Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,317 members, 7,808,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:36 AM

Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 (30745 Views)

Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week / Governor Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To ₦40,000 In Edo / Babatunde Gbadamosi: No Worker In Lagos Can Live With N30,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by OsuMustGo: 5:35pm On Nov 27, 2018
GavelSlam:
South Africa population: 57 million

Nigeria Population; 197 million.
Illiteracy will kill some of you.

Did you also bother to Google the workforce ratio of the two countries?
#spits
Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by Ihaveleftnaija: 5:41pm On Nov 27, 2018
Nowenuse:

Exactly. When I tell people that tribalism is the main cause of Nigeria's problems, people think it's a lie.

Many Nigerians will support an evil doer just because he is from their tribe.
Are we going to blame the masses when same politicians use ethno-religious sentiments to win elections?

Nigeria may never know progress if not restructured.
We need to live in administrative divisions where every tribe/group of similar tribes are responsible for their own progress and welfare.

Tribalism is a serious problem in Nigeria, the disgusting part is that it's now mainly practiced by the so called educated youth . I give up.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by mofedamijo(m): 5:41pm On Nov 27, 2018
Ihaveleftnaija:

He over exaggerated. But looking at the working conditions , standard of living etc . Would you choose to come work in naija or stay there?.
Bro my concern is mostly for people to know the truth, informations like this have brought so many youths to S.A and on getting here after 4 months and no Job, they take to crime, i have seen Nigerian youths gallivanting at the Airport, thinking their lives will be changed forever when they get to s.a, at the end of the day, Crime is thier last resorts, i have had to help some of them in my own little way, imagine someone saying R100k entry level job, when they are actually hustling 1800-4000k paying jobs, as for your question Sir, am a Researcher and a freelancer, moving from place to place, the working condition can be better in s.a, but you should be ready to cough out experiences and certifications, not just thinking once you reach, R100k job dey wait you.
Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by Princedapace(m): 5:48pm On Nov 27, 2018
mofedamijo:

Thats ur problem, informations like this is why youths rush to all kinds of countries thinking they pay well, then on getting there and things aint what they re told, they take to crime...STOP MISINFORMING PEOPLE, IF U LIKE TAYA NA U SABI...

Guy leave me alone na. There is no way on earth will u compare SA to Nigeria.

In Nigeria, how many people earn at 3k per day?

How many legitimate hustle pays 2 to 3k per day. Averagely, fresh graduates in Nigeria earn between 30k to 50k per month..

He will pay a rent in a cheap place in Nigeria, a self contain goes for 120k to 200k per year. With 50k per month, he or she will be earning 600k before tax per year.

He pays cheap house rent of 150k for self con. This just a below average life bro. No one really prays for this picture. Sadly, many graduates are living like this.

From that same salary, he has family members who needs tips from him each month. That is the reality in the country. Many people divide their salary to solve one extend family problem or the other..

He pays for internet which is never enough. Average, Nigerians spend 2k per month on low internet usage. That is 24k per year.

He buys food stuff. He buys clothe, he transport. He pays for electricity and still buys fuel to generate more power. He falls sick and treat him self. He doesnt have free health care. Food items are expensive compared to his earning.

Cheap cost of living comes with extremely poor salary. Many banks pay graduate 35k per month. Telcom outsourced firms pay graduates 25k per month..

Graduates hardly flex life. They cant afford it. I dont know what ur arguments are. Some of u just like to argue.
Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by Ihaveleftnaija: 6:04pm On Nov 27, 2018
mofedamijo:

Bro my concern is mostly for people to know the truth, informations like this have brought so many youths to S.A and on getting here after 4 months and no Job, they take to crime, i have seen Nigerian youths gallivanting at the Airport, thinking their lives will be changed forever when they get to s.a, at the end of the day, Crime is thier last resorts, i have had to help some of them in my own little way, imagine someone saying R100k entry level job, when they are actually hustling 1800-4000k paying jobs, as for your question Sir, am a Researcher and a freelancer, moving from place to place, the working condition can be better in s.a, but you should be ready to cough out experiences and certifications, not just thinking once you reach, R100k job dey wait you.

Thank you brother , I appreciate that we have people like you who don't want to decieve the gullible.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by VIPERVENOM(m): 6:06pm On Nov 27, 2018
sophiathefirst:

Let me quote u again, u said
"Don't let those figures fool you. That 126k in Rand might just be the equivalent of 30k naira if u know what I mean."
Please can u explain to me, what u mean because I love to learn new things. As I did explain my own perception of what u meant.
126k in south Africa can only give u a month's rent & 1 litre of fuel. Dat same amount in Nigeria can give u A YEAR'S RENT and enough change to buy you foodstuff and fuel for a few weeks. So see where I'm going? Cost of living is what I'm talking about.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by highbeekeys(m): 6:15pm On Nov 27, 2018
The reason why we should weep badly is because there's no solution in place. The rays of hope, the smaller parties won't win. Buhari, Atiku, OBJ, jagaban.. Ain't we dead?
Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by BluntBoy(m): 6:31pm On Nov 27, 2018
jmaine:

18k is still the current minimum wage so what's your point.

Same in South Africa. The minimum wage is still the same until next year but we are already discussing it.
Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by BluntBoy(m): 6:33pm On Nov 27, 2018
Nowenuse:

No, the leaders of a country purely determine it's followers.
What will you say about a country like Nigeria where certain part posses leaders who prefer to keep their masses in stack illiteracy so that they can easily be manipulated for election advantage?

Same thing that made millions of a section of Nigerians vote a tribal and religious bigot into power and rejected the person who wanted to bring their masses out of the stack illiteracy in which their leaders had left them over the decades through almajiri schools.

How can you say leaders determine followers. Are leaders not picked out of the populace?

You are calling Buhari a tribal bigot with no proofs. I dare to say that you are the tribal bigot here.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by Nobody: 6:35pm On Nov 27, 2018
Realdeals:
Many Nigerians are slave to their leaders, they defend their oppressors. Where are the inflation criers that condemn Sowore's N100,000 living wage plan.

Sowore is promising just like the rest are doing.
Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by jmaine: 7:03pm On Nov 27, 2018
BluntBoy:

Same in South Africa. The minimum wage is still the same until next year but we are already discussing it.

No you are wrong. South Africa government have agreed to increase theirs and have an implementation date already . The Nigerian government is still "studying" the tripatite committee recommendation after she must commute it to the NASS to be passed into law before an implementation can be reached.

Two different scenarios.
Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by akaahs(m): 7:04pm On Nov 27, 2018
obonujoker:
How exactly is Nigeria the giant of Africa??.
By population? grin
Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by BluntBoy(m): 7:05pm On Nov 27, 2018
jmaine:

No you are wrong. South Africa government have agreed to increase theirs and have an implementation date already . The Nigerian government is still "studying" the tripatite committee recommendation after she must commute it to the NASS to be passed into law before an implementation can be reached.

Two different scenarios.

Anyway, I was merely responding to someone who called Buhari useless.
Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by jmaine: 7:10pm On Nov 27, 2018
BluntBoy:

Anyway, I was merely responding to someone who called Buhari useless.

Buhari is absolutely useless and lifeless.
Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by Fitbillionaire: 7:23pm On Nov 27, 2018
Princedapace:

But sadly, it is hard to make 10k daily in Naija. That is the point.

The ease of making the money is the issue.

if you know what you are doing, 10k should not be that hard to make. its not about hard work, its about smart work
Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by mofedamijo(m): 7:23pm On Nov 27, 2018
Princedapace:

Guy leave me alone na. There is no way on earth will u compare SA to Nigeria.

In Nigeria, how many people earn at 3k per day?

How many legitimate hustle pays 2 to 3k per day. Averagely, fresh graduates in Nigeria earn between 30k to 50k per month..

He will pay a rent in a cheap place in Nigeria, a self contain goes for 120k to 200k per year. With 50k per month, he or she will be earning 600k before tax per year.

He pays cheap house rent of 150k for self con. This just a below average life bro. No one really prays for this picture. Sadly, many graduates are living like this.

From that same salary, he has family members who needs tips from him each month. That is the reality in the country. Many people divide their salary to solve one extend family problem or the other..

He pays for internet which is never enough. Average, Nigerians spend 2k per month on low internet usage. That is 24k per year.

He buys food stuff. He buys clothe, he transport. He pays for electricity and still buys fuel to generate more power. He falls sick and treat him self. He doesnt have free health care. Food items are expensive compared to his earning.

Cheap cost of living comes with extremely poor salary. Many banks pay graduate 35k per month. Telcom outsourced firms pay graduates 25k per month..

Graduates hardly flex life. They cant afford it. I dont know what ur arguments are. Some of u just like to argue.
If you don’t understand the difference between constructive criticism and argument, then thats ur ish, if you know how pple also suffer here, u will take a chill pill, Nigerians here employ some of them, and then pay them R800 monthly, unemployment rate in s.a is on the high, my major concern is letting pple know its not always greener at the other end, i have met Nigerians living in the u.k, who lives from hand to mouth, some cant even come home when they lose a love one, and at the same time we have Nigerians who can travel twice a year to the same u.k for vacation........
Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by Princedapace(m): 7:40pm On Nov 27, 2018
mofedamijo:

If you don’t understand the difference between constructive criticism and argument, then thats ur ish, if you know how pple also suffer here, u will take a chill pill, Nigerians here employ some of them, and then pay them R800 monthly, unemployment rate in s.a is on the high, my major concern is letting pple know its not always greener at the other end, i have met Nigerians living in the u.k, who lives from hand to mouth, some cant even come home when they lose a love one, and at the same time we have Nigerians who can travel twice a year to the same u.k for vacation........

Even USA has homeless people.. No country has it all green..

Simple.
Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by Princedapace(m): 7:41pm On Nov 27, 2018
Fitbillionaire:

if you know what you are doing, 10k should not be that hard to make. its not about hard work, its about smart work

Lol.. How many Nigerians earn even 5k per day?
Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by mofedamijo(m): 7:42pm On Nov 27, 2018
Princedapace:

Even USA has homeless people.. No country has it all green..

Simple.
Good you know that.......
Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by Fitbillionaire: 7:47pm On Nov 27, 2018
Princedapace:

Lol.. How many Nigerians earn even 5k per day?
thats why buhari said they are lazy yoots undecided cheesy
Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by Olumyco(m): 8:59pm On Nov 27, 2018
movetoca:
Comparing Nigeria to SA is like comparing Keke to Gwagon. Yes, I meant 2019 Mercedes Gwagon. If you have been to SA before you will understand. Their government works over there. Infact Jacob Zuma was better than all Nigerian leaders since 1960 yet he was a failure in South Africa's standard. Nigeria is still in 19th century. Stop insulting SA by comparing it to a country like Nigeria for Christ sake. I suggest you compare Nigeria to Central Africa republic or Uganda not South Africa. Nigeria can never build a city like Cape Town in the next 400 years. You guys should know your mates and stop embarrassing yourselves online.

I can see you are angry and frustrated but that does not mean you should be talking anyhow. What you said here is invalid. The two most common factors used in measuring a country's development are Economy and Infrastructure. Nigeria is ahead of SA in Economy while they are ahead of us in Infrastructure. So what are you saying? The two Countries are the ones leading Africa in many things. So stop saying things anyhow.
You said Nigeria can't build a city like Cape Town in 400 years when Nigeria is already building Eko Atlantic City that will rival powerful cities of Dubai, US, Japan and co. Even Abuja trails Cape Town if you don't know. Cape Town is the most beautiful city in Africa and Abuja is the second most beautiful. And you should know that Cape Town was built by the Whites. Abuja was built by the blacks. Abuja is the first black city built by the blacks in the world.
Pls calm down and say things as it is.
Nigeria still has hope and by God's grace we will get there. What i want you to know is that. The two things that make a country great are:
1. The Government of the Country
2. The People of the Country

Our major problem is the Govt. and Nigeria is still a little great now not because of the govt. but the people. What will happen is if the govt. fails to make the country great, the people will do so.
Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by movetoca: 9:04pm On Nov 27, 2018
Olumyco:

I can see you are angry and frustrated but that does not mean you should be talking anyhow. What you said here is invalid. The two most common factors used in measuring a country's development are Economy and Infrastructure. Nigeria is ahead of SA in Economy while they are ahead of us in Infrastructure. So what are you saying? The two Countries are the ones leading Africa in many things. So stop saying things anyhow.
You said Nigeria can't build a city like Cape Town in 400 years when Nigeria is already building Eko Atlantic City that will rival powerful cities of Dubai, US, Japan and co. Even Abuja trails Cape Town if you don't know. Cape Town is the most beautiful city in Africa and Abuja is the second most beautiful. And you should know that Cape Town was built by the Whites. Abuja was built by the blacks. Abuja is the first black city built by the blacks in the world.
Pls calm down and say things as it is.
Nigeria still has hope and by God's grace we will get there. What i want you to know is that. The two things that make a country great are:
1. The Government of the Country
2. The People of the Country

Our major problem is the Govt. and Nigeria is still a little great now not because of the govt. but the people. What will happen is if the govt. fails to make the country great, the people will do so.
I don't exchange words with filthy dogs. Go and meet your mates you piece of sh!t. Quote me again and you will regret the day you were born. Imbec!le
Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by Olumyco(m): 9:06pm On Nov 27, 2018
mofedamijo:

Bro thank you for all these enlightenments. Nigerians love criticising their country especially when issues of comparison arises even when they have not gone out. It was when I stepped outside the country I understood that Nigeria as a Country is trying and not that bad compared to some African countries.
If we can overcome our leadership issue in the Country we will rival big countries of the world

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by CioAngels(f): 9:10pm On Nov 27, 2018
MeanChris:
President of South Africa Cyril Ramaphosa said the wage, which would come into effect January 1, 2019, would benefit about six million workers that currently earn R3,700 (N97,495).

http://saharareporters.com/2018/11/27/nigeria-struggles-n30000-south-africa-increases-minimum-wage-n126480
Nigerian leaders are vampire, thieves, wicked and inhuman.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by Macabinha: 9:17pm On Nov 27, 2018
mofedamijo:

Bros I also research in SA to be precise WITS University, I have worked some good paying jobs in South Africa.
I know jobs don't grow on trees in SA, but if you are qualified you will get a job. even the uneducated who stand by the shops to prevent theft get up to R450 per week.
The problem with most Nigerians in SA is lack of education, most yoruba, agbor and Igbo boys in SA are uneducated or half baked with paid certificates, and as such can't defend their profession. Another factor why most Nigerians are unemployed in SA is the difficulty with permit application.
If you studied in an SA university, there is a 50% chance of getting a job.

Majority of Igbo boys with drug cases and yoruba boys with fraud have tanished Nigerian's image... so getting a job in the formal sector is a pain.
Also our deep accent is a bit challenging for white employers.
Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by CioAngels(f): 9:17pm On Nov 27, 2018
Nigerians, mothers, fathers, youths, workers lets vote Sowore for better tomorrow. The problem here is that Nigerian youths refused to believe in themselves. SOWORE for presidency.
Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by Macabinha: 9:25pm On Nov 27, 2018
Ihaveleftnaija:

He over exaggerated. But looking at the working conditions , standard of living etc . Would you choose to come work in naija or stay there?.

Home will always be home... although SA looks good... you will understand what happens when you arrive.
you will feel the breeze that you have no right here...even in the bus you can't talk to the driver or sit where you like at times, you can't even wear a native shirt without been asked for documentation most times, if you are a Nigerian you must always be ready to make a plan even if all your documents are right.... Don't even think of having an accident with a south African.... there will show you this is not your home.... here you stand on one foot like a chicken in its new home.
In Nigeria you got all the freedom you need and If we all reason alike we can make Nigeria great.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by CioAngels(f): 9:25pm On Nov 27, 2018
obonujoker:
How exactly is Nigeria the giant of Africa??.
In stealing the money that is meant for all Nigerians. Jerry Rawlings i believe.
Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by mofedamijo(m): 9:25pm On Nov 27, 2018
Macabinha:

Bros I also research in SA to be precise WITS University, I have worked some good paying jobs in South Africa.
I know jobs don't grow on trees in SA, but if you are qualified you will get a job. even the uneducated who stand by the shops to prevent theft get up to R450 per week.
The problem with most Nigerians in SA is lack of education, most yoruba, agbor and Igbo boys in SA are uneducated or half baked with paid certificates, and as such can't defend their profession. Another factor why most Nigerians are unemployed in SA is the difficulty with permit application.
If you studied in an SA university, there is a 50% chance of getting a job.

Majority of Igbo boys with drug cases and yoruba boys with fraud have tanished Nigerian's image... so getting a job in the formal sector is a pain.
Also our deep accent is a bit challenging for white employers.

You are absolutely right, and that was what i pointed out, be ready to show some certificates to get jobs, Nigerians use to have healthy beef with southies b4 now,unfortunately since this group of hooligans came in, it has been a battle, i was only trying to correct someone who is saying 100k entry job, we were once respected, now the reverse is the cases, getting a job of R20k now is an issue, not necessarily that you’re not a southie,but because the image is nothing to write home about, hoping on my second citizenship soonest by Gods grace.....
Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by SIRTee15: 9:27pm On Nov 27, 2018
mofedamijo:

No need for all this straw man argument....
Everybody knows the best country for a nigerian is nigeria.....
But when those living outside the country seem well off compared to those back home on average, emigration is inevitable....
All this talk of few Nigerians abroad living like a pauper won't deter nobody.....

Nigerian doctors are emigrating in droves....
The few upper middle class in nigeria are resigning in multinationals and leaving for Canada...
If this class of people can leave, then it shows the feeble faith nigerians have in the their country....
Telling struggling n fustrated Nigerians to stay put is pointless....
People are leaving this country not because of any greener pastures.....
It has more to do with escaping poverty and the seemingly obvious uncertainty.....
The solution to this problem is building a viable and prosperous economy capable of lifting millions out of poverty, building a sustainable as well as a reproducible middle class......
We can start by paying our underclass workers a living wage that can actually take them home till month end....
That will be a good step....
Telling people to stay put and continue the struggle wont work.....

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by mofedamijo(m): 9:30pm On Nov 27, 2018
Olumyco:

Bro thank you for all these enlightenments. Nigerians love criticising their country especially when issues of comparison arises even when they have not gone out. It was when I stepped outside the country I understood that Nigeria as a Country is trying and not that bad compared to some African countries.
If we can overcome our leadership issue in the Country we will rival big countries of the world
Oh my God, you’re so on point, i have been to several African countries, and when people compare Nigeria to them i shake my head, some of them don’t even have a passport to start with, some African countries thier Capital cannot even stand beside lekki, and we compare them to almighty Maitama,Garki, Asokoro, Ikoyi, V.I etc, we just love to compare without experiencing both countries, honestly like u said bro, if we eliminate our bad leadership, Nigerians will never apply for passports again, we are trying, but we are having challenges in the area of leadership, thanks for your Golden contribution.
Re: Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 by Macabinha: 9:36pm On Nov 27, 2018
Ihaveleftnaija:

This shthole needs to burnt down. Every time I'm here I always get depressed , just looking to relocate all my family by God's grace .

I believe you guys calling Nigeria a shit hole haven't travelled to a developed country before... you will appreciate Nigeria better when you feel the pain of an illegal immigrant.
I will like you to get this in less than a handful Nigerians can be offered a job in developed countries if they apply from Nigeria OR you wish to go as a student and then what's the next plan.

Refugee status is not for Nigerians...
Don't be a victim of illegal migration. Because your basic rights will not exist. you will not be able to rent a house, get a job, get a bank account, walk freely, even register a SIM card in your name...
please let us build our nation.
before you guys waste 5years of your life.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Onnoghen Pleads Not Guilty To All Charges, Granted Bail On Self Recognition / APC Leaders In Port-Harcourt To Woo Amechi (Pictures) / Ese-Odo Ondo Secretariat Sealed With Juju Over Secretary Appointment(pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.