Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,864 members, 7,802,771 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:16 PM

Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy (34481 Views)

Japa: Nigerians Lament As Canada Suspends Visa Operations In Abuja / Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament / Snakes Invade Flooded Homes Of Villagers In Bayelsa As Residents Lament. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Beautyaddy: 9:33pm On Nov 26, 2018
Moshlaw:
Imagine if we have a better country where everything is working, what will be our business going to US.? Why is with that these people don't come here to study?

Exploiting us in our own land is a colossal shame. I never blame them an inch, its our fault.

We need to stand up!

Better countries that is waay better than the US still go to the US for visiting or study but the only difference is that the chances of them abusing the terms of their visa is very low unlike with Nigerians.
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by dochenaj: 12:11am On Nov 27, 2018
texazzpete:

Oh, it's a short and boring story.
I show up and get my visa.

You?
I'd never been there. But might be there next year.

1 Like

Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Cindy95(f): 1:27am On Nov 27, 2018
CXLVII:

Who asked for a biography?
It wasn't for you...
Kindly ignore. Thanks
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Cindy95(f): 1:29am On Nov 27, 2018
AngelicBeing:

From your narrative, the VO are thinking that you will tow the pathway of your sister by adjusting your stay and get married than returning back to Nigeria after your program, they often ask applicants what they will do after their studies and majority will lie and say that they are coming back to Nigeria and if during your interview they ask or know you have a relative in the US who obtained his or her status via adjustment, whereas he / she during her interview indicated he / she will be coming back to Nigeria after her studies, it will definitely affect all those that are related to the applicants that are planning to visit the US, everything you say during your interview is documented.

Lastly, US visa approva rate l was higher in 2016 compared to 2018, they have tightened up all the loose ends and it is becoming difficult for both genuine and fake applicants to get the visa
No one ever told me this... Thanks dear... At least I learnt something new...

1 Like

Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Cindy95(f): 1:30am On Nov 27, 2018
dochenaj:

Don't lose hope, you have an example that it could work out. So keep pushing for it.
Amen... We all go dey alright Las Las
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Cindy95(f): 1:31am On Nov 27, 2018
domaintraderng:

That was before Trump Administration took over na. Trump took over January 2017. After that time, Nigerians rushed Canada and Canada requested that the US should reduce visas to Nigerians. That is why things are tougher now.

I advise you to go for Canada for now.
Thanks dear... Also putting that into consideration though it's gonna be one helluva process
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Cindy95(f): 1:31am On Nov 27, 2018
domaintraderng:

That was before Trump Administration took over na. Trump took over January 2017. After that time, Nigerians rushed Canada and Canada requested that the US should reduce visas to Nigerians. That is why things are tougher now.

I advise you to go for Canada for now.
Thanks dear... Also putting that into consideration though it's gonna be one helluva process...
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by kaymofo(m): 2:34am On Nov 27, 2018
TyroneP:

https://punchng.com/visa-seeking-nigerian-students-lament-sad-experiences-at-us-embassy/

Thumbs up to Folarin Samson on this one, Nigeria, we are obviously sitting on gun powder, if we can take good care of our educational system in Nigeria, Nigerians won't bother travel even to Ghana to study.

Way forward please?
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by kaymofo(m): 2:36am On Nov 27, 2018
TyroneP:

https://punchng.com/visa-seeking-nigerian-students-lament-sad-experiences-at-us-embassy/

The National Bureau of Statistics said data from the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board showed that 11,703,709 applications were received between 2010 and 2016.
That makes an average of 1.6 million applications per year.
However, a report on “JAMB Admitted Candidates by State and Gender within Faculty,” released by the NBS said only 2,674,485 students were admitted across the 36 states and the FCT between 2010 and 2015.
That makes an average of 445,747 admissions per year.
In 2015 alone, only 30 per cent of students who applied were said to have been given admission, which represented the highest from 2010 to 2016.
The Registrar of JAMB, Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, in March 2018 told journalists that of the 1,840,225 candidates who applied for admission into tertiary institutions for the 2017/2018 academic session, 842,505 candidates made the required cut-off marks.
He added that of the 842,505, only 550,357 were offered admission.
The number of those given admission represents about 30 per cent of those who applied that year, leaving the remaining 70 per cent figure of 1,289,868 without admission.

This is so serious
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by domaintraderng: 4:12am On Nov 27, 2018
Cindy95:

Thanks dear... Also putting that into consideration though it's gonna be one helluva process...

Best of luck. Canada is more stressful but once you finish you get straight PR so no pressure to marry. I suggest you go for it.

1 Like

Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by miqos02(m): 5:30am On Nov 27, 2018
domaintraderng:

It is not allowed but they don't operate actual border post so they don't check passport. If they nap you you
thank u boss
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by BlackPantherCri: 6:49am On Nov 27, 2018
sodres:

Scammers? Taking one's money and refuse he/she what they pay for isn't that scam also?. Don't forget we have oil here in Nigeria USA don't!.

Sorry to burst your bubble but

1 Like

Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by AngelicBeing: 7:06am On Nov 27, 2018
Cindy95:

No one ever told me this... Thanks dear... At least I learnt something new...
If you still plan to study in the US, do not go back and tell a different story from your previous interview, they must have minuted on your file and any VO you meet again will read the previous comments on your file and will be waiting for you to tell lies and nail you further, you might need to show strong reasons why you need to study in the US or you can try other countries, the fact that your sister traveled to the US and adjusted her status via marriage might continue to be a kilimanjaro rock for you to climb in seeking a US student visa

1 Like

Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by domaintraderng: 7:38am On Nov 27, 2018
miqos02:
thank u boss

We thank God
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Nobody: 9:12am On Nov 27, 2018
Cindy95:
Then my sister is lucky, she left in 2016 at d age of 25, she was acceptedthe first time she applied... She didn't write any IELTS, she no even pay any school fees, no accommodation over der, she had less than $1000 in her account...
Yet she was granted visa to go there and run her masters in microbiology...
She got there and was favored, got married to a missisipi guy last year and she be got a baby boy this year.. She be gotten her resident permit and green card, hoping to be a certified citizen by 2021...
She is even running a second degree in nursing and additional master program in Chem.Enginerring...
I thought it was that easy cos she was favored but when I decided to run my own, the thing just dey hard me so tey I Don dey loose hope for United State...
Can't she help you?
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Nobody: 9:33am On Nov 27, 2018
What of Australia? How hard is it to get their visa? Applying for one scholarship currently
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by AntiNigerian: 10:30am On Nov 27, 2018
Spygadgets19:
What of Australia? How hard is it to get their visa? Applying for one scholarship currently
I don't know about Australia, but you can try Norway, education in Norway is free, but you'll cover your accommodation and feeding. learn Norwegian and you're good to go. Norway is issuing visas anyhow now. go to their embassies with your letter of admission , attend their interview, when you pay all the necessary fees , you're good to go! Lykke til!(Goodluck!)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Nobody: 10:57am On Nov 27, 2018
AntiNigerian:
I don't know about Australia, but you can try Norway, education in Norway is free, but you'll cover your accommodation and feeding. learn Norwegian and you're good to go. Norway is issuing visas anyhow now. go to their embassies with your letter of admission , attend their interview, when you pay all the necessary fees , you're good to go! Lykke til!(Goodluck!)
Thanks wink
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by AntiNigerian: 11:04am On Nov 27, 2018
Spygadgets19:
Thanks wink
Norway is quite expensive to live in . 5800KR per month as house rent which is about €600. although if you live with it , then fine
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by miqos02(m): 11:08am On Nov 27, 2018
domaintraderng:

We thank God
sorry boss, which is cheaper between Spain and Ireland for tourism visits?
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Cindy95(f): 11:10am On Nov 27, 2018
Spygadgets19:
Can't she help you?
She is... Na she dey ginger me see... but then she isn't d one to interview me at d embassy...
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Ugosample(m): 12:49pm On Nov 27, 2018
iswallker:

They ran you through a database and saw you had a record or what? So you were turned back at the port of entry or what? So you had this record in the us or uk or what?

still busted if you ask me... grin because you knew yours was an unusual case and you went on to pretend you applied for visa and was denied.

his story seems plausible

I hear it happens from time ti time

A British person needs ESTA to enter the USA

and they have the right to deny you entry

even though you are British

1 Like

Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by domaintraderng: 2:01pm On Nov 27, 2018
miqos02:
sorry boss, which is cheaper between Spain and Ireland for tourism visits?

That one depends on your lifestyle. For me I would say Spain if you are doing at the height of summer just because you can meet more people from other countries there.

Plenty people from Italy, Germany, UK and others so to me it is cheaper since you can interact with people from many countries for the price of one.

2 Likes

Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by business4all: 2:26pm On Nov 27, 2018
Schwartz:
I was at Point of entry in the United States just 3 months ago. I swear we werein the the queue for hours! Why because, Infront of us were Chinese students over a hundred of them yes over a hundred! All of them were holding F1 student form at immigration. Guess what?! 90% of them could not speak a word in English. It was so bad that they announced on the speaker severally that Chinese translators should come to window this and that.
I just looked at it and said so they are accepting these people because they stand to gain?! Imagine admitting people in to study who do not understand a word in the language of instruction.
The way things are going around the world it is becoming clearer and clearer that we have no other option than to fix our own country and remain in it.
The question you need to ask yourself is, how many Chinese students violate their visa after their study. They mostly go back to China to develop China. Most of them are children of rich Chinese tycoons. But that cannot be said about Nigerians. No Nigerian wants to leave the US after study.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by yhemster(m): 4:38pm On Nov 27, 2018
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by iaatmguy(m): 3:26pm On Dec 04, 2018
sodres:

Don't forget we have oil here in Nigeria USA don't!.
are you for real? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked please use google on your device, before making this type of comment again.
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Nobody: 10:33pm On Dec 04, 2018
samlake:
They know Nigerians are desperate...even if the visa fee is 1m, the money will come...

Erŕrŕ British passport holders don't need visas into the US, that's why there's ESTA
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by ttmacoy: 3:31am On Dec 05, 2018
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by ttmacoy: 3:50am On Dec 05, 2018
Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by GiantParrot(m): 5:00pm On Dec 05, 2018
gypsey:
Most of these visas Applicants Appear ignorant, they don't seem to be reading their Small prints on the rules and regulations of visa Applications.

Embassies or consulates reserves the right not to Grant visa to any individual regardless of who they may be. And they do not have to give reasons why visas are denied.

My ex wife works as an Immigration (senior supervisor) officer at the.....i am not gonna mention were. she tells me that It wouldn't matter what document or how Authententic and genuine your documents, visa Applications or how wealthy you are, they can Denie you a visa.

Infact, she said she Denied some Nigerian Individuals a visa just because they couldn't be bothered to say Good morning! to her. grin And that some of them speaks broken English rather. some of them can not even express themselves boldly and confidently Academically, even though they claim to be Academics

She also revealed that before Any Applicant even come Through the consulate's Door for an interview their visa had Aready been denied, They would just Ask them some irrelevant questions and let them blab on for few minutes before handing them the denial letter.

And that she feels guilty and pity for some of them some times but the Arrogant ones who comes in bragging about how they are well connected and wealthy always gets denial from her.

like the OP have Already asserted, if you are between 19 and 45 years old your visa will be denied especially if you have No strong ties to Nigeria like, Families, wife, husband, children, A good well paid job, A Healthy business, healthy bank balance or you are an Employer. something that would draw you back to Nigeria if or when you visit the US.

If you are 55, 65 70, 75, 80 years old your visa would likely be Granted because at these ages you have no potentials in the US or UK. No company would Employ an Old man or woman especially the ones from Africa/Nigeria, you would be a retiree at that Age anyway.

so nigerian youths should quit decieving themselves with this False trend of going to study in the US/UK, stay put in nigeria and make nigeria GREAT! ! grin

This is insightful. So much to learn here. But I have my doubts about the bolded section.

Two friends of mine got their F1 visas this July. One is 28 and the other 32. They're both single.

The 28 year old guy had a good job and a relatively healthy bank account. He has gone for an MBA. The sum of his savings and the grant he received from the university can't pay for the total cost of the MBA. Yet he got the visa. He's taking a loan from the school.

The 32 year old guy was pretty much struggling. Talented guy, but this society seemed to be very unfavourable to him. He didn't have savings to pay for his PhD program. But he received teaching assistantship offers from several universities.

Both these guys got multiple admissions, and did well on the GRE and GMAT. They, I, and the US visa officer surely knew that they are not coming back to Nigeria.

I believe the US accepts people that they perceive will be a net benefit to their economy/society in the long term (likely to offer skilled services, pay taxes, and not engage in welfare abuses). The VOs probably believe that these my friends have been well vetted by the good institutions that accepted them, so my friends will probably be useful upon graduation.

My suspicions are further buttressed by the fact that every serious minded person I have known who applied to the US consulate for a student visa over the last 10 years, have received the visa. True, anecdotal evidence is not strong evidence. But it's enough to reassure certain people who still have dreams of studying in the US.

2 Likes

Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Nobody: 6:47pm On Dec 05, 2018
GiantParrot:

This is insightful. So much to learn here. But I have my doubts about the bolded section.

Two friends of mine got their F1 visas this July. One is 28 and the other 32. They're both single.

The 28 year old guy had a good job and a relatively healthy bank account. He has gone for an MBA. The sum of his savings and the grant he received from the university can't pay for the total cost of the MBA. Yet he got the visa. He's taking a loan from the school.

The 32 year old guy was pretty much struggling. Talented guy, but this society seemed to be very unfavourable to him. He didn't have savings to pay for his PhD program. But he received teaching assistantship offers from several universities.

Both these guys got multiple admissions, and did well on the GRE and GMAT. They, I, and the US visa officer surely knew that they are not coming back to Nigeria.

I believe the US accepts people that they perceive will be a net benefit to their economy/society in the long term (likely to offer skilled services, pay taxes, and not engage in welfare abuses). The VOs probably believe that these my friends have been well vetted by the good institutions that accepted them, so my friends will probably be useful upon graduation.

My suspicions are further buttressed by the fact that every serious minded person I have known who applied to the US consulate for a student visa over the last 10 years, have received the visa. True, anecdotal evidence is not strong evidence. But it's enough to reassure certain people who still have dreams of studying in the US.

Yes, you are right, in the case of your 2 friends from the way you described them it appears they have potentials, as you have quite rightly assserted the US accepts people who would benefit them and Few of those who would be of benefit to the US neither ussually Seeks for US visa or can't not Afford to. like one of your friends

The most Applicants of US visa are ussually folks who would be a drain to their economy, Economic migrants or folks who are not really certain why they want to travel to the US ( Hustlers) hence their visa Denials.

And i didn't mean Every body within that Ages, surely there have to be some exceptions like your friends. cheesy

I Agree with your Assertions Above totally.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Visa-seeking Nigerian Students Lament Sad Experiences At US Embassy by Nobody: 11:25am On Jan 02, 2019
UrbanExotica:
my friend is doing his next week hopefully he'll have better luck than I did
Hope it went well

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Passengers On Aero Praying After Thunderstorm During A Flight To Port Harcourt. / Man, Wife, Sister Die In Bauchi Auto Crash While Returning Home After Voting / New Photos Of Eko-pearl In Eko-atlantic.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.