Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,333 members, 7,780,873 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:26 AM

Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work (21694 Views)

You Earn #200k A Month But Your Boss Is Always Angry & Abusive? / I Commented 'What A Nice Picture' On My Boss' Photo And She Is Taking It Up / Help My Boss Is Frustrating Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by Tellemall: 6:55am On Nov 29, 2018
godfrey01:

you have said it all.. I am in similar situation too. working as an IT expert... hardware and software. but credit goes to the boss and not me. sometimes I spend nights thinking of how a problem could be solved and achieved for customer satisfaction...

By following only one law out of 48, what are you really benefiting from it?

Except your boss dies suddenly or he gets promoted and decided to take a liking to you, you'll continue thinking out problems for his glory while trying never to outshine the master.

If you have ambition that law of power isn't for you. The guy you quoted will probably live by it and be one of those staff who appear frustrated, angry and tired of their jobs, except he's happy being under heel.
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by binary007: 8:05am On Nov 29, 2018
@OP Timing and patience is important.
Your manager would go on leave or get sick.. and voila! you have your opportunity. But don't be overly ambitious.
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by Juliearth(f): 8:13am On Nov 29, 2018
MrOpp:
Hello my fellow NLers,

I have been spending quite sometime on this forum recently, TBH, it has been informative, entertaining & quite educative.

I am presently in a dilemma and I need urgent input from experienced NLers, I believe we have experienced career people here that must have gone through what am going through at the moment.

I got a job about 6months ago, its quite a good job, thanks to Nairaland job section, on resumption I notice there was a total overhaul of my dept, all former staff were fired and we were employ to replace them. I resume same day with my Dept Manager two months later a junior officer was employ to join us.

I have had a fantastic relationship with my manager the past six months, and we are in good terms, we drive home together everyday, we chat, have quality conversation, even lunch together etc. but am really becoming worried about something else....

My manger seems to take credit for all my work, he somehow deny me opportunity to prove my worth to top management. Now I will give you a typical instance.

Whenever our GMD comes around, there is always a meeting with one rep from each dept. not neccessarily the departmental head, in his absence am suppose to represent the department, he denies me of opportunity like this.

He has on many occassions deny my opportunity to meet the GMD on job related issues, when the GMD needs to see someone from my dept. or sign some documents even in his absence, he either call me to handover documents to the GMD secretary or send an office assistant to drop the document.

Furthermore, on resumption, I noticed the coy still run their account dept manually, an accounting software was introduce, a software i have used for years, which he (my Manager) is not familiar with, though after the software was deploy, we were trained, even after the training he seems not to know his way around the software interface, i single handedly automated all historial data for the previous 2yrs, and my manager took the credit at the magt meetings. Without even mentioning my name, its really annoying.

I am totally pissed right not cos, he just got a pay rise courtesy to the successful deployment and automation of the accounting system, which he knows absolutely nothing about, which i singledhandedly, paintstakingly work on for over 6months even investing my Saturdays.

The above is one instance out of so many.

I expect a manager to represent work done my the department he manages as "WE in so & so dept" I have overheard him many times using "I".

He personally ask me not to pass any dept info to mgt staff member, and all enquiries should be refered to him. I feel he doesnt want me to shine.

I need advise from fellow NLers who have gone through similar situation.

This is not really going well with me.

Sorry about your dilemma, op. Your experience is not new however. Same way my supervisor published my work without giving me credit. The painful part is that you can't do nothing about this as he is your boss and any act of rebellion may cost you your job.
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by Wallace2107: 9:28am On Nov 29, 2018
MrOpp:
Hello my fellow NLers,

I have been spending quite sometime on this forum recently, TBH, it has been informative, entertaining & quite educative.

I am presently in a dilemma and I need urgent input from experienced NLers, I believe we have experienced career people here that must have gone through what am going through at the moment.

I got a job about 6months ago, its quite a good job, thanks to Nairaland job section, on resumption I notice there was a total overhaul of my dept, all former staff were fired and we were employ to replace them. I resume same day with my Dept Manager two months later a junior officer was employ to join us.

I have had a fantastic relationship with my manager the past six months, and we are in good terms, we drive home together everyday, we chat, have quality conversation, even lunch together etc. but am really becoming worried about something else....

My manger seems to take credit for all my work, he somehow deny me opportunity to prove my worth to top management. Now I will give you a typical instance.

Whenever our GMD comes around, there is always a meeting with one rep from each dept. not neccessarily the departmental head, in his absence am suppose to represent the department, he denies me of opportunity like this.

He has on many occassions deny my opportunity to meet the GMD on job related issues, when the GMD needs to see someone from my dept. or sign some documents even in his absence, he either call me to handover documents to the GMD secretary or send an office assistant to drop the document.

Furthermore, on resumption, I noticed the coy still run their account dept manually, an accounting software was introduce, a software i have used for years, which he (my Manager) is not familiar with, though after the software was deploy, we were trained, even after the training he seems not to know his way around the software interface, i single handedly automated all historial data for the previous 2yrs, and my manager took the credit at the magt meetings. Without even mentioning my name, its really annoying.

I am totally pissed right not cos, he just got a pay rise courtesy to the successful deployment and automation of the accounting system, which he knows absolutely nothing about, which i singledhandedly, paintstakingly work on for over 6months even investing my Saturdays.

I expect a manager to represent work done my the department he manages as "WE in so & so dept" I have overheard him many times using "I".

He personally ask me not to pass any dept info to mgt staff member, and all enquiries should be refered to him. I feel he doesnt want me to shine.

trust me, the honest truth is, let ur boss enjoy the glory, its ok.thats why he is your boss,but work wisely. its very important.dont let him shield u from where other openings can come for u. Gotta be wise bro
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by gabicon: 9:46am On Nov 29, 2018
MrOpp:
Hello my fellow NLers,

There is no hiding place for a star, the day may cover its brightness but the night will always come. keep up the innovative work and maintain a good attitude, if you are the star you claim to be, just be patient your night is coming. GED's or CEO's dont raise people up, God does but you have to maintain a right attitude for Him to do so.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by mapet: 10:12am On Nov 29, 2018
@OP, let me be brutally-frank in stating the following (you are at liberty to reject these submission tho)

YOU ARE MAKING SOME DEFAULT MISTAKES OF SMART NEW RECRUITS.

1. With this mindset? You'RE few clicks away from getting into trouble. More like your boss is baiting you and you're falling for it. He's most likely seeing through you....the frustration, the impatience, the anger and other stuffs
2. I am more worried for you that are you concerned about "your work" and stuffs like that at this stage of your career? In fact, what you are currently being measure on is your ability to be a potential leader..i.e. a team player, a good steward and a good servant (not a loner)..and a cardinal aspect of that includes your ability to serve. If you are at this stage worried and complaining about your manager "taking credit for your work", the signal you're sending is that if you're a GM, you will soon be complaining that the GMD is "taking credit for your work" to the Board?
3. Someone advised you (albeit less-wisdom) to copy a superior officer in your correspondences...... Even the superior officer will frown at such "un-tempered ambition". You need to get into the mind of your superiors a bit. The moment your boss's boss condone such acts (allowing you to correspond to him directly and not through your manager) = your manager is at liberty to do same to him.
4. YOU NEED TO RESPECT YOUR MANAGER. Have you ever considered why this guy was employed as the manager and you as a subordinate? Because his profile, experience and total package is better than yours. At the moment he offers better value to the organisation.
5. Why are you so overtly ambitious to see the GMD? Why can you not simply relax and let your work speak for you? Have you bothered to check if you have overtly demonstrated this ambition of yours and your manager has seen it hence his decision to suppress you? You seem to have given out all your aces and he knows your "moves"; explains why he doesn't want you to attend meetings in his absence or see the GMD on-on-one.
6. On the issue of the new accounting software, I tell you (as someone who led information systems in the corporate world for over 7yrs), your knowledge of how to use the accounting software above your manager hardly counts for much in the grand scheme of things. You are rated on this, you manager is rated on the delivery and accuracy of the end product - The Financials. The management will not scold him for not knowing how to use the software.....they will rather scold him for not using you guys to use the software to effect.

Pls get some things right
1. The journey to the top is arduous, challenging and tasking. It requires physical and mental fitness, and you have to fit for the marathon. You will be muscled, bruised, out-witted, taken advantage on (you may/will also do same..). For each you need to learn how to navigate your way through these hurdles. It requires patients, smarts and wisdom.
2. Don't make a move ahead of the time for the move. Be like a cat (Lion, Tiger, Jaguar etc) that waits patiently for the right moment before it pounces. If you "jump" before time, you miss the prize....and people who are less capable than you will be rewarded
3. Make your manager feel comfortable (even if you hate his guts). Let him feel you're not a threat. Even if you want to scheme for his position..... take him off your scent. Your time to seize the moment will surely come. For example, I always refer to the root of my biggest career break as that one time I taught my former HR manager some aspects in excel (something simple, trivial and of no consequences), she was so impressed with my conduct that she never forgot me. From there she recommended the company "disconnected" outsourcing that aspect of training and made it internal. I was asked to train a whole exploration department.....from there I was invited to join a meeting/project team mid-way to "volunteer my opinion" on an aspect.....from there I was asked to permanently join the project team......from there the project team was sent to the UK for a 2 weeks training/workshop/strategy session......at the workshop I distinguished myself.........back in the country I was one of the people given public acknowledgement by the MD.......from their the ED invited me for an informal interview for a new position........on and on. Prior to this I was like you. I was "burned" for about 3 frustrating years, before I let wisdom work and not my frustration.
4. This may or may not work, I suggest you change your strategy - make it a priority to continue to do a damn good job, then let it look like you don't care beyond that point. Push your good ideas to your boss. Let him get "uncomfortable-until-he-hears-from-you". Increase the output of your department through him. Let the bigger and better results continue to churn out......if he fails to recognize you and others in the team, then one day he'll do himself in. Even if you don't get rewarded on this job, if you keep at this pace, you'll have simply prepared yourself for a bigger and better position on your next job.

Regards

4 Likes

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by mapet: 10:19am On Nov 29, 2018
Ranchhoddas:
Law 7: Let others do the work for you, but always take the credit.

Use the wisdom, knowledge and legwork of others to further your cause. Not only will such assistance save you valuable time and energy, it will give you a godlike aura of efficiency and speed. In the end your helpers will be forgotten and you will be remembered. Never do for yourself what others can do for you.

48 Laws of power.

Better to know the game than to be played
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by mapet: 10:24am On Nov 29, 2018
nams77:

Very apt. I made that mistake before coming across that book.
I was a new employee, bright and full of creative ideas. I was always making timely and great suggestions. Never knew my manager wasn't happy. He saw me as too forward. The first thing he did was to fling me to a far and irrelevant branch. Away from the hub of power. He publicly humiliated me, but back then, I used to be a fiery headed person. I got my pound of flesh later but it cost me my job.
From that irrelevant branch the chairman selected me to be the head of a committee that will x-ray and examine every activities of staff and also proffer recommendation. The chairman was looking for a no-nonsense person. Someone who cannot be intimated or cowed. At the end of the exercise, you can guess my recommendation. It was a scathing report against the management staff and the MD. He was immediately relieved of his position and transfer to an obscure subsidiary.and me? I was later axed by another over-zealous newbie lol

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by mapet: 10:26am On Nov 29, 2018
Georgeofor1:
You need to distance yourself away from him diplomatically, desist from having lunch with him, lengthy conversations and joining him back home. That way he would not have the confidence to Boss you around(i.e giving you instructions on who and who not to communicate with). Keep playing cool but try to get close to any manager that's open-minded, just in case he starts feeling insecure and wants to write bad report about you, there would be someone to question his report.

Take this advise.....and you're out on the street in a jiffy
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by mapet: 10:30am On Nov 29, 2018
babyfaceafrica:

ejibaba: :

Thank you but I maintain my stand...if you really have the sense as claimed do a double check on my claim and you would verify my assertion, though not 100% but to large extent. We carried out a study 5years back on cultural influence on leadership disposition and style and this informed my statement.

Nothing personal or insulting in post as I never claimed any tribe was better. So tribal warlord take a chill

you made.a sweeping accusations on a tribe on social media and you have the effontry to come here to.mention a fallacious research... you really have no sense

When I saw study/research.... I shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked .... Choi. Academics "yaf suffered"
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by mapet: 10:31am On Nov 29, 2018
Lomprico2:

The manager is not his employer! So he is not his boss!

Are u saying d manager will take d blame if any mistake happens?

Ogbeni! 48 laws of power does not apply here.
Nigger has a typical black mans 'bring down' syndrome. The manager did not employ him.

.....absolutely correct.......

the only thing you're yet to add is that the manager can get him fired..and/or....out-rightly fire him
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by mapet: 10:35am On Nov 29, 2018
MaziOmenuko:

I never disagreed with him openly except on one occasion in the presence of the MD when he made one silly suggestion which I challenged and after presenting our points, the MD took my side. After that, matters degenerated so much that he told me openly that I was eyeing his job.

You did this (whether right or wrong) and something did not tell you that you have practically drawn the battle line?
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by Casemiro(m): 11:25am On Nov 29, 2018
Never outshine the master cool

>>>>>>>

> >>learn more here <<

choi cheesy
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by suremanpatriot: 11:30am On Nov 29, 2018
He or she is using your star to shine, this is what many dubious employers do now,beg God to fight for you and deliver you from such bondages angry
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by MrOpp(m): 2:13pm On Nov 29, 2018
I want to say thank you to everyone that contributed to my post, I am convinced that just as I have learn from your contributions, many other NLers has also learn from your contributions. those with humorous contribution, you guys rock! to the very wise contributors, many thanks, I read all your contributions and found so many valuable, I try to modify my original post for everyone to see this, unfortunate I couldn't, I want everyone who contributed and those who only came to read contributions to know, you guys are awesome! I want to say a special thank you to coolcharm, praxs, jokality, SlimBrawnie, abc115, TheGreenLand, kingharzy, pocohantas, BuhariBuster, ShamsBarack, saragujay, lawrence35, ejibaba, grin SmartMindsFx, Agbaletu, babadee1, nams77, & every other contributor.

I am taking the advise from coolcharm, nams77 and every other contributor that align with them, its the best line of action. Thank you guys, you guys rock!

To my supermode, Seun, Lalasticalala et al. Thanks for taking this to FP

Am typing in a hurry.
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by coolcharm(m): 3:00pm On Nov 29, 2018
MrOpp:
I want to say thank you to everyone that contribution to my post, I am convinced that just as I have learn from your contributions, many other Nlers has also learn from your contributions. those the salvage contribution, you guys rock! to the my very wise contributors, many thanks, I read all your contributions and found so many valuable, I have been modify and post for everyone to see this, unfortunate I couldn't, I want everyone who contributed and those who only came to read contributions to know, you guys are awesome! I want to say a special thank you to coolcharm, praxs, jokality, SlimBrawnie, abc115, TheGreenLand, kingharzy, pocohantas, BuhariBuster, ShamsBarack, saragujay, lawrence35, ejibaba, grin SmartMindsFx, Agbaletu, babadee1, nams77, & every other contributors.

I am taking the advise from coolcharm, nams77 and every other contributor that align with them, its the best line of action. Thank you guys, you guys rock!

Am typing in a hurry.

Hey,

Good to hear from you again.

Wish you all the best in your endeavours.
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by Nobody: 4:06pm On Nov 29, 2018
You are always welcome
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by MrOpp(m): 4:43pm On Nov 29, 2018
coolcharm:

Hey,

Good to hear from you again.

Wish you all the best in your endeavours.
Thanks
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by MrOpp(m): 4:54pm On Nov 29, 2018
mapet:
@OP, let me be brutally-frank in stating the following (you are at liberty to reject these submission tho)

YOU ARE MAKING SOME DEFAULT MISTAKES OF SMART NEW RECRUITS.

1. With this mindset? You'RE few clicks away from getting into trouble. More like your boss is baiting you and you're falling for it. He's most likely seeing through you....the frustration, the impatience, the anger and other stuffs
2. I am more worried for you that are you concerned about "your work" and stuffs like that at this stage of your career? In fact, what you are currently being measure on is your ability to be a potential leader..i.e. a team player, a good steward and a good servant (not a loner)..and a cardinal aspect of that includes your ability to serve. If you are at this stage worried and complaining about your manager "taking credit for your work", the signal you're sending is that if you're a GM, you will soon be complaining that the GMD is "taking credit for your work" to the Board?
3. Someone advised you (albeit less-wisdom) to copy a superior officer in your correspondences...... Even the superior officer will frown at such "un-tempered ambition". You need to get into the mind of your superiors a bit. The moment your boss's boss condone such acts (allowing you to correspond to him directly and not through your manager) = your manager is at liberty to do same to him.
4. YOU NEED TO RESPECT YOUR MANAGER. Have you ever considered why this guy was employed as the manager and you as a subordinate? Because his profile, experience and total package is better than yours. At the moment he offers better value to the organisation.
5. Why are you so overtly ambitious to see the GMD? Why can you not simply relax and let your work speak for you? Have you bothered to check if you have overtly demonstrated this ambition of yours and your manager has seen it hence his decision to suppress you? You seem to have given out all your aces and he knows your "moves"; explains why he doesn't want you to attend meetings in his absence or see the GMD on-on-one.
6. On the issue of the new accounting software, I tell you (as someone who led information systems in the corporate world for over 7yrs), your knowledge of how to use the accounting software above your manager hardly counts for much in the grand scheme of things. You are rated on this, you manager is rated on the delivery and accuracy of the end product - The Financials. The management will not scold him for not knowing how to use the software.....they will rather scold him for not using you guys to use the software to effect.

Pls get some things right
1. The journey to the top is arduous, challenging and tasking. It requires physical and mental fitness, and you have to fit for the marathon. You will be muscled, bruised, out-witted, taken advantage on (you may/will also do same..). For each you need to learn how to navigate your way through these hurdles. It requires patients, smarts and wisdom.
2. Don't make a move ahead of the time for the move. Be like a cat (Lion, Tiger, Jaguar etc) that waits patiently for the right moment before it pounces. If you "jump" before time, you miss the prize....and people who are less capable than you will be rewarded
3. Make your manager feel comfortable (even if you hate his guts). Let him feel you're not a threat. Even if you want to scheme for his position..... take him off your scent. Your time to seize the moment will surely come. For example, I always refer to the root of my biggest career break as that one time I taught my former HR manager some aspects in excel (something simple, trivial and of no consequences), she was so impressed with my conduct that she never forgot me. From there she recommended the company "disconnected" outsourcing that aspect of training and made it internal. I was asked to train a whole exploration department.....from there I was invited to join a meeting/project team mid-way to "volunteer my opinion" on an aspect.....from there I was asked to permanently join the project team......from there the project team was sent to the UK for a 2 weeks training/workshop/strategy session......at the workshop I distinguished myself.........back in the country I was one of the people given public acknowledgement by the MD.......from their the ED invited me for an informal interview for a new position........on and on. Prior to this I was like you. I was "burned" for about 3 frustrating years, before I let wisdom work and not my frustration.
4. This may or may not work, I suggest you change your strategy - make it a priority to continue to do a damn good job, then let it look like you don't care beyond that point. Push your good ideas to your boss. Let him get "uncomfortable-until-he-hears-from-you". Increase the output of your department through him. Let the bigger and better results continue to churn out......if he fails to recognize you and others in the team, then one day he'll do himself in. Even if you don't get rewarded on this job, if you keep at this pace, you'll have simply prepared yourself for a bigger and better position on your next job.

Regards
Thanks, I only wanted to know if there is a better way to deal with it other than the bolded, all the same, like I earlier mentioned, we are best of friends, I even decide to choose him as a mentor, though was really hurt when he got a raise and couldn't put a word on my behalf and knowing how much I have invested to make it a reality.

Nairaland is like a family to me, i feel free to spill my heart out here and sit down to read contributions/comments. I graduated in 2009 and have worked in 2 companies for the last 8yrs, my present coy is the 3rd. Yes, i am human i get angry, but overtime via the books i have read and via personal development + experience, i don't talk nor take action when angry that has been my guide.

All thesame, many thanks for your contribution.
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by MrOpp(m): 4:55pm On Nov 29, 2018
binary007:
@OP Timing and patience is important.
Your manager would go on leave or get sick.. and voila! you have your opportunity. But don't be overly ambitious.
Awesome way of thinking. Thanks a lot
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by MrOpp(m): 4:56pm On Nov 29, 2018
MaziOmenuko:
I had similar experience in one of my previous place of work. Mine was that aside being selfish and canny, my boss was very overbearing. He was employed newly to head the department, prior to that, I was acting as dept head when my previous boss resigned. Upon resumption, I practically taught him everything in the department. Then he became very paranoid of me. He always felt I was a threat to his job.

I never disagreed with him openly except on one occasion in the presence of the MD when he made one silly suggestion which I challenged and after presenting our points, the MD took my side. After that, matters degenerated so much that he told me openly that I was eyeing his job.

I have read that 48 laws of power and is familiar with the phrase 'Never outshine your master', but unfortunately, I am not of that same school of taught. I don't have to swallow a popular phrase because it is a General believe. I made myself visible to the point that during mgt meetings, the MD always sends for me alongside him because he knows what I am capable of.

Long story short, during one of our yearly performance review and appraisal, he strongly recommended that I be sacked as I was incompetent on the job and not a team player. He ended up getting sacked for falling short of some basic management requirement.

What saved my job was not obeying one law in the 48 commandements; I was retained for having a good track record of outstanding performance visible for all to see.

Oga, make yourself visible. Next time you see an innovation that will move your company forward, prepare a very nice slide with PowerPoint and send to your MD. Tell him you need 5mins of his time to make the presentation.

Your boss did not hire you, don't let him decide when you will be sacked.

***I must add that my experience above is relative. It depends on your boss. I had a boss that gave me a project, a big one. When I was through, he forwarded my report to the MD and mentioned specifically that I was the one that did the job. He blind copied me in the mail he sent to the MD. I was overwhelmed. So it all boils down to the kind of boss you have. For such a boss, I would gladly obey the law of not bordering myself to outshine him.
Thanks for sharing your experience, I appreciate.
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by MrOpp(m): 5:03pm On Nov 29, 2018
sunny777:
There are different types of leaders in organizations. The one that normally say I achieve this and another that will say we. Being your boss today doesn't mean that is how it will continue for the next five years or ten years. I have worked under this condition for about four years. You need to be patient and face your work and have faith that your own time will come. My own case was worst than yours but with patience, endurance and perseverance I overcame all. For those advising you to copy higher management any mail you send to your boss, that's not the solution. What is happening now is one of those experience you need to become a good leader tommorow.
The one that was claiming all the glory during my time in the wilderness was my subordinate three years ago. Your time to shine will come. Be patient.
I absolutely agree with you. Thanks for your contribution.
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by MrOpp(m): 5:03pm On Nov 29, 2018
mechanics:
Since God sees your hard work, you have to wait for your time to come, like in the civil service, you don't expect presidency to increase one's salary like that, even though the person knows the work, he or she has to do promotion exam and pass before pay increase, that's how it is, your boss takes the glory, since you are working under him, relax.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by MrOpp(m): 5:05pm On Nov 29, 2018
gypsey:
He is your boss, he should take credit for your work. if you don't like it, find a job some were else, Any company would be Delighted to Employ you. unless you are Rubbish at work. grin
My brother we no d quarrel nah, ;Dall the same thanks for our contribution
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by mechanics(m): 5:06pm On Nov 29, 2018
MrOpp:
Thanks
You welcome.
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by MrOpp(m): 5:11pm On Nov 29, 2018
[quote author=OladimejiRufai post=73388825][/quote] I also think a lot of those job hunting for long without success lack skill and might not be well informed, getting a job is more than your degree, after graduating you need a lot of personal development, you need to know the right thing to do, you CV also contribute, your LinkedIn profile, where and how you job hunt & I also believe on the God factor as well. TBH, for 8yrs now I have never been jobless for more than 1month. Though I see it as grace. all the same, Many thanks for your contribution.
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by MrOpp(m): 5:12pm On Nov 29, 2018
Halo22:
Well If I would advise, you should just allow him to take the glory for now, it won't last forever. Am sure one day ur GMD must dig deep into his performance and who and who contribute to may be success on his area of delivery and sure he will mention your name, except he z a demon himself. I have had such issue with my manager, when the time became riped, he couldn't hold the commendation which earned me a 30% increment in my Salary. So Bro, just leave things to work on its accord........Wish u good luck.
Thanks
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by MrOpp(m): 5:12pm On Nov 29, 2018
Treasuredlove:
Who says management is not watching? Just do your thing to grow, not for the accolades or anything, with time all your efforts will pay off...besides have you ever considered he is also a good boss cos he is approachable and takes to your recommendations? Some bosses won't even listen to a quarter of what you have to say. E.g that software thingy you mentioned, another boss will act like he has all dat planned already and bring in his own people to do the software work...same problem, same result...he still gets the glory
Just do your job biko
Thanks for taking time to contribute, I appreciate

1 Like

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by MrOpp(m): 5:14pm On Nov 29, 2018
saajus:
This is a very common problem in any work environment. You need to be careful with such manager. Be very nice to him and never let him not suspect this game I want to teach you.

If possible, Disrupt a vital thing in that software. Disguise as if it's a new problem you've never seen before. Keep troubleshooting and make the troubleshooting very obvious to almost everyone in that office. Fix the problem later. Repeat this process again and again until it's obvious to everyone that you are the brain behind but remember to still keep respecting your manager. Keep hyping him by telling him you have more solutions to bring on-board.

Your time to shine will surely come. Don't rush. Patiently wait.
Thanks for contribution, its a way out, but not the best. all the same thanks
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by MrOpp(m): 5:15pm On Nov 29, 2018
Youngzedd:
Hehe, you self nawaa.

Seems you aren't use to office games. Bros, what you are experiencing is now seen as a norm.

Oga Manager must protect his job too. Hence you're under him, He takes the glory and also the bullcrap.

Take Facebook for an example, Mark takes the glory but those who are actually doing the work are no where to be found in the public like that.

When Facebook had an issue with data and was taken to the senate, him Mark Zuckerberg went to clear the mess.

Ask yourself, will you also be ready to clear a mess when the time come.

In this space, your boss is higher than you.

Do your thing and STFU
grin Well, thanks for taking time to comment.
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by MrOpp(m): 5:16pm On Nov 29, 2018
oloriIT:
OP, I can understand your frustration. However, I will like to advise you to talk things easy. Continue to do your job happily. No matter how much he tries to shield you from being noticed by executive management, one day you will be spotted out for honor. Will he not go on leave? Won't he have reasons not to come to office someday? Just wait for your opportunity and God will raise you up. After one opportunity, the truth will be known by your management and they will see the game he is playing and they will be requesting for you to attend some of the strategic meetings he is trying to shield you from.

Just keep your calm and continue praying that should favour you and bless the work of your hands.

Best regards
Thank you
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by MrOpp(m): 5:16pm On Nov 29, 2018
nastyesco:
A lot of good advises which I certainly agree with has been earlier posted and if I may add, pls never try to outshine the team, its called a team for a reason, your drive for recognition is stemming from this. Addressing ur GM may even turn out to be a disaster as he will sense ur hunger for recognition and take it as a lack of team spirit. I understand ur pain but ur time will come, keep improving yourself and you will grow, ur ambition should be global not local. A lone wolf never catches game.
Lots of good advise indeed, thanks for your contribution

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? / A Company Director At 29, How Adetola Durojaiye Rose To The Top In Five Years / Arik Air Sacks 300 Workers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.