Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,901 members, 7,802,917 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:13 AM

Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? (9936 Views)

Is Medical Sales Rep A Good Career Or Job? / Should I Chase The Money Or Focus On School / How Can I Pursue A Career In Public Health (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by StUdY1: 6:32am On Nov 30, 2018
Good morning house, pls I need your advice weather to focus more on my skill or to continue with my education.

I just gained admission to study physics into one of the federal university in Nigeria and I have being having a second thought to defer/forget about the admission (because I have already accepted it and paid acceptance fee).

I deal mostly with Electronics and i am very good in what I do.But the fact that I read a few pages on different thread on this forum that it is better to have a skill than having a degree have being making me to think about forgetting about education and focus more on what I am doing(which is my skill)

PLS I WILL NEED YOUR ADVICE!!!THANKS...

2 Likes

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by Alejob: 6:34am On Nov 30, 2018
Pls carry on with the study. You will meet people of like minds and will even learn more for free from most of them. I personally have at least 2 young inventors I can call friends in 2 Federal University, one just graduated with a first class degree while the other is in his 200 level but already attending to international competition for tech development and still making good grades despite his tight schedules! I am the right person to talk to as far as powerbank for your laptop, Phones and LED TV is concerned. See my signature below and recommend. Thanks

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by StUdY1: 9:56pm On Nov 30, 2018
More advice needed

1 Like

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by tstx(m): 9:32am On Dec 01, 2018
Focus on your skill.... Degrees are useless in Nigeria (unless you dey plan enter politics)...
But if you must get a degree, You can always get it much much later....

5 Likes

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by Nobody: 9:33am On Dec 01, 2018
Nothing stops you from going to school while you still carry out your skill working.
You can juxtapose the two.
All the best.

52 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by Mizwisdom(f): 9:33am On Dec 01, 2018
Education

1 Like

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by itiswellandwell: 9:35am On Dec 01, 2018
I will advice you to focus on your skills. Give your skills more development like learning skills like Air conditions service and repairs, house and industrial conduit and wiring etc. Electrical and electronics skills that will earn you big contracts. Also, buy Tvs, tapes etc and sell.
As for your degree. Look for somewhere you can do part time for the certificate sake perhaps an opportunity may arise in future and there will be need for it. Na practical be the koko and you have got one bringing money for you. Don't ever stop letting you bring money for you. Na money be fine bobo!

Check my signature for original follow come Samsung fast adaptive charger.

11 Likes

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:35am On Dec 01, 2018
Studying physics will not prevent you from dabbling into electronics, in fact it will help.
Go and start your university education young man.

16 Likes

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by alizma: 9:36am On Dec 01, 2018
what is a career without your skill?

4 Likes

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by chiroyale(f): 9:36am On Dec 01, 2018
Why don't you do both..

Physics and Electronics go hand in hand..

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by iornenge81(m): 9:37am On Dec 01, 2018
Getting a degree does not in any way stop you from focusing on your skills. In fact it will help sharpen the skills

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by Justseyii: 9:37am On Dec 01, 2018
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by EngrBouss(m): 9:39am On Dec 01, 2018
Bro, combine both it’s an added advantage. Also have a friend like @alejob. He combined both left his certificate in school and further learnt electronics as a trainee. Has now opened his shop with more experience and knowledge than his boss and makes too good a money. He does stuffs no one I know can do. Dude you are blessed, run am.

Sell all kinds of software from engineering to accounting. All software packages come with tutorials. Call or WhatsApp on 07087210933

3 Likes

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by CHRISDMANAGER(m): 9:40am On Dec 01, 2018
The both can go,just make sure one doesn't overshadow one..You can improve your skill through formal Education,one of my regrets though not late is not aquiring any skill before I entered school..

5 Likes

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by Nobody: 9:42am On Dec 01, 2018
Dear friend, go on with the studies. If possible, develop both side by side. It will give you more exposure, knowledge, perspective, confidence and opportunities. You will write better too and think bigger. It's good you have both potentials on your hand -- don't waste any of them.

You know one of the key ingredients of success? Education and skill. Many graduates too are in a doldrum because they're educated but have little or no real skills. Many skilled artisans too are not as rich as they should be because although they have practical knowledge, they don't have the education needed to give them greater exposure, confidence and opportunities.

So, you need both. Develop them side by side and you'll be a star in your field.

All the best cool

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by trapQ: 9:43am On Dec 01, 2018
Well....
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by anthronics: 9:43am On Dec 01, 2018
With the way Nigerians worship certificate, both are important but I will advise you focus more on building your skills. Most silent millionaires I know in Nigeria are educated but make their millions from the skills they have learnt over the years and not actually with the help of certificate. Hope this helps.

6 Likes

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by Maxcollins042(m): 9:44am On Dec 01, 2018
OP you can juggle the two. This way you won't be putting all your eggs in one basket.
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by Adiwana: 9:45am On Dec 01, 2018
Why don't you reapply for Electronics Engr??It will expose you to advanced Electronics in terms Theories,Electronic designs etc.And since you are grounded in the practical aspects,it will make you to be fantastic and really give you an edge in the field.Good luck

4 Likes

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by pyman11(m): 9:46am On Dec 01, 2018
pls I am also in a dilemma concerning my life and I want it to be in the front page for people to advice me....pls how do I go about it
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by goodlifehyd(m): 9:46am On Dec 01, 2018
Physics alone na die then combining with ur personal hustle na cemetery straight
Hope it's not Unilorin thou cuz physics in that school is worst than hell

5 Likes

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by 1zynnvn(m): 9:47am On Dec 01, 2018
Do you want to be wealthy or rich and happy
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by Moreoffaith(m): 9:48am On Dec 01, 2018
Ask those who drop their skills for certificate on this forum,

They will surely tell you where they are today.

3 Likes

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by LORDKing001: 9:51am On Dec 01, 2018
StUdY1:
Good morning house, pls I need your advice weather to focus more on my skill or to continue with my education.

I just gained admission to study physics into one of the federal university in Nigeria and I have being having a second thought to defer/forget about the admission (because I have already accepted it and paid acceptance fee).

I deal mostly with Electronics and i am very good in what I do.But the fact that I read a few pages on different thread on this forum that it is better to have a skill than having a degree have being making me to think about forgetting about education and focus more on what I am doing(which is my skill)

You got admitted to study physics at futminna. Pursue your dream
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by kaptaneSaka(m): 9:54am On Dec 01, 2018
please guys, is advisable to travel overseas or start my photography career in Nigeria.... please I need advice
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by PBseller1719: 9:55am On Dec 01, 2018
Original INEC Life Power. Its brand new and will give you at least 20 hrs back up on your Laptop. Stop wasting money to fuel Gen!

1 Like

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by winj3: 9:56am On Dec 01, 2018
Most degrees in Nigeria are useless, many Nigerian graduates lack commonsense (which is better than education) so expatriates are brought in to supervise them. Don't waste your time with a Nigerian degree!

The most successful people in the world have no university degrees: electricians, plumbers, builders are richer than degree holders all over the world.

Certificates are overrated in Nigeria...with most degree holders ending up never using the actual degrees to do what they studied. If we are talking about medicine or nursing then maybe...physics, sociology, mass comm and other useless Nigerian degrees should be consigned to the dustbin.

2 Likes

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by SOFTDRINK: 9:59am On Dec 01, 2018
Please do not leave either of them cos you'll surely need it.

I had a skill before going to school, I sustained it while still in school.When I graduated,I didn't drop any C.V in anybody's office but I had three organizations calling me to come work with them.The reason is because,I developed my skill while still in school and built on my soft skills too.

Bro,you need that degree as much as you need that skill.

2 Likes

Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by Nobody: 10:00am On Dec 01, 2018
StUdY1:

you need to add a degree to your skills. This will help you achieve more strides. The good thing is you are able to combine both. Please pursue your academic ambition.
Re: Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? by easynetsms(m): 10:01am On Dec 01, 2018
Ok

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize / The Myth Behind ICT Career Skills In Nigeria – Jethro Theo Paul / How To Survive A Job Loss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.