Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:35 AM

President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? (2015 Views)

Fashola’s Tenure, A Failure –PDP / Buhari And Obasanjo's Tenure More Corrupt Than GEJ Tenure - TI / Jonathan Is A Complete Failure! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? by Jimiyke(m): 1:13pm On Apr 12, 2007
did any one beleive that obj's rule in this country was totaly a falure?
Re: President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? by jesusfreak(f): 6:57pm On Apr 12, 2007
i saw it coming, so did a lot of pple!

the guy has let a lot of his faithfuls down, and he's not even ashamed of himself! angry

look at the way he's carrying on like nigeria is his farm business. what a crude man! and now he's declared a public holiday so that the supreme court wont sit on atiku's judgement

atiku's no saint but i think if he's going down obj shld go down with him cos they both embezzeld the PTDF funds angry

[flash=200,200][/flash]
Re: President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? by Mamajama(m): 7:00pm On Apr 12, 2007
How do you classify failure? define failure please
what are you comparing OBJ to, BUHARI? IBB or ABACHA? what has he done to fail the masses please tell us? I particularly don't care for any elected official in Nigeria, but in fairness I think OBJ is the best thing compare to his predecessors
Re: President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? by saintchux(m): 7:52pm On Apr 12, 2007
MAMAJAMA:

How do you classify failure? define failure please
what are you comparing OBJ to, BUHARI? IBB or ABACHA? what has he done to fail the masses please tell us? I particularly don't care for any elected official in Nigeria, but in fairness I think OBJ is the best thing compare to his predecessors

You see why Nigeria will never develop!!!

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-47506.0.html

Here you said that because Tinubu gave buses and car to teachers and traditional ruler, he is bribing them, therefore he is a failure!

You are here defending OBJ that he is not a failure.
Re: President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? by Mamajama(m): 8:01pm On Apr 12, 2007
saintchux why are you people so shallow minded? did you see any where on my post where I said OBJ is without fault? all I asked is please give us example of how he has failed the nation. Even Ray Charles can see the different between black and white. Duh

Jimiyke:

did any one beleive that obj's rule in this country was totally a falure?

is this Enough information to say someone is a failure? Mr intelligence?
Re: President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? by CrudeOil2(m): 8:08pm On Apr 12, 2007
MAMAJAMA,
First of all take a look at where you live.What do u see?No light,no water. Then you go across the road(if you have roads at all).What do u see?Under-aged children risking their precious lives seliing pure water or little snacks not worth more than 100 naira.You also see unemployed graduates looking for jobs,

After noticing these sufferings your follow Nigerians go through,it is very wicked and saddistic of you to say that OBJ is the best thing that happened to Nigeria.Compare other governments and that of our present dictator.You would find out that OBJ destroyed Nigeria.

No light

No water

No Money

No job

Highest number of air crashes,pipeline disasters etc

YOU ARE F****ING SADDIST.
Re: President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? by Mamajama(m): 8:46pm On Apr 12, 2007
Crude Oil I wont trade words with you. if I may ask how old are you? All the points you've just listed are every way of life for Nigerians for over 40 years.

Crude Oil:

MAMAJAMA,
First of all take a look at where you live.What do u see?No light,no water. Then you go across the road(if you have roads at all).What do u see?Under-aged children risking their precious lives seliing pure water or little snacks not worth more than 100 naira.You also see unemployed graduates looking for jobs,

After noticing these sufferings your follow Nigerians go through,it is very wicked and saddistic of you to say that OBJ is the best thing that happened to Nigeria.Compare other governments and that of our present dictator.You would find out that OBJ destroyed Nigeria.

No light

No water

No Money

No job

Highest number of air crashes,pipeline disasters etc

YOU ARE F****ING SADDIST.

Where were you during Shagari regime and Umaru dikko said Nigerians are not suffering until they start eating from dust bin?

where were you when Joseph wires stole billion of Dollars away from Nigeria? where were u when IBB stole

billion from Nigeria. so before you start insulting your elders go back and talk to your parents and let them

educate you and keep you posted.
Re: President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? by GNature(m): 8:52pm On Apr 12, 2007
@MAMAJAMA

I think people were expecting OBJ to solve all of Nigeria's problems (100%) when he took over in 1999.
Re: President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? by Jimiyke(m): 11:28am On Apr 13, 2007
cheesy SOLVE WHAT? OBJ KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING, VERY AROGANT HUMAN BEING. WHO DOES NOT CARE IF THE MASSES ARE LIVING OR DIEING. THIS IS A VERY OWFULL SITUATION IN THIS COUNTRY, LOOK AT HOW HE IS GOING ROUND THE COUNTRY DOING CAMPAIGHN FOR YARADUA. HMMMM OBJ SHOULD BE VERY CAREFULL,
Re: President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? by joshO: 2:00pm On Apr 13, 2007
OBJ has performed commendably, much more than all those before him. Failure of certain policies there are, but that hardly qualifies him as a TOTAL FAILURE.

The biggest issue in Nigeria today is curruption. As long as this persist, we're all wasting our time. He was bold enough to introduces Ribadu to fight this scourge with both conventional and unconventional methods given that the problem has sunk to new depts.  But allas,  people like you complain it's selective because Atiku and his likes are fingered.

I quote a popular phrase from a former President of Singapore, Le Kwan Yew

"More than economics, more than politics, a nation?s culture will determine its fate. So says the"

Despite all the outcry, Le Kwan did all that was necessary, including throwing scores of people in jail and even summary hangings, in order to create a new culture. He dealt squarely with the press (and their entrenched currupt and conniving habits).  Today we all know how progressive and developed singapore is as a nation.

Rawlings did the same and Ghana is all the better today. If it takes a "crude" man to blast the decay from our system once and for all by any means necessary, so be it. I don't see any innocent people being unfairly persecuted.
Re: President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? by saintchux(m): 9:38pm On Apr 13, 2007
MAMAJAMA:

saintchux why are you people so shallow minded? did you see any where on my post where I said OBJ is without fault? all I asked is please give us example of how he has failed the nation. Even Ray Charles can see the different between black and white. Duh

is this Enough information to say someone is a failure? Mr intelligence?

That good.

So Tinubu giving out car and buses is enough information to call him a failure.

If I do bad, I will go to hell, but when you do the same, you will go to purgatory, where your sin will be forgiven to enable you enter heaven. That is our problem. Condemn it no matter who does that.
Re: President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? by donan(m): 10:57am On Apr 16, 2007
@MAMAJAMA
I can see from your location dat u don't leave in naija. U cannot see the predicament of our people. may be when u come to naija nxt time u should just take a tour of the real naija, i mean places other than abuja and lagos to see wat we are passing through under obj. To me, obj is not better than any of his predecessors and the difference between there gov is just that, one is military and the other is civilian.at least we see good roads and some other things during the military regime. in my place and many other places, the roads, light and water are better during the military regime.so i don't see any success in this 8years.
Re: President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? by babasin(m): 12:57pm On Apr 16, 2007
OBJ is a completed failure:

1999:

N80 --> $1
N13 per litre of Petrol
6000MW of electricity
>45% Capacity of Refinery
there was Odi Village

2007:

N132 -->$1
N50 per litre of Petrol
1000MW of electricity
< 30% Capacity of Refinery
about 20, 000 people have died since 1999. This alsmost equal to Iragi War.
Odi Village was wiped out
Re: President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? by aminuyaro: 3:02pm On Apr 16, 2007
TO:MAMAJAMA

I cant believe how ignorant u are. U thing u are older than us but u have no idea wat u are talking abt. Nigerian sitituation is not abt age man. over 27years I have watch nigerian sitituation detoriate, from good to bad to worst and OBJ term was worst of the worst i can bet my life on that. What excatly are u gonna tell us that OBJ's terms that has done to naija? Lack of petrol, insecurity,electricity,curruption, embezilment of public funds, lack of good roads? and many more! WHAT? WHAT? please tell me. And tell me one thing that is better now than before OBJ. OH! I know wat u gonna say, Mobile fones and that is bullshit, that is not wat nigerians needs, besides who needs mobiles when u need to go to ur neighbour that has generator to charge it? or put credit ones in a month. Or u gonna tell me EFCC? when they are being bias, chasing after PDP rivals. Mind u am not saying they are useless but shud totally independent and unbias. the thing is that we dont expect govt to solve all our problems but provide us with best opportunities, like good security, good health service,roads,education,infrastructure etc and watch how nigeria progress. The Irony is none of the point i mention can be pass as average in nigerian system. So dont talk abt OBJ being the best nigeria has seen. The fact remain Nigeria deserve the best. We have the highest resource in Africa and human potentials, just need to put them to good use. U call urself MAMAJAMA, more like MAMABULL**T
[color=#990000][/color][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? by dayokanu(m): 7:39am On Apr 17, 2007
@All,
Mamajama,Osho and GNature are all outside the country so they dont know what is happening in Nigeria.
No light/Electricity,
No security Minister of justice, Dikibo, Harry Mashalls, Funsho Williams were killed and no solution till now, Disregard for court orders,
Executive gangsterism e.g chris Uba, Adedibu e.t.c now election rigging Imagine Edo, Ondo, Oyo, Osun and Ekiti state the large scale rigging going on.
Terrible roads

It is convinient for you all to be in another country where things work well and commend a complete failure in Nigeria Why dont you come back to Nigeria full time and see things for yourself?
Re: President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? by aminuyaro: 2:31pm On Apr 17, 2007
Dayokanu

Sorry to said that is not abt being in nigeria or outside it for some ppl. I myself has not being in nigeria for the fast 5years, and i still have nigeria in my heart. I woke up every morning thinking abt wat my ppl are going thru, families, friends and everybody. I love nigeria, I keep my self updated abt it on a daily if not hour basis, I konow wats going on and I can feel it to a certain extent. I wanna come back am help but i have other issues to solve coz am not comin back to help if i dont have anything to show for it. I promise my self long time ago that i will never abandon my ppl. I have no interest in politicts, but i will do my best to help d helpless one step at a time. I am very happy where I am but i will not be fulfill untill I see Nigeria change for a better future. I dont care where I start from coz am a northerner form kano to be specific, but I dont care of ethnicity,or regionalism. I care abt everybody coz we r all nigerians. i just wish ppl will be same and try help each other to get ppl out the mess
[b][/b].
Re: President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? by mazaje(m): 3:01pm On Apr 17, 2007
I don't live in Nigeria but i have been visiting and the situation is bad. Any country that can not solve its power problem can not slove any problem it has. over $500 billion in earnings and no electricty water and good roads!!! this is prospesterous and appalling.

GSM is an innovation that comes with time, even somalia that has been without a government for years has GSM service providers so thats not an issue and it is not an achievement ,besides most of the neigbhouring countries had GSM before Nigeria.

People are suffering and dying like chickens and the government has not done anything at all. when IBB was president there was electricty and the roads were a bit good, now there is no electricty and there are no roads, petroluem prices have increased, no security, higest rate of bank robbery, open support for thugs and criminals and very high rate of corruption.  for two striaght years the national budget was not implemented because Nigeria was hosting the All African games and the CHOGUM. yet some people come out and say OBJ has done very well. please let us know what OBJ has done with the over $500 billion he has earned.
Re: President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? by Abeem(m): 4:38am On Apr 18, 2007
I agree that OBJ"s tenure is a complete failure. Here is why:

To me one thing is clear, the PDP government under Obasanjo has been in sum total a failure. True the government has made some significant achievements in the eight years. But, the failures have wiped out the benefits of the progress made to the extent that given the amount of funds available in the eight years - about N8 trillion - which represents more money than Nigerian governments since 1914 have had to spend, the result has been disappointing. Paradoxically enough, the calamity can be attributed, principally, to the corruption which the president proclaimed from the first day that he would be fighting but which had become a bigger monster under the PDP government. Below are twenty selected reasons why it would amount to self-imposed national suicide for us to again vote in the PDP.

There is no attempt here to arrange the reasons in a chronological or alphabetical order. There is, however, a conscious attempt to provide a zonal focus to the failures we all experience nationwide. I have as much as possible placed, side by side, promises made with the actual performance which can be verified. Since Obasanjo in 2007 during the presidential campaigns of the PDP had assumed the role of the campaigner instead of allowing Yar’Adua to speak for himself, he had made his own credibility as a leader the acid test for the acceptability of the party. This might not be fair to Yar’Adua, but the fault is his and that of his party for allowing a flawed president to speak on his behalf.

Number one: “My priorities will be eradication of poverty. A situation in which 70 per cent of Nigerians live on less than $1 a day is unacceptable. The second is to eradicate corruption which has become a cankerworm which has eaten deep into the social fabric”— President-elect Obasanjo during his interview with CNN after his victory was announced, April 1999. To demonstrate his determination to eradicate poverty, Obasanjo released N10 billion, without legislative approval to Chief Tony Anenih, who was appointed the chairman of the poverty alleviation agency. Till today, no account has been given in respect of the expenditure. First, anticipatory approval is illegal; lack of accountability is even more immoral. Until the N10 billion is publicly accounted for it must be assumed to have been “misappropriated” or “misapplied” to use their terms.

Anenih is chairman of the Board of Trustees of PDP and Obasanjo is the president. Can a party parading two such top leaders be trusted again with the national treasury. Number two:“Blackout will be a thing of the past by December” said late Chief Bola Ige, then minister for power and steel, June 1999. When Ige made that proclamation, nobody disputed it in government. Today, with over N1.3 trillion spent on NEPA, the nation is experiencing worse power failure than we did under Abacha. Power provides the basis for economic growth and development. No nation which is great today has failed to guarantee power supply. If the PDP government failed so woefully in eight years and after spending so much money, what right has it to ask for another term? By the way, to whom were the N1.3 trillion contracts awarded? You bet they were top party members of the PDP.

Promises on roads can serve proxy for other promises made on other sectors. So here they are. Number three: “The Onitsha-Owerri road, I dualise am”, said Obasanjo in 2003 at Onitsha during his re-election campaign. Even a blind person travelling on that road today can testify to the fact that less than ten kilometres of the road had been dualised four years after. The minster of information at the time, Professor Jerry Gana, claimed that N50 billion had been set aside for the road. What happened to the N50 billion? Where is the road? To call this an unkept campaign promise would amount to the greatest under-statement. It was a blatant lie and it remains one. Nobody in his/her right senses whose home town or village lies along the 130 kilometres or who must ply the road regularly can possibly be persuaded to vote for PDP again. Also related is the second Niger Bridge which was promised eight years ago. Till today, there is no bridge.

Number four: “The Warri-Patani-Port Harcourt Road will be dualised”. Obasanjo during his presidential campaign in 1999. Today, the Warri-Patani-Port Harcourt road remains a death trap. Eight years after, the promise remains unfulfilled. Yet, this part of the country provided the largest percentage of votes to PDP in 1999 and 2003. For how long must the people allow themselves to be fooled by their selfish leaders who sell them to the Federal Government which has demonstrated over again that it does not care for them. Number five: “The Ibadan-Ilorin expressway will be completed very soon after we take control” said Obasanjo during his presidential campaign in 1999 at Ibadan. Till today, the road remains uncompleted. Interestingly enough, Obasanjo as military head of state had promised to dualise that road in 1977 and again during his farewell tour in 1979 - that was 28 years ago. For how long will the people of Oyo and Kwara, as well as Niger who had been promised roads (Ilorin to Jebba and Mokwa) again accept these meaningless assurances?

Let me at this point summarise on roads very quickly to enable us focus on other aspects of this government’s failure. Major roads such as Port Harcourt-Aba-Enugu Express, Sagamu-Ore-Benin, Ife-Akure-Ifon-Oluku, Bauchi-Gombe-Numan-Yola (or Jalingo), Funtua-Gusau-Sokoto, Katsina-Jibiya-Kaura Namoda-Gusau, Bauchi-Kari-Potiskum-Damaturu-Maiduguru, Aba-Ikot Ekpene-Calabar, Calabar-Ugep-Ikom-Katsina Ala, Enugu-Otukpo-Makurdi, etc, etc have remained largely as they were eight years ago or have deteriorated further. I need not list seriatim all the federal roads that have taken a turn for the worse under Obasanjo. The question is: why should people in these areas, covering all the zones of Nigeria vote for the PDP? On account of road accidents alone Nigerians have lost nothing less than N2 trillion in properties in the eight years and over 500,000 lives. Is this what government was voted to do?

Number six: “We will improve the health service delivery in our hospitals and upgrade teaching hospitals to research centres so that our people will not have to go abroad for treatment any more”, said candidate Obasanjo in 1999. Last month, in rapid succession, Governor Yar’Adua, the PDP’s presidential candidate and Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, who for seven and half years was the PDP vice president, were flown out of the country for treatment. Again right in front of our eyes, victims of airplane disasters have been flown abroad for treatment because even the best of our government hospitals are still not good enough. Lest we forget, the late wife of the president died in a hospital abroad for undisclosed reasons. Surely, no healthy person goes to a hospital abroad to die? If the high and mighty in government find our hospitals unacceptable, one can only imagine what would have been the experience of the masses.

Now we turn to corruption, which, Obasanjo promised to fight to a standstill in 1999. How has the battle been waged? What has been achieved? What has been left undone? Surprisingly, there has been more cover-up of corruption than exposure of it. To those who still refuse to accept that this government has condoned corruption as much as Abacha’s government, the following should be convincing enough. For the rest of us, they should constitute the next set of reasons why the PDP candidate must be rejected.

Number seven, Dr Makanjuola, a permanent secretary in the Federal Government was indicted for “misapplying” N400 million shortly after Obasanjo took over. First he was removed from office; then Obasanjo publicly ordered that he should be prosecuted. Everyone thought that was the beginning of the new anti-corruption drive. But, soon things took a different turn when it became clear that the man is an in-law. Today nobody knows how the case ended. Very quietly, the government has buried it.

Before I go today, let me tell you in advance the main reason why we must push this government out. The accounts of the NNPC as well as the Ministries of Petroleum, Communications, Steel, Finance and Transport among others have not been audited since 1999. Together these agencies of government have generated close to N8 trillion which have not been fully accounted for by this government. The PTDF scam is child’s play compared to the real scandal which another PDP government will certainly cover up if it is elected. If you want Nigeria to be great again, elect a government that will recover our money. Any party but PDP will do for now. Let’s stop feeling the lash from the follies of the political “masters” who imposed Obasanjo on us by refusing his own imposition of Yar’Ardua for his selfish purposes.
Courtesy of Frankly Speaking - Idowu Shobowale of Vanguard Newspapers

Add all of the above to the mess that is going on in the name of election, and you cannot but agree that OBJ is failure personified.
Re: President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? by GNature(m): 4:40am On Apr 18, 2007
@abeem

Dem no teach you how to summarize for school ?  Oga, this your essay kindaa long.
Re: President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? by Abeem(m): 4:52am On Apr 18, 2007
GNature:

@abeem

Dem no teach you how to summarize for school ? Oga, this your essay kindaa long.

You must be intellectually lazy. The taste of the pudding is in the eating. Read the essay and capture the essence of the article. It is not compulsory that you must read it; other will if you won't.
Re: President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? by kliverpool(m): 7:27am On Apr 18, 2007
i have not seen anything good this old man has done for our country.
1)How many country have crude oil and buy finished product.
2)Ajaokuta is till not working(do u know the number of people that can gain employment from that project)
3)what happen to the money recovered from Abacha)
4)EFCC started well but now we all know the story
5)sky rocketing promotion of Ribadu(what will happen to his mate)
6)PTDF(otunba Fashawe how many people like him we do not know)
7)Railway(why wait till 7 yrs b4 doing anything they just want to sigh contract b4 going that project is scam)
coolEducation he increase school fees in Universities,accommodation fees too
9)UBE another means of chopping money,public schools still don't have roofs,not to talk of books
10)changing of currency, the new N20 is ok,quality of the new N5,10,50 worse than the old once.
11)cassava initiative. how to make money from exporting this product,at the expense of local consumer.
12)travelling all over the world with nothing to show for it(apart from British American tobacco company that some other country are sending away)
i don taya the list is endless .I pray he pay for his did someday
Re: President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? by tomakint: 2:48pm On Dec 20, 2014
This thread should be an eye-opener to those who think Obasanjo is the best thing that happened to Nigeria since slice bread!
Re: President Obasanjo's Tenure: A Complete Failure? by ahaika23: 3:43pm On Dec 20, 2014
tomakint:
This thread should be an eye-opener to those who think Obasanjo is the best thing that happened to Nigeria since slice bread!
YEA, AND IN THIS DEATH SITUATION, NO ANIMAL CAME OUT SCREAMING 'CHANGE'. NOW WHEN THERE IS OBVIOUSLY A CHANGE FROM THE NORM, WHEN THERE IS ACTUAL GOVERNANCE, WHEN PEOPLE CAN REALLY SEE WHAT ACHIEVEMENTS ARE BEING MADE, THE ANIMALS START SCREAMING THEIR HEADS OFF.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland / Kobojunkie Is The Most Popular Nairalander / Jonathan Is Igbo And Not Ijaw, He Is From Otu Eke (eke Village) Otu=village

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.