Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,716 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:19 PM

10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria (46102 Views)

Growing Crops in Sacks - / Strange Insects Attack Crops In Kano - Farmers Cry Out, As Food Shortage Looms / Self-Driving Tractors & Drone Plant & Harvest Crops In UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by moses93(m): 1:06pm On Nov 25, 2018
warrenweste:
People are ready to go back to farming if only the killer herdsmen will stop their madness
that's very true, especially in my own part of the country, Kogi state. I'm here dying of hunger in school as if we don't farm in my village, all because of herdsman's killing.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by okoroemeka(m): 1:08pm On Nov 25, 2018
SUNDAYBET01:
DON'T BE LEFT OUT
NOBODY IS BORN TO BE A FAILURE IN LIFE
YOU CAN MAKE IT TOO
FOR YOU TO BE RICH OR POOR IS IN YOUR HANDS
HARD WORK CAN'T MAKE YOU RICH
WORK SMART
haaaaahaaaa!!!hustle must go on from any angle,there must be division of labour.
Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by UrVillagePpl: 1:10pm On Nov 25, 2018
maxipharo:
God bless your hustle bro...All farmers will be rich

Nigeria rank among the top 10 countries yet we hv ntin to account for... naija is a blessed country.

I wish our next president will begin to see Nigeria beyond oil sale. there's more to Nigeria than wat we r seeing.. we dserv better
a young vibrant leader is wat we need. sm1 who can move on d same pace which da world is moving right nw.

not sm1 who will cm and do da same tin in anoda dimension...
God bless NIGERIA

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by okoroemeka(m): 1:16pm On Nov 25, 2018
dingbang:
why sweat to get money when you can make twice that money in one night? That's what youths see nowadays.
yes quite disheartening that is why human parts are sold like goat meat,pants are sold for rituals,little kids are sacrificed to gods,kidnapping, robbery, love scam,there is no morality anymore, if u send money to a business man in china he will send your goods,but let them send money to Nigeria that person receiving the money will go and celebrate that maga don pay.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by linnyx: 1:17pm On Nov 25, 2018
Ugosample:

interesting perspective I tell you

I would have loved to invest some money in the distribution angle for agruc produce

But just as I found out, like everything in Nigeria, that sector is highly "mafialized"

Nigeria my country undecided

The surest way to make millions in Nigeria today is via agric

But then, so many factors will be against you

But if you overcome, the sky is your limit

There are ways to boycott the mafias. It's just that we are not ready.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by dingbang(m): 1:20pm On Nov 25, 2018
okoroemeka:
yes quite disheartening that is why human parts are sold like goat meat,pants are sold for rituals,little kids are sacrificed to gods,kidnapping, robbery, love scam,there is no morality anymore, if u send money to a business man in china he will send your goods,but let them send money to Nigeria that person receiving the money will go and celebrate that maga don pay.
that's true. The reason why foreign investors are so skeptical in investing in Nigeria because they have zero trust in us. We really have a great market in Nigeria but we are just the hindrance to growth.
Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by winj3: 1:25pm On Nov 25, 2018
Lack of commonsense, illiteracy and zero global awareness means many Africans continue to write the same rubbish their ancestors wrote about food. They never learn new things. White farmers in the continent of Africa are growing crops like tobacco with globally demand, black Africans are still promoting cocoa and cassava that their primitive ancestors lived on.

Bamboo can make bio-fuel, and it can grow in Sub-Saharan Africa not just Asia.

Some of the most expensive cash crops in the world (with very little investment) are Herbs and spices like Ginseng, Saffron, Mahlab, Black cumin, Kaffir lime leaves, Cardamom. Many Whites and Asians are growing it all over Africa while their African neighbors are growing cassava.

Mushrooms - The cost and demand locally and globally is alarming

soybeans - This can make you rich beyond your dreams

wheat - Should I say more

Potatoes (Irish potatoes) - use the land for yam and sweet potato to grow it instead, more demand than sweet potato and yam, easy to preserve and export.

tobacco leaves - This is one of the cash crops white apartheid South Africans use to make billions while the blacks are busy attacking other blacks.

coffee - mumu Africans think it can only grow in South America

Palm oil - (when stupid Nigerians were planting cassava and guguru, Malaysia and other countries used it to make their emerging economies)

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by eagleeye2: 1:27pm On Nov 25, 2018
My own farming na Subsistent farming. Na only me and my family dey consume wetin we dey produce. grin The extras we give to friends and neighbors.
Can't remember the last time I bought Garri in the market and as i am typing I get a head of plantain for my boot and will harvest more next week.
If we no eat, wetin we gain

6 Likes

Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by eagleeye2: 1:30pm On Nov 25, 2018
Abia state should be on that list for Palm produce, and cashew.
Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by eagleeye2: 1:35pm On Nov 25, 2018
winj3:
Lack of commonsense, illiteracy and zero global awareness means many Africans continue to write the same rubbish their ancestors wrote about food. They never learn new things. White farmers in the continent of Africa are growing crops like tobacco with globally demand, black Africans are still promoting cocoa and cassava that their primitive ancestors lived on.

Some of the most expensive cash crops in the world (with very little investment) are Herbs and spices like Ginseng, Saffron, Mahlab, Black cumin, Kaffir lime leaves, Cardamom. Many Whites and Asians are growing it all over Africa while their African neighbors are growing cassava.

Potatoes (Irish potatoes) - use the land for yam and sweet potato to grow it instead, more demand than sweet potato and yam, easy to preserve and export.

tobacco leaves - This is one of the cash crops white apartheid South Africans use to make billions while the blacks are busy attacking other blacks.

Palm oil - (when stupid Nigerians were planting cassava and guguru, Malaysia and other countries used it to make their emerging economies)
Your post make sense. But a lot of cussing makes it hard to digest. Tone it down.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by Ugosample(m): 1:39pm On Nov 25, 2018
linnyx:

Trust me
I tried
But the sabotage undecided

I learnt a whole lot tho
Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by Sunnyogbor: 1:41pm On Nov 25, 2018
coolBenue state is also one of the state that farm cassava in large quantity...
Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by Ugosample(m): 1:44pm On Nov 25, 2018
winj3:

you have said it all
Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by Xabbith27(m): 1:54pm On Nov 25, 2018
[/color]
maxipharo:
Nigeria is quite blessed with a lot of cash crops that are either used as a means of foreign exchange (exported) or consumed locally.
It is no dough that Nigerian is a blessed country, having up to hundreds of cash crops that can be used to develop the country if well managed.
Nigeria is always ranking at the 1th to 10th position in cash crops production in the whole word.
Despite our lost of focus in Agriculture, Nigeria is still seen among the first 10 in the list, this means it will be very easy to pick up and rank number one in all aspect of agriculture.
To start any Cash Crop farming in Nigeria, It is required that you consider some factors that will determine the success of the farming.
Factors To Consider Before Farming Any Cash Crop.

Variety:
Most crops have a lot of varieties that has different maturity periods, climate acceptability and so many other factors that will either affect the yield of the crop or its market potentials.

Climate:
Not all farm product grow well in every location, this is because the climate requirement of every crop differs. Some crops like groundnuts, tobacco can withstand high temperature but not ever crop can.

Profit potentials:
If you are picking a cash crop you should run a background check on the profit potentials of that crop. Not all crops are profitable in all location.
Below Are The 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria.

Cocoa:
Nigeria is the 4th largest producing country of cocoa product in Africa and it is the 3rd largest Africa exporter of the crop.
Cocoa beans seed contains a lot of fats which are used to produce cocoa butter that are turned into chocolates that are converted through grounding to produce beverages.
Edo, Osun, Oyo, Ondo are some of the producing states of cocoa In Nigeria.

Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria

Coffee: Coffee as a Cash crop has two widely grown species which are Arabica and Robusta. The coffee Arabica is a beverage crop that is originated from Africa. States like Bauchi, Kwara, and Osun are good cultivators of Coffee crop in Nigeria.

Oil Palm Production:
Nigeria is one of the most producing countries of the oil palm farm product. Oil palm grows in abundance in that tropical area but can also do well in a high climate condition that has abundance of rainfall as well.
Oil palm is one of the most profitable cash crop because all the parts has various areas of application (uses). Though it requires patient to grow oil palm because it takes over 3 years for the crop to get to maturity and starts bringing fruits.
Oil palm is grown in places like, Delte, Cross rivers, Edo, Bayalsa, Ogun State and some others.

Kola nut:
Kolanut also known as cola is gotten from kola tree which is cultivated in tropical rainforests of Africa like Nigeria. Kolanut has a major part to play in our country tradition. Despite the fact that Nigeria is ranked as the number one in the production of kolanut, we only export 10% to other countries. Ogun, Kwara, and Osun States are widely produces of kolanut in Nigeria.

Groundnut:

Groundnut has a botanical name of Arachis Hypogaea, Groundnut is sometimes referred to as pea nut by most people.
The crop groundnut is regarded as a profitable cash crop because their entire products are useful and it is one of the major sources of edible oil in the world. Groundnut is grown in places like Kano, Kaduna, Adamawa, Bauchi.

Cashew:
Cashew farming is very productive type of farming that produces two product at a time the Cashew Apple and the Cashew Nut. The crop is widely consumed and it is grown in places like Imo, Enugu, Abuja, Niger and kwara.
The cashew nut are package and are exported to other countries, the cashew apple are used to make cashew juice or drinks.

Cotton:
Cotton is soft in texture and fluffy in nature, It falls under the family of Gossypium crops. Cotton are grown in the Northern and the Southern part of the country in places like Kwara, Sokoto, Zamfara, Oyo, Ondo and many others State.
Cotton Crop used to be one of our major sources of foreign exchange as it was yielding good revenue for the country then through exportation. It has now give way for oil since the management required for it has been transferred to oil.
Notwithstanding, A lot of farmers in Nigeria still cultivate and produce Cotton in both small and medium scale. With this, cotton still maintains a position as one of the most profitable cash crops in Nigeria.

Cassava:
Nigeria is rated as the largest exporter of cassava in the whole of Western African. The main cassava producing state in Nigeria are Taraba, Delta, Imo, Kogi, Anambra, Kogi, Enugu, Ondo.

Tobacco:
Tobacco is widely cultivated in some states in Nigeria like Osun, Sokoto, Kwara and Oyo State. The crop requires high temperature to yield well.

Rubber:
Nigeria and West African has been know for the production of rubber. Rubber is harvested as a liquid called latex from the para rubber tree. The latex is gotten from the tree through an opening on the bark of the tree that is made by cutting of the tree.
The harvest is done mainly in the morning and in the evening. The collected latex are processed into dry forms so as to be able to market them. It has be proven that rubber tree can produce for over 3 years if it is well taken care of and handled.[color=#990000]
http://www.agricincome.com/the-10-most-profitable-cash-crops-in-nigeria/

It has be proven that rubber tree can produce for over 3 0 not 3years if it is well taken care of and handled.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by toscolee(m): 1:57pm On Nov 25, 2018
So Benue state is not a major producer of any of the above? Not even groundnut o.....issorite

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by skales67(m): 2:06pm On Nov 25, 2018
So Southwest states grow most of these crops and yet depends heavily on FG allocations and yet they are economically backward but still have the effontery to berate the South East who are self reliant? Yeye dey smell!!
Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by Ugosample(m): 2:12pm On Nov 25, 2018
okoroemeka:

true that
Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by Finero1(m): 2:32pm On Nov 25, 2018
my farm my pride............................
Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by ideaflavour: 2:34pm On Nov 25, 2018
Hello everyone!

You might experience business failure in Nigeria if you make these terrible errors most people make. Are you planning to start a new business? Or you have one? You see, 80% of businesses crash due to these factors.*
In fact,......

https://www.ideaflavour.com/business-failure-nigeria/
Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by dekins: 2:47pm On Nov 25, 2018
Generally, agriculture in Nigeria is profitable especially when you have access to market i.e local and international agricultural buyers directly or through agricultural marketplace.
Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by buchilino(m): 2:56pm On Nov 25, 2018
IN MY PERSONAL OPINION, PALM OIL IS D BEST
Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by akaahs(m): 3:07pm On Nov 25, 2018
Because ginger isn't found in ur area that makes not to make ur list abi
Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by Ezebohirepurcha(m): 4:17pm On Nov 25, 2018
Do you know any person/persons growing coffee. I need their contact. Mine is 07067916243
Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by Ghedo99(m): 4:43pm On Nov 25, 2018
okoroemeka:
I think the population of Nigeria has grown so much that the demand for food produce is more than supply,every farm produce is now a cash crop,imagine a sugar bag of fresh pepper is #17,000 in Enugu,who knows what the price will look like in portharcourt,calabar,yenogoa.the current youth now look at farmers with the same stereotype as our grandfather's and with betnaija,yahoo +,rituals,travelling nobody wants to sweat to make money,but I am a farmer and I like it and I will never go on strike.
hw Dat One Take Concern Me
Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by GoldHorse(m): 7:04pm On Nov 25, 2018
Rubber:
Nigeria and West African has been know for the production of rubber. Rubber is harvested as a liquid called latex from the para rubber tree. The latex is gotten from the tree through an opening on the bark of the tree that is made by cutting of the tree.
The harvest is done mainly in the morning and in the evening. The collected latex are processed into dry forms so as to be able to market them. It has be proven that rubber tree can produce for over 3 years if it is well taken care of and handled

@ the bolded must be a mistake. Rubber trees are capable of producing for over 50 years profitability for that matter.
Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by linnyx: 8:08pm On Nov 25, 2018
Ugosample:

Trust me

I tried

But the sabotage undecided

I learnt a whole lot tho

Hmm. Then what is the way forward in this country
Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by somehow: 8:39pm On Nov 25, 2018
Excuses are for paupers
warrenweste:
People are ready to go back to farming if only the killer herdsmen will stop their madness

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by imhere: 9:18pm On Nov 25, 2018
Agriculture no doubt is what can sustain a nation and also boost its economy, take for instance Egypt and Israel.The number one thing that will make you richer and keep you wealthy in this present time is farming business. There are many money-making opportunities in Agriculture. Take a look at the richest man in Africa, Dangote he has now diversify into farming, very soon he will be the number one producer of rice in Africa.,

Crop production is more cost-effective than livestock.  Don’t overlook any crop because the smallest plant like waterleaf is fattening some people's account especially in dry season vegetable farming. In-depth knowledge of how to manage your farm and package your product is the way forward. 
https://www.enibest.com.ng/all-posts/agriculture/farming-business/
Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by AlphaSoul: 4:34am On Jul 01, 2021
maxipharo:
Nigeria is quite blessed with a lot of cash crops that are either used as a means of foreign exchange (exported) or consumed locally.
It is no dough that Nigerian is a blessed country, having up to hundreds of cash crops that can be used to develop the country if well managed.
Nigeria is always ranking at the 1th to 10th position in cash crops production in the whole word.
Despite our lost of focus in Agriculture, Nigeria is still seen among the first 10 in the list, this means it will be very easy to pick up and rank number one in all aspect of agriculture.
To start any Cash Crop farming in Nigeria, It is required that you consider some factors that will determine the success of the farming.
Factors To Consider Before Farming Any Cash Crop.

Variety:
Most crops have a lot of varieties that has different maturity periods, climate acceptability and so many other factors that will either affect the yield of the crop or its market potentials.

Climate:
Not all farm product grow well in every location, this is because the climate requirement of every crop differs. Some crops like groundnuts, tobacco can withstand high temperature but not ever crop can.

Profit potentials:
If you are picking a cash crop you should run a background check on the profit potentials of that crop. Not all crops are profitable in all location.
Below Are The 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria.

Cocoa:
Nigeria is the 4th largest producing country of cocoa product in Africa and it is the 3rd largest Africa exporter of the crop.
Cocoa beans seed contains a lot of fats which are used to produce cocoa butter that are turned into chocolates that are converted through grounding to produce beverages.
Edo, Osun, Oyo, Ondo are some of the producing states of cocoa In Nigeria.

Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria

Coffee: Coffee as a Cash crop has two widely grown species which are Arabica and Robusta. The coffee Arabica is a beverage crop that is originated from Africa. States like Bauchi, Kwara, and Osun are good cultivators of Coffee crop in Nigeria.

Oil Palm Production:
Nigeria is one of the most producing countries of the oil palm farm product. Oil palm grows in abundance in that tropical area but can also do well in a high climate condition that has abundance of rainfall as well.
Oil palm is one of the most profitable cash crop because all the parts has various areas of application (uses). Though it requires patient to grow oil palm because it takes over 3 years for the crop to get to maturity and starts bringing fruits.
Oil palm is grown in places like, Delte, Cross rivers, Edo, Bayalsa, Ogun State and some others.

Kola nut:
Kolanut also known as cola is gotten from kola tree which is cultivated in tropical rainforests of Africa like Nigeria. Kolanut has a major part to play in our country tradition. Despite the fact that Nigeria is ranked as the number one in the production of kolanut, we only export 10% to other countries. Ogun, Kwara, and Osun States are widely produces of kolanut in Nigeria.

Groundnut:

Groundnut has a botanical name of Arachis Hypogaea, Groundnut is sometimes referred to as pea nut by most people.
The crop groundnut is regarded as a profitable cash crop because their entire products are useful and it is one of the major sources of edible oil in the world. Groundnut is grown in places like Kano, Kaduna, Adamawa, Bauchi.

Cashew:
Cashew farming is very productive type of farming that produces two product at a time the Cashew Apple and the Cashew Nut. The crop is widely consumed and it is grown in places like Imo, Enugu, Abuja, Niger and kwara.
The cashew nut are package and are exported to other countries, the cashew apple are used to make cashew juice or drinks.

Cotton:
Cotton is soft in texture and fluffy in nature, It falls under the family of Gossypium crops. Cotton are grown in the Northern and the Southern part of the country in places like Kwara, Sokoto, Zamfara, Oyo, Ondo and many others State.
Cotton Crop used to be one of our major sources of foreign exchange as it was yielding good revenue for the country then through exportation. It has now give way for oil since the management required for it has been transferred to oil.
Notwithstanding, A lot of farmers in Nigeria still cultivate and produce Cotton in both small and medium scale. With this, cotton still maintains a position as one of the most profitable cash crops in Nigeria.

Cassava:
Nigeria is rated as the largest exporter of cassava in the whole of Western African. The main cassava producing state in Nigeria are Taraba, Delta, Imo, Kogi, Anambra, Kogi, Enugu, Ondo.

Tobacco:
Tobacco is widely cultivated in some states in Nigeria like Osun, Sokoto, Kwara and Oyo State. The crop requires high temperature to yield well.

Rubber:
The harvest is done mainly in the morning and in the evening. The collected latex are processed into dry forms so as to be able to market them. It has be proven that rubber tree can produce for over 3 years if it is well taken care of and handled.
http://www.agricincome.com/the-10-most-profitable-cash-crops-in-nigeria/
Word!
Re: 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria by Theophinio(m): 11:20am On Jun 02, 2022
linnyx:

Exactly � boss

Once you made up your mind to push through, you must surely succeed in it

Agro trading made me a multi millionaire in just 8 months

No other sector comes close to it

Even the self acclaimed mighty REAL ESTATE

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Eggs Crate/carton Are Available In Large Quantities At Very Cheap Price / Nigerian Man In USA Harvests Okro From His Farm, Advises Nigerians (Pics) / Agricultural Products BUYERS And SELLERS Contact DETAILS Nation-wide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.