Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,974 members, 7,806,832 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:57 AM

My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop (3656 Views)

Cost Analysis Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by dru23(m): 2:53pm On Nov 30, 2018
On my last post I narrated how my 08 Elantra was jerking and acceleration was weak. I had spent so much money with the previous mechanic that the problem was not fully solved.
So on my last visit to Nigeria about a month ago, I decided to try and put two of my uber cars together. I decided to use a mechanic that one of my uber drivers recommended . This is the same mechanic that had "ringed" my 07 elantra that I posted about during my stay in Nigeria. I was highly impressed with his work that I decided to give him the 08 Elantra that was jerking to fix
The mechanic took the car for a test drive. And he concluded that the transmission needs a replacement, speed sensor, and some other minor things done. For me personally I just wanted the car to accelerate and the jerking to stop. So over 150k was spent to get another transmission, transmission fluid, brainbox and brake change.
After the car was fix and given back to the driver. The driver stated that the car has improved a bit, but the car no longer jerks but acceleration is very weak. But he said he will have his own mechanic take a look at it . His own mechanic looked at the car and concluded that the car needs spark plugged to be flushed and nozzle needed some servicing. And the fuel pump was not the correct fuel pump. The fuel pump was a Toyota fuel pump. So 20k Naira was given to buy fuel pump and do nozzle flushed. At the end of it all the car was not operating to full capacity.
On a final effort , I now instructed the driver to take the car down to Radauto shop in Lekki. Since he leaves in Ajah and there is no point him driving back and fourth to the mainland. When my driver arrived at Radauto he meet with the technicians and a vehicle file was open. The car was scanned for 2700 Naira, and the car was taken for a test drive around the facility. After the test drive and assessment was done. The technician stated that the transmission is ok ,but the car needs rear shocks and some other items that was included in the assessment. And estimation bill of 172k Naira was given to my driver. I was told that the shop will have to order the parts. I instructed the driver to bring the list and see what I can do . The parts needed are described below from #1 to #7. The rest are miscellaneous items that I felt were important and I wanted to share with my readers

1. Spark plugs : The car needed a new spark plug. I got two sets for $23.00 . Each set obviously has 4 plugs.

2. Fuel injector Nozzle ; the nozzle needed only to be flushed . And this is done by using a chemical spray to spray out the junk. I personally felt it is better to buy a rebuilt on eBay. I bought it for $30.00

3. Throttle body : The Throttle body only needs servicing. But I figure it is best to buy a used one via ebay for $45.00

4[b]. Rear linkage[/b] : I bought a brand new one for $20.00

5. Rear shocks : I bought an extra pair of shocks few months ago that I have not used. It was a package deal from eBay. The rear shocks are brand new . It came with one set of hub wheels for $60.00 ,so we can add $60.00 to my final calculation.

6. Abs wheel speed sensor Rear left and right: I bought one for $48.00 and another for $34.00 . And I also bought some extra to keep aside. Those things can be very expensive in Nigerian market. And getting the right one is another story on its own

7. Hand brake shoe : I bought a brand new one for $27.00

8. Transmission fluid : The transmission fluid I bought goes for $78.00 (12)1liter each. This particular brand is very compatible with the Elantras . The Hyundai brand was there but it was 10 bottles for $80.00 . I noticed that a lot of car owners don't really understand the importance of the correct fluid. This fluid is not for sale, but I bought them specifically for my uber and personal cars.

9.Transmission Filter : good transmission oil should equal good filter. I got 4 pieces for $67.00 (not for sale).

10. Front shocks (two pairs for $97.00) : one of my personal and uber cars needs a replacement.. This will be my first time buying front shocks for my elantra. I bought rear shocks in the past with no problems. And till now they are going strong. Will see how the front shocks hold up. Sometimes with cheap shocks, you might end up having not so comfortable ride.. But with the Nigerian road it will be hard to tell.

11. Fuel pump : The last fuel pump I bought was 20k Naira. I decided to buy extra for safe keeping. This is a used one via ebay $35.00

10. Shock Mount : Most times drivers will complain that the shocks are bad. But in true essence, it could be a weak shock mount . I bought 2 brand new sets for $67.00 , at ladipo it goes for 5k per one that is for a used one. I plan on keeping this for emergency situations.

Radauto shop Estimate : 172k Naira

VS

Dru23 Total cost of 100kNaira:
My total estimate is 100k by using the currant exchange rate of 360. But if you really look at . It is roughly around 73k naira.. That is if you take away the cost of #2 and #3. But will can still go with the 100k Naira estimate. So these will leave room for plus and minus .

( 2 ) Advantages I was able to Utilise at Radauto

1. Free car assessment : with the free car assessment, which is free for now, elsewhere abroad it will cost me about $100 in the USA. Some shops in the USA will not give you a free complimentary assessment. Once your car is on the lift, they charge you a fee just for them to tell what needs fixing.

2. Scanning tools and Trained Technicians : The most important aspect of any shop is to have the correct tools. A lot of shops don't usually have the right scanner to scan your vehicle, either they have to borrow one or they don't have the more sophisticated scanner. With the right scanner 50% of the problem is reduced.

My conclusion : I want to make it categorically clear that my cost saving method might not be for everyone. But regardless how you look at it ,you could still find ways to save money ,it might not be as big as my savings . But you will still save certain amount. And I wish I had done this early on before spending over 150k on a transmission. I could have potentially save more money at the end .
Radauto and carquest is welcome development into the Nigerian market. And I will continue to use them as long as I can cut down or ''trim the fat " of my uber maintenance cost. Any uber fleet manager will tell you that maintenance will "eat" a lot of your profit in this uber business.

PS: Part two of my cost analysis mainly includes additional receipt and evidence that I wanted the reader to fully digest and comprehend. Thank you all and please don't be afraid to leave your comments either positive or negative below.

2 Likes

Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by afangsoup: 2:58pm On Nov 30, 2018
sorry to ask, but did your driver drive that car across the Himalayas and alps mountains that all these things went bad so quickly?

3 Likes

Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by dru23(m): 3:04pm On Nov 30, 2018
afangsoup:
sorry to ask, but did your driver drive that car across the Himalayas and alps mountains that all these things went bad so quickly?

If you read it carefully, it is only 7 things that needed to be address. The car is two years old on uber. And still running..

2 Likes

Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by antagonist: 3:04pm On Nov 30, 2018
I like your unbiased and objective evaluation

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by afangsoup: 7:15am On Dec 01, 2018
alright
Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by Kewtt: 7:37am On Dec 01, 2018
Hehehe finally you are back and wiser

1 Like

Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by pinoras24: 2:23pm On Dec 01, 2018
grateful if you can also narrate the delivery process and the cost.

1 Like

Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by dru23(m): 9:51pm On Dec 01, 2018
pinoras24:

Like I said on the conclusion of my post. My method might not be for everyone . I usually ship things down to Nigeria every now and than. So I do use that opportunity to ship stuff for me to sell and things that my cars on uber will specifically need ..eg shocks, engine oil, linkage, filters etc and I also sell Mobil 1 extended performance oil.
For your case or anybody else looking for parts for their cars. You can get a list and shop around for the best price possible . You have people that sell on nairaland, and worse comes to worse you can check prices at Trade fair center. My point is for people to shop around and compare prices or look for shipper abroad that can ship to Nigeria.. You might not save as much as I do, but you can still save something.. " half bread is better than nothing". Keep in mind my total items needed for my car is five in total if you take away throttle body and fuel injector away .. And u see the savings
Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by radautoworks: 12:01pm On Dec 04, 2018
Interesting write-up. That will work for people if they can get free/cheap shipping and warranty on their parts.

Our quote included free diagnosis, labor and a warranty. That way if the part is wrong (which does happen) or defective, no shipping back to USA and headache. Also, I'm not sure what brands you bought. Were they the same brands we quoted you?

All in all,I think we can all agree this version of you is much better.

3 Likes

Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by radautoworks: 12:03pm On Dec 04, 2018
pinoras24:

There lies the rub. Cheapest delivery company we have found so far charges $20 minimum for less than 5 pounds and $3.39 per pound for over five pounds. Unless one wants to use ocean.

1 Like

Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by OilsPartsCars: 5:22pm On Dec 12, 2018
grin

dru23 Na only God fit settle you and radautoworks wahala.

You should shoot your shot o wink, you fit score cheesy.

Warranties, Warranties, Warranties.

That word is vague angry, and i hate to deal.

You get a part, and warranty for 3 months, or lets say 10,000 miles. Of course, you dont intend to get a part you could trust for only that long. Most Inferior parts will do 3 months before failing undecided

Let us say, whoever is giving the warranty is true as claimed. There are other unprecedented events(Terms and conditions) that could void them. Most times, clients are not aware, probably they dont do due deligence in reading such claims.

What you actually pay for in warranties, are additional cost. let us say, a part was to go for 10k, warranty on it will make it 20k, this is actually not explicitly stated, you just see cost of part :20k

In the business of repairs, you really dont want to get stuck with those words, warranty. I dont want to fix a car, and have customer return because part fixed had failed. Then i call store, that claims warranty, that also got part from supplier that assured warranty, and then, and then. NO.. I really dont want to get stuck in that circle. You loosse customers, and time. In reality, it is not in black and white, it is in plenty grammars, and eventual loss of business..

Get quality parts, as long as you get a quality parts, they are enough guarranties. Now, not at cut throat price. You dont want to get a dear part in the name of warranty. Remove your warranty mbok.

I dont know if this makes sense to anyone.

1 Like

Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by dru23(m): 7:19pm On Dec 12, 2018
OilsPartsCars:
grin

dru23 Na only God fit settle you and radautoworks wahala.

You should shoot your shot o wink, you fit score cheesy.

Warranties, Warranties, Warranties.

That word is vague angry, and i hate to deal.

You get a part, and warranty for 3 months, or lets say 10,000 miles. Of course, you dont intend to get a part you could trust for only that long. Most Inferior parts will do 3 months before failing undecided

Let us say, whoever is giving the warranty is true as claimed. There are other unprecedented events(Terms and conditions) that could void them. Most times, clients are not aware, probably they dont do due deligence in reading such claims.

What you actually pay for in warranties, are additional cost. let us say, a part was to go for 10k, warranty on it will make it 20k, this is actually not explicitly stated, you just see cost of part :20k

In the business of repairs, you really dont want to get stuck with those words, warranty. I dont want to fix a car, and have customer return because part fixed had failed. Then i call store, that claims warranty, that also got part from supplier that assured warranty, and then, and then. NO.. I really dont want to get stuck in that circle. You loosse customers, and time. In reality, it is not in black and white, it is in plenty grammars, and eventual loss of business..

Get quality parts, as long as you get a quality parts, they are enough guarranties. Now, not at cut throat price. You dont want to get a dear part in the name of warranty. Remove your warranty mbok.

I dont know if this makes sense to anyone.

My brother if I talk now they go say I dey craze... let me tell you funny story.. The same company here or parent company called Autozone.. I bought brake pads from them years, and years ago .. So the brake pad came with a warranty. Unlimited warranty.. But to change brake pads in Yankee is about $50.00 to close to $100.00 . So if I have unlimited warranty for a year ..what about the cost for me to change brake pads? So by the time I change brake pads the cost of changing it would of been enough to buy the car manufacturer's brand.. Wouldn't it have made sense just to go to the dealer and buy the more expensive brand.. Knowing that it will last me years to come? Funny enough that brake pad lasted a year, I didn't even bother myself.. I just bought myself a more expensive brand after that...
Now I keep saying carquest is a welcome development in the Nigerian market.. But at times she makes it seem like it is the best thing since slice bread... pretty soon now her zombie followers go come for me with their keyboard..
Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by OilsPartsCars: 7:57pm On Dec 12, 2018
dru23:

My brother if I talk now they go say I dey craze...

she makes it seem like it is the best thing since slice bread...

pretty soon now her zombie followers go come for me with their keyboard..

Nwa, when did I turn to your brother cheesy embarassed, I don't need no patronage tongue

And if you don't blow your trumpet, who will. Leave Madam alone. You too dey look for her trouble, and she sef they trip for you.

When you are at that point in business, and you get true follwership, and people who trust and hold up your brand, then you are on track.

Sell your oil, let her do her business.

This life is a pot of burnt beans, nothing to hold briefs for.

2 Likes

Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by dru23(m): 10:27pm On Dec 12, 2018
OilsPartsCars:

Nwa, when did I turn to your brother cheesy embarassed, I don't need no patronage tongue

And if you don't blow your trumpet, who will. Leave Madam alone. You too dey look for her trouble, and she sef they trip for you.

When you are at that point in business, and you get true follwership, and people who trust and hold up your brand, then you are on track.

Sell your oil, let her do her business.

This life is a pot of burnt beans, nothing to hold briefs for.

3 Likes

Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by radautoworks: 11:38pm On Dec 12, 2018
AutoZone has nothing to do with Carquest and the norm for brakes in "Yankee" is $50 including parts, installation and if you're lucky, lifetime warranty. Lifetime warranty means you'll NEVER buy another set of brakes for that car again. You bring the old set, get a new set absolutely free and take it to wherever you want for installation. In Rad Auto Works' case for example, installation would be N5,000 SMH

1 Like

Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by dru23(m): 6:03am On Dec 13, 2018
radautoworks:
AutoZone has nothing to do with Carquest and the norm for brakes in "Yankee" is $50 including parts, installation and if you're lucky, lifetime warranty. Lifetime warranty means you'll NEVER buy another set of brakes for that car again. You bring the old set, get a new set absolutely free and take it to wherever you want for installation. In Rad Auto Works' case for example, installation would be N5,000 SMH

There is not much difference between carquest, Advance Auto parts and Autozone .. They all offer similar warranty and they are also autoparts store.. They are not mechanic shops at all .. You go there buy your parts or take it to your mechanic to fix for you if you can't do it yourself...
The unlimited warranty can be good or bad ..if you take your parts back to the store to get another one under the warranty.. Who pays for labour ? You off course unless you can do the job yourself.... My experience for example at Autozone ,I had brake pads change and I had one year unlimited warranty on it .. I am not a mechanic type of a guy.. So it cost me about $50 or $100 to change my brake pads and disc .. Both front and rear ..this is just labour o ... So the brake pads were unlimited and it lasted me less than a year to change them .. That is about $50 to $100 to change them again ..this is a long time ago.. .. So I now decided to than buy the brake pads from the dealer because of better quality.. All these stores in USA can offer unlimited warranty coz of the semi low quality of the parts .. But if you are buying the same parts at the dealership, it will cost you at least three times more than part store.. But you get better quality and more bang for your money...
The example I gave is my USA experience.. But for me personally I won't want to be paying 5k naira everytime I want to change something coz of warranty.. I would prefer to buy my parts that will last me years to come... for me in particular the original disc ,brake pads that came with my car at that time ..lasted me few years before I had to change them ..this is the advantages you get when buying from the dealership.. It will cost you at the beginning, but it will be worth it long run..
Like I said again Carquest is welcome development in the Nigerian Auto industry.. Their business models will do just fine ,this is due to the fact that Carquest parts will be at least better than the China parts that are been imported into Nigeria.. Most Auto parts are made in China including the American parts.. The only difference is that the American parts are better regulated and have better quality control .
Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by Kewtt: 6:13am On Dec 13, 2018
dru23:

There is not much difference between carquest, Advance Auto parts and Autozone .. They all offer similar warranty and they are also autoparts store.. They are not mechanic shops at all .. You go there buy your parts or take it to your mechanic to fix for you if you can't do it yourself...
The unlimited warranty can be good or bad ..if you take your parts back to the store to get another one under the warranty.. Who pays for labour ? You off course unless you can do the job yourself.... My experience for example at Autozone ,I had brake pads change and I had one year unlimited warranty on it .. I am not a mechanic type of a guy.. So it cost me about $50 or $100 to change my brake pads and disc .. Both front and rear ..this is just labour o ... So the brake pads were unlimited and it lasted me less than a year to change them .. That is about $50 to $100 to change them again ..this is a long time ago.. .. So I now decided to than buy the brake pads from the dealer because of better quality.. All these stores in USA can offer unlimited warranty coz of the semi low quality of the parts .. But if you are buying the same parts at the dealership, it will cost you at least three times more than part store.. But you get better quality and more bang for your money...
How was the brief ban? Insult anyone's family again and get banned!!

1 Like

Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by dru23(m): 7:08am On Dec 13, 2018
Kewtt:

How was the brief ban? Insult anyone's family again and get banned!!

Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by OilsPartsCars: 9:19am On Dec 13, 2018
dru23:

There is not much difference between carquest, Advance Auto parts and Autozone .. They all offer similar warranty and they are also autoparts store..

Like I said again Carquest is welcome development in the Nigerian Auto industry.. Their business models will do just fine ,this is due to the fact that Carquest parts will be at least better than the China parts that are been imported into Nigeria.. Most Auto parts are made in China including the American parts Carquest.. [s]The only difference is that the American parts are better regulated and have better quality control[/s] WARRANTIED.

You get what you pay for in China. Almost all parts are made in China. Look around you, You see China. You could get American, European, Asian, African specifications. It is still made in China

1 Like

Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by dru23(m): 12:36pm On Dec 13, 2018
OilsPartsCars:

You get what you pay for in China. Almost all parts are made in China. Look around you, You see China. You could get American, European, Asian, African specifications. It is still made in China

The point is that American stuff that are made in China have better quality control than any other places... you can't blame China in way. It is whatever you ask them to make is what they will make.. They get grade level of all their products..
Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by OilsPartsCars: 5:32pm On Dec 13, 2018
dru23:

The point is that American stuff that are made in China have better quality control than any other places... you can't blame China in way. It is whatever you ask them to make is what they will make.. They get grade level of all their products..

Correct
Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by ojeysky(m): 12:03am On Dec 15, 2018
radautoworks:

There lies the rub. Cheapest delivery company we have found so far charges $20 minimum for less than 5 pounds and $3.39 per pound for over five pounds. Unless one wants to use ocean.

Am curious about the delivery company that does 3.39 and will be good to know the ocean option cost
Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by radautoworks: 6:56am On Dec 15, 2018
ojeysky:

Am curious about the delivery company that does 3.39 and will be good to know the ocean option cost

Unlike others, not a huge secret. I've said it a few times on here. GIG
Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by ojeysky(m): 8:00am On Dec 15, 2018
radautoworks:

Unlike others, not a huge secret. I've said it a few times on here. GIG

Thanks a lot, but I could not find the ocean shipping option information on their website
Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by radautoworks: 6:51am On Dec 16, 2018
ojeysky:

Thanks a lot, but I could not find the ocean shipping option information on their website

I don't use them for ocean. We have a different shipper for ocean. Just call them and ask.
Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by DeCanadian: 1:24pm On Dec 16, 2018
Did your ride improve finally ? What where the lessons you learnt along the fixes pls educate us.

2 Likes

Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by dru23(m): 4:02pm On Dec 16, 2018
DeCanadian:
Did your ride improve finally ? What where the lessons you learnt along the fixes pls educate us.

The items I bought is 7 in total.. They should arrive pretty soon . One of major issue with the car was the front catalyst converter . It was giving out bad fuel milage. But after my mechanic fixed it the car was running much better.. Now parts like spark plug will be replaced and the fuel Injector .. The car is over 150k miles so logically those parts are long overdue... rear linkage and shocks are easy part of it.. The other parts like ATF ,fuel filter and speed sensor will only enhance the performance of the car.. And this is not my first time buying parts directly from eBay.. So my experience so far is working perfectly for me .. Another example is shocks that I bought on ebay for my elantra. It cost me $100 for front and rear shocks.. Those shocks are still going strong on cars that needed them.. This is 1 year plus now ...so you just have to find what works for u
Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by ojeysky(m): 5:05pm On Dec 16, 2018
radautoworks:

I don't use them for ocean. We have a different shipper for ocean. Just call them and ask.

If am not asking too much can you provide me with contact for the ocean shipper that you use?
Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by radautoworks: 5:14pm On Dec 16, 2018
ojeysky:

If am not asking too much can you provide me with contact for the ocean shipper that you use?

Africa 2000 inc. they are based in Houston, the owner is Senegalese and one of the finest people I've ever met. We've been using them for over a decade and they have a bonded warehouse at the airport not a little storefront in town. The only caveat is they do not get involved in clearing. You will need your own clearing agent. They are Masters at packing a container though and customs will be hard pressed rummaging through your stuff tongue

2 Likes

Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by selfmadeOLX(m): 11:43pm On Dec 18, 2018
radautoworks:

What is the name of that app and/or website he used in sourcing the parts?
Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by dru23(m): 1:44am On Dec 19, 2018
selfmadeOLX:

What is the name of that app and/or website he used in sourcing the parts?

Ebay my brother... you can get good parts at eBay. Have been doing it for years now.. For my elantra cars ,eBay has been nothing but an excellent source for me. Can't complain at all ..now for other cars parts or brand I can't speak for .. I can only speak for what have done and experience
Re: My Cost Analysis At Radauto Shop by tolulope855(m): 4:02am On Dec 19, 2018
Honorable oil importer himself

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much For Honda Baby Boy Gear Box / New Chinese Traffic Light In Abuja To Be Avoided By All Means. / How I Was Disgraced By A Kia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.