal in the day, is supposed to be before 10am, second meal between 12noon and 2pm and the third meal between 5pm and 7pm.

“When you eat say breakfast at 11am, it means that you eat when you are extremely hungry, which is not healthy. If you are eating breakfast after 11am, when do you want to eat lunch?

“If lunch is taken by 2pm, or maybe 4pm, you now want to have dinner before you sleep, may be 8.30pm. That is eating three meals together within an eight-hour period. You are eating too close to each other. That is not healthy.

“That is why people that are too busy, who do not take time out to eat at the right time often have diabetes. They are busy pursuing so many things, and eating junks and late meals. Food eaten late does not digest, but only settles in the tummy. That is why we talk about stress as a risk for diabetes. So, we must learn to live a stress-free lifestyle.”

Dr Yemi Raji, a consultant Nephrologist, University College Hospital, Ibadan, corroborated that eating late eating increases the risk for hypertension, obesity and Type 2 diabetes because the possibility of burning it off before going to bed is reduced.

He added, “It is the storing of the calories and fat that contributes to increased cardio-metabolic rate, so night time eating is a major cardiovascular factor that people need to be aware of.”

Dr Raji, who said dinner, should always be light meals, stated that ideally, dinner should not be later than 7pm, so that there could be at least three hours between the meal and bed time.

He added, “it is better to go hungry to bed than feed your body with something that the body will not digest before bedtime, except if before going to bed you can embark on say about 30 minutes exercise to help lower the calories in your blood stream.”

Moreover, Dr Funmi Akinyele, Executive Director, Food Basket Foundation International, Ibadan, said there is some truth in the saying ‘eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper’ to avoid poor health.

Dr Akinyele, who remarked that bad eating practices are rife in Nigeria, stated “the challenge is that a lot of people tend to eat late and they tend to eat wrong meals.”

According to her, “Because probably they did not eat lunch, they may go for heavy meals like eba and iyan at dinner time. Timing is important because you need to give your food sometime to digest. But portion sizes and the type of food are equally important.”

For dinner, Dr Akinyele said starchy foods should be avoided and preference given to fruits, vegetables and nuts.

Medical experts have long known that “what you eat and how much you eat is critically important — not only in the treatment and management of diabetes but, quite frankly, in the treatment and management of other cardiovascular risk factors.

Previously, a study, published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, found that eating later in the evening was associated with a higher percentage of body fat.

Researchers collected data from 110 college students over 30 days to observe their sleep times and eating habits. They also looked at when subjects released melatonin — the sleep hormone — to determine where their circadian rhythm (body clocks) was at.

Results showed that those with a high body-fat percentage consumed most of their calories shortly before going to bed, when melatonin levels were high.

Eating late at night is also linked with the lethal form of high blood pressure which can trigger heart attacks. The study found that those who eat dinner late are much more likely to suffer from this “non-dipper hypertension”—the lethal form of high blood pressure where pressure fails to drop properly overnight.

In total, 24 per cent of those who ate dinner within two hours of going to bed suffered from blood pressure which did not drop sufficiently overnight, compared with 14 per cent of those who ate their evening meal earlier.

Experts say that eating late leaves the body on “high alert”, encouraging the production of stress hormones, such as adrenaline, while it might also disrupt the circadian rhythms and causing blood pressure not to decrease during sleep, which should normally happen.

Source: https://www.tribuneonlineng.com/174965/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by ikorodureporta: 5:57pm On Nov 22, 2018
I eat anytime

41 Likes

Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by Kalapizim(m): 6:27pm On Nov 22, 2018
yeye me wey dry close 5 reach house 8 where I get time to dey choose time to eat.

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by NigeriaIsDoomed: 6:34pm On Nov 22, 2018
Me wey dey even cook around 11pm come eat around 12.After all these dos and don'ts we go still come die.
Abeg make we live our life as we like.

96 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by softmind24: 6:38pm On Nov 22, 2018
Not for naija 6 pm I never start cooking

Wen person return from work around 9pm all thanks to traffic

14 Likes

Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by obonujoker(m): 6:43pm On Nov 22, 2018
Lol... When many people get home 9pm because of traffic... Sometimes young guys like us have to visit mai shai to eat bread, egg and tea or indomie at 9:30pm....

OK o.... grin

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by Probz(m): 7:28pm On Nov 22, 2018
And leaving the house endangers life.

8 Likes

Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by mynaijadj(m): 7:28pm On Nov 22, 2018
Ye! Mogbe!

2 Likes

Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by WinningEleven(m): 7:28pm On Nov 22, 2018
Na person way no get work day chop by 6pm

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by Odunharry(m): 7:28pm On Nov 22, 2018
Taaa. This people are joking. I'm sure they don't know the number of students let not talk about people out in the street who eat as late as 11pm some even midnight.

Dangerous ko.

When I catch those researchers...

32 Likes

Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by izzy4shizzy(m): 7:28pm On Nov 22, 2018
Mtcheew na today?

1 Like

Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by Yewandequeen(f): 7:29pm On Nov 22, 2018
Mbok
Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by xynerise: 7:29pm On Nov 22, 2018
So I should shun dinner when I get home late? Mtchew

1 Like

Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by UncletC: 7:29pm On Nov 22, 2018
very true
the best thing to do after late eating is to stay for about 4 hours before going to bed for sleep.
Anything other than this amounts to a certainty that will come during old age.
save your grandchildren that trouble of holding you to do everything when you get old.
start eating wisely to stay strong and healthy when you get old before you look for who to blame for not leading you to the toilet or bath you at 70 years

7 Likes

Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by iammo(m): 7:29pm On Nov 22, 2018
smiley , you work out and goto gym, you eat less carb and more veggies, you don't eat meat, you avoid premarital sex, you are religious and spiritual, you avoid alcohol and drugs..... You would still die, and may even die in the comfort of your own home especially in Nigeria where average life expectancy is 53 years

14 Likes

Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by LifeDrama: 7:29pm On Nov 22, 2018
Na you wan tell me when to eat?
Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by peteruuu(m): 7:29pm On Nov 22, 2018
Abeg undecided
I'm just cooking my rice and beans grin

1 Like

Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by Pidginwhisper: 7:29pm On Nov 22, 2018
E remain make dem tell us say having sex for hot sunny afternoon is dangerous. Even though we sabi say na jobless ppl dey fcck for inside hot Sun. grin

6 Likes

Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by Nedukkc: 7:30pm On Nov 22, 2018
All this people sabi form sabinus our forefathers wey no get time didn’t they live Longer than we’re living now??

Abeg anythime hunger comes chop no mind them

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by KraticKratus: 7:30pm On Nov 22, 2018
The war has ended. Food dey.
Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by realKingkelvin: 7:30pm On Nov 22, 2018
yen yen, we don hear..tell that to people in lag
Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by Itzurboi(m): 7:30pm On Nov 22, 2018
Expert that would still die after all the do and don't, is that one an expert... Taaaaa

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by millionboi2: 7:30pm On Nov 22, 2018
Story

I have a very fast metabolism,so I eat late as not to wake up hungry early in d morning.

And bliv u me is d best4me

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by inoki247: 7:30pm On Nov 22, 2018
yy
Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by Dshocker(m): 7:30pm On Nov 22, 2018
Ever since i have been born,my dinner is somewhere around 7:30 -10pm so i don't know what this doctor is talking about.

4 Likes

Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by Triniti(m): 7:30pm On Nov 22, 2018
Can’t work here, most homes start preparing dinner by 7:00pm in the evening
Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by slawomir: 7:30pm On Nov 22, 2018
Isoright

When i dey eat round the clock

I dey even wake up eat around 2am

1 Like

Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by Kxngstein(m): 7:31pm On Nov 22, 2018
belle no get opening and closing time biko.

7 Likes

Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by gurunlocker: 7:31pm On Nov 22, 2018
Wey be say that 6pm, you still dey inside traffic for Lag.

1 Like

Re: Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts by Mike008(m): 7:32pm On Nov 22, 2018
All these experts with their nonsense theories.

Imagine, food fa!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Health Benefits Of Guava Leaves You Should Know / Help! Drug Is Ruining My Relationship / #DNA Saga: Let Hospitals Conduct Compulsory DNA Test After Child Birth - Orji

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.