Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,901 members, 7,802,919 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:17 AM

Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy (34483 Views)

Japa: Nigerians Lament As Canada Suspends Visa Operations In Abuja / Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament / Snakes Invade Flooded Homes Of Villagers In Bayelsa As Residents Lament. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by planetx: 4:19pm On Nov 26, 2018
gypsey:
yea! Right! i have been denied an American visa before even though i hold a British passport.

It's not that simple, Europeans are denied visa all the time, maybe not as Much as Nigerians.

And which passport will you use to Apply for a US visa from Europe, Nigerian passport? or the passport that says you are not born in Nigeria?
I thought a British passport enables you to travel to the US Visa free for 90 days under the Visa waiver program or has that changed.
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by planetx: 4:21pm On Nov 26, 2018
Abbeybailey:
If you truly own a British Passport, you do not need a visa to US if your visit is less than 90 days. I have been to Britain numerous times and I never applied for a visa because i carry an American Passport.
Lol I wrote my comment before seeing yours, don't know what that dude was talking about.
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by iswallker(m): 4:49pm On Nov 26, 2018
Abbeybailey:
If you truly own a British Passport, you do not need a visa to US if your visit is less than 90 days. I have been to Britain numerous times and I never applied for a visa because i carry an American Passport.

Busted!!!
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Nobody: 4:54pm On Nov 26, 2018
planetx:
I thought a British passport enables you to travel to the US Visa free for 90 days under the Visa waiver program or has that changed.
No! it hasn't I was refused as a reuslt of my record, (Criminal) grin

I didn't wanna disclose that but there you have it!. tongue
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Nobody: 4:56pm On Nov 26, 2018
Abbeybailey:
you are correct, i was refused entry because i had a criminal record. tongue
Now you know! tongue
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Nobody: 4:58pm On Nov 26, 2018
iswallker:

Busted!!!
what an ignorant conclusions, wouldn't you like to ask to know more before concluding? cheesy
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Nostradamus: 4:58pm On Nov 26, 2018
Greatpooss:
I blame our leaders for this.
nigerians are always quick to blame their leaders but in reality,the problem of naija is the leaders and the actual citizens.nigerians are ethically and morally bad.it has got so bad that we don't even trust one another,we are always suspicious of ourselves.since we can't trust ourselves,why should foreigners who worked very hard to develop their country(and who have been victims of our criminal nature on several occasions) trust us??we should work on ourselves and stop blaming the yankees for trying to protect their citizens from us.i just hope we will change our criminal way before other countries too stop issuing visa to us.no sane government will allow people with criminal tendencies into their country.

3 Likes

Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by AntiNigerian: 5:04pm On Nov 26, 2018
dochenaj:

But America does have more oil than Nigeria and I'm surprised you didn't know that but know such highfalutin statistics.
America has oil but doesn't depend on it
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by creamylicious(f): 5:18pm On Nov 26, 2018
domaintraderng:

If it is not your personal money, then face Canada or Norway. If you have liver you can try Dublin- but that one is not too sure for now.
Hmmmmmmmmm, I need serious education on this stuff. It is not my personal money I am using. But I don't have any family in Canada or norway
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by iswallker(m): 5:29pm On Nov 26, 2018
gypsey:
what an ignorant conclusions, wouldn't you like to ask to know more before concluding? cheesy

They ran you through a database and saw you had a record or what? So you were turned back at the port of entry or what? So you had this record in the us or uk or what?

still busted if you ask me... grin because you knew yours was an unusual case and you went on to pretend you applied for visa and was denied.
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by sweetilicious(f): 5:37pm On Nov 26, 2018
jeffizy:
Lengthy but informative and good read.

I blame Us. I mean we Nigerians. Quality education abound worldwide, not limited to USA alone.
That's why am looking at Australia
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by dometome: 5:38pm On Nov 26, 2018
domaintraderng:

Gabonese prefer to try to relocate to France. Even people from Swaziland get 10 year visa to America these days.
But in Nigeria they milk people dry
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Nobody: 5:43pm On Nov 26, 2018
iswallker:

They ran you through a database and saw you had a record or what? So you were turned back at the port of entry or what? So you had this record in the us or uk or what?

still busted if you ask me... grin because you knew yours was an unusual case and you went on to pretend you applied for visa and was denied.
Exactly! there you have it!, clever detective Columbo! I had a criminal record, cheesy
I didn't think people like you would turn to detectives on me.

Yes! i was busted! Are you happy now? tongue better keep your wallet close to you or...

1 Like

Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Abbeybailey(m): 6:22pm On Nov 26, 2018
gypsey:
you are correct, i was refused entry because i had a criminal record. tongue
Now you know! tongue
That's Absolutely possible. I have an American friend that I grew up with and he couldn't travel to Canada because of his criminal record. The funny thing about him is that he lives in Detroit, Michigan which is a thrown stone away from Canada.

1 Like

Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by SIRTee15: 6:22pm On Nov 26, 2018
Schwartz:
of course not! I was there. Even the guys that you meet to get your baggage behind immigration, they were saying the same thing. They were wondering how they will cope.

They don't stay back....
Moreover, hey actually study n pay their tuition in full...
Unlike Africans that abandon their studies half way n look for means to stay put in usa.....
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by dochenaj: 6:48pm On Nov 26, 2018
Jamesayo:
Anybody can start a new thing, but not anybody can sustain things, which is what differentiate these developed from us.
I isolated the following section of your post because I disagree. While I could understand why you could make such a conclusion but the truth is that, sustainability is not a work that should be done by people but rather by systems. Nigeria unfortunately have put the cart before the horse and every effort is geared towards getting qualified people (genuises) but if we can devote energy into building systems that work, any average individual can manage it, because there is a protocol, a system of how things must and should be run. That is why till tomorrow I'll miss Late President Umaru Musa Yaradua the only Nigerian president that was intelligent enough to know what Nigeria needed.
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Beautyaddy: 6:51pm On Nov 26, 2018
Funny Thread.

Believe it of or not the US embassy is one of the if not the most generous of all the advanced countries that is still very generous with their visas approvals regardless of the country.

Doubt it, go ask the US-Canadian border officers. A lot and I mean a lot of foreigners from other countries and not just Nigerians have gone across the US-Canadian borders seeking desperately for asylum in Canada when they already know that their asylum claim in the US will not be approved or will take forever and forever and still not be granted.

1 Like

Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by dochenaj: 6:54pm On Nov 26, 2018
AntiNigerian:
America has oil but doesn't depend on it
This your statement is funny. Maybe you should revise it to "...doesn't depend only on it", emphasis on "ONLY". Cos when you say they don't depend on it, it sounds like they don't even drill and produce the oil and that is exactly what your earlier post I commented on was trying to portray.

2 Likes

Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by dochenaj: 6:59pm On Nov 26, 2018
gypsey:
It wasn't an ignorant conclusion because your choice of words were misleading, "being denied visa" and "being denied at the port of entry" are two different things; the latter though there is "visa on arrival" is never viewed generally as being denied visa.
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by litaninja(m): 7:08pm On Nov 26, 2018
F-ing stop applying there naaaaaaaa......How about that
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by dochenaj: 7:19pm On Nov 26, 2018
texazzpete:
Most of these people giving stories are being economical with the truth. Many show bank statements that have been suspiciously 'beefed up' a week to the interview. Some provide canned answers that clearly indicate coaching from professional visa agents. Just take a look at the suspiciously high number of people In the article that are going for a six week flight program. That just seems fishy, and you can bet the Visa officer has probably seen 500 Nigerians in the past month claim that they're interested in flying.

Then there's the lady that flew from lagos to Abuja to apply. Even with her admission date looming, she waited weeks for the Abuja visa office to open. That just signals that she's deliberately targeting a visa officer that she hasn't seen before.

That's not to say the US embassy don't have their own issues. The whole process is subjective and can be really unfair...especially when you're rejected with no explanation. But all the times I've been to the US embassy for visa application, some of the answers I've overheard from Nigerian applicants have been pretty bizarre and nonsensical.
You sound like you're a US embassy customer, tell us your story.
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Nobody: 7:29pm On Nov 26, 2018
Abbeybailey:
That's Absolutely possible. I have an American friend that I grew up with and he couldn't travel to Canada because of his criminal record. The funny thing about him is that he lives in Detroit, Michigan which is a thrown stone away from Canada.
it Appears unfair but it is their Rules. My record was just a simple "Offence" i commited while under Influence, or So i thought.
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Nobody: 7:33pm On Nov 26, 2018
dochenaj:

It wasn't an ignorant conclusion because your choice of words were misleading, "being denied visa" and "being denied at the port of entry" are two different things; the latter though there is "visa on arrival" is never viewed generally as being denied visa.
point taken, grin you may be right

Although My comments Earlier was just to Indicate that Anyone can be denied visa or refused Entry, Even folks in my position.
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by domaintraderng: 7:35pm On Nov 26, 2018
creamylicious:
Hmmmmmmmmm, I need serious education on this stuff. It is not my personal money I am using. But I don't have any family in Canada or norway

That makes it tougher. Family are good for backup and soft landing but unless these are core family members they might not back you up to that extent.

Also, once you reach Canada you can always get American visa so that you can face America if things get tough.

Do your research Sha.
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by texazzpete(m): 7:40pm On Nov 26, 2018
dochenaj:

You sound like you're a US embassy customer, tell us your story.

Oh, it's a short and boring story.
I show up and get my visa.

You?

1 Like

Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by miqos02(m): 7:50pm On Nov 26, 2018
domaintraderng:

If you have liver you can try Dublin- but that one is not too sure for now.
why boss?
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by domaintraderng: 7:53pm On Nov 26, 2018
miqos02:
why boss?

Not too much chance to be hustling in Dublin as at now. The only good thing about the area is that you can enter there, then connect to Belfast in Northern Ireland and use that one to connect to London since they do t have checkpoint at that border.

School there is not that expensice but if you are a hustler it is tight there o
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by miqos02(m): 8:00pm On Nov 26, 2018
domaintraderng:

Not too much chance to be hustling in Dublin as at now. The only good thing about the area is that you can enter there, then connect to Belfast in Northern Ireland and use that one to connect to London since they do t have checkpoint at that border.

School there is not that expensice but if you are a hustler it is tight there o
how easy is tourist visa and cost of living. #holidaythings.

I also read in their form that says a visitor is not allowed to go to the north without valid visa for such
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Abbeybailey(m): 8:05pm On Nov 26, 2018
gypsey:
it Appears unfair but it is their Rules. My record was just a simple "Offence" i commited while under Influence, or So i thought.
Like You rightly said, it's their rule and anyone who wants to come in have to abide by their rules.
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by domaintraderng: 8:08pm On Nov 26, 2018
miqos02:
how easy is tourist visa and cost of living. #holidaythings.

I also read in their form that says a visitor is not allowed to go to the north without valid visa for such

It is not allowed but they don't operate actual border post so they don't check passport. If they nap you you are in soup but trust boys. They go now and then.

As for tourist visa it is quite easy to get. No wahala from them but your bank statement must be complete. It isn't like US that you can just enter with no documents and they might give you.

These ones check especially since it is an EU country. If you have traveled abroad before then it is sure. As for holidays expenses it is not that expensive unless you like to really explore. Travel cost can be on the high side so if you want to hit the majority of the counties in the Republic then you will spend.

If you decide to go to a more rural area and explore the countryside, then it will be very cheap. The only issue is that those rural areas don't really have African food stores like that so you'll be eating corned beef and baked beans anyhow LOL
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Moshlaw(m): 8:46pm On Nov 26, 2018
Imagine if we have a better country where everything is working, what will be our business going to US.? Why is with that these people don't come here to study?

Exploiting us in our own land is a colossal shame. I never blame them an inch, its our fault.

We need to stand up!
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Nobody: 8:48pm On Nov 26, 2018
Abbeybailey:
Like You rightly said, it's their rule and anyone who wants to come in have to abide by their rules.
I Agree Totally!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

New Photos Of Eko-pearl In Eko-atlantic. / Christmas: Train In High Demand In Nigeria (Pictures) / Don’t Open Your Car Trunk From Inside For Police Or Anyone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.