Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,859 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:28 AM

Oyo State Introduces Levies On Churches, Mosques, Businesses For Security - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oyo State Introduces Levies On Churches, Mosques, Businesses For Security (19070 Views)

Soludo Bans Levies On Wheelbarrow Pushers, Hawkers, Vulcanizers / Lagos Bus Drivers To Pay ₦800 Daily As State Introduces Transport Levy / Bandits Impose Levies On Sokoto Communities, Issue Ultimatum For Payment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oyo State Introduces Levies On Churches, Mosques, Businesses For Security by Nobody: 12:22pm On Nov 28, 2018
This is illegal. What does the governor do with his inauditable security vote allocation?

1 Like

Re: Oyo State Introduces Levies On Churches, Mosques, Businesses For Security by Loversminds: 12:34pm On Nov 28, 2018
No put your mind for mosque, except u won collect token

1 Like

Re: Oyo State Introduces Levies On Churches, Mosques, Businesses For Security by ebenholer(m): 1:59pm On Nov 28, 2018
Another means to dupe the masses of their earnings by government; the same church/mosque goers who pay their taxes are now being asked to double taxes. This is unimaginable really. Even the taxes masses have been paying ,the result are not being felt.

1 Like

Re: Oyo State Introduces Levies On Churches, Mosques, Businesses For Security by Judahudoh: 2:11pm On Nov 28, 2018
When God wants to deal with people he allows them to shoot themselves in the leg first.
This is a goodbye to APC movement in OYO state. ...
Especially governorship

The businesses are struggling to see little profit, yet there is now special security tax...

� �

1 Like

Re: Oyo State Introduces Levies On Churches, Mosques, Businesses For Security by degelinglacis: 3:16pm On Nov 28, 2018
Jiang:
grin

This is small sef, reduce 20% on Manufacturing businesses and increase 30% on the mosques & Churches. If Na me eh......Na quarterly them dey go pay, even jobless Nigerian youth will pay 10k annually as tax for being unproductive

Others can not pay tax for health care, road & security & you come say you be jobless despite enjoying thier tax money...

NA LIE, You must pay for urself, family, kids & ur pets.

Naija must be great grin , I will start with my home state first

But d question here is, would Oyo state use the said money for that purpose?

Uncle, how will a mosque pay tax? Is it not the same mosque where we contribute #50, #20?
It been years some ladies went to a mosque...... Since they are either in their father's house or husband's house

1 Like

Re: Oyo State Introduces Levies On Churches, Mosques, Businesses For Security by Artzdanielsz(m): 3:43pm On Nov 28, 2018
This is ridiculous, what's tax then
Re: Oyo State Introduces Levies On Churches, Mosques, Businesses For Security by oyejideogunjumo: 3:59pm On Nov 28, 2018
walcruise:
now big churches have use to the economy cheesy, imagine this pastors doing business without paying tax. taaa that one na cheating na
if a person doesn't know how a church runs it may be called a business. Every member of the pays their tax where they work. It will be double taxation if the ones contributed is taxed again,having paid their individual taxes already.
Besides,the contributed money is not for the Pastor but for use in the church.Pastor himself will receive salary from it. Even if it is an independent ministry where it is believed that psator owns everything. If no meaningful progress is recorded from the money paid it is either members leave or stop paying money.

1 Like

Re: Oyo State Introduces Levies On Churches, Mosques, Businesses For Security by Charly68: 4:06pm On Nov 28, 2018
Now i know this man is used to weed but in style...first Olubadan ,now churches and Mosques levies ..
Re: Oyo State Introduces Levies On Churches, Mosques, Businesses For Security by Essential(m): 4:06pm On Nov 28, 2018
Re: Oyo State Introduces Levies On Churches, Mosques, Businesses For Security by donbenie(m): 5:37pm On Nov 28, 2018
Gboy101:
don't play with religion they won't hear. religion is a no go area in this part of the world.
Bleep Religion.. angry
Re: Oyo State Introduces Levies On Churches, Mosques, Businesses For Security by neyobills: 5:54pm On Nov 28, 2018
Many of the comments so far have been insensitive and illogical,I have no problem with religious organizations having to pay tax however this Oyo state security tax is illogical and baseless.

The primary responsibility of the government is to provide security and they get billions in the name of security votes from the FG,Ajimobi has not been able to account for all the billions in security vote so far yet they want to raise another tax,this is indeed double taxation and its illegal because the manufacturing companies pay tax already while the individuals going to this religious organizations pay tax as well,this is Akin to a mother telling her kids they have hawk petty goods before u can pay their school fees,security,education,healthcare is the sole responsibility of the govt,if they can't provide security with the security votes they get why not resign and let competent people manage the resources of the government.

Many of these companies already pay private security or the police divisions in their domain to provide security, if they need to tax at all then it must be voluntary,this is the same government that has refused to give local government their immunity and resources, how can we trust this same govt with illegal funds in the name of tax.

Ajimobi must be looking for some owo ojiji and if they allow him get away with this,then what next,road tax or healthcare tax I guess.

1 Like

Re: Oyo State Introduces Levies On Churches, Mosques, Businesses For Security by efighter: 7:13pm On Nov 28, 2018
ithink7:
For those of you saying churches should be using their money to build industries, you have a point.

But my observations are

1. Nigeria as a business entity make trillions of naira everyday. These include money from NNPC (its subs and JVs), Company income tax, VAT, Personal income tax, import duties, registrations, certifications, etc "you can add your own"

2. How many industries have your politicians built with our money?

3. Church money belong to church people and they decide what they want to do with their money. After-all, they have also contributed to the government.

4. If the government is making good use of our money the way churches are making good use of their money, our country won't be this poor. Instead, they are busy stealing our collective resources.

5. I think the church have demonstrated responsibility and accountability by putting their meager resources to good use. Maybe we should allow the church to manage our nation's resources.

If we allow the church to manage Aso rock for 4 years, Nigeria might become a 1st world country.

What do yo think?

I think you should be shot with AK-47 riffle and if you do not die completely, you should be re-shot with AK-49 riffle.
Re: Oyo State Introduces Levies On Churches, Mosques, Businesses For Security by Nobody: 7:18pm On Nov 28, 2018
degelinglacis:

Uncle, how will a mosque pay tax? Is it not the same mosque where we contribute #50, #20?
It been years some ladies went to a mosque...... Since they are either in their father's house or husband's house

Then why should a church pay tax,
just like you contribute #50 others contribute #500, besides some big man will even take responsibility for the whole tax.

If mosques don't pay, churches should not pay, I for example shall take responsibility for the central mosque in my area. the other small ones which are only 50-20 feet's from each other should fend for themselves, after all even Islamically astronomical number of mosques does not increase faith only division among the ummah

P.S, I take God beg you, unless you are under 10 years old don't call me uncle, am not even 30 yet angry

1 Like

Re: Oyo State Introduces Levies On Churches, Mosques, Businesses For Security by degelinglacis: 7:31pm On Nov 28, 2018
Jiang:

Then why should a church pay tax,
just like you contribute #50 others contribute #500, besides some big man will even take responsibility for the whole tax.

If mosques don't pay, churches should not pay, I for example shall take responsibility for the central mosque in my area. the other small ones which are only 50-20 feet's from each other should fend for themselves, after all even Islamically astronomical number of mosques does not increase faith only division among the ummah

P.S, I take God beg you, unless you are under 10 years old don't call me uncle, am not even 30 yet angry

grin Uncle cheesy cheesy, I agree with you. This policy will help us get our priorities right as a ummah.
Re: Oyo State Introduces Levies On Churches, Mosques, Businesses For Security by dederocs(m): 8:04pm On Nov 28, 2018
Give what belongs to ceasar to him...
Re: Oyo State Introduces Levies On Churches, Mosques, Businesses For Security by ithink7: 10:03pm On Nov 28, 2018
Is that what you think should be done to anyone who have different opinion from yours?

You are not suppose to be living among humans.

I've been shot by your SARS before but the bullet brushed me and killed the other SARS guy. You might be next.

efighter:

I think you should be shot with AK-47 riffle and if you do not die completely, you should be re-shot with AK-49 riffle.
Re: Oyo State Introduces Levies On Churches, Mosques, Businesses For Security by agylistic77: 10:32pm On Nov 28, 2018
I don't support the idea, because brainwashed members will still be the ones that will pay the levy and it will be another avenue for so-called papa to make money to buy yatch..
Re: Oyo State Introduces Levies On Churches, Mosques, Businesses For Security by Nobody: 11:16pm On Nov 28, 2018
degelinglacis:

grin Uncle cheesy cheesy, I agree with you. This policy will help us get our priorities right as a ummah.

sighs...I give up

1 Like

Re: Oyo State Introduces Levies On Churches, Mosques, Businesses For Security by Lush100(m): 8:44am On Dec 04, 2018
I am not in support of over-taxing.
this is totally uncalled for.
if the security vote were to be put into good use with accountability, this would never even be mentioned.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari: I Will Assemble A Strong Team Of Ministers For Next Level / Peter Obi’s Votes’ll Come From Twitter, Says Atiku Group / Suspension looms for Wike, other G5 members over romance with Tinubu, APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.